Old 10-05-2004, 08:03 AM   #61  
Bound and Determined

S/C/G: 268/268/150

Height: 5'10"

I would have to agree with pretty much everyone. It is wonderful to be able to sleep soundly at night, and it's even more wonderful for my body, especially my back, not to ache as soon as I roll out of bed. It's great to be wearing even slightly smaller clothing, and to look at myself as cute. It's awesome to be able to climb stairs or whatever without getting winded so very easily.
But I would have to go with Samantha and say that the best part is feeling like I'm finally in control of my life, even just this one part, because for so long I didn't feel like I was in control of anything. My favorite part of being healthy is seeing that I can actually do it.
miss_elisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 08:04 AM   #62  
Bound and Determined

Question Question of the Day

What setbacks have you had to overcome? How did you do it?
Old 10-05-2004, 08:14 AM   #63  

I can't honestly say I have overcome any setbacks I have. I struggle with night time snacking, weekend endulgences and PIZZA. I need to get adequate enough sleep and I don't do that either. I wish I could honestly say I have over-come something but can't.

Donna
dlzbth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 09:24 AM   #64  
"workin' on my fitness"

Default What setbacks have you had to overcome? How did you do it?

Oh man....there's the "bad week, gain back 4 pounds" that I've had to re-lose...there was the "bad month of June, gain back 15 pounds" that I have had to re-lose...and most recently there was the "Hurricane Month of September" where I did nothing as far as exercise, and trying to combat that.

I don't think I've really fully overcome anything...I think that once I reach goal weight, and can stay there for a year, I'll consider that overcoming some of the things in my head that have kept me from succeeding in the past.

Dang, seeing that in writing sure makes me take a look at how much work this takes.
**Jennifer** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 12:56 PM   #65  
LucyKitty

Setbacks?

1 - Not having enough money for about 6 months to buy/eat anything other than top ramen and kool aid.
2 - Having some seriously screwed up nerves in my mouth that are very painful and that I end up taking painkillers for (which retain water and slow your body down...)
3 - Same with painkillers and my back.

As well as dlzbth, I struggle with not eating late at night. This is more than difficult for me, because half of my life, I've worked until midnight (or later, depending on what had to be done...) or just all night, and so I ate when I had a chance. Having myself on a schedule is just confusing, and my body doesn't like to shut down at 9pm or anything... but I'll get over that, too!
lameducklucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 01:14 PM   #66  

Setback: training myself to eat only in response to actual hunger (not time of day, perceived stress, argument w/husband, being aggravated about something, the fact that I always eat something while watching a movie, etc.)

It was important for me to become aware of my hunger cues and follow those cues instead of responding to my moods. Also, to use other tools (friends, journaling, exercise) to help with managing moods--not relying on food to help with that.

Best wishes,
Elana
Elanajel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 08:24 PM   #67  
motomom

S/C/G: 199/182/164

Height: 5'2"

I think I am going to go with Jennifer's response...that I haven't overcome ANY setbacks and won't feel that I have fully overcome any until I have actually met my goal and maintained for a while!

This whole journey is a setback for me! One step forward, one step back, two steps forward, one step back! I don't know (today) that I have learned anything about changing my lifestyle!! I hope tomorrow I feel differently!
hikein2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 04:22 AM   #68  

I managed to re lose the weight I lost on my month long cheese binge in France. Although I think at the moment I'm in danger of regaining it Must stop grazing I am not a sheep!
dilleight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 07:34 AM   #69  
Bound and Determined

Does your new healthy lifestyle make you feel deprived in any way?
Old 10-06-2004, 08:40 AM   #70  
"workin' on my fitness"

Default Does your new healthy lifestyle make you feel deprived in any way?

Well, usually it doesn't. When I've got it all together, I don't feel deprived, I feel good about the choices I'm making. Even when hubby is eating stuff that I don't dare touch- I just feel like I have resolve, and that I'm working hard. Those days, I don't mind getting up earlier to exercise, and don't mind missing out on leisure time to just do nothing.

And then there are the Evil Twin days. When nothing seems like it's going right, and I really want that horrid fast food because I feel like I'm missing out. Or I want to go to Olive Garden & eat breadsticks & pasta until I can't move. Or I blow off exercise for more sleep, or to watch TV, or to work on schoolwork & then not even get that done. I need more good days strung together, like I had earlier this year. I need to get back into stride, and stay there. I didn't work this hard to have to keep re-losing the same fricking 15 pounds over & over & over again. And what takes 3 months to take off ONLY takes 3 weeks to put back on.
**Jennifer** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 08:50 AM   #71  
Samantha

Honestly, yeah, it does. I feel like it's not fair that I can't eat fried foods, or cokes, or stuff like that, but there are so many people out there who are rail thin and eat that stuff everyday. I don't understand. BUT, it's something that I absolutely HAVE to do. French fries, Donuts, Dr. Peppers, they are worth giving up in order for me to be healthy. Considering the alternative, getting so obese that I can't walk, or have children....definitely worth it.
Whatever I have to do......
Samantha2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 12:38 PM   #72  

I would think so since most of our lives we have endulged in all that we find wonderful and now those 'wonderful' things are forbidden fruit. BAD BAD!!! But I'm like Jennifer, if I am in the right frame of mind that is nothing really stressing me out it doesn't feel like I'm being deprived of anything.

Donna
dlzbth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 01:06 PM   #73  
LucyKitty

Nope. I feel better because the biggest change I've made, aside from giving up my beloved light ice cream, is having regular, formal workouts almost every day.

I don't feel deprived at all. I feel bad, though, for my skinny friends who eat nothing but junk and then complain when they don't feel well, their skin is not healthy, and they have no energy. I'm more proud than anything, and proud definitely does not equal deprived!
lameducklucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 07:05 PM   #74  

I honestly don't feel deprived. At times I do crave stuff but I give in otherwise I would splurge on it later. I rather give in a little instead of doing it the other way. Lately Ihaven't really been craving anything though which may mean that I have been doing it long enough where my body slowed down it's want for it. I do eat what I want but watch the portions. I also do as I want if Jasmine allows that is. She deprives me more then anything lately. LOL
gabwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 07:43 AM   #75  
Bound and Determined

What is the easiest part of your new healthy lifestyle?