Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2020, 05:04 PM   #331  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Pipsicle, last spring we had over 121k views so apparently we are losing our appeal. LOL. Some of the lurkers stop in and comment now and then, some of them posters from other threads. I wish more would join in, and wish some of the old posters would come back. We always need fresh ideas and opinions.

I don't understand your hunger. That, and your frequent fatigue sounds like a medical condition but I don't know what it could be.
Old 02-02-2020, 06:22 PM   #332  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

My visit with Daddy was tiring but I need to be there. He was so confused when DH and I walked in. He was in the wheelchair and he told me DS and BIL had just left before we got there, but that wasn't true. This was our day to go because they went yesterday. I talked to the RN because Daddy's socks were so tight they were cutting off circulation to his legs and the lower half of his right leg was cold as ice so she changed them. DS isn't happy about it but they sent blood work out to find out tomorrow if they can stop the antibiotic and I personally hope they can stop them and he can go back to his room. One thing I remember reading about dementia and it said that changes are confusing for them so they don't like it. I hope they can stop the antibiotic so that he gets to go back to his room sometime this week. He kept telling me he had never been crazy before and doesn't know what to do. Bless his heart. I do so hate seeing him this way and hate that we have to leave him.

He did ask for Long John Silver fish to eat so I told him I would have DS get it for his lunch tomorrow. I go for my shot Tuesday this week instead of Wednesday so I asked him if he wanted a Whataburger and onion rings. He said and said tell them to go over board on the stuff they put on it. There is a Whataburger about a block from the Bariatrics office so I'll get that for his lunch Tuesday.

I ended up eating my CB on the 45 calorie Multigrain bread mainly because I never got around to making a low carb almond bread and was too tired to do it when we got home. I am through eating for today and will go for a 23 or 24 hr fast since I am going to the doctor tomorrow and don't like to eat before I go weigh around 1:30pm. So I am fasting now until about 3pm tomorrow.
Old 02-03-2020, 07:30 AM   #333  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Hi friends: 152 this morning after a fast yesterday. I was not difficult or anything, so I am thinking I was having some diet fatigue and just doing too much for me at this time.
Things are good otherwise. I did not go to yoga class yesterday, was too tired. I did get a short nap in, which is always unusual for me to be able to actually sleep, not just rest during the day.

I don't know about lurkers. Never did much of that myself. I have noticed other threads are pretty sparse when I have dropped in. Most of the low carb forums seem fairly inactive, so i have not been going there and feel more comfortable here. I have not seen a fasting thread and it may be that its not as popular, or that we don't want to encourage extremes, like anorexia. Thats ok with me.
We don't talk a lot about actual diabetes these days. I only test occasionally now, and we are all also type 2. Type 1 is very different. Not sure if not talking about actual diabetic issues and just chatting are affecting people coming in. I think we always answer questions when someone does a new thread. I hope we are welcoming too, and if people are not chatting its just because this is not their spot, not that we don't welcome. That said, hello friends and don't be shy.

After our morning walk, I will take Buddy to meet his new vet, and get acquainted. No shots or anything else due, I just want to start things off with no trauma, and get him registered. If problems come up later he will be a registered patient and we will get appropriate service right away. Then this afternoon I go to Toronto, our big city, for an overnight before meetings tomorrow. I am having supper with my sister tonight, looking forward to a good streak dinner at the Keg with her.

Have a good Monday friends.
Old 02-03-2020, 09:01 AM   #334  

Good morning! I am up .2 of a lb today, so not down into the 180s. Patience is a virtue. My upticks are lower each time. I struggled with blood sugar last evening but finally got it down. I did not sleep well and I blame blood sugar for my restlessness.

Trish, we were just talking about LJS because they closed ours several years ago. I guess they didn't get enough business. We are near the turnpike interchange so we have every fast food restaurant imaginable and several sit down restaurants. Two are open all night. I hope your Dad enjoys his LJS and Whataburger. We do not have that here. And I hope he will be better after he goes back to his room.

