Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 08:29 AM   #61  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Wowee, after sleeping a lot yesterday, I think I'm beginning to feel almost human again . . . and guess the two pounds I was seeing yesterday were just www because, happily, they are gone again this morning. Blood sugar is still running too high and I still have residual knee pain and some neck pain, though. Hopefully those will both disappear soon too.

I definitely did NOT drive all the way to NC. Drove to Halifax (about 1.5 hours) and flew to Newark, NJ and then on to Asheville, NC. Trip down wasn't bad, but coming home I had a very boring but tiring four hour layover in Newark and I think that was what really did me in.

Our weather is almost perfect for the first full day of Autumn -- sunny and the predicted high is going to be about 14C/57F -- so as soon as I clean the litter pans and have a shower, I am out of here. Must do some grocery shopping or I may be reduced to eating cat kibble soon.

Have a great day, everybody . . .
Old 09-23-2008, 09:24 AM   #62  
MSer living healthy

S/C/G: 300/176/170

Height: 5ft 8in

Hi Ladies

This is a swift drop in today as I have been for my oxygen therapy and I am very tired now. Though I thought I would make an appearance and then answer posts hopefully tomorrow when I have a little more time and feel more human again.

Weather still remains showers and very overcast and it sure does feel cold at 14c or it may be me being Eskimo Nell ( often cold when really it is not that cold ). I am wearing my thermal socks at the night time at least until well into the night.

Just going to have a drink then have a rest on the bed before I crack on with an evening meal. Having a cooked tea as being at the ms centre today and DH operating the tanks (oxygen therapy ones) I take food with us to the centre to stop us delving in the biscuit barrel which is there.

Bye for now and take care purpleorc
Old 09-23-2008, 02:03 PM   #63  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

HI LADIES ~ Well, we had a doozy of a rainstorm last night, but no thunder or lightening. The sun is trying to shine a bit right now, and we could use it as it is damp and chilly out there. I have spent most of my day so far making phone calls about housing.

Well, I finally know why we haven't heard back from people: one was avoiding us and the other was stalling. Turns out, both of them have their places up for sale. One place had a price that was ridiculous for in the country; I told her that I thought the place was too big for us. Guess what the heating costs are: would you believe $300-$400 per month. And they wanted $600 per month for the rent, plus hydro ($150+) on top of that! Don't know what she was thinking asking us to rent that place. I think as soon as anybody finds out the heating costs in that place, they will run away ... screaming !!!

The other one which is a small tiny house has an offer to buy it; so she has asked us to wait awhile but DH isn't that keen on renting a place that's for sale again (like where we are now). That's why we are having to leave this place; DH doesn't want to go to a place like that again. I think that is going to be my first question to any place we look at from now on: IS THIS PLACE UP FOR SALE???

EEKS ... you sure need a lot of faith to find a place to live today. Since we last moved, the rents have doubled; hydro has tripled; and heating costs have quadrupled ~ LOL!!! You have to laugh, or you would just spend all your time crying ...

Well, at least we still have one offer; and it is more reasonable, but we will have to be very frugal to keep the utility costs down. Keep praying for us; cuz we sure need it.

HI MEOWEE ~ I kinda figured that you didn't drive becuz driving all the way to North Carolina would take a couple of days just one way. My parents and my sister drove down to Florida one year, and I think it took them a week each way; they stayed with a family friend for about a month while they were there.

HI PURPLE ~ yah, I seem to be the same these days; the damp and cold really bother my legs and feet and hands. Before coming on here, I had just asked DH to put up the heat for a while, as it is damp and cold in here right now. We also have a small turbo heater that we can use to take the the chill out of the air, if need be.

I got a lot of packing done yesterday (five boxes), so I am taking it a bit easier today. DH is taking a breather today too; he is doing fall yard work ... tidying up for the winter. We have a fall pick-up here, so that helps out too. The garden is almost done now; we still have some carrots and onions which can take a lot of cold, but that is it for this year.

HIYA VAL and CAFFEINE ~ hope you ladies are feeling well this week.

