Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2002, 10:55 AM   #31  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

GOOD MORNING!!!

Leens-I feel the same way about my hubby, I just appreciate and love him more all the time!! And sometimes I still get goosebumps just looking at him!!!! Our boys are 15 and 12, so we are past the baby stage, but those are great times!! It is amazing how fast they have grown up. It feels like they were little just yesterday!!! Teens can be difficult, but there are nice things about this stage too. I'm proud of the people that they are growing up to be!!! I'm kind of a homebody too. Sometimes a little too much. When my depression manifests itself I don't like to leave the house!!!

Ellis-Hope that things start to get better for you!! I know they will, but THE SOONER THE BETTER!!!!!

I'll try to check in later!!
Old 04-22-2002, 04:19 PM   #32  

Height: 5'-2"

Hi Dentrassi and Leens! Thank you for your kind words... you are two of the most nurturing people I know.

Den, you've got it right about the kids... anyone else I might tell to bugger off, but the guilt... I've been trying to keep my six-year old away from the tv lately. When our daughter was little, we only allowed her to watch one rented movie per week and no TV. Somehow, with the second child, this ideal just didn't continue. I let him watch a little more than I should today, but I figured it was either that or my sanity.

Are YOU able to have a long bath with a book? I used to try it... I'd get all my special bath stuff together plus my book etc... then, just as I'd start to relax in the tub: a) someone would bang on the door, b) I'd hear a scream coming from the first floor (while I'm on the third), c) someone would start choking outside the bathroom door, or d) someone would start throwing up outside the bathroom door.
Now, I'm in and out of that bath so fast... Oh, and I've tried having a bath when everyone is out of the house, but either the phone rings (a sure indicator that someone is dead) or I think someone is breaking in...

21 years! That's wonderful! And Leens, 12 years... good for you! We'll have been married 14 years on August 6th. And yes, it's better now than it's ever been for me, too.
I don't think that most people have EVER married "for the long run". The marriages that "seemed" to last were often unions from ****. I think that the three of us are simply blessed. (and perhaps we work a little harder at it, too. )
I always think that, even if I lost my husband tomorrow (by natural death or by murder if he ever cheats on me ), I'll still be grateful for the time I've had with him. He's been so good for me, and I hope I've been good for him.

Leens, I'm so glad that the Zoloft is working for you. And I know exactly what you looked like in your mom's jacket. I've been there, too. In fact, most of my own coats no longer fasten in the front... I'm just too fat.

Oh, listen girls... it's snowing. I mean, if that's not enough to put you right over the edge, I don't know what is.

I've got to run and stir my dinner... it's one of the most disgusting concoctions I've ever seen. I may throw it out and fire up the BBQ.

I hope you're both well... as well as can be expected LIFE IS GOOD!!
take care... ellis
Old 04-23-2002, 06:05 PM   #33  

HI ELLIS AND LEENS (AND ANYONE ELSE WHO CARES TO JOIN US!!!)

Ellis-Okay, I admit, it is easier to get those long baths with older kids. 6 year olds are more demanding!! Would your hubby be willing to deal with anything that comes up so you can take that soak? Sometimes I have to run interference when hubby is correcting papers, but sometimes I'll ask him to do the same so that I can rest, read, bathe, etc. MY main problem these days is trying to make sure there is enough hot water left after the 15 year old is through!!! He is becoming a clean freak!!! I shouldn't complain though, beats the days when he didn't want to get wet!!!

Re hubby-I told him if I died first, he should try to find someone else, but that if he did it TOO fast, I'd haunt him!!!!!!!!!! (NO GIRLFRIENDS AT MY FUNERAL!!!!!!!!!!) I also gave him some really lewd instructions about how to deal with my remains, but I don't want to get kicked off here!!

Leens-I've been kind of scatter brained sometimes lately too!! Now that I am a "senior member" I was thinking of changing that to say, "SENIOR MOMENT", but I'm afraid someone will take it the wrong way!!!
Old 04-24-2002, 11:37 AM   #34  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hi Girlies,

At work and the boss is here so I have no time to play

I just wanted to pop in and say HI !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll catch up tomorrow when she's gone

Love, Leens
Old 04-24-2002, 03:33 PM   #35  

Hi Den and Leens

Den, why don't you call yourself, "Large Member"... oh geez, that's not what I meant... I didn't mean "fat", I meant... you know... a large MEMBER. How rude of me.
Yes, my husband and I do "trade offs" for time away from the kids, too. He's VERY good to me. I think that the problem with baths is, I start to fall asleep, and all I really want to do is get into bed with my book and fall asleep.

Leens, may we ask what you do? I mean work-wise. Obviously with your boss breathing down your neck, you're not working for the government. In THIS government town, the gov employees do ummm, dick all.
How's your little darling?

Den, we want to know what your husband's going to do with your remains. You can't leave us hanging like that!!
I've got explicit instructions, too, but they're not "dirty". I'm to be buried with all of my favourite books plus a large bag of Doritoes and a bag of Bridge Mixture. And a dictionary, just in case.

Listen, I'm having night sweats... does that mean I'm starting menopause?

My husband and I have got an appointment this evening with a new potential councellor for our daughter. I've got to go and make myself look like a "normal person". Is there such a thing?

Take care, girls... talk soon...ellis
Old 04-24-2002, 11:35 PM   #36  

Ellis- HOW RUDE!!!! Hubby doesn't want me to tell, and since today is his birthday, I won't. It kind of upset him actually. I have a very sick sense of humor, and am probably the only person who has TRULY ever grossed him out. (Except when he is eating. He has a very delicate stomach!! I can eat through ANYTHING!!!)

Night sweats may mean menopause, but according to my doctor you can have up to 10 years of "symptoms" before your period actually stops.

I don't believe that there is such a thing as a normal person!!! At least I've never met any!!! Okay, maybe one or two, but they were BORING!!!!! Hope the new counselor works out. Your love and support of your daughter (and the rest of your family) is the important thing, and I know that will be obvious!!!

Leens-Hope you get to post tomorrow!!! We want to hear all the news!!!
Old 04-25-2002, 08:19 AM   #37  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Good Morning Kids !!

The boss lady is gone for most of the am yeahhhhhhhhh!!!! Ellis I work for a HUGE pharmaceutical company in New York State. I work in Research & Development.... where they create/ find/ discover new compounds (medications) .....I keep telling them to use me as a guinea pig and find a fat reducing pill but they wont .... Its a stressful job but its a good job and I'm happy here its just they are always bring food and its sooooo tough to resist

We are picking up our new car tonight, its a loooooong story but I wanted either a toyota or honda (for reliable reasons and I travel far to work) but men can be @ss's, so I gave in and we got a Chrysler town & country....dont' get me wrong its a beautiful car its just that I've had a chrysler and it was a big piece of poop, fell apart every time I started it..........okay enuf said.

What do you two ladies do ? and what are your real names if you don't mind me asking. Mines Eileen.

I'll be chatting with you's later, have a GREAT DAY !!!
Love, Leens
Old 04-25-2002, 08:57 AM   #38  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Den, YOU have a sick sense of humor.........girl you sound just like me, life is to short not to laugh and be silly....thats my motto.

Love, Leens
Old 04-25-2002, 09:28 AM   #39  

good morning girls!

You know, I'm convinced that there's some weirdo out there who will "find me" if I reveal my name. I'll tell you what... I'll email you my name.
Your job sounds great, Leens. It's nice to be doing something that you enjoy. Listen, if they find a diet pill, Den and I want some free samples.
What do I do? I stay at home with my lovely children. I studied architecture and design, but that was LONG ago. I also had my own small business making herbal soaps, etc. Now, I am simply a lady of leisure (yeah, right!), and finally have enough self-confidence to feel good about staying home. (go figure) I suppose in a few years I'll go back to school, but right now my husband and I are perfectly content with our lifestyle. (poor, but happy)
Also, we have a separate apartment in our big city house... my sister rents it from us now, but she's moving soon to her own house. I'm going to do some renovations on it, double the rent, and become.... a landlady!

A "town and country"?!?! Wow! Is it second hand or new? Very fancy. I just want a BMW. Is it too much to ask?
At least you'll be "safe" in your big car. When we lived in the country, my husband used to drive an hour to work and back every day. I was convinced he was going to be killed on the highway in our little Suzuki... I hated it.

Den, how's YOUR car hunting going?
10 years before my period stops!! Are you serious?!?! Curses. My mother had my sister at the age of 41. She never had another period afterwards. I'm hoping I'll go the same way. I was looking at the symptoms of menopause on the internet. As I already suffer from chronic depression, I've pretty much got all the symptoms.

So, the new counceller was much better than the first. Although he was rather weird, too. Are they all like that? I think he'd been injured in Vietnam. He moved very gingerly and talked very slowly. He does have a game plan for us though... something decidedly lacking in the session with the psychiatrist. Psychiatrists are fairly useless, aren't they.?
And you're right, I've met a few "normal" people, too... they are incredibly boring. We are most definitely NOT normal!

Wish your husband happy birthday from us fatties. I hope you're feeling better today, Den. Don't bash yourself... you're only human. Take some time for yourself and relax. Nothing is so important that you need get ill over it.

talk to you later, girls... ellis
Old 04-25-2002, 06:55 PM   #40  

HI!!! Finally getting on here!! I've been running around all day, and decided SCREW THE DISHES, I'm gonna post first!!!

Leens-I make silver and copper jewelry. I can set my own hours (I work with a friend), which is great in terms of picking up the kids after school etc. Only problem-sometimes when the depression sets in it is hard for me to leave the house, and there is only so much I can do here. The propane torch and other equipment is all over at my friend's house. We have had a lot of orders lately, and I am BEHIND!!! Now that Hubby is finishing up Winter term, he will be able to run errands more and I will work more. As a matter of fact, I will be the main earner for the family until end of August. AND THAT IS PATHETIC!!!!!!!!!!! At least our medical is paid up until then, so it may be rice and beans, but we'll be healthy!!! I stayed home with the kids for a long time too. I didn't start doing the jewelry until I turned 40!!!

Ellis-Are they all that way? You know how crazed I am. Before they retired my Dad was a psychologist and my Mom was a Social Worker!!!! When I was thinking of going into mental health for a career, my father said, "You have to be crazy to go into mental health." So judge for yourself

I think 10 years is more like the maximum. You probably should judge more by the women in your family. Problem is, which one(s)?

I agree with you about psychiatrists. I have to see one to get the meds, but it is pretty much like, "Shut up, give me the script and let me go talk to my therapist." I REALLY hope that this new person works out. If your DD feels she has someone to talk to besides the family that is one extra safety net!!! I am SO glad that my DS feels so safe with his therapist!!!

OH!! My name is Billie Jean.....NOT!!!! okay, it is Karen. One of the most BORING names there is!!!!
Old 04-26-2002, 09:35 AM   #41  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Morning Girls,

You know the both of you have nice names and you both think they are boring......well I'd rather have your names then some of the ones people are creating these days...some of them are just plain stupid

Nothing new here. We picked up the new van yesterday, boy is it nice, rides like a dream, I just hope it lasts its the town & country by chrysler. I'm sick over how much money they are...but life goes on uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. lol. I just thank GOD and I do, that we can swing this.

Its FRIDAY YEAAAAAAAAAAAA I can't wait to see my little girl, boy do I miss her during the day so the weekends I smother her with kisses She's funny, I kiss her so much she just looks at me like

TTYL, Have a good one.
Love, Leens
Old 04-26-2002, 01:19 PM   #42  

hey darlings...

Just got back from another doctor's appointment with my daughter. I am drained. Limp as a rag. I'm going to eat something, and if anyone tries to stop me, I will kill them.

You think those are nice names, Leens? Sorry, Karen... my sympathies. I haven't heard that name in years. We're obviously from the same era. It's perfectly fine, it just doesn't suit you.
And Leens... you should hear the names of my children... they're both weird. I wanted to make up for my own boring name.
Enjoy your weekend with your darling daughter and your new van!

Oh, Den... pyschologists and social workers are great! It's the psychiatrists that are wacko. (don't tell me... your brother is a psychiatrist...)
My husband is a darned good social worker. (hmmm, then why is my family "disfunctional"? ) Social workers pretty much subsist on rice and beans.
Den, how long have you suffered from depression?
Leens?

gotta go... my low-fat dip and chips anxiously awaits me.

take care... talk soon...
Den, good luck getting your orders filled. Don't stress out!
Old 04-26-2002, 08:38 PM   #43  

HIYA!!!!!

Ellis-NOPE!! No psychiatrists in the family. I think I have suffered with depression since I was a teenager, but it wasn't until DS #2 started first grade that I finally went for some help. It has not been constant for me, but it got to the point that even my highs were muted, if you know what I mean. I waited so long that I believe I hard-wired my brain at a more depressed level. THAT is another good reason for dealing with what is going on with your daughter (and my son) NOW. Maybe they will be healthier than us by the time they are our ages!!!

Leens-I know what you mean about the weekend. I'm glad it is here too. Hubby has to finish up grades for two classes by Tuesday, but that actually represents a DROP in work load!! After that he only has one class (at a different college) which runs until May 9. Hopefully he'll pick up something for spring term, but he will be around more so it will take pressure off of me. 'Cause I need to WORK!!!

Hope you two ( and any lurkers) have a FANTASTIC weekend!! I'm sure I'll be checking in tomorrow or Sunday!!!
Old 04-27-2002, 07:28 AM   #44  

just a quickie, girls

We're having dinner guests this evening, and my house looks like a dumpster. Gotta do a major overhaul (read: throw everything loose into closets, down in the basement, under beds. Wax in the corners so the house smells clean....).

And my face... geepers, you should see my face... took my daughter to see our family physician for the first time yesterday (since the "episode") and he was soooo good. He's setting up an appointment with a really good female phychologist. He was the first person to seem REALLY concerned. I'm sure it helps that he knows my background, too.
Anyhow, I spent the remainder of yesterday crying with sheer relief. My face looks like a marshmallow. It's about twice it's usual (chubby) size, and it looks like I'm wearing tea bags under my eyes. Think I'd better get out some egg white and do a "tightening job" before our guests arrive.

I should be back tomorrow... I'll reply to you both then.

take care, dears... ellis
Old 04-27-2002, 10:47 AM   #45  

HEY !!!

Ellis-Glad to hear about the doctor's visit. I didn't really realize that you weren't being taken seriously. Been there too!! You feel like, am I crazy or what? With my son it seemed like everyone told me not to worry, and then when I finally calmed down, they all told me to worry!! (But about things that were NOT an issue!!) I think finding the right person is 9/10ths of the battle, and I hope this psychologist works out. I would think that your daughter might feel more comfortable talking to a Woman too. I specifically asked for a male therapist, since I thought that would work better for my son. (And I am driving 45 minutes one way in order to get him to who he sees!!)

By the way, your housecleaning technique sounds a lot like mine!!! Hope you have fun tonight!!

Leens-Hope your weekend is going well!!
Closed Thread