Mad, when our Mikey's foot was bleeding he did not have a regular vet. The other 2 in our area would not take him. The third one did and they removed his toe. So now we stuck with them for the next two dogs and they are good. Also, when Pupper had a seizure we found out about a pet ER that is open all night. Expensive, but worth it to get care when others are closed. Also, we can go to the Humane Society but there's no appointments. You just wait your turn, first come first served. That's inexpensive if you have nothing else to do that day.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 02-03-2020 at 09:13 AM.
Old 02-03-2020, 12:41 PM   #335  

Good morning everyone. Today DH and I go for our 6 month check up. I'm not sure how my A1c is going to be since my FBG runs a little higher when I fast than when I don't, but I think the IF is so important for so many reasons. Mainly because I am getting rid of stored fat.

Liquid fasting this morning and not much of that. I did have a cup of coffee and a few swallows of water. Weight down .6 lbs today and I just hope by the time I go to get my shot tomorrow that I will at least weight the same. I want to try out this steakhouse closest to us when we leave the doctor's office and I will stick to steak and salad and maybe a veggie depending on what they have to offer. If nothing else I'll have a double salad. Then I will do my best to fast the rest of the evening or have a protein shake. FBG was 116, but that isn't unusual when I fast. So I guess all is good. I'm going to read more from Dr. Agatston's SBDK book and find out what grains I can have. I may have to wait until I go to the local store over by the beauty shop before I can shop for some of the gluten free foods that I need to switch too and I will do that later. So I will be working at switching to SBDK over the next few days or weeks. Amazon carries a lot of gluten free foods.

I went online this morning to see if there was anything about dementia and antibiotics. I was surprised to see that when you take certain antibiotics that especially those for kidney problems can cause a person to appear to have dementia when they actually are experiencing delirium. I called DS and shared with what the article said and we realized that Daddy didn't have these problems until he started taking all the cipro type drugs etc with the first UTI he had a few years ago in when he was living in his own home. That is when he also started having all those falls. I also explained to her why DH was concerned about him being on the antibiotics so long and what can happen from that. The doctor over this nursing home as well as some others specializes in treatment of elderly people so I told her that if he is the one who is wanting to pull Daddy off of the antibiotics a week early if the blood tests come back clear that he understands the things I read this morning. In fact, the dementia like symptoms he is experiencing seems to look like the last stages of death, but when taken off of the antibiotic, a lot of the dementia goes away. So the nursing home, may be wanting to give him a chance to get better. I know that seems to be their goal. I heard one nurses and him joking and she jokingly told him that when she started exercising him this next week he would really think she was mean. So I think that is their goal this week. DS is going out there this morning to get some answers. If she doesn't get what she needs to know there, then she will call the Palliative doctor at the hospital and see what he has to say.

Mad Enjoy your time with your sister. I hope your meeting is one that is of interest to you. Be safe.

Carol Sue DH like LJS but I'm not really fond of it any more and now that I want to get away from flour, I will work at having more home cooked fish instead. I think we are blessed that most of our good restaurants are on the other side of town so we have to be going over there for a good reason or something special to go to those. They don't always have what would fit into my food plan and will be even less so if I am eating low carb keto friendly.

Pipsicle I hope you will have a good day today.

Everybody have a great Monday.

Old 02-03-2020, 01:07 PM   #336  

Trish, I'm glad you and your sister are getting answers about your Dad instead of just listening to what they tell you. He will get better care of they know you are checking up on them. I hope everyone there gets the best care possible.

Last night I ate pasta and this morning I had toast but did not have any reaction at all. So I feel comfortable that I do not have gluten sensitivity. If I cook at home we seem to have too much left over that tempts me to eat. If we eat out there is less food and we can each order different things. If we had LJS I would eat it once in a while. DH will not eat fish that I cook.

