Old 02-01-2005, 09:42 AM   #1  
"workin' on my fitness"

Height: 5'10"

Default ~*Rev up your heart rate for Valentine's Day*~

How many of us are already contemplating Valentine's Day plans? Avoiding the chocolate that has been out in the stores for the last 2 weeks...making plans for dinner, or dessert with those significant others...

How many of us are doing something for ourselves? Exactly! We're still not putting ourselves first! This Valentine's Day (and throughout February) let's give ourselves the best present ever- the gift of good health and longer life. Time to commit to the cardiovascular exercise that leads to a healthy heart, and fat burning!

Who's with me? Post your goals for the next 4 weeks, and let's focus on breaking a sweat & revving things up!

Click here for Valentine's Day Avatars

Last edited by **Jennifer**; 02-01-2005 at 06:50 PM.
**Jennifer** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 12:46 PM   #2  
~Insane Java Turtle~

Talking Count me in

Yep. I'm in! I'm still not ready to give up and I'm doing my best to sweat my butt off (literally). I bought a new work ou DVD and it's TOUGH! But right now, the BF wants the computer to EBAY, so let me work on those goals, and I'll get back to you. I'm in Dragon. Snapping Turtle coming through.
Hotcupojava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 05:59 PM   #3  
motomom

S/C/G: 199/182/164

Height: 5'2"

Default New month, New attitude!

Hi chickies...
Have a little time before dinner...waiting for the chicken veggie soup to heat up. I'm in on this new challenge! Goals? Oh...do I HAVE to???? LOL!!!

OK...
One thing Ihave to remember that a goal is just that...it doesn't mean that I will get there, but I need something out there to keep me focused...something that will motivate me! So here goes:

1. Working out--I plan to start again!!! How's that for a goal? OK, seriously...I hope that I can at least do 3 cardio workouts weekly in the first two weeks then up it to 4 in the next week and then 5 by the last week of Feb. Toning needs to start happening soon, too. I'm shooting for 3 toning sessions weekly through the end of the month. This may seem small to some, but I know my health is important right now and sleep is as valuable to me as working out these days!

2. Food--I plan to eat some!!! LOL!! Oh, I am on a roll now! This is, of course, the hardest part. Lisa tells me that she has a plan for me! Hmmm! I guess I will have to wait and see...something about WW core! Two weeks of that...I should have started today, but I didn't!

3. Water---gotta hydrate myself, for sure! Lots of it! Need to start drinking water again before I leave the house in the morning and then fill my glass as soon as I get to work! I find I don't have time to drink otherwise, except at lunchtime and on my way home. So my goal is to get in 40 oz. before I leave work every day and then another 30 once I get home! Gulp, gulp, gulp!

Alright...my stomach is starting to growl which means I gotta feed me!!!

Hope to hear from all you wonderful chickies tonight!

Hugs!
hikein2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 06:01 PM   #4  
"workin' on my fitness"

All right. Finally 5 minutes to myself, and a clear head.

My biggest goal has to be the exercise. I did fine until mid-January when the anniversary extravaganza began, followed by work out the wazoo. Exercise was the first thing to go by the wayside. I need a prod, and I'm committing to 20 minutes of cardio, minimum, each work day. Weekends, gotta make sure there is movement there, too. My rule to myself- if I don't sweat, it don't count. Period. Pushing that shopping cart & walking a mile in the store is great "lifestyle" stuff, but no more excuses- no more counting that as real activity. I need to get this fat off, and half-assing it is not helping me in any way, shape, or form.

So.... 28 days, lots of sweat planned. Add more water, and watch the food. Food comes easiest with the pre-planning, so that I can do. Prod the heck outta me, chickies. I'm going to try to get here to post before work each day, or I'm going to have to give my shadow ex-lax daily to get a few free minutes when I can have the moments of privacy to get here. Last thing I need is her lurking here, right?
Old 02-01-2005, 07:43 PM   #5  
~Insane Java Turtle~

Talking Cool deal, Dragon

I like your post Jennifer. I like the self talk. It's tough, but not self depreciating. I'm with you. I'm shooting for five days in a row of cardio. Now my problem is lack of exercise and menu planning. I wish it were as easy for me as "some" people LOL. I'm feeling motivated, but apprehensive. Maybe I should call it "hopeful." At least the drinking of water is easy for me.
Hotcupojava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 09:11 PM   #6  

Evening all!

