Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 03:18 PM   #31  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

HELLO CHICKIES ~ cooler weather today, but that's OK cuz I'm doing indoor stuff today: packing, sewing, laundry, and so forth. DH is away helping my DAD for the day, but I have sweet NIKO here to keep me company.

MEOWEE ~ that's a good idea to get a 'VISTA for DUMMIES' book; I have several of the 'DUMMIES' series for my PC's and programs; and have found them to be very useful over the years, esp since our short-term memories aren't as good as they used to be.

CAFFEINE'S ~ tips are coming in real handy; today I did extra linen and clothes; and stuff in the kitchen that we don't use very much. My goal is at least 3 boxes plus some bags each day; that should put a good dint in things. We are very blessed here to have most of our surgerical procedures paid for; and I'm so glad we don't have that system (like in the US).

Never heard of seizures called by that silly name; my sister was on PHENOBARB when she was young too, and yah, it does make them kind of like walking zombies. I think for people with severe seizures, they need to use that drug and/or maybe do surgeries if it's safe and helpful. Hope your meds get sorted out for you real soon.

HI TO VAL ~ hope you have a great weekend. Gee, I hate that some of these short cut keys sent me off to other places; sometimes I press shift and something and next thing I know, I've wandered somewhere away from my page ... eeks!

HI PURPLE ...

Well, I just came to check in; guess I'd better get back to work ... lots more packing to do. Take good care ladies, your friend ROSEBUD
Old 09-13-2008, 08:48 AM   #32  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Busy day of computer frustration for me. Its overcast and humid anyway with rain in the forecast for tomorrow and Monday. Guess that will be our only taste of IKE who is currently lambasting Texas.

Stay safe and as dry as possible everybody.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:36 PM   #33  
M.S. + living balance

S/C/G: 325/200's/199

Height: 5'10"

I fit a size 14! I'm a 14 yay

so I went shopping for new jeans because my 16's were starting to get bad 'saggy butt'

Caffeine I hope you're doing okay. I know at my workplace, they have to legally make accomodations for me so that I can work safely. Can the church do something like that for you?

Rosebud = when are you officially moving and did you find a place yet? that would be very nerve racking but you are handling it very well Hope your Friday was good. My TGIF didnt end up so good.

Mewoee - it's been raining here all day too... but not because of Ike. Guess I cant cut the grass

hi Purple! you must still be on holidays?

Wrapping up my old job is getting messy. My boss is ignoring me and using me. There is more to it than I can summarize but I've had to always save a week of vacation as my cushion in case I needed more time off with MS flares (since i dont have any coverage at this job. no STD or LTD) and he's been really ignorant in general.

We will see if I dont 'go home sick' for my last two days of work on Monday and Tuesday.

happy weekend all!
Val
Old 09-14-2008, 07:28 AM   #34  
Onward and Downward

Oh VAL . . . fantastic going on those 14's, Chickie.

And a wonderful GOOD MORNING for everybody.

Actually not such a nice morning around here -- overcast and muggy -- it will be a good day for getting some household chores done I think.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:31 PM   #35  
Rosebud

HI CHICKIES ~ we had a bit of a storm last night so I didn't want to risk coming on (you know, one of those storms that didn't really get as bad as they predicted); but it rained on and off until dinnertime tonight and then finally cleared up.

We picked up dinner yesterday and took it out to my DAD's so they wouldn't have to cook the night before they went home. They should be home by now as they were supposed to leave early this morning; it's a long trip of over 500 miles. We had a great visit with them: DAD caught a nasty flu bug that feels like a head cold but lasts more than a few days; sure hope he felt better today as he had to get home to have a test on his neck veins for Monday to make sure they are free and clear. Even though they didn't feel that great, they looked better this time.

HEY VAL ~ I was concerned for you that something like that might happen; feel free to use up those sick days, if needs be. Your boss should be mature enuff to know that people come and go: that's life; and they'll find someone else to fill that spot. They should be giving you cards and flowers to help you celebrate your new position, and thanking you for a job well done. I hope things are more professional at your new place.

