Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 09:32 AM   #76  
MSer living healthy

S/C/G: 300/176/170

Height: 5ft 8in

Hi

Typical we had a lovely sunny day yesterday but I did not have the time or energy at that time to do the washing in the morning. So I looked at what the weather report was going to be for the next day and it was suppose to be more of the same. So that evening I did all my washing so I now I have 2 lines of washing. Hmm not a ray of sun in sight So it looks like I will be drying it all in the drier which I prefer not to do. One because of the cost of the electric and secondly it smells a lot better when dried outside. Fingers crossed that the sun makes an appearance this afternoon. If they get dry I will tackle the ironing.

Watched the film last night of Mamma Mia and we loved it but saying that we were brought up on the abba music so it was a great sing a long from beginning to end. Our friends had watched it some weeks earlier and they had said they had enjoyed it so we gave it a whirl.

DH is watching the Hong Kong F1 grand prix and cheering on Lewis Hamilton. It is the first time they have done a night race but to look at it you would never really guess it is that well luminated.

Made a huge and a I mean huge pan of vegetable soup. Anyone would think I was feeding the 5000 with it but I will put some in the freezer for another time. I made this to use up my vegetables and because it was more of a wintry day I fancied soup. I am a big soup fan and always have been. I had some for my lunch and I am rather full now to say the least.

MEOWEE
We also get our electric from wind turbines or coal for the majority of places. This is a picture of our power station which is coal powered. This is the Radcliffe ~ on ~ Soar power station. It has 7 huge chimneys which are locally known as the 7 sisters but I do not know why that name came about.

I hope your migrane improves swiftly as it is not much fun. I must admit I am grateful that I do not get them as frequently as I once did. I suppose I get 2 or maybe 3 a year as opposed to 1 or 2 a month. Why the change? not sure but maybe all my pain killing medication has something to do with it. What ever it is I am so thankful I do not have to contend with them so often.

Here in the Uk we are very sheltered we do not hear so much about hurricanes. I had to goggle Kyle to see if it was a hurricane. The only time we tend to hear about them is in the news when great destruction has been caused by this force of nature.

ROSEBUD It is funny the errors we make with words. I am sure if it had happened to me now I am older and wiser I would have been less embarassed and able to say something witty. In nursing you soon learn to defend yourself with witty charm. I think because the difficultly of the job we relieved the pressure by laughter and practical jokes. No one was exempt, I was the nurse in charge of this ward one day. Has frequently happened I was the only female nurse, as psychiatry is a male dominated profession. I on this ocassion was doing observation of a disturbed patient which meant for that hour I was allocated to go with that patient every where so they were never out of site. I though it was so kind that the staff had made me a cuppa. Some male staff were not so good at providing drinks not because they did not want to I think it did not enter their head. Well this drink was gratefully received and then I noticed staff and patients were laughing at me. Hmm what had they done I then discovered on the cup they had put the label Maid Marion. Why the name Maid Marion? Well we were living in Nottingham at the time and I was the only lady on duty so often I was kindly called Maid Marion. (my name is nothing like this ). I loved the joke and saw the funny side of it. Oh believe you me I did get the male nurses back but it was all good clean fun which relieved the pressures.

Time to wash up a few pots and check to see if the washing has dried any So till next time take care ladies purpleorc

Last edited by purpleorc; 09-28-2008 at 09:37 AM.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:46 PM   #77  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

HI LADIES ~ We had a very cold day today, but the sun finally came out for us and we had a pleasant drive in town this afternoon. Only I had a big disappointment when I got to our one and only grocery store: NO BANANAS TODAY !!! So I picked up some apples, pears, and pineapple instead.

We went looking at homes again; and got a terrible surprise. We went over to the last house we had lined up to take another look and talk to the lady about the utilities, and would you believe there what a huge new sign out in the front yard saying, FOR SALE. DH was so upset; a man came out from the landlord's place and told us what was going on. Dh called the man that offered us the place and he just said that he changed his mind about renting the place, and is going to sell it instead; yah right, we'll see ...

Sooo ... we are right back where we started from at the beginning; only 4 more weeks to look until we are HOMELESS. Anyhow, we start looking again next week. I am starting to think that there is something NOT QUITE RIGHT HERE!!! I have never seen anything like this before and a couple of friends think the same as me; something is afoot!.

HEY PURPLE ~ who was it that made that line famous? Was it ROBINHOOD or SHERLOCK HOLMES? Surely MAID MARION would know the answer to that querie ~ lol!

