Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 10:40 AM   #121  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Good Morning . . .

Jeanne and Monet . . . so glad to see you both posting on here . . . I know this is such a tough time of year to keep up with everything. Good going on that A1C JEANNE; and glad you had a great Thanksgiving. I'm with you MONET; the only thing I really like about turkey is the leftovers for soup and sandwiches (and the stuffing, unfortunately).

My BGL isn't doing too badly . . . finished at 6.8 (122) at bedtime last night and started at 6.5 (117) first thing this morning . . . I'd like it a little lower, but at least we seem to stay fairly balanced throughout the day.

Sun is out this morning but it is cold (just about the freezing mark). I'm still fighting the "gotta bake" urge . . . actually came across a Sugarless Sugar Cookie recipe that I am going to try. If it works out I'll let everybody in on the secret. It's not a perfect 'diet-friendly' recipe because it's still packed with butter, but - hey - every little step in the right direction helps.

Guess I'd better get moving -- I need a couple of ingredients for the cookies (and a bit of other stuff too). See you all later.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:50 PM   #122  
low carbin' it

S/C/G: ~256/153.5/154

Height: 5'6

Hello! I just joined this board and was told this is where the action is I posted my intro right here so if you want to read my story go there!

Oh Diabetes... how I love you during the holidays. I am having a hard time I guess. It's not so much the holidays, my whole family moved away this year so I decided not to travel for Thanksgiving and spent it with friends going to the movies and feeding the homeless. That was good but the bad part is going to the store and seeing all the cakes, candies, goodies displayed as if they were the most precious things on earth.

I feel like I am caressing the pies with my eyes... it's hard. I worry because since my last doctor's appointment, my doctor said I could test once a week. My A1c was 5.1 and 5.2 on my last two tests (original 10.4). She doesn't worry so much about me. I worry that not testing like I used to will help me to not watch what I eat as much.

I also worry about the upcoming holiday. I will be spending 2 weeks with my family. My dad is diabetic so there are things to eat but I worry about the quantity of food. My mother looooves to feed me big plates. I can't get her to learn small portions (she's a big woman too, so she needs to). I worry I'll gain weight, I worry I'll be spiking all over the place. I worry it's going to be too cold to take a walk around the neighborhood. Too many worries.

Anyway, jeanne and meowee, great going on yoru numbers. I know how hard it is.

Last edited by bluex; 11-25-2007 at 08:57 PM.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:59 AM   #123  
Onward and Downward

Good Morning Sugar Babes . . .

Nothing too exciting around my neck of the woods for today . . . I didn't sleep all that well last night but the BGL is okay at 6.3 (113) this morning.

Hi there BLUEX . . . to the group and too. Definitely read your introduction and must say you are an inspiration to us all. You lost your excess weight sooooo quickly. for you. Do tell us more about how you managed that amazing feat, Chickie. Rapid weight loss is not something with which most diabetics are familiar . . . unfortunately.

Here's a little tidbit from my e:mail this morning . . . http://www.dukediet.com/publicsite/n...?issueid=28246 . . . pretty sure we've heard it all before . . . but a reminder never hurts -- especially at this time of year.

Finding that sugarless cookie recipe yesterday spurred me into looking through all of my 40-odd Christmas Baking specialty books to see if I could think of some ways to doctor other recipes to be a bit more health-conscious. So far I'm still resisting the baking urge -- but it is getting stronger and stronger. Even bought some cute little cookie pans yesterday so I could package up some goodies to send along with the gifts I mail to parts west early in December. Guess I have to admit I will be baking soon.

Have a great day, everybody . . . keep things moving and shaking and I'll see you later . . .
Old 11-26-2007, 01:16 PM   #124  
Never Ever Give Up !

S/C/G: 250/204/150

Hey all and welcome to Bluex ! and thanks you guys on the congrats on my aic,,,I am feeling the same way you do about the byetta Monet,,I have been on it for two years now and at first lost down to 204 from 250 then slowly gained back to 219,I don't think it is helping in that department anymore but it must still be keeping my bs under control,,I know this sounds nuts but I have been taking the 10mg shot and when I went to doctor I told him I couldn't afford to take it any more with out insurance help,anyway he gave me two 5mg to take two shots at once (samples) which was supper of him,,the thing is the two 5mg work better than the one 10mg,,doesn't make any sence to me ?,,,

Monet sounds like your busy with the christmas orders,,do you have a site to go look at the things you make,,would love to see some ?,,Meowee your sugar free cookies sound great,,I do the basket thing at christmas also so have lots to make,,,your bs sounds like it has been good also,,are you on byetta also ?,,,

My bs was 99 this morning,,am out the door to go get some pills filled,,suppose to snow like crazy today so am going to try to beat it,,ha ha,,later all,,have a wonderful day my friends,,,Jeanne
Old 11-26-2007, 02:29 PM   #125  

Morning everyone.. nothing new here.. sl was 89 this morning but the scale says ive gained..sure glad the pie is gonewelcome bluex to our group..im working on xmas gifts.. hope your day is great ((hugs))) rosey
Old 11-26-2007, 05:36 PM   #126  