ABOUT MOVING ~ well, officially didn't really happen as the landlord never did show up with that notice in writing so DH has to go get it for our records tomorrow. On August 29, 2008, she asked us to vacate by November 1st 2008, but I don't know why since they said they were just closing the building, and they are now saying that they are not demolishing the building afterall; their story seems to be changing weekly. Personally, I don't care what they do with this building after I leave.

We have a couple of places lined up, but they are not final becuz the present tenants don't want them to show them until they have left; and I understand that. I didn't like how our landlord and her agents kept traipsing strangers through our place over and over for nothing; esp since now they are just emptying the place to use for "unknown" purposes.

There is one place that we would really love to have; we are praying that we'll get it, but we won't be seeing it until the end of the month. Oh, how I hate this waiting game; as I like to know where I'm going. Don't we all? We do have an emergency backup, but we are praying and having faith that GOD knows our needs and wants; and I know He cares about us too, and will help us.

MEOWEE ~ hope things improve for you on the weather front and with your new PC too. Whenever I upgraded, I had to learn the ropes again too. With each new PC comes new programs and bells and whistles etc ...

HI PURPLE ~ guess you'll be home from your vacation soon. I forgot how long you were going for, but I know you left a week ago, Saturday. I thought it was only a week; or -- maybe not ... lol!

CAFFEINE IV ~ hope you are feeling better this week.

I just did some more sorting, packing, and other odd jobs this weekend. Our car has to go into the garage to have a tow hitch put on it this week; and we'll be picking up some more boxes too. Not much else to report for now. Take good care ladies, your friend ROSEBUD

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 09-14-2008 at 09:41 PM.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:35 PM   #36  
Rosebud

HEY VAL ~ on getting into size 14 pants!!! WAY TO GO!

I actually found a pair of blue jeans that fit me, and they are a bit baggy too. I guess there is hope for me after all ... lol.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:39 AM   #37  
Onward and Downward

Another busy indoor type of day for me -- weather is definitely back to the hot, mugginess of Summer -- but with lots of wind and on-again, off-again rain -- guess this is our little brush with Ike. Gas prices went sky-high over the weekend too, following the Ike-induced trend.

Oh well, lots to do to get ready for my little mini-vacation to North Carolina this weekend -- see you later.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:15 PM   #38  
Rosebud

HELLO LADIES ~ Well, we finally had a nice, sunny fall day; it started out cloudy and cold, but changed for the afternoon and evening. This is what fall should look like. Had a good day packing some books and more linen; and even did a bit of mending while reading posts here.

Our car now has it's own hitch so we can pull our small trailer; that will be very handy for us esp with moving coming up soon. It will be good for taking trips to the dump too, which will save us having to hire someone else. DH was busy dismantling his little shop out back to move to our lot; there's some real mega-savings for us too.

HI MEOWEE ~ it's nice that you finally got some sunshine today, even if it wasn't perfect weather. Hope the rain goes away and that humidity leaves soon too.

HIYA VAL ~ just one more day and you are onto a great new adventure ... Oh, and it's official; we are moving as DH had to go pick up the vacate notice today. The official date is now October 31, 2008; why it changed ... only others know ~ lol!

PURPLE!
CAFFEINE IV!

Our livingroom is now our official box room; it will likely end up piled to the ceiling. We decided to start there for that reason, getting all the nick-nacks and such packed away first so it would be safer. We are doing pretty good; I am also going to try and use up as much food from our freezer for the next while so we won't have much to cart. And, we are going to toss all our old rugs and such in the bin as we go and buy all new stuff when we get to the new place. New place, new stuff; I like the sounds of that!

Hope you all have a lovely evening and great week; take good care, your friend ROSEBUD

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 09-15-2008 at 08:22 PM.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:21 AM   #39  
M.S. + living balance

S/C/G: 325/200's/199

Height: 5'10"

Thanks for the props ladies! Oct 31 eh Rosebud? Good thing you are so organized.

I have to share what happened to me today at work. i posted in the 100 lb club...
Quote:
Originally Posted by valpal23 View Post
Hey photochick. lol we've never met. And I mostly just lurk but you've given out some good advice lately... the 'dont let people treat you like crap' stuff has really stuck in my mind. I LOVE the line you've got 'do you realize you just said that outloud?'. Some day I'll have the composure to do that without thinking.

