Old 05-26-2011, 12:13 AM   #61  

PERSONAL INFORMATION:
I'm Mindi,I'm 40,and Aquarian,born 2.12.71,mom to one grown son,and to 3 furbabies.I'm divorced,trying to work out my relationship with my boyfriend,I'm a House fanatic,hate reality shows,and love to draw and paint.I'm also rather shy.

DIABETES INFORMATION:
I was diagnosed about 2 months ago with Type 2.My doc called me a "mix of type 1 and 2",but officially I am a 2.Yeah,that confuses me too,but since I'm not on insulin at this point,I'll take it.=) I take 2000 mg of Metformin daily.I only found out after suffering with burning and tingling feet for over 2 years.I was scared,so I put it off,which now,for that goof,I have neuropathy.I'm still going thru testing for it though.I also have hyperthyroidism and an enlarged thyroid.I've heard this could have brought on my diabetes,but I'm also learning its in both sides of my family.

DIET / EXERCISE REGIMEN:
I'm about 5'6-5'7,240 lbs.I am wanting to lose 100 lbs at least,maybe 110. I am aiming for a year,hopefully less,but, we'll see.I am using the Lose It! site to monitor my calorie intake,and keep a written food diary as well. I've pretty well eliminated "white" foods,most sweets,and fast food gunk.I've lost a few pounds,but seems like I am at a plateau,and losing inches rather than pounds right now.I havent really developed an exercise program yet,due to the constant pain in my feet,its been an ongoing trial and error thing.I try to walk a little bit every day at the least,even at a turtle's pace.I've tried the Slim Fast diet,works til you go back to solid food,the cabbage soup diet-yuck,and just salads-got bored of that fast.

SPECIAL HOPES / ASPIRATIONS / ACHIEVMENTS:
I'd like to have my thinner body back,without diabetes.But since I have been diagnosed,my eating has changed for the better,and although I have the foot pain,my body feels healthier than its been in a long time.
bunnypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 02:05 PM   #62  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Hello Bunnypaws.

I just wanted to say hello. It will be nice to have another poster on the diabetes thread. I find this site to be really helpful. Ideas, accountability, and just having others who understand what you are going through.

Good for you on the changes that you have made so far!

I hope you enjoy hanging out with us.

Rie
Riemontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:44 AM   #63  

S/C/G: 205/193/140

Height: 5'5"

PERSONAL INFORMATION: My name is Kim. I am a 46 year old mother of 5, and married to the most supportive husband for 23 years. I am very home/family orientated, and homeschool our children. Not much of a TV person, but love to read, and have a wide range of books I read.

DIABETES INFORMATION: Was diagnosed with Type2 diabetes about 2 years ago, soon followed by high blood pressure and high cholesterol. have a family history, so it came as no surprise. Dutifully took the tons of medication prescribed, and tried to ignore my failing health, but the meds, and unhealthy life style was making me feel worse then before I was diagnosed. My quality of life was horrible. I was sick and tired of feeling sick and tired, and I finally decided to take control of my health. Educated myself, and stopped taking all meds except for blood pressure meds. I would not advise anyone to do this, but it was the path I chose in my frustration. Surprisingly I had my doc's support. I am now controlling my BS through exercise and diet alone better then when I was taking the metformin!

DIET / EXERCISE REGIMEN: I am 5'5" and weigh 193 as of this morning. When I started this journey in April of this year I was 205lbs, so that gives me a 12 lb loss so far. My goal weight is 140 lbs by Christmas. I exercise usually 5-6 days a week. 30-45 minutes of walking on the treadmill, and upper body strength training 3 days a week. I follow Dr. Bernstein's "diabetic diet" for both weight loss, and to control my BS.

SPECIAL HOPES / ASPIRATIONS / ACHIEVMENTS: I must say my family is my inspiration. I still have young children, and I was feeling so ill all the time all I wanted to do was lay on the couch. All I want to achieve is to have my life back, and it is happening. I have more energy, I feel 10 times better, and I am actually participating in life again.
I have no one to blame but myself for the years of unhealthy eating, and now I have chosen to take that control and decide how I am going to live. Every day I chose! I can have a piece of cake if I chose, but I chose not to. ;-)
Agape123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:21 PM   #64  

Hello Agape.