Mad, if someone asks a question about diabetes we can answer but only general questions. This thread is about how to lose weight with diabetes, not a medical thread. They should ask their doctor or diabetes educator if the have specific issues to discuss. But I do wish more people would join in. I also miss some old posters who contributed. Like Rennie, Bonnie, p.a., Donna,. There are others whose names I cannot remember. If you are reading, please stop in and say hi, and let us know how your doing.

Edit: my eating window was from 10 to 3. 5 hours. I ate too much again 1300 calories, but thats why I closed my eating window early. I am determined to just have water until bedtime.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 02-03-2020 at 03:03 PM.
Old 02-03-2020, 07:48 PM   #337  

DH and I had an excellent doctor's visit. DH A1c was 6.4 and mine was 5.2. I have lost 15 lbs since my last Doctor's appointment. He is concerned about my stress because of Daddy and wanted to know if the generic Wellbutrin was working for me. I told him I didn't know if it was helping with my eating but something is keeping me calm. I think he would give me a stronger dose or something else if I needed it but I don't really think I do nor do I want to take anything stronger. I shared with him about the SBDK book by Dr. Agatston and told him that I am starting it and that I am doing Intermittent Fasting with a 16:8 ratio. He didn't seem to have any problem with it. He wants me eating dairy. When I told him that Dr. Agatston includes dairy in his low carb diet he seemed happy with it.

He talked to me about taking aspirin and statins. I told him I used to take baby aspirin but couldn't remember why I stopped. He said there is a question about taking it so I can wait. I reminded that I stopped taking the statin because of the way I felt on it. However, I told him that DH and I have started taking Red Rice Yeast. I explained that I had taken it for years but had stopped it when the doctor in SC had told me it was a natural statin, however, when I read it was good to take it that we started taking it again.

DH has been having worse problem with his left ear so he doctor looked in it and saw something in it. So while he sent me to get a bone density test in the other end of the clinic, he removed the blockage. It was a piece of DH hearing aid that had come off and got stuck in his ear. Weird isn't it. He has eardrops for his ear for a week.

I don't have to have mammograms any more after 75 years old. I am not sure how I feel about that. I guess I should ask him if I can have them any way. I'm wondering if Medicare will keep paying for it after 75. The colonoscopy I don't have to do any more. My eye doctor had not sent the info on my last eye exam so he said that he would send for it. So as far as I know I am up to date. He was so pleased with my results. He said that technically that I am still considered diabetic although it is controlled with diet and exercise. He said the diabetes keeps me at risk of heart disease and stroke etc, but that my cholesterol, A1c, blood pressure etc was all good so we would just keep an eye on things. I hope that after being on lchf along with the shots for 6 months that when I have my complete blood work in July that even the triglycerides will be good again too.

This is so long but I wanted to share with y'all why I get so cold. I told him that he and Bariatrics had thoroughly checked me for thyroid problems and everything was fine so I wanted to know why I was cold all the time. He said it is because 1 as you get older you lose some of the thickness of your skin and you will be cooler and 2 that losing weight that I am losing fat and that will cause me to be colder. I laughed and told him that if that means I am losing fat that I will gladly experience the cold.

DH is coming off farxiga as the doctor says that is making him lose weight. He said he will see him in 3 months to see how he is doing without it. He said he wanted him to keep it less than 7.5 and if he can keep it under that without the farxiga that would be great. In fact, he said DH A1c was the lowest this time than it had been since he had been seeing.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 02-03-2020 at 07:49 PM.
Old 02-03-2020, 08:11 PM   #338  

Trish, that is a wonderful doctor visit! Your A1c is great without meds! I don't recall your DH ever having an A1c that low but it might go up without the Farixiga. He was on G before and G makes you gain weight. I would love to get off it but I don't want to take Farixiga. I want to lower it with diet and exercise, but I have to exercise to do that, don't I?
Old 02-03-2020, 08:28 PM   #339  

Location: USA (W/SW) 02Nov2019 -10 lbs 07Apr2020 -20 lbs 11Nov2020 -30 lbs 12Oct2021 -30 lbs 28Sep2022 -40 lbs 01Oct2023 -22 lbs(up 18lb)