Well, I guess I better get going and get something out for supper; probably will have fish today since it's Tuesday. We rotate white meat and red meat days as much as we can; and light meals verses big meals too. So take good care, your friend ROSEBUD
Old 09-24-2008, 01:56 PM   #64  
Onward and Downward

Oh phooey, now I've come down with a doozey of a cold -- coughing and sneezing and a through so sore I can barely swallow. Just too many aircraft and airports over the weekend I guess.

Weather is gorgeous however . . . . . . so hopefully I'll be feeling better really soon.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:28 PM   #65  
Rosebud

HEY THERE CHICKIES ~ we had another lovely fall day with warm temps and sunshine. I spent my day so far packing up dishes and delicate glassware. Time for a break, so came in here to read and post a bit.

MEOWEE ~ so sorry to hear that when you got home that you have a bad cold; there has been a nasty cold/flu going around Ontario for awhile now (people in the North and South have caught it). We had it, but it seems we are finally at the end of it; touch wood!!! Do make sure to get lots of rest; and sure hope you're feeling better soon.

TO PURPLE ~ hope you are having a good day today, as I know yesterday was a busy one.

TO VAL ~ hope you had a nice time on your weekend cruise in Mexico. I probably told you that I went to Mexico for nine days when I was sixteen y/o; loved the pyramids and the old Spanish city we went to (Merida, in the Yucatan Penninsula).

TO CAFFEINE ~ hope you are feeling better this week and those cluster headaches aren't giving you too much of a problem.

Well, it's time for me to go start getting dinner on; we are having a pasta dish tonight as it's Wednesday. Trying to stick to my menu plan as best we can. Not much else to report right now; no changes in the home front. DH spent the entire day doing wiring on his trailer; he was very upset as his memory isn't too good these days, but he finally got it by 3:30 pm. We were getting ready to take it to the garage again ~ LOL!

ANYHOW, take good care of yourselves ladies, and have a great evening ~ your friend ROSEBUD

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 09-24-2008 at 04:29 PM.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:23 AM   #66  
MSer living healthy

Hi Ladies

Sorry I did not drop by yesterday but I think due to the fact it was so cold I was feeling like I do when it is really hot. My movements were very slow and everything was just an effort. Fortunately on waking today I am feeling much better fingers crossed I stay that way. I have never been effected by the cold like that, Yes I have all to often with the heat. I have heard that some MS can feel like that in the cold but I have never experienced it until yesterday. It even slowed my thoughts it was so weird especially as I normally feel so well on a Wednesday as it is the day after my treatment. I am very thankful that I feel much improved today.

ROSEBUD Many thanks for the recipe for the bran muffins. I will have to "translate" the measurements from cups to ounces as we do not use cups here in the UK. I use pounds and ounces but the younger generation use grammes. I can use that system but takes me a while to "translate" one to the other. When I went to school the distance was changed to the metric system of centimetres and Metres. Then the same with weights but I use the old system as my parents did as they were not use to this system and did not understand it fully. Will definitely be making them and popping them in the freezer as standbys. Great if guests pop by you can offer them tea and cake. (very English tradition but not great for the waistline )

I have just made a couple of muffins for DH this time I have put some dried apricots in with nuts. A local supermarket had a sale on such items so I have bought a couple of packets but I will soon whip through that with making muffins for DH and friends

gosh what will you be paying for the whole streets heating our gas and electric bill per month come to under half of that. Plus you know how mega expensive every thing is here. What is the bill hydro ? the only thing I can think is water? Here we pay for water per month and that is about $60 per month for 8 months of the year then nothing for the other 4 kind of strange but that is the way it is done.

Yesterday decided to be adventurous and try and do a French polish manicure on myself. I am rather pleased with my efforts and my nails look nice. I am sure I will get much better with practice. I do like to wear a nail polish if at all possible I know it is me showing off because for years and I mean years I bit my nails. Well I bit them well into my early 30's then eventually broke the habit so now I treat myself and show my nails off. The trouble is most think they are false now in the era of acrylic nails but they are what god gave me.

