Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 03:09 PM   #91  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Oh boy ROSEY . . . whatever got you the other day got me today . . . whatever time I have not been in the bathroom, I've been trying to sleep. Yuck. Hopefully it will be a thing of the past by tomorrow.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:14 AM   #92  
Onward and Downward

Good Morning . . .

Thankfully, my system seems to be back to normal today -- more or less. Strange weather in the forecast again today -- very mild (high of around 15C/60F) but extremely windy and rainy. Tomorrow, they are calling for sunshine but a lot colder (high of around 5C/40F). So, my burning question for this morning -- do I go out to finish some shopping today in the rain or tomorrow in the cold. Decisions, decisions . . .

Amazing how the mind wanders . . . my 'episode' yesterday got me wondering how many of those about 600 calories of lunch I actually absorbed. Although I felt rotten almost immediately, I didn't actually start 'getting rid of it ' until a couple of hours later. That thought led to meandering thoughts of the poor people who suffer from Bulimia; especially those who abuse laxatives. Now, I sort of understand that for those who throw up immediately after a binge -- the food isn't in their system long enough for the calories to stick. But if you take a strong laxative, I would think it would take a little while before it would work; so some of the calories would be absorbed, wouldn't they? Hey, the part I really cannot understand is why anyone would want to inflict an afternoon like I had on themselves.

Anyway, that's definitely enough of those thoughts . . . here's an article about the importance (and dangers) of exercise for the diabetic . . . http://www.everydayhealth.com/public...d99a5dec25&p=2

Hope everybody has a great day . . . no matter what kind of weather you are having . . . keep up the good work, gang . . .
Old 11-16-2007, 10:32 AM   #93  
creations

Good morning everyone.
My bs is still on the high sided but I've been sleeping like a baby. Scale says I lost 10 lbs but my clothes day ,where?
Went and did some Christmas shopping yesterday. About half way thru. I know what I want to get,just waiting for the sales.
Tomorrow is the last craft show of the season for me. I'm done until April,thank goodness.

Judy
Old 11-16-2007, 01:29 PM   #94  
Onward and Downward

Hi JUDY . . . hope that last craft show is very successful for you.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:00 PM   #95  
Onward and Downward

Back again . . . just found another one of those little D:Life quizzes in my e:mail in-box. This one is about alcohol consumption and diabetes . . . guess it's that time of year . . .

http://www.dlife.com/dLife/do/ShowQuizPage?quizId=20

Basically, I'm a non-drinker . . . not becuse I consider it evil or bad or anything like that . . . I just don't like either the feeling or the taste . . . quite honestly, I prefer to drink water. Anyway, I only got 7 out of 12 right. There was a lot of eye-opening information in there for me.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:29 PM   #96  
Happy New Rears!

My post disappeared I posted a rather lengthy one with lots of quotes and responses.

Anyway... Meowee, glad you are feeling better, I've been running to the bathroom too - I think it's nerves though (or excitement)

Rosey, hope you are feeling better too

creations - have a great craft show, hope there are lots of people there in the spending mood.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:36 PM   #97  
Onward and Downward

Goodness where is everybody today ??? Hope it's a fun place at least.

We have had a gorgeous cold and sunny day -- but still a little too windy. Great shopping day though . . . but i spent more than I was planning to, of course, but the Christmas list is getting down to a more managable size now.

Lunch was great, but too much of it, but at least I didn't end up sick today. BGL was too high at 7.1 (128) this morning and I haven't checked it since but wouldn't bet that it is too great since lunch included two - not just one - two blueberry scones. They were good, but not as great as I remember -- so why did I have two.

