Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 08:10 PM   #136  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Well, I got through it. I guess this is why I am still surprised at some of the things other people say. It's something I never heard before because I never went to a nutritionist or a diabetes educator. Everyone's main concern was my heart.

I know what to do, but I don't always do it. Tonight we went out to eat and I ordered a grilled chicken salad. Good. I picked all the french fries out of it. Good. But when she brought the garlic bread, I ate it, knowing what would happen. I really have to learn to say "Hold the bread." Why do I love bread so much? It really has no taste.
Old 11-19-2015, 11:04 AM   #137  
Slow and sure chick

p.a.
I'm so happy for you that you figured out what works for you. Nothing worse than being stuck in neutral...

Carol
I'm sad to hear you got too little support and education at your diagnosis. That was a real disservice to you by the doctors/nurses. Yes, they probably viewed diabetes as the least of your problems then, but still...
Just good work at being self taught and helping others. Unfortunately, diabetes is all too common and so there's information everywhere.

Last edited by Watercolor; 11-19-2015 at 11:05 AM.
Old 11-19-2015, 12:28 PM   #138  

I think the nurses on the cardiac floor didn't realize I was a newly diagnosed diabetic. They were just told to test me and inject insulin. Even though I am now on pills, when I go into the hospital they just inject insulin and don't bother with the pills. I think it's just easier for them. It doesn't matter to me either way as long as I don't have to inject the insulin at home.
Old 11-19-2015, 04:26 PM   #139  

Carol I can't resist garlic bread either,,,,,,or any artisan breads. This week I've passed up a PC of really good homemade bread and a chewy crusty bun.mmmmmm I told them no thanks before it was put in front of me...if it were in front of me I could easily talk myself into eating it.
Old 11-19-2015, 05:43 PM   #140  

We've been eating out a lot lately. I had to go to the doctor's today for a BP check so we went to Bob Evans for dinner. I had grilled salmon with carrots and broccoli. For my bread I chose Banana Nut because I knew DH would eat it, so I was good. Now I have to try not to snack on anything between now and bedtime.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:19 PM   #141  
Slow and sure chick

Carol,
Actually, that's how all hospitals treat inpatients, even those who do not take insulin at home. They call it SSI - sliding scale insulin. Good food choices at Bob Evans! The choice of bread was great, get your wing-man to eat it all!

p.a.
I'm celiac and can't eat gluten, but when I see pretty bakedi goods it's hard to resist. So I have an occasional pity party. I'm used to it. Just don't put me into a gluten free bakery - I would need a wheelbarrow to get out!
Old 11-20-2015, 08:30 AM   #142  

Cindy, I have never tasted gluten free bread. I know my grandson didn't like it when he had to eat it. The day the doctor decided to take him off the gluten free diet they took him straight to McDonalds so he could have a hamburger on a white bun. At home I use sprouted grain wheat bread. I buy it at Target and keep it in the freezer. I rarely eat it, only when I want toast with my eggs or if I'm making a sandwich. It is lower calorie/carb. Now I started buying low carb Pitas. I keep them frozen too but eat them more often. I cut them in half and put a salad in them, and eat it like a sandwich. It's getting me to eat more salad greens. It's out in a restaurant when they bring those rolls and bread that I have a hard time resisting. My FBG is 208 this morning. I want to scream every time I see that, but I will keep trying to get it to come down.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:10 AM   #143  
Slow and sure chick

Carol
I don't do gluten free bread much at all, it's tough to take. It's the gluten free baked goods that get to me. OMG.

ME
Down another pound thanks to a healthy carb day. I made a pot of veggie minestrone with chickpeas and no pasta. I love homemade soups and stews and this is the time of year for them.
Old 11-20-2015, 04:32 PM   #144  

I was down two pounds today,,,,,, I tried a little experiment late yesterday. I ate an apple later in the day and this morning my bg was 6.2....- all week without eating an apple it was 5.2. Apples will now become a treat not a daily thing like they were. I'm going to try raspberries next...I miss fruit.
Old 11-21-2015, 09:05 AM   #145  

Congratulations to both of you on your weight loss. Good deal!

p.a. I have never been a fruit eater. I like bananas which are pretty much off limits now. I eat apples and pears sometimes, but fruit is never a first choice if I'm hungry. It's something I always try to make myself eat because it's "healthy." I don't like berries either. I love grapefruit and used to eat it often, but don't you know, I'm not allowed to have it at all now because it interacts with one of my meds. Really, I would rather have the grapefruit and skip the med. LOL
Old 11-21-2015, 09:12 AM   #146  
Slow and sure chick

p.a.
Maybe because you ate the apple late in the day? I can't eat carbs after 5 pm if I want a low fasting BG in the morning.

Carol
Sorry you can't have grapefruit, it's a great flavor. I love fruit, but it's hard to work it into diabetic eating. I had some blueberries from Argentina yesterday that were scrum. It's hard to get really yummy fruit up here in Boston this time of year, so I relish it.
Old 11-22-2015, 06:51 AM   #147  

When I worked at a mail order pharmacy, I looked up the information about having grapefruit with my meds. It said "do not drink large amounts of grapefruit while taking this med, such as a quart or more." On my morning break I used to eat one of those single serve cups of grapefruit with juice. It contains maybe 4 grapefruit sections along with some juice. My boss told me to quit eating it and even got one of the pharmacists involved who said I should not be having any at all. I wanted to show him what it said about it in our own database, but figured it wasn't worth arguing about. I still buy it once in a while and spread a little single serve out over a couple days, just to get a taste of it with my breakfast. I don't eat a whole grapefruit, just a couple sections. It says that it increases the potency of your meds and can damage your liver, but I only take half of what the doctor prescribes for me, so I should be OK if it increases it. Right? LOL I know I should not play around with my doses, but my blood work still comes out in the satisfactory range. I like the pink grapefruit the best.

DH always eats cereal before he goes to bed. Last night he made Cream of Wheat and I just had to have a big spoonful of it! And he had already put sugar in it. It was delicious, but I paid for it this morning with my BS.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 11-22-2015 at 07:10 AM.
Old 11-22-2015, 06:00 PM   #148  

Yes I will play around with times and fruit...I had never thought of that before
Old 11-23-2015, 11:51 AM   #149  

p.a. I know you already had Thanksgiving in Canada, but Cindy, are you cooking for Thanksgiving? This year I am only cooking for DH and I, a small dinner for just us, as other family members are going elsewhere this year. It will be quiet and relaxing, and I don't have to share my turkey with anyone!! LOL I love turkey, and turkey leftovers.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:36 PM   #150  

I struggled through last night but didn't eat anything after dinner. I woke up with a headache, but my FBG was 176, not over 200 like it's been running. I know that's not good, but it's a step in the right direction.
Closed Thread