Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2020, 09:12 PM   #286  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I've done well at sticking to my fast today but it's hard. Going off it yesterday was not a good idea. I want everything I see DH eating. I'm starting to feel.hungry and I have a bit of a headache. I think once I go to bed I'll be ok. We have deli ham and it's calling my name.
Old 01-27-2020, 01:05 AM   #287  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

It is almost midnight here and I've got a busy day tomorrow so thought I would do a quick flyby tonight. I'm going to go early to have my lab work done so I can get out to the hospital. They told DS that they are moving Daddy back to nursing home around 10 or 10:30 in the morning. DS has to go take some paperwork to the nursing home so I'm going to the hospital and be with Daddy till he leaves then when we leave the hospital I will call DS so she can meet us at the nursing home. The nice thing is he that he will be in a room closer to the door, but we are going to have to wear masks, gloves and masks until he gets rid of something called c-diff. I looked it up and we are probably around it everyday at the nursing home from what I read online. I thing this is why he is in isolation. They are giving him antibiotic for it, but antibiotics seems to be the cause of it. Catch 22 I guess.

Eating was good today. Hopefully things will get a little better with him back at the nursing home.

Hope everybody has a great Monday.
Old 01-27-2020, 06:00 AM   #288  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Hi everyone: weight down to 153 after yesterdays fast, which was an "easy" one for some reason. Sometimes your body just doesn't fight it I guess.
Trish: with C diff, you need to wash hands well, hand sanitizer doesn't kill it. Its one we can manage mostly if we get it, but in vulnerable people like your father it can cause big problems. He needs probiotics like crazy to help with this one too.

Pipsicle: so glad the skiing went well and you enjoyed yourself. I wondered which kind of skiing you liked. DH is going to our little local (2 hrs away) mountain this week.
We had people over to get to know Buddy so that others may walk him if I wind up working when he is gone. I am on call now until Thursday evening. I was glad for the weekend break. I slept well all weekend, but was really tired last night and went to bed quite early. Slept great, but am up early as a result.
Pips: I wonder if you could do the 16 hr fasts (stricter 2MAD) every day if that would be better than the ups and downs. I know Dr. Fung's books recommend it, but don't remember the reasoning. I think its just to keep insulin in check.

Carol: some days it doesn't matter, I can manage not to eat what DH has no problem, and other days it is calling to me like a song stuck in my head. No rhyme or reason. Feeling fine so far this morning, I have not decided if I will eat at brunch or wait until supper. DH is wanting tacos. I will see. I don't want the corn tortillas, but maybe use lettuce boats for me.

Have a good day friends.
Old 01-27-2020, 06:49 AM   #289  

Mad, I like to make taco salad. Just put the meat, cheese and other toppings in a bowl of lettuce. Sometimes I do that with chili or pizza toppings.

Trish, I hope your Dad gets good care at the nursing home and they get his infections treated properly. It all sounds so scary.

I just finished a 19 hour fast and I'm up 2 lbs. I guess I should just give up on seeing the number go down on the scale.

I just had a bowl of steel cut oats. It took me a while to like them. I was just eating them to not waste them and now I cant eat other oatmeal. I am not even interested in my usual eggs today but I could eat more oatmeal!! I am also craving salad.

I have been reading a book by the same guy who wrote the potato hack. The Diet Hack. Basically he says don't diet. No one will lose weight and maintained the loss. I don't like the book because he talks on and on about why we are fat. I still haven't got to the place where he says what to do about it. He is very big on gut health, and I do think i have a problem with that and want to improve it. He recommends plants so I will try to get back to eating more plants. It might not help my gut or weight but i dont think It will hurt.
​​​​​

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 01-27-2020 at 10:18 AM.
Old 01-27-2020, 06:36 PM   #290  

It has been a long day. They didn't get Daddy moved by 10:30 this morning. I stayed with him at the hospital until DS came and relieved me a little before noon so that I could come home and get DH so he could go for his lab work. Talked to DS when I got home and they were still at the hospital. The guy came to get Daddy but they realized that he would never be able to be transported in a wheelchair. So he went back and they have been waiting for an ambulance to be free to go get Daddy and take him back. I still haven't heard from her so don't know if they are still at the hospital or not. Daddy has slept most of the day.