BUT today. I sorta did I recently resigned from my job. Today was my last day and I'll be 'switching to the dark side' and joining local city hall despite working in economic development for a couple years.

My stud of a boss brought me into this office during the lunch hour - when the witnesses were gone and tore several strips off me for my 'attitude' and chip on my shoulder (both of which I dont deny... the guy has been giving me the run around about health insurance for months and I have MS).

Things quickly deteriorated when he caught me smirking. I didnt respect him to begin with and the predictable manner in which he was responding to me just supported my judgement.

He started insulting my work in the organization and spoke to how I had been 'babied' because I sought his direction for my projects. Then it stooped lower and he went after my professional abilities saying I would be an UTTER FAILURE at my new job. He said I wouldnt be able to handle it along with a few other negative things about the way I behaved (the behavior I wont deny.. I'm not happy with the guy).

Photochicks your wise words stuck in my head. When my boss finished ranting and insulting my character he asked if that would be all for me. At this point I pointed out that his words about my new job were completly inaccurate and he had no reason to say such spiteful things. The whole thing ended in a, abeit totally insincere, apology and butt sucking about how great I would be.

thanks (I shouldnt let anybody treat me that poorly... about my weight OR my professional career) I may not have had the best attitude but I would NEVER stoop to insulting a person's performance at a professional position they havent even begun,

So seriously. My former employer is a butt. But an amazing turn of events had me go downstairs in my building to be consoled by friends... whose manager is also the deputy mayor that interviewed me for the new job and ended up overhearing/consoling me about how perfect i was for the job/being disgusted with my current boss. (she's also a board member for his organization/the development corporation) it's a small city! (15,000)

I'll be packing tomorrow as well as buying my bus ticket. then headed on the 9 hr ride to winnipeg wednesday and off to LAX thursday. Hope you all have a great week all the best packing rosebud!

i wil take pictures
Val

Last edited by valpal23; 09-16-2008 at 01:23 AM.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:56 AM   #40  
Onward and Downward

Hope everything comes together well for you ROSEBUD.

You have a great trip VAL and don't let that idiot get you down; you don't have to put up with him anymore.

Drastic change in wind direction and temperatures overnight . . . but still mostly overcast out there . . . hope to see some sun later on. Also hope to see a downward trend in gas prices later on. Prices fell back in Ontario overnight, but we are still sitting at the Friday high. Can't put off the fill-up too much longer.

Other than that, nothing exciting for me -- some laundry; some packing (for my little weekend trip to NC); an exciting visit to the DrugStore -- life is definitely ticking along.

See you tomorrow . . .
Old 09-16-2008, 09:09 PM   #41  
Rosebud

HI THERE CHICKIES ~ we were blessed to have another beautiful sunny fall day; two in a row ... WOW! I was able to put a few clothes out on the line; perfect day for it.

VAL ~ that was totally unprofessional behavior by your former boss; sounds like a little temper tantrum to me. He has no right to berate you just becuz you're leaving; and to even bring up your future job was ridiculous and showed poor character. Just go and have a wonderful trip and forget about the past; and dream of a wonderful new future at city hall.

THANKS MEOWEE ~ things will work out; we're hoping to get one of those places, the one we like has everything we were looking for. Boy, it's hard to wait: but we're actually quite excited to go to a new place; just like VAL should be too. All of us were put in a pinch; I feel bad for our neighbours as it isn't going to be easy for them to find a place here.

We only had six ads in our local newspaper this week and most were no good for us; (2) second stories (upstairs) and (2) basements and (2) were houses that were either too big or too expensive for us. The younger ones could possibly take an upstairs or basement place for awhile as they can do stairs well and we can't. It's not a good time for those who have to find places to live right now; but we are remaining hopeful!

HELLO TO PURPLE and CAFFEINE IV ~ hope you ladies are well and we see you drop by sometime soon.