Cool

Hi all. Yeah, I know, I've been MIA for quite awhile. Have had a series of health problems the last few months, the most recent of which kept me home and barely mobile this past week. I finally made it back to work today but am walking with a cane. I fell on some steps coming out of a movie and twisted my leg and knee. Haven't been to a doctor yet and am almost afraid to go in case there is some permanent damage. I was locked in for three days with only food being Lean Cuisine and meal replacements so that kind of broke up the binge I had been on. Of course, when i finally did make it to the store I of course bought comfort food but I'm still doing better than I was. The thing I can't figure out is why my blood sugar is so high in the morning. I had it down to the 130s (that's good for me) but now it's in the 160s and 170s. The bummer is I had to cancel my endo appt this week because I couldn't get to the lab for the tests. i did have an A1c in October which was 5.8, a little higher than the previous test.
Well, I missed you guys and will try to post more often.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:36 PM   #127  

Hi all, welcome to the newbies from me, still fairly new myself.

I went to the gym today, first time in aaages. I didn't do too much, about 10 minutes on the bike and then some weights on my arms. I think i did ok but even I realise I don't have the same fitness level I had when I was 18 (when I last seriously worked out!). Going to keep going a couple of times a week hopefully to tone up and help ease the diet along.

I've been suffering terribly with insomnia recently and when I do sleep its full of nightmares. Its mainly from stress and I've been eating badly as a comfort, not terribly but badly enough its slowed my weightloss down to be practically non-existent. Taking some herbal sleeping pills tonight and hoping they ease me through it.

Weather in Scotland is awful, cold, wet and misty!

Hope everyone is well...
Old 11-26-2007, 10:33 PM   #128  
low carbin' it

S/C/G: ~256/153.5/154

Height: 5'6

Thanks, meechster2000, Jeanne88 and meowee. I am happy to be here sharing stories.

I am not sure there's some secret that I have to losing weight. For me it's been staying focused. I tell myself in my head that I am allergic to certain foods. I haven't had some of my favorites in a year and a half. No, ritz crackers, no donuts, no potato chips, no recess cups. I don't really eat anything too processed, not even frozen food. It's hard cause I didn't cook at all. Now, I cook all my dinners, and I make all my lunches. By cooking I mean heating stuff up lol. I am not a chef, but I make some kind of meat, some kind of small portioned carb and then half my plates will be vegetables. I tell you the blessing of blessings are those new microwave bags for vegetables. I just throw anything in those bags (spinach, brussel sprouts, green beans) and microwave for a few minutes and there you have steamed veggies! It's wonderfully easy.

I feel better today cause I got walking again after not walking much during the holiday week. I walk after work with some co-workers 3 times a week and then on the weekend with a friend. It's so good to have someone to be accountable to for exercise. It's also nicer to walk when you can gossip and chat with somebody. When I have to walk on my own, it's too easy to just stay home.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:16 AM   #129  
Onward and Downward

Good Morning Sweeties . . .

Boy we are having a lot of rain today, and a lot of very high winds to go with it. The one good thing is that the temperature is already sitting at 14C / 57F and it's only 9:30 in the morning. Personally, I'd still prefer colder with

My bad news for this morning -- my BGL is a whopping 8.1 / 146 -- maybe I had a low just before I got up although that has not been one of my regular events since I stopped using insulin last month. Hey . . . no place to go but down, I hope.

My good news for this morning -- although it does reflect my major level of senior stupidity -- I dragged the scale out of the corner (because I thought this was the 28th and therefore my day to weigh-in for this month ) and he very kindly told me 222.2; for a loss of 2.8 pounds in the past four weeks (well four weeks less one day). Maybe I'll weigh again tomorrow and take the lower of the two numbers as "it" for November. Will change my ticker tomorrow.

JEANNE . . . Have heard that same story (re: weight-loss; not the odd one about 2 shots being better than 1) about Byetta quite often. I think the good thing is that unlike Glyburide, Actos, Insulin (and others -- in fact just about everything but Metformin), Byetta is not famous for causing weight gain. We don't have Byetta in Canada yet . . . I've read that it will probably be approved here at the beginning of 2008 . . . although I'm not sure if I want another injectible (having finally gotten rid of the insulin), I'll probably discuss it with my doctor when it arrives as a possible replacement for the Actos/Glyburide.

ROSEY . . . Glad you are still having those nice BGL readings even though the scale- is not playing nice. Hey, now that the pie is a thing of the past, nowhere to go but down, girl.

ROSETTA . . . So good to hear from you, although definitely sorry to hear about the leg disaster. Maybe you are having middle-of-the-night lows, too. Have you checked the BGL at the 2 am to 4 am mark? That A1C is still a good number, Chickie, even if it is a little higher than you are used to seeing. Don't be a stranger . . . we miss you and worry about you when you aren't here with us.

MEECH . . . Same goes for you, I was a little worried that we hadn't heard from you . . . know you are busy, of course. Hope those herbal sleeping aids help. I've been taking Melatonin at bedtime (when I remember) and it seems to help me a little. Stress does such horrible things to our eating and sleeping patterns and it's pretty hard on the BGL control, too. Good going with the exercise, though.