Today is DH and my anniversary. I was too tired to go out like we usually do for steak so we stopped at Taco Bell. We have never eaten there together and I didn't like their food in SC. We decided to try them since I've been hungry for a taco salad. I haven't had a good take out taco since we left FL. It was really good and though not fancy, it was a nice relaxed dinner. I didn't realize until I got home that I had fasted all day with only having drank 2 cups of coffee. I took one to drink on the way to the hospital and had one when I got home while waiting for DH to get up. I am going to try to do at least a 16 hr fast tomorrow too. It is supposed to rain tomorrow so DS and I both plan to stay home now that Daddy will be back at the nursing home.

Pipsicle It is really nice that you are able to enjoy your exercising skiing. Living in the south most of my life, I never had the privilege of skiing or ice skating. I would have loved trying it when I was younger but never had the opportunity. Congratulations on the 14 lb loss.

Mad I read on line that a person who has been on antibiotics for quite some time needs to eat Activia twice a day for at least 2 weeks. I am hoping we can get him to do that. We are going to see if the nursing home can give it to him and if not we will buy them. Just heard DS and they are on the way to the nursing home and he isn't in a log of pain right now. Of course, like she said ambulance drivers know how to move him so that it doesn't hurt him whereas the hospital doesn't.

Carol Sue I'm finding it easier and easier to fast 16 hrs each day but I would love to be able to fast the 20 hrs again like I did today. Right now it is easier to do my 4 hrs from 3 pm so that I can have a snack in the evening. I just read in Dr. Agatstaon's book says that the still cut oats is an excellent choice because it helps with the satiety and digestion as well as slows down he insulin release.

I'm tired so I will close and catch all of y'all tomorrow. Have a good evening.
Old 01-27-2020, 07:47 PM   #291  

Trish, the first time I ate steel cut oats I didn't like the chewy texture. I was used to the packets of instant I took to work. They take 25 minutes to cook. I hate to waste food so I wouldn't throw them away. DH only likes the quick oats. I ate the steel cut a couple times. For some reason today I loved them! The box is old and probably expired but they tasted fine. I checked the box for bugs. LOL

They brought DH home in a wheelchair and he said it was terrible. I'm glad they got an ambulance for your Dad.

I had a terrible eating day. I was so mad that i went 19 hours of fasting but went up 2 lbs. I understand fluctuations but what do I have to do? I really like the way i feel not eating at night. I could accept maintaining but not a 2 lb gain! Now I will probably gain more!

I have several more Autophagy books to read on my Kindle. It seems that reading those books keeps me on plan. It keeps the thought in my mind and I do better. Today after I made the oatmeal, DH made eggs and sausage, but I only ate a couple bites of his. He has been making sunny side up eggs lately and I prefer scrambled. I can pass on the sunny side up. Then I ate a deli sandwich for lunch, had a couple mini Kit Kat bars, then we went out to dinner and I got a cordon bleu sandwich that I didn't even like but I ate it anyway. It was a new item at the restaurant we always go to. I decided to try it since nothing else appealed to me. I wasn't hungry, and that's why nothing appealed to me! But DH wanted to eat so I ate. I hate that, too, but I didn't plan ahead. When I know we are going out to eat I try to eat less at home. Then after we came home I had more Kit Kat and also some donuts. Plural!! Started fasting again at 6 so my fast won't be as long. I plan on doing better tomorrow. I just had to get my anger out of my system. Isn't that awful? I haven't done that for ages!

