Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-02-2009, 08:33 AM   #16  
Crazy runner

S/C/G: 213/131/maintaining

Height: 5'4.5"

Hey all! Glad to see the new thread!

In terms of my running goals...well my big one needs to be running 5 miles on my long days. I have a 10k in November so I really need to step it up.

I have a 5k next Saturday and for that I'd just like to beat my previous time (so a sub-34).
Fat Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:17 AM   #17  
Don't Stop Me Now!

S/C/G: 205/177/145

Height: 5-10

Ladies, are any of you calorie counters? I'd love some input...

I'm currently hitting between 1,400-1,600 calories a day and not feeling hungry (I've focused on nutrient-dense, clean foods - lots of fruits and veggies, brown grains, lean protein...). But I'm wondering if I should increase that as my running increases??

The reason I ask is because today is my weekly weigh in, and I didn't lose at all (I may have gained one pound, there's confusion because I got a new scale ) Not happy!! I know plateaus happen, but I've heard so much about insufficient calorie intake stalling metabolism, so if that's the problem, I want to fix it and mark up my usual 2-pounds-lost next week!

So if any of you follow calories, I'd love to know how you plan your calories to account for more or less running...
sharongracepjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:19 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 165/---/148

I have a similar goal Fat Pants, but I'm thinking that since I have the time (not signed up for any race currently), I'm going to focus on speed. That way, when I start running longer distances, I don't have to make so much time out of my schedule because I'll be sooooo fast!

Sharon: I'm a calorie counter. I feel similarly. I attempt to get into that range, though normally I fall below it (if I'm feeling really good) or go a little above it... since I figure I can burn it off. I just try to fall within the 1700 range +-300 calories if possible. I found some thing that does calorie cyling for people who do exercise 3x and everyday... and basically if you want to lose weight (at least for my height) at a reasonable rate, you'd go for between 1700-1900 depending on how much you're working out. I run most nights (though taking the next three nights off....) and you don't want to slow your metabolism that much. Just watch what you're eating... and maybe find a calorie cycler that takes into account your stats and try to fall around that range when possible! I've definitely seen results since I started running most nights though!

Last edited by loquaciousjogger; 10-02-2009 at 09:24 AM.
loquaciousjogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:32 AM   #19  
Ilene the Bean

Sharon, I calorie count and try to stay between 1300-1500 calories/day, if I go over, I gain... if you're not feeling weak or light headed, I'd say stay within your range of 1,400-1,600 for a few weeks along with your increased running and see how much you lose or not and how you feel... (IMHO, I don't believe in this eat more, lose weight... UNLESS you're a heavy HEAVY lifter or training for an Ironman....Just my 2 cents... )
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 10:06 AM   #20  
Crazy runner

S/C/G: 213/131/maintaining

Height: 5'4.5"

Sharon, I also calorie count... I lost the first 50 lbs on 1200 calories a day and still running but I was SO out of shape that it just kind of flew off...then all of a sudden it stalled out for a few weeks. Now that I weigh less and am in way better shape, I have to run longer/harder to burn the same amount of calories - also the cross training has really helped get the weight moving again.

I eat ONE higher calorie day (around 1500-1600), and the rest back to 1200. Like Ilene, if I go over, I start to gain.
Fat Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 10:07 AM   #21  
Don't Stop Me Now!

@Ilene - thanks for the input...however, I am 7 INCHES taller than you! LOL! So maybe we shouldn't be at the exact same calorie level!! Maybe I should join @loquacious in the 1700 range!

Keep the thoughts coming! You ladies are so smart and always have the best down-to-earth advice!
Old 10-02-2009, 10:10 AM   #22  
Don't Stop Me Now!

@SkinnyTights (I'm determined to make this name take off...) you snuck your comment in while I was typing mine!

Your and @Ilene's cycling idea makes sense - maybe if I try eating a bit higher on days I run and a bit lower on days I don't? I tend to have a higher calorie day on Fridays, my weigh-in day, because I'll usually let myself have a pizza dinner or something else special...not this week, though!

