Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 04:32 PM   #46  

You and I read the same article!!!! Thanks so much - I loved these and have missed them. Don't know why I thought it was Weight Watchers maybe just the WW connection
Old 01-05-2006, 04:06 PM   #47  

Just had to say that I mixed up Christine's Brownie Mix recipe, using half white, half whole wheat pastry flour, and Whey Low sugar. I tried the "No Pudge" method of mircowaving a single serving in a small bowl (2 tablespoons mix, 1 TBSP plain NF yogurt, a little vanilla), and didn't find it to be very chocolate tasting and quite cakelike as well. Any suggestions on improving the chocolate flavor (more cocoa?), or making more moist (more yogurt)? No Pudge is very good, but expensive, and I 'm a do-it-myself person. Thanks!

Last edited by kaleidoscope*sky; 01-05-2006 at 04:20 PM.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:37 PM   #48  

Height: 5 ft

Red face

Hi Wanda,

I found a similar recipe, and it had the points listed. Here it is:

20 oz can crushed pineapple in own juice
2 cups low-fat buttermilk
1 large pkg orange sugar free jello (orange is not my favorite, so my family and I substitute cherry or strawberry. They are all good.)
8 oz fat free cool whip

Place pineapple with juice in saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from
heat, add jello and stir until dissolved. Stir in buttermilk and let cool about
20 to 25 min. If you do not let it cool, the cool whip will melt. Fold in cool
whip. Do not stir too much, only until blended well. Pour into a 9 x 13 glass
dish and chill until firm. Cut into 12 squares.

serving size = 1 square

recipe source:dottisweightlosszone.com
Old 01-27-2006, 01:43 PM   #49  

I've never used Whey Low- I don't even like using Splenda much in baking (and I refuse to use NutriSweet, sacarin, and other 'chemical' sweeteners in baking because some of them change chemically with heat). I have used dry whey powder (Bob's Red Mill- extra sweet grade) to substitute for part of the surgar in some recipes- you can even use powdered milk that way (process it so it powder-like first so it dissolves easier). You can usually replace up to 1/3 the white sugar, depending on the function of the sugar in the recipe of course. You may need some real sugar or add in some fat- looking at the bakegood recipes I found using WheyLow, they all seemed to have normal amounts of fat. Also, when you substitute whole wheat flour, its not 1 cup=1cup...its more 1 cup all purpose flour= 1 cup- 1Tablespoon whole wheat flour...and usually never more then 1/2 of the total amount of all purpose flour should be substituted.

As for getting a chewy, brownie-like- instead of more cake like- make sure you aren't overmixing...which can be easy to do with only making one serving at a time. Also, remember that it will continue to bake when you remove it from the oven- regular or microwave- so take it out before its completely done and let it sit to finish off. Another thing you might want to try is substituting some of the flour with oat flour. You can make oat flour by processing oatmeal (old fashion or quick cook) in a food processor until its flour-like. I use it a lot of my baking to add texture, moisture & demension to the overall taste. I process up 5-6 pounds at a time and just keep it on hand. You can also go the extra step to toast the oats in the oven first to give the oats a more nutty flavor to your bakegoods without the extra calories & fat that real nuts can add. Also, if you do want to add nuts to low fat/low cal bakegoods, I find I get more flavor if I toast them first and then chop them fairly small and sprinkle ontop of the bakegoods before baking. Occasionaly I might add a couple tablespoons finely chopped to the batter for something like banana nut bread type stuff.

You can easily add more cocoa powder to the brownies- the strength will varry from manufacture to manufacture and even batch to batch. I usually buy the Hersey's cocoa powder for general baking, though it is nice to get some of the top quality ones if you can. It is so hard for me- a life-time chocoholic- to admitt I can't eat chocolate anymore. I still love it psychologically, but my tummy just doesn't tolerate it any more and lets me know when I over do it. I would love to play around with some of the new ideas I have for the brownies and some other chocolate recipes I have, but its so hard when I can't taste them personally...and my family gets tired of being ginea pigs after a couple batches.

One of the hardest things with using yogurt in baking is the difference in consistancey/water from brand to brand. I buy the fat free, no sugar added, plain yogurt at WalMart. It tends to be drier then other brands I've used- it happens to the be the cheapest and one of the few I can have allergy-wise. I know if I freeze it, it will be more watery and I will sometime pour the water/whey off before adding it in or if the recipe has other liquid ingrediants, I'll cut back on some of the others slightly. The yogurt you use may be a lot more watery, so you might try a little less next time; which would also make it less cake like.

Hope this helps...
Closed Thread