I didn't see your post right away so I am responding a couple days later. This is a great place for support and accountability. It sounds like you are already making great progress on controlling your blood sugar.

Feel free to join us on the diabetes june chat. There are some really good and knowledgeable people on there. Looking forward to reading your posts.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:26 PM   #65  
Sherianne

S/C/G: 207/198/140

Hello...my name is Sheri, and I've been here at 3FC before, but it has been a long time. I am feeling I need some support!
PERSONAL INFORMATION: I am a 57 year old mother of two amazing, grown boys who love their Mom and Dad. I am happily married to the man who has made my life a blessing. I teach high school English, and a slew of other electives, and programs in a very small school. To say that I am under stress and that I am overworked is an understatement, but I still love my job.

I am an avid gardener and have a big, crazy, wild garden that just keeps getting bigger. I especially like native plants, drought tolerant plants, butterfly and hummer gardening, and all sorts of veggies. I also enjoy travel, reading, hiking and home renovation; I have two that need it!
DIABETES INFORMATION: I was DX'd with type II two years ago, although, I had an idea for about a year that I might be sliding into it. I had myself tested, and, sure enough...Type II, first AIC was 7.9, fasting blood sugar was 119. I am on one tablet of Metformin, 500 mg. per day and have been experiencing very good control with my AIC's running between 5.6 and 6.4. I feel better than I have felt in years, and so I have probably been pre-diabetic for a long time. I still play around with denial though, and I am still at the anger part of the grieving process about having this disease. I had never expected getting old for me to include a chronic illness, but being overweight, what did I expect? Weight loss is a demoralizing battle for me that yo-yo's me emotionally and physically.
DIET / EXERCISE REGIMEN: I am 5'3 and have lost one pound, so now I weigh 203. I want to weigh 150 pounds by next summer. I hope to reward myself with a lifelong dream of a vacation in Provence, France...my avatar will stay as the sunflowers until I reach my goal. I have done every diet under the sun, but Adtkins has worked the best and been the easiest for me, so, I am going to go on a gentle Adtkins, counting carbs and eating lots of veggies. I wear down on Atdkins because of the carb restriction if I try to stay on induction too long. So a month maybe to jumpstart my weight loss is all I will do and then go on to about 15-20 carbs per meal. I am much better at weight loss if I intensify my exercise, so that is my plan...to really kick butt at exercise. Today I will take my little dog (welsh corgi named Gizmo) for the three mile walk loop.

SPECIAL HOPES / ASPIRATIONS / ACHIEVMENTS: Well, I said that I want to go to Provence...I just love all things French. I want to hike a 14'er in Colorado again (there are 54 mountains above 14,000 feet in Colorado), but I am worried about my diabetic feet and possible blisters and foot injuries. I don't know a lot about that yet. I want to move into a semi-retired job over the next few years. I am thinking about teaching online at the college level. And, I want to fit into, and stay in a size 8 sometime within the next couple of years!

I look forward to talking to all of you, and supporting you in your weight loss journey and as you work at conquering this disease, diabetes.
Sheri

Last edited by Quixotica; 06-29-2011 at 12:40 PM.
Quixotica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:06 AM   #66  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Wow, this is such a long thread....but here goes.

[
PERSONAL INFORMATION: Tell us about yourself, your family, your pets, your hobbies, your occupation, your most (and least) favourite books/movies/TV programs/music; – just about anything that helps us know the real ‘you’.

My name is Carol. I'm 65, married, 2 step-children and 1 grandson. I am down to 1 dog, after having had 5 dogs throughout my marriage. I retired in July 2010 and am basically enjoying doing whatever I want, but I'm fighting health problems right and left.

DIABETES INFORMATION: What Type; when diagnosed; what medications; any complications you’ve experienced.

I was diagnosed Type II in 2008 when hospitalized with heart bypass surgery. So I had to handle recovering from surgery and dealing with a disease I knew nothing about. I do not consider myself to be in control. Bread is my downfall. But I am working on it.

DIET / EXERCISE REGIMEN: Height/Weight Statistics. How much you hope to lose and in what timeframe. Formal or informal diet and exercise regimens. Things that work for you. Things you tried, that didn’t.