I just saw this online and I'm going to try it.
Here's The Easiest Way To Cook Steel-Cut Oats
  1. Add steel-cut oats and water/milk (a ratio of 1:3) to a saucepan, give it a little stir and bring to the boil.
  2. Then, place the saucepan lid on, turn off the heat completely and go to bed. (Yes, really.)
  3. In the morning, take off the lid, and there you have creamy, perfectly cooked steel-cut oats.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 01-27-2020 at 08:35 PM.
Old 01-28-2020, 06:39 AM   #292  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

154 this am. My eating window yesterday was way too long, otherwise i did well. Planning to fast today.
Carol: I like the idea of the leave-it-be oatmeal. I tried it in the slow cooker, but I overcooked and dried out actually.
My favourite fluid to use for it is plain, unsweetened soy milk, which has its own nutty flavour, and I love how they go together. I might try this sometime soon.

Quiet day for me so just a couple of walks planned.
May organize doggy daycare for tomorrow as DH wants to go skiing.
Blessings for a good day everyone
Old 01-28-2020, 09:05 AM   #293  

Mad, I didn't do the overnight oats because I didn't want to eat til later today. My fast didnt actually start until 6 when I finally stopped eating.

My weight is back down today even though I overate. It was probably fluid retention plus I didn't really overeat, just a lot of sugar instead of healthier food. So I am in a much better mood. what a difference a day makes. All the candy is gone until DH buys more. The donuts are still here but not calling my name.

I had some nausea overnight for the second time. I think it could be from the candy, or the Metformin I take at bedtime. I might try not taking it since I'm usually 6-8 hrs into my fast. It doesn't usually bother me, though.

I like my oats made with water but use AS on it. I never tried it with milk. I should try. I only like cows milk.

DH made scrambled eggs and sauteed mushrooms. Mushrooms are healthy. I am now making some steel cut oats. They gave me both in the hospital although the servings were smaller. These are Quaker. Next time I will try Bob's Red Mills, but it will take a long time to use this up.

From what I've read, I'm not fasting long enough to get autophagy. That is disappointing but I am getting some benefits because of not having the palpitations and also it seems to stop or limit my incontinence. Most books I've read say you have to fast at least 24+ hours for autophagy. But I just feel so much better generally when I fast, I have more energy.

Trish, I got a message from our hospital about their Bariatric Center. They have classes you can attend if you are interested in surgery, plus it said they have alternate non surgical plans. I looked into it and it is Ideal Protein, so I'm not interested.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 01-28-2020 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-28-2020, 02:27 PM   #294  

Carol Sue and Mad I like steel cut and used the brand our local store sales. I liked mine cooked in water and I usually make mine in the microwave. I tried the overnight oats, but I didn't like the texture.

I did a 17 hr fast today. I broke my fast with 2 boiled eggs after my 30 minutes on the bike. My FBG was 115 and my weight was back up to 206.4 this morning. Maybe it was the seasoning etc in the taco salad.

Dr. Fung's new newsletter had an article on mindful eating (IE) I skimmed over it and I saved it to read later. I am going to do that along with the IF. I was going to fast 24 hrs but just felt like I needed to eat some protein and had the boiled eggs in the fridge and ate 2 of them. DS eats a lot of boiled eggs and carries them with her in her purse for emergencies. I'm not happy with how my weight is moving with the shots and have decided to do it for another month and if things don't start working better as I realize that I've had about a week or more that I wasn't able to really watch what I was eating all that much going in and out of the hospital with Daddy. However, I am not willing to continue driving all the way over there and spend the money if my weight isn't moving any better than it did without the shots. I really am more interested in the SBDK and I believe it will work just as well if not better than the shots. I will give it a fair chance before I make the decision.

DS went out to see Daddy and she said she went to the office and complained because she pressed the call button and she said she didn't know how long she waited before she timed 20 minutes and they had not come to see what he needed. She went to the office and told them that if it had been an emergency he would have been dead. I will go tomorrow and see how things are going then. She did learn that he will be on the antibiotic for 12 days and then they will start his therapy again. She said that he did talk more today but drops off to sleep while talking to you. I always slept a lot when taking antibiotics so I assume that is normal and good. I still am not sure exactly how this is going to go. He evidently is going to stay under Palliative Care when he goes off the antibiotics. I don't want to give up on him but don't want to be in denial either. It is still a wait and see situation.