Well, DH is packing up his records; he has a lot of music that he loves to listen to. That's one of his favorite hobbies; and we like to dance around the place a lot too, and it's all good exercise too. That's all the news from here for now. We have to go into town tomorrow to pick up some more small boxes and a few other things like tags and such so we can keep track of things; if I can't find any, I'll try to make some.

Take good care ladies, your friend ROSEBUD
Old 09-17-2008, 10:52 AM   #42  
Onward and Downward

Hi . . .

Just a quick little Have to clean up a few things and then get packed for my fairly early start tomorrow. At least gas has dropped back down a bit, but not as much as it went up last Friday -- never does.

Don't know how the computer situation may be in North Carolina so if I don't get a chance to drop in again until Monday, rest assured that I am thinking of you.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:37 PM   #43  
MSer living healthy

S/C/G: 300/176/170

Height: 5ft 8in

Hi everyone

Prior warning this is going to be a bit of a long entry with being away for so long and I need my fix

I am back from the English/Welsh borders I have had a wonderful week and been very lucky with the weather. It only rained during the evening or night which did not affect our plans in any way. I have never done so much walking as I did this week so despite my blow out on a few naughty foods along the way my weigh gain has been 1lb which I was surprised about and thought it would be way more. Our log cabin was in the sticks (slang word for remote) so nice and peaceful. It overlooked woodland and Chirk castle. We went to Chirk castle every day for a walk to give our dog his exercise morning and evening. One day we did our walk over an aqueduct and saw many barges. Plus several beautiful cottages on the canal side and some of those where holiday rentals.

I have missed coming on here and doing my nearly daily piece here on 3fc. On Sunday I caught up with the washing and dreaded ironing, I have just about unpacked everything except our shoes from one bag so just about done and dusted. Though that did wipe me out some what doing all those chores I was foolish and did not listen to my body as I should so pay the price. When will I ever learn Now I have to get back to reality and eat sensibly which I am determined to do. I did not let my exercise slip whilst on holiday as you heard we actually walked twice a day but that is so much more achievable when you do not have the normal daily activities when you living at home such as washing, cooking, ironing well you get the picture. Not once did I have to take pain killers for my back which I normally do at least a couple of times a week especially when I have been standing a lot of the time. On Monday back to Wales to do a trip to deliver bean bags to a cinema so was shattered after that. Then on Tuesday that is my oxygen therapy day (oh boy was it needed) but than had to do the weekly grocery shop after that so not much time.

Then today just went whizzing by as I went out for lunch and popped into another supermarket on the way home to pick up the pieces I’d forgotten but inevitably you end up getting more stuff as it is on offer. By the time I returned home made a flax seed muffin for DH to stop him having the munchies and it seems to be working. He is no longer grazing in the evening and it has shown on the scales with as of today it was a 3lb loss. He has been on a plateau for an age and not moving. He now is so motivated due to the fact he can see progress. The shirts are now fitting wonderfully and he has a nice new wardrobe of shirts and trousers. I have started also collecting a new wardrobe as I have dropped down to a UK size 16 (size 14 in US) though one or two tops still remain at 18 as they are not so generous with the cut as some manufacturers.

CAFFEINE IV

to caffieneiv to the thread so nice to have you on board. I will tell you at little of myself. I live in the UK and I am 43. I have MS and prior to that I worked as a psychiatric nurse for 16 years. Though as the disease progressed I was unable to continue work and retired on ill health grounds. Approximately 16 months or so ago I decided enough was enough I was fed up of being overweight so embarked on healthy eating. Very shortly after that I discovered this site which has been my saviour and kept me on the straight and narrow path. I am now 118lbs lighter, healthier and fitter than ever before. Like you I am on two lots of anti seizure medication for pain control of trigeminial neuralgia. Though I am more fortune than you as I am also on an anti depressant for pain which I only take at night and it has a sedating effect. I have been on a healthy eating regime which comprises of less carbs, less red meat, more vegetables and pulses. Plus reduce the size of my portions and I now fill up on vegetables and pulses. Well enough of myself for now and get on with the job in hand.
We may be a small bunch on this thread but they are great bunch and have got me through some difficult times. Needless to say they are friendly and helpful ladies who have got me to where I am today I could not have done it without them.