I am 5'3. Since my heart surgery I went from 217 to 197, maintaining, but not losing any more. After a recent surgery I lost an additional 15 lbs, bringing me to 182, the lowest I've been in years. Since the first of 2011 I have been exercising 5 hours a week faithfully. Treadmill and elliptical with some weight training thrown in here and there. I would like to eventually get off my diabetes and blood pressure meds. My blood pressure has dropped dramatically since my weight loss, but not enough to get off the meds completely. With this recent surgery, I have had to stop my exercising, but I do plan on getting back to it gradually.

SPECIAL HOPES / ASPIRATIONS / ACHIEVMENTS: Anything you’d like to share with the group.

As I mentioned before, I would like to someday get off my diabetes and blood pressure meds. I don't know how much weight I want to lose. I'm thinking 160 or 150 might be a good weight for me, but I want to go to whatever weight gets me off those meds. Also, I want to quit having these health problems. My grandson will be 3 in August. I would like to live long enough so that he will remember me. I think that probably would be when he's around 7-10 years old. So far I have already out-lived every member of my immediate family, so I'm on borrowed time, genetically. The best bet for me would be to follow the Dean Ornish diet, but I don't think I could ever be that regimented. I can just do the best I can, as we all know, we never know when our time will be up.

Carol

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 07-04-2011 at 09:11 AM.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:04 AM   #67  

Welcome slmn! This is a great group. Ease on over to the July chat and hang out with us!

Rie
Old 08-09-2011, 11:56 AM   #68  

S/C/G: 241/230/190

Height: 5'7"

PERSONAL INFORMATION: Tell us about yourself, your family, your pets, your hobbies, your occupation, your most (and least) favourite books/movies/TV programs/music; – just about anything that helps us know the real ‘you’. Hi! My name is Lynn, my hubby is Andy. Our pets are 3 wonderful Maine Coon kitties and a baby that the feral cat we feed gifted us with this spring, so as DH says, we have 3 1/4 cats! For 30+ years I was a travel agent, owned a large agency for 23 years until last year when I closed it down and moved my business home as a private concierge business that I tend to part time, I work fulltime as a personal/executive assistant to one of my former clients. Love it! No two days are ever the same!

DIABETES INFORMATION: What Type; when diagnosed; what medications; any complications you’ve experienced. I was diagnosed over 10 years ago as a borderline diabetic, I managed to keep it under control with diet for 7 years or so, then I fell off the wagon. It was a combination of medications to help my rheumatoid arthritis and stopping smoking. At any rate I packed on 50# and am now determined to get rid of it.

I take 1000mg glucophage twice daily and victoza once a day. In addition I take a lot of supplements: alpha lipoic acid sustain has helped with neuropathy, cinnamon, milk thistle, evening primrose oil....and many others.

DIET / EXERCISE REGIMEN: Height/Weight Statistics. How much you hope to lose and in what timeframe. Formal or informal diet and exercise regimens. Things that work for you. Things you tried, that didn’t. I was at 240, now at 230 and am 5'7" tall. It needs to be gone my November 1 for my boss' wedding! Hubby needs to lose about the same so we joined the Bariatric center here in town on August 1. they only weigh once per week, I had lost 10.5#! I know it is nearly all water but that's okay with me, it was encouraging! LOL! I'm back on my low carb program to get my sugar numbers back down.
SPECIAL HOPES / ASPIRATIONS / ACHIEVMENTS: Anything you’d like to share with the group. I/we just need to get healthy, the weight loss will be a side benefit!
LynnDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:58 PM   #69  

Welcome! I look forward to geting to know you!
Old 08-18-2011, 11:38 AM   #70  

S/C/G: 288/188/130

Height: 5" 5'