I am going to focus on eating really well this week since my 10K is just 8 days away (FREAKOUT!!!) and I need plenty of energy for great runs!!

I've lost my first 30 on about 1200/day but I'm running WAY more now than at the beginning and I don't want to make my metabolism think I'm starving

What kind of crosstraining do y'all do?
Old 10-02-2009, 10:38 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 213\see ticker\165

Height: 5' 9"

I do not count calories, but have any of you seen this website. It explains calorie cycling and gives you a range based on criteria.

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm
jeweliek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 10:51 AM   #24  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

Uggghhh...calories counting.....so confusing...... I used MRC to lose weight (IMO the most effictive weightloss plan in the world, if you can afford it!!) I was on it all summer...lost the majority of my weight in the first 2 months.....and have completely stalled for the last 2 months (which is ok, im at my "happy" weight, for NOW) You dont count calories on the program, but one week i decided just for fun, to track the calories.....I was taking in approximately 1250 - 1400 cals a day. This is RECENTLY. With how much i run....... On the MRC plan, i NEVER felt like i was overly fatigued, or didnt have the energy to do my workouts and my runs...... but i mean, come one......i HAVE to have been in starvation modet his whole time, which is the only thing that explains why i havent lsot ANY weight for over two months........ i am operating at an "average" deficit of at LEAST 600 calories, EVERYDAY. Some days my deficit is as much as 2000 calories (if i have a really long run, like 15-20 miles). I eat UBER clean. Im TERRIFIED to up my calories though. to "maintain" i need to be eating anywhere from 1900-2300 MOST days, and then somedays as much as 3000 calories. This has disaster written all over it. I dont think my body would know what to do if i gave it the calories it "needs:...
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 11:07 AM   #25  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkroyer View Post
Uggghhh...calories counting.....so confusing...... I used MRC to lose weight (IMO the most effictive weightloss plan in the world, if you can afford it!!)
I'm on MRC too.....I have checked cals but I am no where near 1400 on this. I sit between 900 and 1100....I just wanted to say that you are amazing tho. I love how much you run and reading your posts.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:14 AM   #26  
Tellin' it like it is!

Default McMillin Running Calculator

SPEED VS ENDURANCE (again)....

You guys are posting aLOT about this stuff lately!! i LUVE YOU GUYS. Im trying to remember if i was this obseessive about it when i first started running......
#1) you will get naturally faster when you drop the weight. FOr those of you still quite a ways from goal (20+ pounds or more) you just have to trust me on this. it will come with NO effort the more weight you lose.

#2) FOr those of us runners who are not "technically" brand new runners, but still feel we are very slow...... You talk about should i work on endurance/distance right now, or should i focus on speed? "im going to wait till after such and such, and then focus on speed..." etc, etc......
IF youve been running long enough that your body is now used to running, even if you arent running much farther than like a 5K, or even a 10K----
You need to start focusing on both. Any training plan worth training with is going to incorporate the following---one day LONG run, one day SPEED/track workout. Do you see what im getting at here? Just like you cant hope to run a marathon overnight, you cant hope to be fast over night. It is the gradual build up, the PROGRESSION that enables you to run long. It is the same way with running faster (only faster takes ALOT longer to get than running long miles, in my opinion). I think ive said this before, but i will say it agian : doing your weekly trackworkout or speed run is like putting pennies into a piggy bank. They arent worth much now, they wont be worht much next month, but OVER TIME, if you KEEP putting your pennies in there, they will payoff!
Lets say you guys have already started putting your pennies in now, but arent reaping the benefits you thought you may have seen by now......Then it is time to look at the integrity of your speed work. Speed work makes you faster by increasing your VO2Max, and by increasing your lactic acid threshold and turnover rate. If you arent running your intervals at the right pace for you (whether too fast or too slow) and you arent doing your tempo runs at just below YOUR PERSONAL LA threshold, or maybe you are resting too long in between intervals, or not doing them at the right distance...ETC ETC, thenyou have comprimised the integrity of the speed workout, and you WONT see the benfits. Its different for everyone. i hope that all didnt sound as harsh as it probaby does. I am trying to help