I'm in! January was lost.....exercise, food, water, the works went down the tubes. BUT January is over and I am ready to begin anew. The goal is to get everything back on track....hate being so general, but that is it! And I have banned heretofore and forevermore all pre-packaged granola bars from my house......they are evil!

Jenn.....thanks for getting us started. And for reminding us to re-think and re-set our goals.

Mary.....i love your 'still not ready to give up'......that is just the inspiration I need!

Julie....I can tell that you are feeling better and are ready to commit to a healthier February!

I was listening to the radio this AM and they had a talk on exercise, developing a healthier lifestyle, etc etc. In a nutshell, he said that in order to make major lifestyle changes, a person cannot dwell on the long-term goal entirely. One has to take the small steps necessary, focusing instead on each day. He gave the example of a football coach.....the long term goal of a winning season.....but having his team focus more on the individual plays that make up each game. That is what I have to do.....focus on each aspect of this new regimen, count every small success, and together it will take care of the long term goal.

Last edited by MsRD; 02-01-2005 at 09:14 PM.
MsRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 09:40 PM   #7  
Bound and Determined

S/C/G: 268/268/150

You know I'm in, chicks!

Goals:
1. Drink more water. I know for a fact that this helps me tremendously. If I don't drink enough water I don't lose weight. Simple as that.
2. Exercise. I think I exercised all of 3 days in January. And again, I know for a fact that if I don't exercise I don't lose weight. Again, simple as that. So 4 days a week, every week, of at least 20 minutes cardio.
3. Strength train. At least 3 days a week.
4. Watch the eating. If I decide to stick with the SBD (I'll write more on that topic later, tomorrow probably), follow that as closely as possible. If I decide to go back to calorie counting, follow that as closely as possible.

That's it. Let's make this February our best month ever!
~Elisha
miss_elisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 11:54 PM   #8  
~In my own little world~

May I join in here?

My goals are to start weight training. I can't go to the gym and have no room for a full workout station but I'm going to start with my small weights and work from there. I started small on my treadmill and bike and have made a go of it.

I'm also going to do better with mixing my exercise up. Instead of every evening getting on the bike, I'm going to alternate days like I did in the beginning. Alternating between the treadmill and the bike. I think I'm creating a habit and I need to mix it up.

That's my story for this month. Good luck to everyone.
ChickNextDoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 02:22 AM   #9  
Pending Email Confirmation

Here we go again..... I lost my wonderful and inspiring post.... but I'll make a special effort to re-do it. UGHHHH

Hi Everyone and welcome Chick

Of course I'm in .... I have been waiting... with baited breath... for chance to renew my commitment. So here goes...

1. Eat OP everyday - that means stay within my points limit of 26 (including the use of flex and activity points to keep on track).
2. Exercise everyday for 30 minutes minimum (yes, Jennifer, and sweat too. I enjoyed the minute challenge from last month - so I'm going to keep that one up on my signature. My goal 840 minutes for February.
3. Drink at least 80 oz of water everyday. Make that extra effort to keep the water flowing on the weekends - where I often leave myself high and dry without my bottle of water sitting in front of me all day.
4. In keeping with my Long Term goals 199 by June 1st and GOAL (130-150 I think) by my 50th birthday June 1st (2006) I will see a five pound loss for a weight of 215.
5. I will work on my core strength and flexibility by doing yoga 2-3 times per week and by purchasing a fit ball and book at work outlining exercises and fit those in 2-3 times per week after my morning workout.
6. DH wants to (as his goal) hike the summitt of Mount Rainier. He wants me to go too so I want to be in condition for this in late August - September. I hope that I can manage it with my knee problems.... we'll see. I really wanted to do the multi day hikes around the base (more my speed) but we'll see.
7. I will continue to work toward my organization goals (at home and at work) and put my focus on purging files and gathering income tax papers and receipts.

Whew....

Had to laugh today when I drove past a sign that said EXTREME LAZER TAG - I immediately turned it around to EXTREME TAZER LAG and thought of our group, especially Hikein. I think we all had extreme tazer lag at the end of January. We need to find a way to keep ourselves in focus and support each other. I wanted to take this opportunity to thank everyone for the help and support offered along the way... know that I expect this to continue and I will have my tazer on ready too.... and hugs available when needed.

I've started the new month with a very successful day. I ate OP 23/26 points. I drank 90oz of water. I did WATP 2 miles express this morning, went for a 15 minute walk during my lunch break and swam for 30-45 minutes tonight. If I keep this up I'll beat my 840 minute challenge for sure. (90 minutes exercise today WHOO HOO)

Well now that we are on a new month I know everyone will focus on their personal goals and challenges and embrace them with a viliant effort and renewed ambition.

Well hugs everyone

Gotta go -- just noticed it's 11:23.... I have to get up at 4:30
squabb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 02:23 AM   #10  
Pending Email Confirmation

Here we go again..... I lost my wonderful and inspiring post.... but I'll make a special effort to re-do it. UGHHHH

Hi Everyone and welcome Chick
Of course I'm in .... I have been waiting... with baited breath... for chance to renew my commitment. So here goes...

1. Eat OP everyday - that means stay within my points limit of 26 (including the use of flex and activity points to keep on track).
2. Exercise everyday for 30 minutes minimum (yes, Jennifer, and sweat too. I enjoyed the minute challenge from last month - so I'm going to keep that one up on my signature. My goal 840 minutes for February.
3. Drink at least 80 oz of water everyday. Make that extra effort to keep the water flowing on the weekends - where I often leave myself high and dry without my bottle of water sitting in front of me all day.
4. In keeping with my Long Term goals 199 by June 1st and GOAL (130-150 I think) by my 50th birthday June 1st (2006) I will see a five pound loss for a weight of 215.
5. I will work on my core strength and flexibility by doing yoga 2-3 times per week and by purchasing a fit ball and book at work outlining exercises and fit those in 2-3 times per week after my morning workout.
6. DH wants to (as his goal) hike the summitt of Mount Rainier. He wants me to go too so I want to be in condition for this in late August - September. I hope that I can manage it with my knee problems.... we'll see. I really wanted to do the multi day hikes around the base (more my speed) but we'll see.
7. I will continue to work toward my organization goals (at home and at work) and put my focus on purging files and gathering income tax papers and receipts.

Whew....

Had to laugh today when I drove past a sign that said EXTREME LAZER TAG - I immediately turned it around to EXTREME TAZER LAG and thought of our group, especially Hikein. I think we all had extreme tazer lag at the end of January. We need to find a way to keep ourselves in focus and support each other. I wanted to take this opportunity to thank everyone for the help and support offered along the way... know that I expect this to continue and I will have my tazer on ready too.... and hugs available when needed.

I've started the new month with a very successful day. I ate OP 23/26 points. I drank 90oz of water. I did WATP 2 miles express this morning, went for a 15 minute walk during my lunch break and swam for 30-45 minutes tonight. If I keep this up I'll beat my 840 minute challenge for sure. (90 minutes exercise today WHOO HOO)

Well now that we are on a new month I know everyone will focus on their personal goals and challenges and embrace them with a viliant effort and renewed ambition.

Well hugs everyone

Gotta go -- just noticed it's 11:23.... I have to get up at 4:30
squabb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 07:28 AM   #11  
motomom

S/C/G: 199/182/164

Height: 5'2"

Default Hump Day-Checkin In!

Joy...I had to laugh when I read your post about the tazer lag!!!!! That IS funny! And yes...I am in dire need of that tazer, even today with a new month and all, but....

I just want to clarify something so y'all don't think I'm being a sissy here with the exercise. I've been soooo sick this last week. Yesterday was my first full day back at work in over 2 weeks because of this illness! I'm very fatigued and I'm hoping that I don't have or this doesn't turn to Pneumonia. I have a Dr. appt. this afternoon and will talk with my Dr. in lenght about exercising and getting started again. If she gives me the thumbs up, I will start slow. I don't want any relapses and I DO want to get healthy again! It felt so good last year to be exercising 4-5 days a week and even though the weight was not melting off, I had waaaaaaaaaaay more energy! This is something I need.

My goal this year is to hike the Adirondacks in August with my sister. 4 mountains in 5 days! It's going to be quite an adventure, but I WILL BE READY!!!! I wish just ONE of you lived near me so we could get in shape together with hiking. I need to find a hiking partner (like you Joy, my husband does NOT enjoy that kind of thing, which is why he is NOT going with me on this adventure!) So, I guess the next best thing is to get going with this exercise and stop procrastinating....ok...I really HAVE been fatigued and although in the mornings I have the best intentions...by supper, I'm ready for bed~! It's a vicious cycle, ya know!

So, I am going to start over this month, if the Doc says "ok" today! I will start again with my signature line for exercise and will start slow. I know you all will be here rooting for me, like I will root for you! It wouldn't help to have a few prayers/good vibes sent this way, either! Thanks!

(Climbs off of soap box....)

Hugs to all of you!!! I absolutely CAN NOT do this without you wonderful chickies!!!
hikein2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 08:43 AM   #12  
FullTime Domestic Goddess

Default Hi there!!

Everybody, your goals sound so good -- and your enthusiasm is so catching!! I've got a feeling this is going to be a group full of "losers" this month...........Losers of Lotsa Weight that is!!!

I am going to participate in the challenge in my own way. I am having some major surgery on the 17th of this month, and I will not be able to exercise for about 6 weeks. Additionally, I will be relying on others to help me with meals and whatnot, and I don't know how that will be. Sometimes we just are not in complete control of things - sometimes we just have to do the best we can. Just wanted to clarify that I won't be posting regularly....but that I am not Dropping Out..and I DO support you all!! So...with that said...I will be working hard up until the 17th, and who knows?? Maybe I can drop a pound or two!!!!

My goals are to:

Drink my water like a good girl
Exercise at least 4-5 times a week
Eat sensibly

***Good news!! I went to a water aerobic class on Monday with one of my friends and I loved it!! Joy, didn't you say that you do these classes?? Anyway...I am planning to go to this class on Mon., Thurs., and Sat. The water was so warm..and I felt like I got a good workout without hurting my back!! Yay!! Also, it felt good to BE OUT OF THIS HOUSE and do something for myself. I'm feeling good about this class.

Hope you all have a terrific day filled with much happiness!!

(((((((((hugs))))))))))),
Lisa

p.s. Julie, give me a doctor's report girlie!!
lisa girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 09:45 AM   #13  
Bound and Determined

S/C/G: 268/268/150

Morning chicks!

Motivation level: 8

I feel a good day coming on! Today's my day off, and there's an avocado waiting for me in the kitchen, so all is well. I'm going to get my taxes done, and clean my room, and exercise, and drink lots of water! Period! I'm also going to find that free gym pass so I can eventually use it.

As for the South Beach update I referred to in my last post... yeah, so I'm a little disappointed that my weight loss has slowed already, and I'm over a week in and still craving carbs like a fiend, and I feel slightly nauseaus all the time. A few years back I had my dr. put me on diet pills, and I felt like there was a giant ball of gas in my stomach all the time, and it made me not want to eat (but I did anyway, because I still got hungry--therefore the diet pills weren't very helpful), and that's what I feel like now. I think that Phase 2 might be better, since I get to add back in some carbs, like whole-grain bread. Maybe that will soak up some of whatever it is in my stomach. I'm going to stick it out with the SBD for another week of Phase 1, plus 1 week of Phase 2, then I'll decide if I'm going to stick with it long-term or not.
If anyone else has tried South Beach or any other form of low-carb, have you experienced that problem, or am I just weird? (I know I'm weird, and I'm ok with that, but you know what I mean! )

Ok... comments!

ChickNextDoor: Welcome to the group! We're a great bunch of chicks!

Joy: I think you're right--we were ALL experiencing Extreme Tazer Lag! Someone needs to dust off that tazer and get us moving!

Lisa: I wish we had some water aerobics classes around here. I love being in the water! (I was a lifeguard during high school.) And if it helps you get healthy, that's an added bonus! And I hope everything goes well with your surgery. It's a good idea to keep up with the exercise and diet until then, too--exercise improves your body's resiliency so you'll bounce back even faster!

Julie: As for something I meant to say about 2 weeks ago... avocados are great. There's guacamole, of course, which I could spread on just about anything--it's great on hamburgers. I also like them chopped up in scrambled eggs, or strips in any sort of wrap, or sliced and grilled--they're great on sandwiches. Or in salads. Or as a dip. Anyway, the hiking sounds like a good time. I wish I had someone to hike with too (Steve's not a big hiker). Of course, the mountains I live in aren't excessively large, but they're still mountains! And on the starting slow thing, I think that's a good way to go about it. We have to start somewhere, and you need to make sure your body can handle it after all the sickness.

And on a completely different note...
February marks my 1-year anniversary here at 3FC, and also the 1-year anniversary of the most (and only!) successful diet I've ever been on, and because of that I'm thinking about how much I've accomplished in the past year. At this time last year I weighed about 240 pounds. But I started exercising and limiting my portions and I got down below 200. Then August came and it just stopped, and I crept back up over the holidays. The way things stand now, I'm back over 200 (barely) and I've hardly exercised in months.
The way I'm looking at it, this is my New Years. This is the time for me to renew my committment to losing weight, eating right, and exercising. If I can follow last year's pattern, I'll reach my goal weight of 160 by August (and hopefully I won't have to start over again next February! ).
I know that one of the main things that helped me get where I am, helped me stay on track, was you chicks. And for that I am very grateful. Thank you.

It sounds like we're all ready to make another go at it, so let's go!
~Elisha
miss_elisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 11:14 AM   #14  

Well I am in. My goals?
Drink plenty of water
Exercise 5-6 days a week
Not to sit down in front of the TV/Computer more hours then I workout/am up and around

So far so good. Yesterday, I did workout yesterday.. was at mommy and me for 9 then came home to workout and left as soon as I could and went to the mall (that has been more and more lately... don't have too much feminine clothes but am becoming more and more comfortable with trying it on- as soon as I get a job I can go spend on it). Then when I came home after 5 I sat for the first time all day.
Today will be harder... I didn't get up as I said that I would and had to go bring hubby to work so when I got back I showered and am waiting for the lady to arrive for our appt today and then have to go out in town for a few things. When I finally get done with that I will see but then DD has an appt for 215 this afternoon so don't know how much will get done. I am aiming for an hour of workout since I doubt I will have any luck with any more then that. The later it gets in the day, the less likely I will do anything at all.
Tomorrow and the rest of the week will be easier then today though which is good for me. Well gotta go straighten up a little before she gets here in about 20 minutes.
gabwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 04:53 PM   #15  
"workin' on my fitness"

Default Avoiding the 'Roid & trying to sneak in a post

Hey there chickies! While my shadow/hemmerhoid is busy on the phone, I am desperately trying to get in here to post. Arrrgh! Can I do it? Can I type like a fiend & get this sucker done in time?

Mary- I hear ya, chickie. I'm not ready to give up, either. Even if it takes me the whole year to re-lose what I did last year, I have to do this. It's a matter of feeling like crap, or feeling like I can move this carcas around. And with the self-talk, someone else echo it too, so I learn to listen!

Julie- Hope you get a good report from the doctor- fill us in! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

MsRD- I have this mental picture of you opening the front door & flinging granola bars everywhere...I know, I'm punchy, but I laughed out loud at the mental image.

Elisha- your month was so much like mine- it all started off on the right foot, but then post-anniversary, I was horrible. And Happy 3FC Anniversary to you! Here's to making this second year even more amazing than the first.

ChickNextDoor- Welcome to the group! This is a terriffic group- make yourself at home!

Joy- I LOL'd at Tazer Lag...if I start to lag behind again this month, tazer the crap outta me! I need it! (and maybe that'll perk up my perm, too! )

Lisa- Just wanted to let you know that you will be in my thoughts, and you know your girls will check in with you and make sure you are being taken care of. Rest, recover, and don't push it- we'll take you as a cheerleader on the sidelines, and you can jump in with both feet when the doctor gives you the all clear.

I think I got everyone- now for the brief update of the day. My chili that I had thawing out was gone from the fridge. made plans to run out & get chicken breast and yellow rice & fresh fruit, but as my roid (who was driving) pulls out, she decided she wanted something else. "Baby Pizza" which is a personal size pizza. I blotted up as much as I could, and used a lot of black pepper to make that fill me up & taste like it was filling. Diet coke, some water, and a Zone bar for breakfast. I'll still be under on my #s, but you know that I certainly didn't want to have something that non-nutritious on my first day back at it with a vengeance.

So, dinner tonight- either the chicken breast I was talking about, or I'll stick with chickarina soup. I also am planning my sweat session- 30 mins of face reddening, hair-soaking sweat. WATP- 2 miles, with stretchie. No excuses. And then, I'll save the lessons & stuff for my new class, and check in.

Hope everyone is having a great hump day!