Here's another article from my e:mail . . . this one about diabetes and cardiovascular disease . . . http://www.everydayhealth.com/public...ec66ffb6c2&p=1

Hope everybody has a great evening . . . see you soon . . .
Old 11-17-2007, 05:11 PM   #98  

Hi everyone.. sry for not posting.. i have had alot on my mind..after talking to my sisters(and they talked to my mom's dr)i have better understanding of what she will be fighting..i also looked up the treatments in web md and the american cancer society..its an agressive cancer and they are doing a newer treatment on her.. she doesnt want chemo and becuz of her age surg is not an option.. she is in remarkably good spirits tho(better than her daughters)being in a frazzled state of mind i was lurker..in all the stress i forgot again to ck my sl..so today im going to stay busy and have friends over tonight to play cards..im shopping to meowee.(on the puter). i used to have avery long list but when the dh retired i cut it down a bit.. xmas is my favorite holiday and i keep telling my self its not about the gifts but the family and friends..but i do LOVE xmas and all it entailshope u are all having agreat weekend (((hugs))) rosey "wave"
Old 11-18-2007, 07:46 AM   #99  
Onward and Downward

Morning everybody . . .

Oh dear ROSEY . . . my for your Mom, my dear. I know you are worried, but please remember to take care of yourself.

Anyway, the sun is shining again and I think I'm going to continue my shopping spree since I seem to be on a roll of finding just the right things for the right people. Besides, that's a lot more fun that the laundry that I should be doing and since it is supposed to snow tonight, tomorrow sounds like a good laundry day to me.

My BGL was a nice 5.6 (101) this morning -- maybe because I was up so early? Certainly not because I ate so properly yesterday. Who knows anymore . . . I will never understand this disease. It so likes to keep us guessing.

Hope everybody else has a great day, too. Keep on doing the good stuff as much as you can, gang . . . see you later . . .
Old 11-18-2007, 10:51 AM   #100  
creations

Good morning. Its a beautiful sunny day here.
Craft show was ok. Down from last year. Just got home last night and got a call that my husband was in a minor accident. So I had to drive 20 miles to get him and it was cold and rainy. The brakes went out on his pickup. He hit the car in front of him at a tracffic lite. No one was injured but he got a ticket. Minor damage to his pickup. So he's using my van until we figure out how to get it home and the brakes checked out. Just had new ones put on in July.
So eating was the pits for last night,ate everything in sight. Will get back on the wagon today.
Judy
Old 11-18-2007, 11:24 AM   #101  

Hi all,

I've been sooooo bad today. A couple of favourite customers bought us a huge tin of toffees and chocolates and I think I've had about 5 or 6 of them. I'm afraid to check my sugar levels now as it's not going to be pretty but going to be strong and not have any more.

Other than that I've been doing ok, lost half a stone so far which I'm so pleased about and my back injury seems to be improving.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:33 AM   #102  
minimouth

S/C/G: 274/255/160

Height: 5' 2"

Hello everyone, I'm having a hard time this past week staying on my diet. I bought some candy from my granddaughter who was selling it for school and I can't seem to stay out of it! With Thanksgiving dinner coming up this week I will be a wreck. I'm thinking of not even having dinner with my family because cornbread stuffing is my favorite thing and right now my will power is weak. I don't know how it will affect my BG but I know it will play havoc with my weight loss! How do ya'll handle a big celebration like Thanksgiving dinner? HELP!!!
Old 11-18-2007, 02:36 PM   #103  
Happy New Rears!

Sorry guys, I've been so busy with work and home trying to get ready for my trip that I haven't had time to read & post

Rosey, so sorry to hear about what you and your family are going through Just take it a day at a time.

creations - wow getting a call like that is scary! glad the accident was not serious. Glad everything is okay

meechster - toffee and chocolates... oh dear lord, I know how hard they are to resist. Sometimes your day is going fine and then the next thing it's screwed up by a temptation that was unexpected.

minimouth, Iguess I would have to say - have your dinner with your family, it's a holiday. A good strategy would be to eat during the day so you are not starving by dinner time. Have a big fruit and veggie plate an hour before dinner, so when dinner is out you won't be so hungry. Have a little bit of stuffing and the things you love, and more of the things better for you. Good Luck, Thanksgiving is a tough one!

I'll be in Naples, Italy on Thanksgiving, the ship will have turkey, I'm sure.. but for lunch I'll be trying some 'real' pizza.