S/C/G: 0/-41.5/-70 lbs

So I feasted yesterday in the hopes my body would realize there is no famine. So far, so good and I am on plan for today. Struggling with some work stress though...
Old 02-03-2020, 09:50 PM   #340  

Pipsicle Great day for you today. Stress does make things more of a struggle, but hopefully we can build more good days than bad. I've heard that sometimes it helps to eat and then go back OP but I've always been afraid of doing that. I think it helps to learn to learn to accept the bad with the good ones and move on, but that is always difficult for me to do. I think that comes because those of us who struggle with our bad days think we have to be "perfect" dieters and I don't think there is any such thing. I read a book that told how normal weight people eat and I've observed DH thin daughter when she lived with us. She had days when she ate what we would call an off diet day and then she would go back the next meal or next day to eating normal for her. People who don't have weight problems don't have good eating days and bad eating days this is just "normal" way of eating for them.

Carol Sue You are right, once DH was diagnosed with diabetes, his A1c has never been as low as 6.2. If it doesn't stay under 7.5 without the farxiga, he is talking about putting him on G or something like it.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:21 AM   #341  

I'm down .6 of a lb to 190.4. I can't get below 190 to save my soul! But I had a good fast and drank.plenty of water. Had a pretty good sleep but several potty breaks. Tell back to sleep each time.

Pipsicle, I agree that having a feast day is good, but for me it seems to turn into a feast week. Or, heaven forbid, a feast month! You never know how your body is going to react. Good luck with it.

Trish, your DH A1c might be ok with the dietary changes you have made. G would be good for him since he has a tendency to get too thin. And it is very low cost! Just wait and see.

There was a co-worker who was very thin. She could not eat breakfast. One time her doctor told her to eat a banana every morning for potassium. She had to choke it down. Her AM blood sugar would be so low from not eating. She ate a big lunch, but then was not hungry for dinner. One day she noticed her pants were falling off her and she was down a whole size. She never got on a scale except when she went to the doctor. I can't even imagine that! I am aware of every ounce!! She was doing IF, OMAD, and didn't realize it. My first diet was when I was 21. I went from 150 to 125 and have had a weight problem ever since.

Today I ended my fast around 11am at 18.5 hours. The weird thing is, I wasn't even thinking of eating until DH did. Monkey see, monkey do! He didn't eat breakfast but made noodles and sauce for lunch. I refused to eat that so I made scrambled eggs. I think that was a better choice for me. I don't know what would have happened if I tried to go til dinner. Last time I did that it backfired. Now I don't know what we will eat for dinner.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 02-04-2020 at 12:32 PM.
Old 02-04-2020, 03:59 PM   #342  

Carol Sue You will be in the 180s before you know it. Good for you choosing to eat the scrambled eggs instead of noodles. I bought me some zucchini noodles today so DH and I can have spaghetti one day this next week. I'll make regular noodles for him and I will have mine spaghetti on the the veggie noodles.

My weight this morning on my scale was back down to my 204.4 weight that I was last Wednesday when I had my Bariatrics WI. I think the guy who weighs me gets things mixed up. I was 207 on their scale last week, but 208.6 on it today. I'm not worried because I had on heavier shoes and wore earrings today and I don't think I have been wearing any jewelry before. I wore the shoes I wore because there was possible rain and I know they have enough traction for me not to fall and not sure about the lighter ones. DS and I set up all our appointments for next month.

BBL
Old 02-04-2020, 04:29 PM   #343  

Trish shoes would make a difference but I don't think earrings would! LOL

I forgot to comment on DHS hearing aid. If a piece came off does it still work? Is his ear OK?

We had Wendy's for dinner and my next fast has begun.

I am reading Eat Stop Eat. I'm glad I got it free because it's nothing new so far. Just why we should fast.