Personal Information: My name is Joyce and am I 39 years old. I have a son who is 13 and I live with my partner Gary, our 2 dogs, 4 cats and 2 rabbits in Barrow-in-Furness, England. I work in private education teaching teenagers with learning and behavioural difficulties which I love but its challenging.
Diabeties Information: I was diagnosed with type 2 5 years ago after losing 100 lbs. I have managed to keep the weight of for 6 years but I find it difficult to lose more now but I think it is the only way to take control of my illness. I have had problems with the medical proffesion. They don't seem to care about me and are more interested in prescribing more pills. I was on about 10 a day but I have stopped most of them. I just take 1000mg of Metformin now. My doctor keeps telling me how I will have to have my legs cut off, I will go blind and I will need a kidney and liver transplant. I believe there is another way. If I can control what I eat, I can control my blood sugars.
Diet and Exercise: I bought a cross trainer almost 3 weeks ago and I struggled to workout for even 5 minutes. Last night I did it for 35 minutes and I am aiming for 1 hour 6 times a week. I know I can do that. I have recently cut right back on all carbs and at the moment I am suffering with headaches and fatigue, I'm sure that will go in the next couple of days. I am already seeing my b.s. falling slowly.
Special Hopes: I want to lose another 50 lbs. I want to be free to live my life without worrying about when I will die, without every ache and pain making me wonder if I have pushed my luck too far and my illness has caught up with me.

Last edited by JingerBird; 08-18-2011 at 11:41 AM.
JingerBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:12 PM   #71  
You can DOOO IT!

S/C/G: 223/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'6"

Hi! I've been poking around for awhile so I suppose formal introductions are in order:
Personal Information- My name is Rebecca, and I'm 30 years old. I'm getting married in a few months and live with my fiance' and our puppy. I work as a trainer in adult education and enjoy cake decorating and travelling as hobbies. (I know i know, the sugar! Luckily I don't eat it, I work with it as an artform.)
Diabetes Information- Diagnosed at age 17 with type 2 with 9.7 A1C. Uncontrolled until I figured it out in my mid-20s. I take 1000 mg Metformin twice per day and would love to get that dosage lowered. Am also on lisinopril. Have lost 70 pounds. A1C is 6.8. Not perfect, but I'm looking for progress, not perfection. Hoping to have a healthy pregnancy in the next few years.
Diet and Exercise- Follow a low GI diet, and exercise 5 times per week for an hour. I love Zumba and pilates right now. The other days I walk/jog.
Special Hopes- As healthy and uncomplicated a pregnancy as possible in the next two years and to be healthy for my children and new hubby.
misstraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:58 AM   #72  

S/C/G: 150/125 (SW/GW)

Height: 5'5

Hi everybody!

PERSONAL INFORMATION:
I'm a 21 year old, who is currently studying her butt off for exams (five days till the first one. Yikes). Im doing a combined law/psychology degree in Australia, and the weather has just turned lovely. So its very difficult to be inside with the textbooks.

I really love to read. Give me a book instead of television anyday. (In fact, the only time when I watch tv is when I am around at my parents house). I know that this makes me sound pretty nerdy, but its just something which I grew up into. Im also a pretty sociable person, so my second favourite thing to do in the world is to sit down with friends over coffee. (Being at uni gives me time to enjoy these things regularly too - except for the four weeks of the year when we actually work. Obsessing a bit over this? Yes, I am)

DIABETES INFORMATION: I was diagnosed with T1DM when I was around twelve years old. It was on the day of the melbourne cup (the biggest horse race in Australia - we actually get a public holiday for it) and I picked the winning horse. Of course, I couldn't enjoy the prize (a big bag of lollies). Its carried on much the same ever since. I started pump therapy around 15, and aside from a brief period of teenage rebellion have been on it ever since. I am ashamed to say however that for a period of around 6 years (14 - 20) I did neglect my diabetes, coming up with some shocking HbA1Cs. However this past nine months I've really made an effort to get back on track, which I have done. Although, this has also entailed the weight gain (as to be expected).

DIET / EXERCISE REGIMEN: At the moment, I'm 5'5 and 150. (converting this is still a bit tricky for me, I use google all the time). I've managed to loose a bit in the past couple of months (down from about 160), but ideally want to be hanging around the 130 mark. I recently discovered how much I love exercise. I used to be very athletic when I was younger, but that eventually gave way to study. Getting back into it has been fun. I'm currently doing 30 DS, and have just started C25K as well. Good times ahead.
In terms of diet, I tend to eat (very) low carb. This is mostly personal choice, and the fact that I've been doing it for so long it is expected of me, but I do have a fear that if I suddenly dive into a bowl of pasta and have a slice of bread I'll gain 15 pounds overnight. Dramatic, but true. My one weakness: Milk coffee + Lindt 85% chocolate. I have it every day, but in very small quantity as my treat.