Like yourself I rotate the fish, white and red meat. Though red meat does not feature so much on the menu now but we still have it. Will be doing spaghetti Bolognese tomorrow with mince (ground) turkey and then I will be doing sweet and sour pork with brown rice. Beyond that I have not made up my mind but will do sometime today so that I may plan. I am being a lucky bunny DH is taking me out for dinner today as I was not very good yesterday. Will post a card to Mum and Dad as it is their wedding anniversary and they will have been married 48 years on Saturday. On the same day it will be DH sisters birthday and she will be 50 so another special day.

MEOWEE hope you are better soon colds can really wipe you out for several days not to mention how you feel. It is such a pity after your few days away for a break. Wrap up warm, plenty of fluids and medication to take the temperature down is about the top and bottom of it.

Like you my weight gain from my holiday must have been fluid as I am back to my ticker weight again. I think a change of routine and maybe extra walking can be the main culprit on my holiday for my weight gain. Typical DH lost 2lb on holiday and I swear he gave it to me Now the rolls are reversed I have plateaued and DH is losing. For so long DH was on 224lbs and could not budge the scales was super glued at that figure. Though since starting on the flaxseed muffins he is now down to 219 in a matter of a couple of weeks or so. Not that I am jealous of him far from it I am so pleased for him as he tried so hard and it is difficult if you have a very sweet tooth and eating the healthier things is life do not come easy. So he has come such a long way considering he was approximately 290lbs and 5ft 11". His next mile stone to reach 5 1/2 stone which in English is 215lbs so he is so nearly there now.

CAFFEINEIV Hope you are having a wonderful holiday looked at the long range weather forecast for the next 10 days and it is not suppose to rain just alternate between being sunny and cloudy which is good at least it is not raining. Look forward to you telling us of your time with the photograph in the Lake district and Peak district such beautiful places in there own way.

VALDINE Hope your holiday is going great just before you commence your new post. Looking forward to you telling us about your latest travels and how the new job is going.

Time to shift as we have a few things to do in town so for now bye bye and take care ladies

Last edited by purpleorc; 09-25-2008 at 05:32 AM.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:38 PM   #67  
Onward and Downward

Cough . . . snuffle . . . sneeze . . . that seems to be about it for me today -- between naps of course.

See you later . . .
Old 09-25-2008, 03:43 PM   #68  
M.S. + living balance

S/C/G: 325/200's/199

Height: 5'10"

I made it back home. I spent an extra day in winnipeg to shop and visit my grandmother so I was outta town for a week total. But it was such a good break. more to come later!
Old 09-26-2008, 05:43 AM   #69  
MSer living healthy

Good morning fellow chicks

Not a lot of news here today to chat about as I have not done much since yesterday. Today when I get my act into to gear I will be cracking on with those house hold chores but found another excuse not to do them yet by coming and posting on here It is not as though I am wanting inspiration to do them more like a fairy godmother I know once I start cracking on they will be done in no time it is just the getting going sometimes that takes some doing. Then I do not know always when to stop

Another grey and overcast day here but at least I can manage my exercise in weather that is like this. Just been chatting to my sister the first time in a few weeks which is unusually for us to go so long. Unfortunately she has a back injury which she is in a huge amount of pain with even went on morphine at one time but that made her feel so bad I hope that she soon gets it sorted and gets some relief.

VALDINE Welcome back from your travels and seeing your grandmother. Looking forward to hearing from you when you have recovered. Nice and thoughtful of you to drop by even though you must be shattered.

MEOWEE Sorry to hear that the cold is still being rotten and you are feeling what we call "death warmed up" A strange expression we have for somethings the mind boggles Wrap up warm and plenty of fluids.

ROSEBUD

CAFFEINEIV

Enough now of my dilly dallying around and time to shake a leg. I am sure that in an hour it will all be ship shape around here. So till next time take care

Last edited by purpleorc; 09-26-2008 at 05:44 AM.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:16 AM   #70  
Onward and Downward

Sore throat has retreated a little . . . but definitely still doing the sneezing and snuffling routines. Oh well, this too will pass.