I think those coal stacks kinda look like the busts of seven identical women without heads, so that may be why they call them the seven sisters; that would surely suit them. Yah, I think the HYDRO may actually mean WATER POWER, hence the nickname was born. We have many water damns that produce electricity and a few nuclear plants too, but they are not all up and running right now. We are just starting to get into the WIND turbines here.

We haven't seen the movie MOMMA MIA yet; maybe sometime when we are at a rental place, we'll pick it up to see it. Have always been a fan of ABBA and we have some of their music here.

to MEOWEE and VAL and CAFFEINE IV ... hope you all are having a great weekend without any headaches of any kind!!!

We had a nice restful day today; deliberately put off work and packing for the weekend. Monday, we'll be back at it as per usual; we are making headway and good time too. Take good care ladies, and have a nice evening, your friend ROSEBUD

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 09-28-2008 at 08:54 PM.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:53 PM   #78  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Hi . . .

The Seven Sisters are famous in both astrological and mythological circles, I think.

Hurricane Kyle was a fairly well-behaved little guy in my northeastern corner of Nova Scotia and has now drifted off to sea with very little to remember him. Wish I could say the same for the stupid 'hed-cod' which I'm still overfeeding with things like chocolate and pizza. Hopefully it will be gone soon, too because neither my blood sugar levels or weight loss efforts can handle too much more of this nonsense. Think I'm trying to find something I can actually taste. Oh well, luckily we also get to start a new month soon and it will definitely be a better one. I promise.

See you later, gang -- try to keep things moving and shaking just as much as you possibly can.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:58 PM   #79  
MSer living healthy

Hi

Had a man on the roof today and it wasn't Santa Claus We do not have a chimney in this house as it does not have and never has had a coal fire it is gas central heated. The man was from the council come to check the flue to the back boiler which is on top of the roof. My parents house does have a chimney or should I say chimneys as it had at once upon a time coal fires to all the rooms except the kitchen / bathroom and one bedroom (smallest one in the house often referred to as a box room). Mum and dad house was built in the mid 1930's

Just made a recipe for Berry Oatmeal Cups from the green lite bites site but only when I sat down did I realise my big error I had read tbsp for tsp It was on the ingredient baking power which is the raising agent so they will come out flat I love this ladies site has she is on a weight loss / healthy eating and she has some great ideas on there. Some of which I can do if we have the ingredients in the UK.

ROSEBUD Yes never thought that is why the towers at the station were called the seven sister and I think you maybe right. Takes someone else to point it out could not see what was under my nose end

I am sure you will love Mamma Mia if you like abba music the only disappointment for me was one of the lead male roles was taken by Pierce Brosnan and he did not have a great vocal.

MEOWEE and VALDINE and CAFFEINEIV

Time to look at my flat cakes so bye for now and take care

Last edited by purpleorc; 09-29-2008 at 01:21 PM.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:59 PM   #80  
Rosebud

HI LADIES ~ it was really cold out there today; thankfully, the sun did come out for the afternoon a bit. I spent the whole morning outside cleaning up my flower pots and putting them into storage containers (just large garbage bins with lids) for their trip to our new home, wherever that may be.

Then I just stayed indoors for the afternoon as fingies needed thawing out ~ lol! Today, I just did sorting and cleaning; plus letters and such too. Then tomorrow, I'll start packing from the cupboards again.

GEE MEOWEE ~ that "hed-cod" is sure lasting longer than I would expect a cold to last; it almost sounds like the flu that went around here this year: it has all the symptoms of a head cold, but worse, and it lasts much longer than a cold (which is usually only about 2-3 days). My doctors says a cold should only last a few days, where as a flu can go on for 2-3 weeks or longer if one's immune system is too taxed. Hope you are feeling much better real soon. BTW, I love NEO-CITRON type drinks for whenever I have a cold or flu; they really help a lot. The name brand is very expensive, but lessor known brands cost much less.

HI PURPLE ~ I hope your oatmeal cakes turned out better than you expected. Good that your council checks out your flue before the winter season comes, just to make sure everything is working OK. Hope you have a good day at your pressure treatments tomorrow.

HIYA VAL ~ hope you are having a great new week; have you started your new position yet? I bet you are very excited about this new adventure.

HI CAFFEINED IV ~ have a great week!