SPECIAL HOPES: I'd love to be able to lose those twenty or so pounds, and be able to do it while maintaining the diabetes control. I find that I can do one or another, but haven't ever been able to manage both as an adult.
dirtybluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:59 AM   #73  

S/C/G: 150/125 (SW/GW)

Height: 5'5

Oh - and I forgot to add down the bottom that I've been lurking on this forum for ages, and am very much looking forward to meeting everyone here officially!
dirtybluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:48 AM   #74  

S/C/G: 254

PERSONAL INFORMATION:
My name is Julz. I'm 39 years old. I live in California. I'm single and I have a chiweenie (half dachshund/half chihuahua) named Lucy. During my free time I enjoy photography, crafts, cooking, baking, and traveling. I work in the corporate world doing project manage work. It's not where I want to be but it's income and I'm employed. For that, I'm thankful. One of my favorite books is Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers. I have many others and I try to be an avid reader but sometimes life just gets too busy. Right now I'm reading a book called "The Zen of Eating". I love movies. Chick flicks are probably my favorite but I love a good adventure, mystery, drama, period flick, etc. Tivo is my friend and browsing the internet is quite enjoyable as well. I love to read other people's blogs (as well as write my own). Usually they are quite inspirational. I enjoy music, particularly pop, Christian, classical, Broadway. Pretty much enjoy every style except maybe head banging/heavy metal and rap.

DIABETES INFORMATION:
I have Type 2 Diabetes. I was diagnosed in Oct 2010. I've been pre-diabetic for years and out of my stubbornness and difficulty breaking bad habits I never lost enough weight and didn't listen to my doctors. I was in denial for about a year. This past fall I attended a Diabetes Education class at my doctor's office and that helped me come to terms better with the condition. I still get angry and sad that I have this diagnosis and sometimes remain in denial but I'm in a better mind frame than I was a year ago. I'm taking metformin. I was just changed over from Glipizide so I'm only taking it once a day right now but once I stop getting stomach aches from it I should take it twice a day. I haven't had any major complications other than thirst and peeing more often.

DIET / EXERCISE REGIMEN:
I'm about 253 right now on a 5'3" frame. My new year thought is to lose 50 pounds throughout the year. That's about 1 pound a week with a 2 lb leeway from Jan 1 to Dec 31, 2012. I think that's a healthy loss. I need to be really realistic with my weight loss because in the past my habits have been to give up if I don't see immediate results. It's a day at a time right now trying to change poor eating habits. I've tried commercial diets in the past but due to my own weaknesses I never succeeded at any of them. I've always gained weight when I did diet programs (rebellion?). What is wrong with me that I can't find success in weightless? Sometimes I wonder!

SPECIAL HOPES / ASPIRATIONS / ACHIEVMENTS:
I am hopeful to gain the courage to tell my family and friends that I am diabetic. In my mind, I am hesitant because I feel like there is a social stigma that goes with it. Though, I think that stigma is a result of having an overly critical mother (but that's another story). I'd like to be more athletic. Having run 3 half marathons about 6 years ago, I'd like to get back to a healthier me both physically and mentally so I can feel that good again. I'd like to fall in love again and get married. I'd love to be a mom but as I"m about to turn 40 this coming summer and now with diabetes I'm just not sure if I'm physically able. My biggest achievement in 2011 was doing a 365 photography project where I took a photo of my life everyday for one year. I'm really proud of myself for doing it. It's made me a healthier person and a better photographer.
julzchiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:41 PM   #75  
[url=http://www.3fatchick

S/C/G: 139/105

Height: 5'1

PERSONAL INFORMATION: Hello! My name is Kimberly and I am 30 years old,i have 2 beautiful girls and a supportive husband. I love all lifetime movies and twilight.

DIABETES INFORMATION: Gestational with both pregnancy's, Insulin with second. I also kept the diabetes after my second child. At this time I am diet controlled. I am allergic to artificial sweeteners so it makes dieting a little harder.

DIET / EXERCISE REGIMEN: Height/Weight Statistics. I weight 144 I am 5'1 with a small frame. My goal is to lose 30 pounds by June 2012. Since I start tomorrow the plan is 1200 cal diet with 100 gm carbs, exercising 4 times a week X 1 hour.

I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone!!
KimAnn23 is offline   Reply With Quote