Have a great Friday . . . carrot:
Old 09-26-2008, 08:53 AM   #71  
MSer living healthy

Hi I am back again like the proverbal bad penny

Well I eventually did get motoring and was quite productive when I did. Did the daily hoovering (vacuuming) due to the constant dog hairs Rizzie sheds quicker than I can pick them up . Then I have made spagehetti bolognese for today with ground mince and then put some black eyed beans in to pack it out and use less meat. Must admit enjoyed lunch and the first time I had used this type of bean. The pasta we used was wholemeal so again rather filling. I cooked a sweet and sour with pork but put butter beans in to cut down on the meat. Never used these beans either so being rather adventurous. The rest of the butter beans I think I will put in the vegetable soup I plan to make tomorrow with the vegetables I have.

I also made some flaxseed cakes as well they are now cooked and put away in an air tight container. Must admit I am somewhat tired now so I think after this coffee I will have a lie down to recharge the batteries.

MEOWEE Lets hope the cold is on its way out if the throat is subsiding a little fingers crossed.

Will have a shower in a bit which hopefully will wake me up a little. Will wash my hair but it will not dry for many hours with it being so long and thick. Bye again and take care
Old 09-26-2008, 08:10 PM   #72  
Rosebud

HI LADIES ~ have had just too much on my plate lately, so I didn't get in to post yesterday. Still did a little packing of dishes; now I don't have much of that left; just my main set which I will now wait until just before we move. Checked the paper tonight: not much in there of interest for us I'm afraid, but we will keep looking.

HEY PURPLE ~ Glad you like the recipe; I wondered if you would be able to transcribe those amounts. I had a book that could do that; but I think I packed it already, as that was one of the first things I did. The cold affects me the same way; it makes my legs and feet hurt like crazy and that makes them feel like lead weights.

Oh BTW, HYDRO is a Canadian name for 'ELECTRICITY', as in a Hydro Dam that produces electricity. Your water is about $40.00 per month; many here are the same or even higher. Yes, the heat bills here have been going up in a crazy fashion: pure greed only, there's not really any good reason for it.

At least, we still have one place possible yet; maybe a couple more that I may call about to see if they are main floor level as they didn't specify. There's no point taking something that is too problematic though.

HI MEOWEE ~ glad you are starting to feel a tad better ...

HIYA VAL ~ nice to see you back and glad you had a fun time on your trip and shopping in Edmonton.

CAFFEINE IV ~ thanks for the reminder from PURPLE that you are on a holiday to England ... boy, is my memory crap these days. I'm sure it's partly due to so much on our minds lately too.

Spent the day doing emails, letters, research, and other very 'heady' stuff; but I purposely spent an hour sunbathing out on our deck; gee, I sure hope we get a sundeck wherever we are going, if not DH says he will build one. Sunny fall days are best for sunning because there's no bugs. When I was moving something, I scraped my left calf a bit; the sunning helped to dry it up. I'm glad I found this method to help it on a site on the net (a tip from a doctor). I'm gonna have to be more careful about that as we are moving stuff around the place.

Well, that's about all from here; not much to report: we had hamburglers for dinner tonight (I only eat one whole wheat bun to save on calories and carbs). Yesterday, I went through the entire freezer, cleaning it out and found five packs of STEAKETTES (special hamburgers), so I want to use them up before we move, so we have less stuff to cart with us.

Have a great Friday evening ladies, and take good care; your friend ROSEBUD PS: if I missed anything, I'll catch up later ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 09-26-2008 at 08:17 PM.
Old 09-27-2008, 06:56 AM   #73  
MSer living healthy

Good morning fellow chicks

It seems to be a lovely autumnal day with a sun shine though there was fog this morning but that has cleared lovely now.

Did not go to bed until very late as I forgot to take my last set of medication till late hence I could not sleep so I was up late this morning. Would like to get my washing done while the weather is nice so hopefully I will do that later and even get it dry tomorrow.

Just cooking a lean slice of gammon for lunch at the minute and having it with a baked sweet potato Not had a sweet potato in ages so looking forward to it. My lunch for tomorrow is all but done we are having sweet and sour pork with rice so I only have to reheat the sweet and sour and cook rice.