I weighed in at the dietitians yesterday and had lost 3/4 of a pound LOL in two weeks - I told you all the binging and non-exercise days would make me pay. but at least I didn't gain. That's the important thing.

My next weigh in is December 15th - a whole month away - I have an eating/exercise plan for the cruise and I am just going to try and do the best I can. Have a good healthy breakfast and try to control myself at lunch and dinner - walk around the ship every days (3 times round is a mile) , take the stairs not the elevators, do lots of walking when I'm on shore excursions... Wish me luck.

I might not be able to post again until I'm back (Dec 9) - I hope you all have a good three weeks, Take Care,

Last edited by ThinGirl in FatBody; 11-18-2007 at 02:37 PM.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:40 AM   #104  
Onward and Downward

Good Morning . . .

Just finished doing a little inventory and . . . drum roll, please . . . except for a few gift certificates and a couple of books I'm waiting for from Amazon . . . my Christmas Shopping is done -- although I cannot seem to find one of the things I know I bought early this year and tucked away for somebody. Hopefully it will turn up soon. Probably right after I replace it.

Some more good news for this morning is that all the Cats appear to be on speaking terms now . . . although not exactly on buddy-buddy 'purring' terms, at least most of the growling and hissing at poor little Blizzard has stopped and at meal time, everybody is sharing quite nicely -- food is such a great leveller. Speaking of food -- I had a pretty good OP day yesterday and a good night's sleep last night and yet my BGL is higher this morning (6.5/117) than it was yesterday.

Oh wow, JUDY . . . what a shock . . . so glad DH wasn't hurt. Hope it's not too costly to get the truck fixed -- nobody needs extra expense at this time of year.

Okay, THIN . . . you may not see this, but 'Bon Voyage' -- hope you have a terrific vacation and come home with no extra poundage whatever.

MEECH . . . step away from those goodies . . . . . . and that falls into the "do as I say; not as I do" school of advice. Hey, all you can do at this time of year is your best, my girl.

The same "do your best" goes for you too MINI . . . Lots of turkey and plain veggies if possible and go light on the stuffing, gravy, and desserts. The time from US Thanksgiving through the end of the year is tough -- really, really tough. Wish I had some magic trick that I could share with everybody (and use myself )

Here's a little extra reading for your Monday, gang . . . http://www.everydayhealth.com/public...780118d518&p=5

Hope everybody has a great day today . . . keeping things moving and shaking . . .
Old 11-19-2007, 08:55 AM   #105  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning Everyone,

Just dropping by with some info about a new Type 2 study -

Thursday, November 15, 2007

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - People with type 2 diabetes may lower their risk of heart disease by committing to a daily walk, new research suggests.

In a study of 102 adults with type 2 diabetes, Japanese researchers found that those who stuck with a daily walking regimen for 17 months had a lower risk of developing heart disease or suffering a stroke than those who stopped exercising.

The study participants, who ranged in age from 35 to 75, were instructed to take a 20- to 30-minute walk every day. Among the 64 who managed to achieve this, just 1 - or 2 percent -- suffered a stroke and none developed heart disease during the 17-month study.

In contrast, of the 38 participants who failed to stick with their exercise prescription, 7 -- or 18 percent -- developed heart disease or had a stroke.

The findings show that even simple at-home exercise may cut the cardiovascular risks associated with type 2 diabetes, according to Dr. Sato Shinji and colleagues at Saitama Medical University.

"The markedly lower risk of cardiovascular disease among program completers than dropouts in the current study provides evidence that patients with diabetes may benefit from a regular exercise program," the researchers report in the International Journal of Sports Medicine.

Heart disease and stroke are among the long-term complications of type 2 diabetes, a disorder in which the body no longer responds properly to the blood-sugar-regulating hormone insulin. Uncontrolled blood sugar levels can damage the blood vessels and heart over time.

Better blood sugar control, the researchers note, may help explain why regular exercisers in this study had a lower risk of cardiovascular disease.

SOURCE: International Journal of Sports Medicine, October 2007.
Closed Thread