Well, I already had my tea for tonight, so I think I'll go and put my sore feet and legs up and do a crossword puzzle or two. Take good care, ladies ~ your friend ROSEBUD
Old 09-29-2008, 10:09 PM   #81  
M.S. + living balance

S/C/G: 325/200's/199

Height: 5'10"

I started my new job today. I keep seeing my old boss around town... so I just make a point to be sickly sweet every time I see him.

cruise pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/springy21/
Old 09-30-2008, 09:59 AM   #82  
Onward and Downward

Good for you, VAL . . . and best of luck on the new stuff.

And a great Good Morning for everybody else, too . . .

Sun is shining around here and the leaves are definitely starting to look their very brightest. I really Autumn because of both the colours and the temperatures even though it does tend to remind us that Winter will not be too far behind.

I'm also starting to feel a lot more human . . . don't know how you get so lucky as to hve only 2 or 3 day colds, ROSEBUD, but I'm very, very jealous. Mine always seem to be a week long. On that note, it should be completely gone by tomorrow. But, I'm not taking any bets.

The guy was here to do the fall fertilizing and liming of the lawn this morning and that, combined with the fact that the birds are starting to flock preparatory for the flight South, is providing lots of exercise for the cats as they run from window to window trying to get in on the action.

Hope the last day of September is a good one for all of you . . . keep things moving and shaking as much as you possibly can . . .

Last edited by meowee; 09-30-2008 at 09:59 AM.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:13 AM   #83  
MSer living healthy

Hi Ladies and good afternoon

Another grey overcast day here and we have had rain on and off. No sunshine in sight. I have had my treatment at the MS centre today so I am feeling a little drained though that is normal.

One of the other ladies whom I go in the chamber with for my oxygen therapy asked whether she could try reiki on me and another lady. She has recently taken a course and is still taking it but needs practice. I was willing as you do not learn if you can not practice. Many kind patients where willing to let me "loose" on them giving their weekly injection called a depot (stops the need for so much oral medication if any at all.) The kindest of all was when I was learning to take blood I was absolute hopeless when I had someone watching me like a hawk as I was being tested to do X amount before I was let loose on my own. I am very thankful they were willing to help me. Once I was not being watched and examined I was fine but taking blood while you hand is shaking like a leave is not conducive to finding a vein! So now the tables are turned so to speak and I am willing for others to learn on me. Same if I go to hospital I am willing for others to be there as students to learn. I have never had reiki but the short session I did have I found relaxing and warmth in the areas she touched but her hands where actually cold. It certainly was very nice and I would have it again if she wants a willing volunteer.

VALDINE with starting the new post today and I hope everything goes well. Look forward to hearing from you when you have a spare minute.

Love the photographs from your holiday of a cruise and the photographs of you wow what a transformation in you since your weight loss you look wonderful. Keep up the good work.

MEOWEE Glad your cold is all but gone . This reminds me that my annual flu jab is just round the corner. It is either in October or early November but I do not know the dates yet may have to pop into the doctors to find out. Normally it is on my repeat prescription and you just turn up on the day. The surgery then it like a cattle market as it is only tiny and with all these people it is hectic. There maybe a huge volume of people but they get through rather quickly as they have 3 people vaccinating at the same time. I will not have to have my pneumonia vaccine just yet as i have something like 7 years left as they last 10 years.

Yes the migrating birds do remind you that winter in now knocking on the door. Not that we have many whom migrate from this country the only one that comes to mind is the swallow oh and yes the swift. I suppose that is because our climate is relatively mild.

ROSEBUD Here is a photograph of my oatmeal muffins sorry hopeless at photography so this is why it is out of focus Though it gives you the general idea. Even though I did not put as much baking powder as I should it still turned out reasonably good. They are very yummy and I will be making them again. Rather parcial to raspberries so loved them. I had 2 which is apparently equivilant of 1 serving of fruit and that was my tea as they were mega filling. I suppose it was the oats that did that.

Time to trot off and start making tracks on tea. I have most of it done slow cooked meatballs in sauce now need to cook some whole meal pasta. So till next time. Hope to get on tomorrow but I am going to deliever bean bags to London so long tiring journey purpleorc

Last edited by purpleorc; 09-30-2008 at 11:20 AM.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:13 PM   #84  
Rosebud

HI EVERYONE ~ We had a cool day, but some sunshine came out here and there just in time for our drive to town to pay bills and such. Then we picked up a little lunch and had it by one of our favorite lakes. Then we got a call to go see a little house that we had been hoping to get; and the wonderful news is that ....

WE HAVE A HOME!!! YEAH!

HIYA VAL ~ I bet you have been hyper on your first day; and good for you, not letting your ex-boss get to you. That's very professional of you, and best wishes for the rest of your week as you get familiar with your new position. I always love to see pics of all kinds; hope you and your friend had a blast on your trip.