Have a nice day everybody.
Old 01-28-2020, 04:46 PM   #295  

Trish, I don't know what caused my 2 lb increase but it was gone today. So yours probably will be too. I guess this is a peril of daily weighing. You have to deal with fluctuations.

We finally went to Tx Roadhouse. I got pulled pork vegetables and baked sweet potato. I had a sidekick of ribs for an appetizer, 4 ribs. I just ate a few bites of everything and brought the rest home. It was all delicious but I did not stuff myself.

I think if your Dad is drifting off to sleep then he really needs his sleep. DH slept a lot when he first came home for about 6 weeks. I don't think it is reason for concern. I hope they take good care of him. Response was very poor when DH was in the nursing home, too. It's usually better in the hospital.

Are you still taking the pills you were taking in between the shots? I agree you gave the shots a chance but you did lose some weight.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 01-28-2020 at 05:00 PM.
Old 01-28-2020, 07:52 PM   #296  

Carol Sue No, I am not taking the pills since I get the shot every week now. I am going to give the shots a few more weeks. I am getting better at the fasting and maybe it will all come together now that I'm not under the stress of Daddy being sick. I have no problem taking the shots if they are working and I realize that the problem thus far may have been me and what I was eating when I wasn't cooking the past week or so and not the shots. That is why I want to give it a fair chance.

I actually had a very good eating day today. I started with the 2 boiled eggs for breakfast and had a nice salad with the fish and black eyed peas. Then I had a high protein shake for a snack to end the 7 hr eating window. My calories were less than 1100 today and my net carbs less than 70 grams.

Most of the nurses who know Daddy at the rest home are good to him. DH thinks it is because they have to put on gowns, gloves and masks when they go in to take care of him probably hate having to dress in all that garb. I usually don't worry about him. However, he is on a different hall and we just may have start going in more often while he is on that hall so they will be more attentive to him. It is sad that you have to do that, but whatever it takes. Remember we did that when we first went there and things always went smoothly for him.

Glad you got your TX Roadhouse dinner. The Ribs sounds so good. I would love to have some ribs. I saw some at Walmart yesterday but didn't buy them. There is a place here in town that makes really good bbq but not sure if I can get the ribs with the sauce on the side. I will have to check into that.

Old 01-29-2020, 08:56 AM   #297  

My BS was up but Wt was down so I'm happy. I'm getting to the point that wt is more important. I can always take G to get BS down if necessary but Wt is harder. It would be nice if I could take a pill and weight would come down. I didn't sleep good and I think it was because BS was up. Or it was up because I didnt sleep good. Anyway, it only came down .2 but if it did that every day it would be more than a lb per week, so i will gladly take those tenths. I am at 191.2. I can't wait to start down through the 180s. Once I hit 179 that was my low last year so then the real counting can begin. I sure gained faster than I lose! I am going to try really hard not to get any more ups.

Trish, I don't like cold hard cooked eggs. I used to eat them but DH only likes them warm, freshly cooked so he has me preferring them too. They are really a nice snack to keep on hand. Sometimes I will put a cold one in hot water to warm it up. I also like to cook chicken legs to keep for a snack but if I do, DH feeds them to the dog.

I never cook ribs because DH won't eat them. He doesn't like any meat with a bone or BBQ sauce. He is so picky. So I only get it at TX Roadhouse. the sidekick is 4 ribs and that's fine for me. He will eat pulled pork if I make it and serve the sauce on the side.