Went out to play whist last night but this drive is only on once a month. DH got in and won some tea bags and I did no good. Though did enjoy myself so that was the main thing. Friends of ours are going on a whist holiday so every evening cards are played and you play for money but also the person with the biggest total for all the week gets their name on the cup. Games are also organised for the afternoon but they are more or less there for people whom get not get out and about more or the weather is horrid there is something to do. Though these scores do not count in the afternoon for the whist cup only the night sessions. We would like to go but with having our DH we can not go. We would never dream of putting him in a kennels for the week he would be so unhappy Even when he goes for the vet for a procedure they call us back early as he is so distressed and whimpering at the top of his voice.

ROSEBUD Yes you have so much on your plate at the minute I know what it is like moving home there is so much to organise and arrange. Then when you get somewhere there is more organising and arranging. Not to mention the packing and storage. All this takes its toll and eats into our time.

sorry that you have grazed your leg that is all you need you can guarentee that you catch any part of you that is tad delicate. Glad the sun works its magic and dries the wound up and helps nature takes its course.

Never even thought that hydro meant hydro electricity I suppose as my electricity is not supplied in that manner. I do not think we have hydro electricity in the UK but I stand to be corrected on that one. Another fact I have learnt and makes these boards so interesting the differences we learn about one anothers countries but also the things that are the same.

You made my day and made me smile with a typo error (error of typing a key by mistake and a terminology that comes from the world of type writing). I was reading what you had for your tea. You had hamburglers the typo error was a great one, not one to talk though as I can not spell for toffee and sometimes get the wrong word. When I was a greenhorn student nurse I had to do a handover (when you tell the next on coming shift of nurses about the patients) well I came out with a classic that had them rolling about with laughter. I said this patient had gone to the maternity ward to be "seduced" and then they all bursted out laughing . The charge nurse (male equivant of a ward sister) said well that happened 9 months ago dear I think you mean "induced" I wanted the floor to open up and swallow me .

Must go and check on the lunch I have on so see you all tomorrow purpleorc

Last edited by purpleorc; 09-27-2008 at 08:46 AM.
Old 09-27-2008, 06:08 PM   #74  
Onward and Downward

I think Hydro is mostly an Ontario term because the electrical power comes from water power (most specifically, Niagara Falls) . . . here in NS we get our electricity from burning coal or from wind driven turbines (a recent development and one that is quickly gaining favour) and tend to refer to "Nova Scotia Power" the way we referred to "Ontario Hydro" when I lived there.

BTW -- just so you don't miss out on my daily whine. Today I've added a niggling migraine (induced by low pressure) to my cold just for good measure -- Kyle is definitely on his way.

See you later . . .
Old 09-27-2008, 11:22 PM   #75  
Rosebud

HI LADIES ~ we had lovely warm sunny weather most of the day, but around dinnertime, clouds rolled in with lots of wind and rain. I spent the day to some fix-ups on our car and then yakking with my sister for the afternoon ... lol!

Tonight was doing more typing and writing letters and such. Maybe tomorrow, we'll go for a drive to get out of this place and pick up a few groceries as we are getting a bit low on the fresh stuff like bread and fruit. Just wanted to pop in here and see how you all are.

MEOWEE ~ you are probably right about the Hydro issue; I guess it depends on what is creating the electricity. It is interesting to see how things are so different, not just country to country, but even how different it is just province to province inside our own country.

HI PURPLE ~ that story about yourself when you were a young student nurse is very funny too. I think we all do something like that sometime. Once I said Macco instead of Macho; and everyone laughed at me too; I didn't know then (as a teen) that is was Macho as in Nacho (sounds like Notchoe). I said, 'oh that guy is so Macco' instead of "oh, that guy is so Macho". Even now, I have to laugh at myself about it; it did sound funny, but it was sooo embarrassing at the time!

HI TO VAL and CAFFEINE IV ~ hope you ladies are having a great weekend!

Take good care ladies, your friend Rosebud

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 09-27-2008 at 11:25 PM.
Closed Thread