I think part of my problem is knowing that I'm starting my overnight fast right after dinner. I feel that I have to eat enough so I won't get hungry after I start my fast. I think I have to eat less for dinner then wait 1 hour after dinner before starting my fast to be sure. I might try that tomorrow.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 02-04-2020 at 04:52 PM.
Old 02-04-2020, 07:13 PM   #344  

Carol Sue Sorry I had call with DS and didn't get to finish what I was writing. I don't the earrings were heavy enough to either. LOL I figure the heavier shoes and the little bit of water I drank this morning was just enough to cause my weight to be higher by the time I got to Bariatrics.
DH hearing is about what it was before he lost the piece in his ear and it is a little sore and infected so the doctor gave him some sample ear drops to help heal it. I think the hearing aid still worked but it wasn't very easy for DH to hear with it.

Daddy was sleeping when I got there to see him. Still very confused. They have stopped antibiotics for 2 days because he now has too much in his body. They will test again in 2 days to see if they can skip 3 days instead of 2. DS talked to the Director of Nurses today to see exactly what is going on and what Daddy has. He did have 6 infections when in the hospital. The nurse read Daddy's information sent from the hospital. No where did they ever have in their records from the hospital that Daddy has 3 to 6 maybe a year to live. Hospice was never mentioned to them. They do have him in Palliative Care to keep him comfortable and pain free and they are exercising him. She said he could die tomorrow but none of the things we were told at the hospital about this being the end of his life is in any of his records perhaps because he is getting better. Daddy kept telling me that a doctor had come to see him and DS found out that the doctor over the nursing home did go see Daddy on Saturday. I feel good about him because he is a Geriatrics specialist.

They said that he has Metastesis Fracture in his back. She said you usually think of cancer when you hear the word metastesis but no where in Daddy's health records even from the hospital says anything about cancer. So he has never been diagnosed with cancer and he isn't being diagnosed with it now. Most of the info I read mentioned it coming from cancer being somewhere else, however, I did read of it bones metastasizing and cancer was not mentions. So we aren't sure what all this means but we feel comfortable that he is getting the best care he can and they won't let him suffer if they can help it. Maybe fatmad knows if it is possible to have this without cancer of if they may just not be tagging him with it at this age. I do appreciate you so much Mad. We also have decided not to tell any including any of our kids about it and we don't plan at this time to tell friends and family. We aren't going to tell Daddy and don't want him worrying about it at this point since he already has enough to worry about. Plus we don't want to scare him with the "c" word since he isn't diagnosed with it any way. Only us 3 sisters and our husbands will know this. It is nice to know that they are very attentive to him and his situation and while it is difficult for us to see it, the DON says they think he is getting better and on February 11th he can go back to his old room and the life he was living before he got sick.

In the midst of all this, I have amazingly done very well today. Of course some of that is because I went to WI and get my injection and then got Daddy a Wendy's chocolate frosty instead of a CB and onion rings of which he only ate a few bites of it but he did want it. I ended up with a 21 hr fast today before I ate. So I had almost 24 hr fast yesterday giving me two good fasting days. I hope I am able to do a good fast tomorrow too. I even came home and cooked a grilled pork steak, salad, collard greens and green beans. Not sure I want to do OMAD but 2MAD most days would be good.

I didn't sleep good last night. Ended up getting only 4 or less hrs of sleep because I ended up taking 1/2 of one of DH OTC sleeping pills. So now I'm going to crash.
Old 02-04-2020, 07:49 PM   #345  

Trish, it sounds Like you are doing well,and you are so busy it's making it easier to extend your fasts. Just be sure to take care of yourself.

I don't know what to say about your Dad except that I am praying for him and your family. It's best that you tell no one about this latest development or they might tell him. No one but God knows how long he will live. They can only guess according to his condition. I pray that he lives comfortably until his time on earth is over.

I am assuming that pallative care, keeping him comfortable, includes pain meds if he needs them.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 02-04-2020 at 08:21 PM.
Closed Thread