ROSEBUD

I never went to Ireland but my eldest niece did for the summer holidays from school. I went on the Welsh and English borders so some days I was in England and others in Wales. I have been thinking of you and your DH and wondering how your search for a new home was going.

Glad to hear that your leg is finally on the mend. It is not pleasant to have a skin condition that lingers around. I can tell you that from experience when my eczema flared up big time and I was infected head to toe as I could not stop scratching myself. I was even doing it in my sleep! Though the dermatologist at the hospital was so sympathetic and understanding and he started to get things under control in 3 or 4 weeks.

I can see that a lot of your time has been taken up with packing up your belonging for the forth coming move. Gosh you do not realise how much you accumulate in that time. I am sure my books alone would take up a couple of boxes I hate the packing when preparing to move I have had to do it a several times and you have more and more stuff each time

VALDINE

First I must congratulate you on fitting into size 14 clothing oh it sure must feel good. If like me you could never imagined that at the beginning of our weight loss journey that we would manage to attain such a size. Enjoy the shopping for the new wardrobe in this size that is another fun part about weight loss. I have such enjoyed shopping for my size down and finding many pretty tops. Although I do not buy too much at one size as inevitably on this weight loss journey you are not in them many months.

Well done on putting your former boss in his place. People like that need someone like you to pull them down a peg or two. I am so glad that you have the confidence in yourself and believe in your own abilities. The new employer would not have taken you on if they did not think you could do the job and was the best qualified to fill this post. Many years ago I had a division nurse manager who really did not like me and for no apparent reason. Whilst at work she did everything in her power to make my life miserable and eventually I had the unions involved. Sometime later I moved to another area to work as I was settling in my patients from hospital to a nursing home. (Unusual set up as I was still employed by the National Health Service). On this one day I was at work and this division nurse manager came to visit the nursing home. She was by this time retired under ill health (registered blind)was all sweetness and light with me. I saw it as the prime opportunity to say my piece “of you made my life **** when I worked under you do not pretend to like me now” and I walked away from her. It felt good to just say something to her as before I always had to be on my guard what I said and did whilst she was around. I did not want a blemish on my nursing record and so did not give her any little reason to do so.

MEOWEE

Have a lovely weekend away at NC and take time to relax and unwind. So pleased that you are OK despite the brush with hurricane Ike. It has started to become cool here over the past few days it is definitely turning that corner ready for winter not that we have the severe weather changes that you do in Canada. Here we have a climate that is very temperate compared to other countries around the world.

Well enough from me and my epic post and sorry if I have missed anything out as there has been a lot to catch up on. Time to put the kettle on and get a cup of coffee then get ready to go out to play cards tonight. So till next time take care everyone and look after yourselves

Last edited by purpleorc; 09-17-2008 at 12:42 PM.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:56 PM   #44  
Rosebud

HEY MEOWEE ~ Have a great time this weekend on your trip to North Carolina; that's a long drive, so I hope you enjoy the fall scenery along the way. We'll catch up with you when you come back; and hold down the fort while you're away!

WOW PURPLE ~ so nice to have you back with us, and to hear your cheerful journal voice again. Glad you had a fun time on your holiday, sounds heavenly. Yah, my memory is crap these days, I know you probably told us many times you were going to Wales, where part of my Grandmother's family was from. I have seen pictures of the area and it seems lush and green as well as a bit mountainous in some places.

You have done fabulous to only gain 1 lb on your vacation and that could even be water-weight too. I'm glad the homemade muffins are helping your DH as mine loves them; and congrats to him on his new 3 lb loss. We add bran and ground flas and sometimes mashed fruit to help keep them healthy and I also use partial or all whole grain wheat flour depending on the recipe I am using. He says they have helped him keep more regular in that other area too, if you know what I mean.

I am continuing to make some changes and have recently cut out more fat out of my plan (esp things like butter and margarine); I hope I see some benefits for that some time down the road. I haven't been up to our lot to do my walking lately becuz the moving thing has put a nix on that for this year; we will resume all that first thing next spring.

