Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 03-10-2011, 01:35 PM   #61  

S/C/G: 146/146/125

Height: 5'3.5"

Default Motivation buddies? Seeking sarcasm and good health.

In an effort to keep this thread current, I'm posting here.

Okay, I'm looking for some exercising motivators. Any takers? Even if it amounts to 15 minutes of stretching, I'd be happy to someone's penpal/motivation buddy/accountability liason/whatever. Daily or weekly basis.

Quick intro: I've had chronic depression for many yrs, but have mainly managed w/ exercise. Since birth of my daughter's it's been harder to find time. And postnatal brought on weird anxiety issues, so I'm managing my depression and health w/ combination of Sertraline (Zoloft), low carb diet, and exercise. I'm feeling pretty good, but completely slipped this month on exercise because my entire family came down with awful bouts of flu. I'm still sick, but not sick enough that I couldn't manage some walking, yoga, stretching, anything. I'm just lacking a kick in the a$$.

Anyone want to join me in periodic check-ins? Smooth the butt-prints off the sofa?
whiningawayxz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:48 PM   #62  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiningawayxz View Post
In an effort to keep this thread current, I'm posting here.

Okay, I'm looking for some exercising motivators. Any takers? Even if it amounts to 15 minutes of stretching, I'd be happy to someone's penpal/motivation buddy/accountability liason/whatever. Daily or weekly basis.

Quick intro: I've had chronic depression for many yrs, but have mainly managed w/ exercise. Since birth of my daughter's it's been harder to find time. And postnatal brought on weird anxiety issues, so I'm managing my depression and health w/ combination of Sertraline (Zoloft), low carb diet, and exercise. I'm feeling pretty good, but completely slipped this month on exercise because my entire family came down with awful bouts of flu. I'm still sick, but not sick enough that I couldn't manage some walking, yoga, stretching, anything. I'm just lacking a kick in the a$$.

Anyone want to join me in periodic check-ins? Smooth the butt-prints off the sofa?
WELCOME !!!!! I would suggest posting on the monthly thread below.. it will get noticed faster.

Good luck
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 04:49 PM   #63  

S/C/G: 170/143/125

Height: 5'4"

Ha, I definitely need to get the butt prints out of this office chair and the couch! I know exercising helps with my depression and boosts my energy levels but I am struggling to get regular with it again. I'll PM you with my e-mail if you want to do check-ins =)
iriswhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:12 PM   #64  
ShrinkingHottie

S/C/G: 250.6/See success slider!!/137

Height: 5'2"

Off to the gym!
JDTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 12:59 PM   #65  

S/C/G: 146/146/125

Height: 5'3.5"

@ Iris: Fantastic! Please do. Butt-print removal task force.

@ JDTH: Go go go!

I stretched last night so it's a tiptoe towards getting back in the saddle. Funny how it's so easy once you just do it, but until you actually get on the treadmill etc, you can put it off and off.
whiningawayxz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 02:16 PM   #66  

Whiningaway, yey for stretching! So true that it's easy once you get started but soooo hard to start. Don't know if you got the PM or not... I can try again if not.

Plan for tonight is a walk/jog downtown with my BF - I better follow through. It would be waaaaay too easy to talk him into watching a movie instead!
Old 03-15-2011, 02:07 PM   #67  

S/C/G: 234/169/145

Height: 5"5

I have been on meds for almost five years. When I first began taking them is when I gained the majority of my weight. The hardest part was not even realizing the gain until one day when it was a total of 100 pounds. I know exercise has helped from previous experience but have trouble with motivation right now. I joined a gym and keep my clothes in the car to be always ready to go and even joined with a friend. (i know it does NOT help that we call ourselves Team Unmotivated, but its how we feel!) Can i have some motivation from you guys?? It's my first day!
BlackFleur145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:56 PM   #68  

Hi BlackFleur! That's great that you have a gym buddy (your "team" name makes me giggle). Hope your first day at the gym was a success! I am also struggling to start exercising again - definitely remember how good it felt but I am a total expert at making excuses these days.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:59 AM   #69  

Hello. I just read over all your advice and with my overweightness and depression , this gives me new hope! Thanks!
Blackfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:30 AM   #70  

Default What is Yoga and Pranayama? – Beginners Lesson

Yoga is the most commonly used term to represent difficult postures or meditation. However the meaning of Yoga is different, Yoga literally means to bind or to attach or simply union. Yoga is one of the six orthodox systems of Indian Philisophy. It was first taught by Shiva (who is often called as the Adi Yogi or the first yogi) some 40,000 years before and it was later co-ordinated and systematized by Patanjali in the book yoga sutras. In the Indian thought, everything is permeated by a supreme universal spirit (paramatma or God) and individual human spirit ( jivatma) is a part of it. Realizing and experiencing this union of paramatma and Jivatma is Yoga in simple terms.