Here is a link that i think all of you need to check out. Its a running calculator. You are going to imput your BEST time for WHATEVER distance you want (whether one mile, or a 5K, or a marathon). Based on your PERSONAL BEST at that distance, its going to not ONLY give you projected finishing times at ALL other distances (taking into account natural slowing if it a longer race, or quicker paces for shorter distances) but more importantly, it will give you a breakdown of the EXACT pace you need to be running at for all SORTS of speedworkouts. If you are doing a LONG tempo run, it will tell you YOUR exact pace to get the most out of it. if you are doing 400 meter repeat intervals, it wil tell you exaclty what YOUR pace needs to be to get the most out of it. check it evryone...its a cool website!!
http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/mcmil...calculator.htm

if you guys have any questions about how to interpret what it is telling you, just ask!! I d love to help!!!!
(SO- click the button next to the distance you want to use on it, THEN enter your best time for whatever distance you chose, THEN hit calculate)

FYI the calculator is pretty spot on for most of my times ive done so far. it DOES however, predict i can run a marathon in 3hr 39 minutes---which would qualify me for Boston by one minute. Too bad i havent been training this whole time to run it that fast!!! Im not going to change my game plan now, which is to run it at a 9 minute mile, which is what ive been practicing at for months. Next marathon i will trainin to qualify fo Boston.....

Last edited by mkroyer; 10-02-2009 at 11:25 AM.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:17 AM   #27  
Tellin' it like it is!

jewelie--in stabilization im getting that many calories, BUT i also INTENTIONALLY do the "higher"calorie options and add ins, like apples for lunc vs cantelope (80 cals vs 40cals) and i always add in the 2 tsp safflower oil, things like that....... and thank you for your kind words!!! I feel like ive been such a narcississt lately!!!
Old 10-02-2009, 11:28 AM   #28  
Ilene the Bean

What is the MRC plan?
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 11:34 AM   #29  

S/C/G: 165/---/148

I forgot you're so tall sharon! I've been trying to reign in my calories, but I'm also pretty young... so it probably would make it easier. Trying to really watch what I eat--and average around 1600-1700 per week if possible! I so want to lose this weight... Last week I besides a few terrible binges, I cut my calories and saw really little improvement... so, I'm pretty convinced I need over 1350 in order to function since I run most nights. That's me though. I think everyone has different needs...

MRC is a weight-loss plan. I don't know much about though..

btw thanks mkroyer for the tips about speed/endurance. I'll keep that in mind. But, for increasing endurance, is the walk/run alternative is a good option? and for how long should you alternate between the two? 5min/1min?

I hope everyone has a fantastic weekend and some amazing runs. I will make up for the weekend's failures on Sunday night during a nice long jog. I'm hoping to squeeze in a hike at least since I'm going camping...

Last edited by loquaciousjogger; 10-02-2009 at 11:38 AM.
loquaciousjogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 11:40 AM   #30  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene View Post
What is the MRC plan?
MRC is Metabolic Research Center
the diet is very strict but very effective. You are given a menu for your weight and you have one on one meetings at a center. They will take your blood pressure and look at your food journal and help you. You need to go in 2 times a week but can come in for weigh ins and help as much as you want. They also have group classes to help you with the mental aspect of losing weight. To be perfectly honest it is very sensible way to eat....lean protein, low cal starch and lots of veggies. Only prob I have is there is only 1 serving of fruit each day due to the sugar in them.

After you loose the weight you go thru stabilization where they help you add to your diet and get back to a new cleaner, but more normal lifestyle. Then they help you for 1 year of maintenance.

Last edited by jeweliek; 10-02-2009 at 11:43 AM.