HI MEOWEE ~ I really don't know how long my colds last, but that's what my doctor says anyways; I guess it's a subjective point of view. DH and I have had one for more than a week, so we assumed that it was a flu; but it had all the symptoms of a cold, just a lot milder (sneezing, stuffiness, and such). We had two flus this spring and they were doozies where we lost all our sense of smell and taste; don't want those ones ever again, becuz we felt horrible.

HEY PURPLE ~ those oatcakes look simply yummy; I'm glad they turned out OK for you. Yah, learning to give needles and take blood would be nervewracking, I think. I remember a nurse friend of mine who had to practice giving needles on oranges at first.

I have heard of REIKI, although I really don't know what it is. I imagine that if it is a kind of massage that might help someone with MS; my sister had a massage recently and says that she loved it so much she fell asleep. That's very nice of you to let them practice on you; and there are benefits for you too. I hope you have a good trip to London tomorrow.

We've had a huge flock of BLACKBIRDS here the last few days, I guess they are filling up on their way down south for the winter. We still have some songbirds that stay here all winter; they look like a kind of sparrow and some of them have a kind of a dark mask on their face. They sing beautifully and I love to watch them; they are the main thing beside the lovely rainbows here that I will miss where we move to. I will put up my feeder, but I don't know how many birds will show up there.

We went to see another house today; it was very nice but much bigger, but Dh was worried about the fact that it had propane heat, so he wanted to take the other house in town instead. We have heard some really scary stories about propane and oil prices lately.

ANYWAYS, we are just elated that we finally have a nice place to live; so take care ladies ~ your friend Rosebud

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 09-30-2008 at 11:14 PM.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:06 AM   #85  
Onward and Downward

So happy to hear your good news ROSEBUD . . .

Well, gang . . . it's October . . . let's make it a great, great month for all of us.

See you all soon . . .
Old 10-01-2008, 01:01 PM   #86  
MSer living healthy

Hi Ladies

I am back from my travels to London the trip went extremely well so no complains on that front. I know that I will be going to bed early tonight after the travelling plus getting up at 7:30am and that for me has been for 2 days running getting up early. Unfortunately I took a little fall in the ladies toilets on the return journey in the service station. I fell against the separating walls of the toilets. It has hurt my shoulder and hip but my shoulder is the one that is worse. I know it could have been far worse if it was not for the wall divider I would have gone crashing to the floor and maybe broken a bone. So really I was blessed so I am very grateful really.

Yesterday at the MS therapy centre I tried what is known at the wobble machine but I think it is really called a balance machine. It is run on electric and you control the level of vibration that you can manage. I went up to level 6 and I was on the machine for 9 minutes. My legs felt I jelly (jello) afterwards but soon recovered. It helps build up the core muscles and muscles in your legs. Also has an added benefit of burning fat so I kind of figured that I have nothing to lose by giving it a whirl. Maybe I will have a washboard tummy and rippling muscles in my legs NOT but I can dream

MEOWEE It is unbelievable that it October already. In this month I have 2 family birthdays my Mum and then my sister.

Hope you are getting up to full steam after your horrid cold.

ROSEBUD on getting your new house I am so pleased for you. Looks like your prayers were answered. Yes I understand that there are concerns about it being bigger and the heating bill because of it. I lived in big Victorian house prior to this bungalow which was big property. We to keep fuel bills down just heated the rooms that we need to and that way the fuel bills have been no more than this property which is smaller. I know it is not ideal but it was a way a solving the fact if we heated the whole property we were wasting fuel in rooms we were not using. It worked for us the only time we had more heating if we had guests to stay and then we used it for the rooms we needed. We put up thick curtains and draft excluder's at doors all made the room cosy. We are lucky in this home we have great loft insulation and walls insulation.

Reiki is not exactly a massage it is just laying of hands on certain parts of the body. The laying of the hands on the body the pressure or touch is very light. It is suppose to heal you I was reading last night and is based to some extent on the Chinese philosophy of chi. Other than that it was a bit complex for me to understand.

Time to go and sort my mail out and reply so till next time lady take care purpleorc
Old 10-01-2008, 08:51 PM   #87  
Rosebud

SEE YOU ALL IN THE NEW OCTOBER THREAD ...

I was so busy yesterday that I forgot to start it; I'm sure MEOWEE will be by soon to make it into a red sticky for us!

See you all there ...
Closed Thread