To attain this level, the body and mind should be prepared and Yoga asanas (or the postures) is a tool to raise our body and mind to that standard. The health benefits and the curing ability of Yogasanas are just a byproduct of this process and not the aim of this process. One can literally cure any ailment in the body through yoga asanas, but yogasana should not be done aiming for just physical benefit. The asanas which is commonly misinterpreted as Yoga is actualy the third stage of Yoga.

The 8 stages of Yoga

1) Yama (Universal Moral Values)

2) Niyama (Self Purification by discipline)

3) Asanana (The postures)

4) Pranayama (Rhytmic control of breathings): This should not be practiced before mastering the basic yogasanas.

5) Prathyahara (Withdrawal of mind from senses)

6) Dharana (concentration)

7) Dhyana (meditation)

8. Samadhi ( a state of super-consciousness where the union with paramatma happens)

So before even starting Yogasanas one should practice Yama and Niyama and bring in control of mind, senses and body. The biggest aid to achieve this is through change in food and lifestyle. It is always advisable to have Sattvic Food.

Staying Slim and healthy is not a gift, that is the way we were all created, but unfortunately due to bad habits and poor lifestyle people became obese. Yoga and pranayama helps in weight loss, but that is just a byproduct and not the purpose of doing yoga. We will publish a series of yoga articles to help people stay healthy and slim.

Related Search Terms: Benefits of Yoga and Pranayama, Difference Between Yoga and Pranayama, Yoga and Pranayama, Yoga Asanas to Reduce Weight, Yoga Asanas for Weight Loss, Yogasanas
luckynans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 12:37 AM   #71  

I know it is quit uneasy to do workout in depression, It is harmful for your body and mind also. Its better to take precaution while facing depression problems in your life.
dylan6randolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:53 PM   #72  

S/C/G: 191/185/145

Height: 5'5"

I'm bipolar II and spend most of my time in the depressed state and rarely have any hypomania. Hypomania is not full blown mania, that's why it's bipolar II. Anyway, since they put me on my medication I stay mostly in the not necessarily depressed state, but down...calm and really tired. I take a mood stabilizer and an antidepressant and subsequently also since I turned 40 I've steadily gained weight every year. I was 130's and now up to 185pds. I'm just wondering because of the medication if exercise or diet will ever truly help or if I will ever get over this exhaustion I feel all the time.
kandyrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:54 PM   #73  

S/C/G: 191/185/145

Height: 5'5"

I'm1 cup coconut milk or 1 cup almond

milk, hemp milk, or rice milk

1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder

1 cup frozen (unsweetened) or fresh strawberries

Blend all ingredients together.
kandyrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:43 PM   #74  

S/C/G: 273/173/150

I take Cymbalta and Lamictal. Cymbalta is pretty expensive if you don't have insurance though. I have been taking them since 2007 and they seem to help. I also take Trazedone to help me sleep. I am pretty heavy but I am blessed to still be able to work full time. I have suffered from depression most of my life. I think if I could wake up feeling good every morning I could be consistant with this weight loss journey. I have battled it for so long; I could write a book. I bet there are a lot of you out there that could say the same thing.
eightiesbabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:56 PM   #75  

S/C/G: 273/173/150

I also wanted to add that along with severe depression I suffer with some pretty limiting social anxiety that prevents me from exercising or otherwise doing any activity in public that might bring on an anxiety attack. I can't even exercise with my family around. I try to be as physical as possible. I am a nurse so I am pretty active at work but my daily workouts are limited to Richard Simmons (my man!!) tapes when my daughter is in school (she goes to college) and when my husband is out of town (he works out of state so he is gone for 30-45 days at a time). It is hard especially when my daughter is home from college on break and my husband is home but its how I have to work around things.
eightiesbabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote