Old 02-19-2005, 03:25 PM   #151  
~In my own little world~

Lisa-I got on here specifically to check in on you. I am getting pretty nervous. Well I was pretty nervous the other day. Now I'm just cranky and a little overwhelmed. I know I'm ready to get this behind me. I am so glad you are feeling good. And since you had what I am to have, I think it's just blue skies and sunshine when it's all over with. I may PM you later tonight. I think I have all my bases covered but there might be a few questions yet. LOL!! I'm fuzzy headed now. So who knows how I'll be in a few days. Just really glad you came through things so well. I was sure thinking about you and still am

Everyone else, keep on keeping on. I can't wait for weigh in tomorrow. I just know that scale is loving me this week. Hee Hee...

Have a great day.
ChickNextDoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 03:44 PM   #152  
FullTime Domestic Goddess

Chick - I think I know how you feel. I was feeling so overwhelmed before the surgery...and I was quite weepy!! I kept telling myself that I was doing the surgery so that I could get my life back..so that I could feel good again. And, if you are like me..I know you are worried about having 3 little ones to worry about while you are down. Is yours next Tuesday?? I want you to know that I am praying for you. I know you will be just fine . Nobody wants surgery, and yet nobody wants to live with pain, etc...all the things that make us miserable. If you want, I will give you my IM address, and you can IM me. take care!
lisa girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 03:50 PM   #153  
Onward and downward!

Talking Weigh-in Day.

:

Sunday morning, and I decided to weigh-in today instead of Tuesday. #2 down

Lisa - So glad to hear your surgery is over and you are OK. Rest plenty chickie.

Chick - Thinking of you.

Have a great day everyone.
Lucia-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 04:24 PM   #154  
motomom

S/C/G: 199/182/164

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucia-1
[SIZE=2][FONT=Comic Sans MS] :

Sunday morning, and I decided to weigh-in today instead of Tuesday. #2 down
Lucia...do you realize you have lost almost another 10# this month???? I am soooooo proud of you...and a bit jealous!!! I want to lose...please tell us what you are doing? Counting calories? Cutting out carbs? I just need to do something!!! I am sooo happy for you! And you ought to be so proud of yourself!

Hugs!
Julie
hikein2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 05:06 PM   #155  
~In my own little world~

Surgery is Monday. And yeah, it's the littles that have me most concerned I guess. I had my tubes tied so I'm not stressed over the having any more kids/not feeling like a woman thing. I guess it's just that I am the one that takes care of everyone. I hate depending on others. I'm going to have plenty of help when I get home so that's not an issue really I just like to do my own thing. I'm always on the go and I won't be. LOL! That's really not a bad thing though is it? We are on our way out so I may PM you later. Thanks for all the well wishes. And thanks everyone else too.

Lucia- 10 pounds?? You are sooooo my hero. Way to go! Just think how great you look and feel. I'm so freakin proud of you.
Old 02-19-2005, 08:00 PM   #156  
Onward and downward!

Talking

Hi,

Julie - for the wonderful compliment. I am rather pleased with myself . I have been counting calories since my first visit to the nutritionist. It was her feeling that following the WW points system meant I was undereating. She recommended I eat between 1400-1500 calories per day, and aim to burn 250-350 calories per day in exercise. This is what I have been doing, I guess for close to a month now, and the scales have been moving down at a steady rate ever since.

The other major change is that I have been doing at least 40 minutes cardio at least 5 times a week, this is either walking outdoors, WATP or my own version of step aerobics. I probably overeat in the carb department, but I eat as many complex carbs as possible - not white flour, rice, pasta - only wholemeal/grain, and lots of fresh fruit. I feel food is finally my friend, I am starting to look at the nutrients and energy it can provide me with. Also, I am feeling on top of the world!

Chick - Thankyou also for the wonderful compliment, and once again, my thoughts are with you as you prepare for your surgery.
Old 02-19-2005, 08:31 PM   #157  

Hello all!

Weigh in day......I think I am the same as last week (reminder: before buying a scale, always put it on the floor to check if you can actually SEE those itty bitty numbers). No big deal.....seems like I was only partially on plan this week (mentally and physically), but next week will be different. I just know it.

Julie.....Great job on the workout! That should take care of any misjudgments at the church supper! Planning a week's menus? Egad.....that is something I have never done! I am making a grocery list as we speak, so will try to think ahead.......probably should take a look at the new USDA nutrition/dietary guidelines for assistance!

Lisa......It is so good to hear from you and to hear that you are doing so well. Get your rest.....let your body heal....you will be back in step in no time!

Lucia.......down 2 pounds? AGAIN? You have got to share your program with us......please?

ChickNextDoor......Chin up, chickie! There is nothing you can't do! Remember......the loss of your independence is only temporary. And besides, all those caregivers probably want to repay you for all your past kindnesses......let them.....it will do you both good! Will say a special prayer for you Monday.......

OK.....now I need some recommendations from my chickies. My exercise program.....and I can't say that without laughing .... consists of 15-20 minutes max of VERY low impact aerobics. When I started, I had to start slow or risk the chance of hurting myself, pulling muscles,etc......which would lead to not exercising. I now feel it is time to kick it up a notch. So....what is next? Could you recommend any tapes or DVDs that ease me into the next level? Or maybe a tv exercise program that I could tape? Exercise has always been my biggest problem, so I think a little variety would help in the motivation department. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by MsRD; 02-19-2005 at 08:36 PM.
MsRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 08:54 PM   #158  
motomom

Default MsRD & Exercise!

Alright chickie...take it slow if you think you might still risk the chance of hurting yourself! I will preface this with telling you that these are only my suggesstions and I certainly am not a fitness expert...that would be some other folks on this group. I only know what I have read and what works (and won't work if I don't do it) for me!

My first suggestion is to find one of the WATP with Leslie Sansone tapes. She's got all levels of walking tapes and like she says "you don't have to know all the steps, just keep moving" during the video! The one I have has a 20 minute version (one mile) or you can go up to 4 miles. She does them in increments according to your level of fitness! Check into them...they are available on Ebay, too. If you want more info, PM Jennifer...she's go the lo-down on videos.

I think just fast walking is great for you and does burn calories! Do you have a treadmill? Up the speed, incline...anything that will make you sweat more and get your heart rate up more! Either that or increase the amount of time you do your workout if you don't think you can increase the heartrate just yet! Any movement is better than none at all!

Also, read that article I posted today. It has some very helpful information...like making sure you are doing some muscle building/toning along with your aerobic workout. This will help to increase your metabolism and help you, in the long run, to burn calories and lose fat! Yea! That's our goal, isn't it?

Hope this helped. Also, there are probably links on 3FC site somewhere talking about exercise and optimum performance...

Good Luck! And really...planning a week's meals is nothing more than taking the time to do it. It's not hard...just a little time consuming! (I should take my own advice...I didn't get mine done yet for this weekend!)

Hugs!
Old 02-20-2005, 12:10 AM   #159  
Pending Email Confirmation

Hey everyone How's the weekend going?

So far so good for me.... here's what I've been up to...

Food
Oatmeal/yoghurt (3)
Bran bar (2)
Butternut squash soup (1)
homemade rueben style sandwich (8)
chilli w/cheese & salad (3)
squash --
taco chips - 10 (2)

We went for our long walk today - 14.2 k (8.875 miles) - it took us three hours. I was trying to speed up my walking - and those of you who do WATP will recognize my silent mantra - "walk walk power walk... walk walk power walk".... kept me moving.. and kept away the "committee meeting" that sometimes tells me it's too tough for me etc....

I think my water is at about 64 oz for the day...
So it was (and is) all good today.

Lucia - Good for you - way to go with the 2# loss this week and 10# loss this past month.

Hikein - Thanks for the kind words... I am trying to keep on track - sometimes have some "WOWs" in the rough tho.... The Coleslawmein or what DH calls hot & cold chinese food is made by taking a bag of pre-made coleslaw (the old fashioned kind) adding a bunch of chopped onions, about a cup of bean sprouts, a chopped bell pepper or two, extra grated carrot makes it yummy, medium course grated fresh ginger (a piece about 2"x4" peeled), a shake or two of dried hot chilli peppers and some nuts - I like cashews but we've also put in salad sensation in a pinch. You can either add the chow mein noodles uncooked just before serving (if you like it crunchy) or cook the chow mein noodles in boiling water for one minute (if you like it hot). We usually have it with stir fried thai chicken or.... It's great with just hot sauce on it.... enjoy.

MsRd... Here here, I'll second the WATP recommendation. I have been enjoying doing the work out every second day. I do 2 mile express. I think it has really helped me with my fitness.... I felt like I walked a lot faster on our 14k walk today because of it. Just a though though ... try to pick something you really like to do... do you like to do group things or on your own.... sometimes playing golf or a team sport can make the fitness more fun... how about badminton with the kids, or gardening... or mowing the grass.... swimming... water arobics ... walking at the beach (do you have a beach?) the possibilities really are endless.

I know I sound like I'm tooting my own horn tonight... but I just gotta share... I bought two pairs of pants last night one pair was size large (not 2X or XL) and one pair was size 16 Granted they are stretchie - but this wasn't doable at Christmas. YEAH ME! I haven't made too much progress in the weight loss department this past month ... but I think things are changin' around.

Anyways I guess I gotta change my signature and get going.... Gladiator is on tonight - can't miss Russell Crowe...

Lisa - Great progress on your recovery, you seem to be taking this in your stride. Good for you.

Chick - Relax.... the Dr's know what's best for you and your kids will want to help you feel better when you get home - everything always works out the way it is supposed to.

Lisa & Chick - I really wanted to send you an ecard (from 3FC home page) but it appears that we have to send them via email and not by a private message. I would really like it if you PM'd me you email addresses so that I could send them over to you.

Hugs to all ... For me Sunday is a day to remember all the things I am thankful for ... and although it's a little early (Saturday night) I wanted you all to know how much I count on and appreciate your help and support. Be kind to yourselves.... you deserve it.

squabb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 12:20 AM   #160  
~In my own little world~

Thanks for all the well wishes. You are all the best. I know I haven't been here to long but I totally appreciate how when I jumped in I felt like I was actually participating instead of being an outsider. You are all very special people.

Julie is right on everything she said. I want to add that if you start out with relaxing stretches and build your momentum for a workout, it makes a big difference. That gradually gets the blood flowing while getting those muscles ready. I had to do that when I first started working out. It helped me so much to build up my stamina. And now I can just jump right in. I got a dvd of 10 minute exercises. It has butt, abs,arms and legs. It's really great for when you just don't have alot of time. Here is the one I have. I highly recommend it. Just be careful and don't overdo it. I hadn't exercises in years so everyday I would go 5 minutes more and that kept me from overdoing it. Good luck!
Old 02-20-2005, 09:09 AM   #161  
motomom

Default Group Hug!!

I just want to say that I feel the LOVE here on this forum! I feel so motivated from all of you!

Joy and Lucia, you two inspire the heck out of me! Please don't lose your momentum! I am right behind you all the way and I am certainly going to try all the suggestions that you are giving with food and exercise. Joy, I'm pretty sure I won't be doing a 9 mile walk anytime soon, but I will work up to that!!! Spring will be here before I know it (as the snow comes down and we are due to have another storm today! UGH!) so I better get ready, huh? Think I can lose 10lbs before then??? It would make it sooooo much easier, wouldn't it?

After I exercise today, I will have met my exercise goal for the week, then next week I have to figure out how I am going to get in 4 days of aerobics. I've been doing the toning along with the exercise which seems to help a lot!

Anyway...thanks to all you wonderful chickies here!

And Chick...I'll be saying a few extra prayers for you this morning...you just let go and let others take care of you until you are healed. Then you will feel so much better! I'm thinking of you...and Lisa! Chins up chickies!

HUGS!!!!
Old 02-20-2005, 10:33 AM   #162  
FullTime Domestic Goddess

Chick - I just want you to know I am thinking about you and praying for you. This surgery is do-able. The pain is manageable. And, I am SO like you - I am used to doing everything!! I truly am. And, you know what?? For a long time, since I have been having all of these "problems" leading up to this surgery..I have not been feeling my best..and for this short season of healing and recovery..I am trying to realize that I am going to feel BETTER..be able to give more to my family..and ultimately- Feel better for ME. Because, we deserve to feel good! And I am telling myself it is perfectly O.K. for me to lie here and let others help me. I am a good person, and I help others...and now it's my turn. Bless you...you are going to be just fine . I'm here for you if you have any questions or need to chat. Please update us and let us know how you are doing when you are able to! Also, I HIGHLY recommend having a laptop in the bed after surgery!! LOLOL!! This is keeping me sane! .....thanks DH!!!!!

Julie - Hi there girlie! Hope church was good. Did you get your menus planned out?? I thought you said you did. Anyway, TTYL!!!

Joy - You ARE such an inspiration!!! WTG with the walking. When I am able to....I am going to follow your lead!! Oh, how is your arthritis doing?? Are your meds working? Hope you have a good day . You ROCK!!!!

Lucia - Girl, you are just melting away!! I am SO PROUD OF YOU!!! (((((Lucia!!!)))))

MsRD - I like the WATP tapes too. There's so many to choose from! Good for you on working your way up in increasing the exercise...thats SO TERRIFIC!!

Jennifer - You out there???Let me just give you a ((((((((HUG!!!)))))))))))).

Can I say something to this entire group?? (*sniffle...*sniffle....) You guys have been so terrific with your well wishes and prayers. It just means the world to me..it really does. This past week hasn't been easy for me. I've been uncertain and scared,,actually quite terrified. But, you kept on encouraging me and saying just the nicest things. It has helped me get through this. I think you all are fabulous. And, I am so glad we are on this journey together...not just the journey of weight loss...but the journey of friendship. Bless you all!!! YOU ARE FABULOUS AND I LOVE YOU!!

Well...I need to nap...I'll check back in later...Have a good Sunday!!
lisa girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 08:02 PM   #163  

Hello All

It's been a quiet weekend......worked on the basement remodel yesterday. Today, we went out to brunch (and most of the food choices I made were good.....hehehe), and then just put my feet up and watched the race today.

I took your (collective) advice and bought a WATP dvd. I checked them out online.......but was somewhat overwhelmed when I realized there were eleventy-nine different ones! On the way home from brunch, we stopped at the store and, luckily, there were only 2 in stock to choose from......one was mucho advanced, so I bought the other one. I am so pumped.....this is going to be a good week!

Lucia......thank you for detailing your program. By putting numbers to it (1400-1500 cals/day), it gives me something to shoot for.

Joy......Congrats to your and your ever-shrinking pants size! Go ahead and toot your horn....you deserve it! As soon as Spring arrives, I will be taking the dog out for walks, so that will get me some extra exercise. (And, by the looks of it, both the dog and I could use some!)

Julie......thank you for the article link you posted. I have read several at your recommendation and they have been quite helpful. I have started to make out a menu plan for the week......not as hard as I thought...and it will also help to keep track of calories and also the grocery list!

ChickNextDoor......thinking of you and saying special prayers for tomorrow. I know you will do just fine. Keep us posted!

Lisa......You sound like you are feeling better every day! Get enough rest and don't overdo!

Well, chickies, I have to go figure out how my DVD player works and walk away some pounds!
MsRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 08:22 PM   #164  
Onward and downward!

Cool

How are all my chickies today? to everyone for their wonderful comments about my weight loss. I don't know where I would be without the fantastic support I recieve here!

When I posted my plan yesterday, I left a few things out. I take the time first thing Sunday morning to plan out my weekly meals, and I see this is something Julie is doing. It really helps to be organised. When I first started counting calories, I wrote down what I ate throughout the day and tallied it up at the end, but was often under or over my target, and sometimes I had the best of intentions to exercise, but it just didn't happen. So I decided to plan out my weekly meals and it is just so easy. I sometimes substitute a meal for roughly the same nutrient value, but I am never caught without something good to eat. This was one of my biggest problems, I'd arrive home starving, and grab the quickest thing I could find, though it didn't always prove to be the healthiest. Another thing I have been doing is drinking at least 8 glasses of water per day, I tick these off as I drink them.I also plan my exercise for the week, print it on a chart and tick it off as I complete it.

Have a great day everyone!
Old 02-20-2005, 10:54 PM   #165  
motomom

Default Sunday Evening

Hi chickies...
I'm kind of in disarray as I write this. I wrote down 4 things i was going to do today and I havent' completed any of them! Big Heavy Sigh! OK, I DID get my meal made and I DID complete my workout...of 30 minutes on the bike!!!! Yea!!! That felt good, but just those 5 extra minutes just wiped me out at the end and I didn't have much left for toning, so I skipped that today.

I've been working on some "homework" on and off today (between housework, preparing meals, hanging with family, etc.) and I still have so much to do. So I have decided to stay home tomorrow and get it all finished, and hopefully my company will pay me for my hours at home! Monday has been my day off in the past, but with all the jobs they have thrown my way, I have had to work it. So tomorrow I will get the rest of the things on my list crossed off!!! One of them is to plan my meals for the week!

Lucia...I would love to see your menu plan! I mean, I have no trouble coming up with good healthy meals for myself! But unfortunately I have two picky eaters here and I try to plan meals with them in mind too! Makes it kind of hard sometimes! I prepped a good amount of veggies today so I will have them on hand to just grab for meals this week ( I do my own stirfry with them...tastes good and not too much trouble!) I'm not much of a meat eater, so I like to stick with chicken and ground beef, although and occassional pork cutlet is ok! We do plenty of mexican dishes around here! Anyway...you sound so organized! I have never asked and you haven't said, but do you have family that lives with you? Just curious! And where exactly do you live? You don't have to tell me any of that, but it's kind of nice to know a little about the people who support me!

MsRD...I'm soooo proud of you...for getting that video and for starting a menu! I've been out of the habit for a while, but I know it's what keeps me on target, so I plan to get it done!!!!! Let us know about the DVD!

Lisa...Hope you are feeling ok today. Are the boys helping you? ARe you getting your rest? How long do you need to stay in bed? So many questions. I'll try to catch up with you tomorrow if (and I'm planning it right now) I stay home!

Jennifer...sorry we didn't hear from you this weekend. Hope all is well with the internet connection! Maybe you are just busy prepping your meals and planning and doing your exercise!

Chick...my thoughts are with you chickie! I'm sure you will come through with flying colors! (((((((((((Chicknextdoor)))))))))))))

Joy...thanks for the low down on the slaw! ChowMein noodles...like the ones you get with the canned stuff?? I guess I don't know really what kind you mean? Or do you mean the Noodles you get with Ramennoodles? And way to go on the new clothes "fit"! I know what you mean about the body changing but the scale staying the same! All that muscle building! Way to go, chickie!

Elisha...hope your weekend was a good one! I know we will hear from you when you get a minute!!!

Mary...hope your weekend was wonderful! Let us hear from you, chickie! Miss you!

Anyone else I missed...I'm sorry! Hope you all have a great Monday (I know it's not MOnday yet, but it's close where I live! )