Edit: We ran out to Wal-Mart and Target. I was thinking that I should eat before we went but I didn't and I was ok. I want to fast until dinner in a few hours. I am at 20 hours right now. I have a lot of healthy food on hand but with fasting I don't have time to eat it. I bought stuff for salad, some hummus to eat with celery and some potato starch to mix in my yogurt. But I have to do something for dinner that he will eat. So it's either fast, or eat the food I bought. I want to fast when I'm able to because I will have days when I'm not up to it. I hope that food does not go to waste but losing weight and getting healthy is more important right now.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 01-29-2020 at 01:48 PM.
Old 01-29-2020, 03:57 PM   #298  

I've now lot 10 lbs since I started the shots. I am back on my own version of low carb/CAD type plan. Can't say I'm 100% low carb but I do like some things about CAD/CALP that I want to implement into my own plan along with IF/IE and low carb. I say my own way of doing it because I like eating beans, peas like the black eye plans and I also want the choice of some whole grains from time to time. After reading Dr. Agatston's Keto friendly low carb book and Dr. Fung's The Obesity Code Cookbook, I think that I as long as I'm doing Intermittent Fasting along with the keto friendly low carb with a semi-CAD/CALP's one hour of eating my carby carbs and then have my other meal or meals of very low carb. So I will work at making my own personal way of eating to lose weight and be healthy. I even thought about doing Atkins again like I used to do in SC. Back then I ate, I ate Atkins most of the time with an occasional CAD meal from time to time but only when we ate out.

Carol Sue I too am finding it easier and easier to fast. I always fast when I to WI and get my shot. I decided to go by and see Daddy on the way back home from Bariatrics. I had taken 2 of my protein shakes intending to give one to Daddy and drink one on the way home. However, he liked the Equate chocolate better than the Premier so I left both the Equate shakes with him. Therefore, I ended up not eating anything at all. I am going to end up with a 20 hr fast today by the time I eat dinner around 3ish. I will do this as many days as I can.

Daddy was very insistent that they put him in the wheelchair after he got his antibiotic. Our favorite RN who takes care of Daddy was working today. I talked to him about getting a probiotic for Daddy to take and he agreed with me and said he would get permission tomorrow to order it. He said that Daddy will be in Isolation for 10 more days and then he will go back to his own room. Daddy is very anxious to get back to it. Daddy doesn't really want company right now so I have written people who planned to go see him to wait until he is back in his room for their safety. We only have to wear the gloves which were not out when I got there and the mask which they did have there so I did wear the mask.

Carol Sue Thanks for the idea of the hot water to warm up the boiled eggs. I really don't like cold ones so I will definitely try it next time as I have 4 cold ones left in the fridge.

I hope everyone has a great day.
Old 01-29-2020, 04:34 PM   #299  

Trish, that's a good idea to have visitors wait until he is back in his room. He should be feeling better by then. He should not have to endure visitors if he's not up to it. When I am in the hospital DH is the only one who visits. I prefer not to have visitors.

I am going to do the longer fast 2 days a week and stick to 16-18 5 days a week. I don't want to do OMAD all the time. I might try a 36 he fast once a month. Just taking it one day at a time.
Old 01-29-2020, 08:58 PM   #300  

Carol Sue I did a 3 hr eating window today. We ate our main meal of chicken wings and then because I don't want to eat anything after 7 pm, I had my 30 gram protein shake. I plan to take this one day at a time myself. On days I can do a 20 hr fast I will. Dr. Fung recommended not eating only OMAD all the time because your body adjusts to it and it is harder to lose. So I have no plans to do them. I have heard that 2MAD is better.

Daddy was totally confused after I left. He was in pain and he called DS DD and BIL and told him that he was in the HEB emergency room. Of course HEB is a local grocery store. Baby sister went out there to see him because they are going out of town for a while and he told her that I never go to see him. He didn't remember me being there and taking him his chocolate protein shakes. He was in a lot of pain and he thinks the pain pills are supposed to work immediately. She said vocational therapy talked to him and asked him what year it is and he said 2010. She said he is having trouble swallowing so she wants him to stop using a straw so I don't know how that is going to go. He didn't like before plus he doesn't always remember. DH gets upset with me when I say I still don't know how this is going to go with him. Can only pray and trust the Lord to take care of him. Looks like DS and I will have to take turns going to see him. She will go tomorrow and DH and I will go Friday afternoon because her DD and her hubby are coming in Friday night and they will go Saturday. I will go Sunday because DH and I have doctor's appt. Monday. I certainly hope he gets better physically soon and his mind gets better.
Closed Thread