BLUEX . . . You are still an inspiration to us all even if you don't have the "miracle" weight loss cure to share with us (oh, wouldn't it be nice if there really was one) . . . whatever it is that you've been doing, keep doing it, Chickie. You can't go far wrong with the 1/2 plate of veggies routine. You know, I have yet to try those steamer bags -- must get some.

Well, I better get myself moving and shaking . . . this just may be the day that the 'baking bug' wins the battle (especially since I've already doen my monthly weigh-in and figure I can afford a treat -- I know, I know, Bad Attitude, Meowee). Anyway, hope everybody has a great day . . . see you all later . . .
Old 11-27-2007, 12:46 PM   #130  

Hi all

The herbal sleeping tablets did something as I slept very well last night and felt much brighter today. I've had a physical day today cleaning casks for my brewery and then went back to the gym this afternoon. I tried the horizontal bike today and found it a lot more comfortable, didn't put the same strain on my back that I had on the other one yesterday. Did the upper body exercises too and all in all feel pretty good.

Have to confess to not doing any blood readings for a few days as my battery died but bought a new one today so can get back on track.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:10 PM   #131  
creations

Default Good afternoon

Sorry I haven't been posting. Too much stress around here. Still having problems with our cat,son's job is day to day,the transmission went on their van,my husband's accident. I can just go on and on.
Think I'm going to be one of those people who will be glad when the holidays are over. Don't even want to decorate.
On the plus side I did post a few things on etsy to try and raise some money. Will post some more tomorrow.

Judy S
Old 11-27-2007, 02:42 PM   #132  
Never Ever Give Up !

S/C/G: 250/204/150

Hi all ,,just a quick drive by to say hi,,not feeling to good today,,that crud has been going around and I have managed to not get it until it started coming on last night and of course I work on wed,,,tight chest,,cough,,just icky feeling,,,so am going to stay down today and hope for work in the am,,can't really miss it $$$$$...my bs was up this morning also 140 which is high for me in the am,,,

Well take care all,,will write more when I feel better,,,creation sorry things have been so hard for you,,will be sending up good thoughts for you and your family,,,Meechster,,glad you got some relief from the sleep aid,,,nothing worse than no sleep and nightmares,,,I have them when my bs is low,,Meowee,,wow,,congrats on the wt loss,,good for you girl,,,bluex,,you are so right about the walking,,it does make all the differance,,,I just can't seem to make myself do it,,I walk so much at work on my days off that is the last thing I want to do,,,need to change my way of thinking,,Rosettastone,,sorry about your fall,,it is so hard to get back to normal sometimes,,,good luck,,,Rosey,,,hi girl,,sounds like you are busy with the holiday stuff,,,wish I had your christmas mood,,,later all,,Jeanne
Old 11-27-2007, 03:36 PM   #133  
Onward and Downward

Hi . . .

Just dropping back in to tell you not to hold your breath waiting for the glorious recipe for Sugarless Sugar Cookies . . . basically a waste of good ingredients. Came out kind of like a cross between sugar cookies that weren't sweet enough and shortbread that wasn't short enough. Mind you, I managed to eat a few (just to make sure ) before I tossed the rest out for the birds.

JUDY . . . . . . good luck with the Etsy stuff. Hope it works out for you.

JEANNE . . . . . . hope you beat the bug, chickie.

MEECH . . . . . . amazing how a little sleep improves our outlook. Hope it continues.

There's a good article on the Stress Connection in my e:mail this afternoon that I thought you might like to have a look at . . . http://www.dlife.com/dLife/do/ShowCo...e_you_fat.html . . .

Later . . .
Old 11-27-2007, 04:05 PM   #134  

Thanks folks, I'm a terrible worrier and it does trigger terrible insomnia but I don't like to hit the drugs as its too easy to get hooked on something like that. That was a really useful article for me Meeowe, I've found when my blood sugar levels are swinging about I'm prone to bouts of depression. What I have discovered is exercise definitly helps mood swings so hoping to stick with it and build up to doing more and more.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:11 PM   #135  

Hi everyone.. its really cold here today.. im trying to stay on my diet..harder to do after the stuffed turkey feeling..my sl was 91 so things are holding steady in that dept..meowee congrats on the wt lossand sry the cookies turned out blah maybe thats good thing tho ..rosetta am so sry you hurt yourself.. hope you heal up quickley..ive missed you ..jeanne ive had that cold and flu to allready this year take care of yourself..judy a big (((hug))) for you and hope things improve, decorate anyways it will make you feel better..meechester glad you had agood night sleep,i use benedryl to help me sleep..its for allergies but makes me sleepy..bluex its nice to meet you and yes your weight loss is inspiring..today i did some house work and then tried to make some beaded ornaments.. i must need stronger glasses as i had a tuff time seeing what i was doing.. christmas is my favorite time of year..i love doing for my family and all the traditions etc.. i have lots of worries this year but also lots to be thankful for too.. i choose to enjoy the holidays and hope u all do too..give your smiles away they are free and just might brighten someone elses day.. ttfn and (((hugs))) for all rosey

Last edited by akrosey49; 11-27-2007 at 06:11 PM.
Closed Thread