HOME UPDATE ~ we received another call tonight and offered another house to move to; and we are seriously considering this offer. Some details will have to be looked into for the cost to see if it is plausible for us. This is a relief to DH as he has been panicky of late, worrying where we are going to live, so this will help him calm down a bit; if not, I may just have to knock him out ~ lol, just kidding!!!

Poor DH was so upset today; as he made a long run to the dump to get rid of a large load of junk and it was closed. He was so upset; not only at the waste of the morning but the cost of gas is high here right now too. I had tried to find out the open dates but no-one was there to answer the phone; guess everyone is on holidays there too.

HI TO VAL & CAFFEINE IV ~ have a great trip VAL; and hope you are feeling better CAFFEINE!

Our livingroom is now full of packed boxes and we are actually getting buried in stuff; and I am even throwing stuff in the garbage as we go too. Our books alone take up several boxes, as do our music collections. Some stuff may have to go into storage for awhile; I think storage space will be on our agenda as we look at places. Two places have lots of storage space and the other may be too small ... hmmmm; what to do; what to do!

Hope you all have a lovely evening; take good care, ROSEBUD
Old 09-18-2008, 10:04 AM   #45  
MSer living healthy

S/C/G: 300/176/170

Height: 5ft 8in

Hi Ladies

Been a warm day today so maybe winter is not coming so early I have cooked a couple of dinners today so I will have another for tomorrow. Firstly I did chicken in stuffing (sage and onion) with vegetables and the second was roast breast of chicken. So it will allow me to do other chores within the home as I am not tied up in the kitchen for the best part of the morning.

Oh well the Olympics and Paralympic are eventually over. We did very well in both of them but especially in the Paralympic where we finished 2nd on the medal table. Our tally was 30 gold medals and we surpassed that and took 42 I think. One of my lasting moments from that games was a swimmer who was 13 years old who won 2 gold medals in the 100m and 400m events. She had only gone for experience for the 2012 games when she would be 17 years old so for her it was a dream come true.

Well managed to win first prize last night at whist with my team of 4 players (which includes me by the way). We all won 2 fillets of chicken breasts which fed me and DH plus a few treats for Rizzie for our dinners today. whilst cooking that I cooked 2 other chickens (small) one for a chicken dinner tomorrow and then the remainder of the chicken and the other one was sliced for future sandwiches.

Watched last night the programme "who do you think you are " and it was a man called David Suchet more famously known for his role as Hercule Poirot in a television series. It deals with tracing the family history of the person as far back as they can. They can reveal some interesting facts along the way. This subject interests me from the historical point of view and secondly I have searched my family tree as much as I can. I could go further on my fathers mother's side of the family but I need a birth certificate to do that to get names. Though that is rather pricey now. Then drew a blank around the 1890's on my mothers side of the family again down her mothers side of the family. On the birth certificate there was no fathers name so that is more than likely an illegitimate birth. We knew there was some skeleton in the cupboard so to speak as when my grandma was alive she was strongly not wanting the family tree to be traced. Whilst she was alive I abided by her wishes and waited another 15 years after that until I traced the family history. That is when I unearthed this fact and in my grandma's day it would have been shameful and something to hide so hence her reluctance for me to trace the history. I was surprised that I was able to trace back as far as 1790's on the family tree on my mothers father's side of the family.

ROSEBUD

Like yourself I also put other ingredients in it such as berries, dried fruit (including apricots) and bananas. So another crafty way I sneak fruit into my DH diet without him even thinking he is eating such a things. All he sees is cake and quite gladly munches the lot

Small changes like the amount of fat can make an impact on your diet. When making a sandwich I do not put margarine or butter on. Though occasionally I will put a smear of sandwich pickle or beetroot chutney to liven things up. Where ever possible I use that one cal spray for spraying a small amount of oil or buttery taste to the dish. I buy the leanest cuts of meat I can afford and cut fat off where ever I can (for example bacon rashers). When you are happy with those tweaks to your diet then you can incorporate other little changes. So over time these little changes make a big impact on your diet both being healthier and less calories.

Well time for me to go and wrap up food that has been cooling it should be well and truly cold by now. So till next time by for now.

Last edited by purpleorc; 09-18-2008 at 10:07 AM.
Closed Thread