Old 03-31-2019, 12:00 PM   #16  

Welcome Ally and good luck! Congrats on making it to ONEderland btw

I had a good week even though I'm still down due to my back. I think it's been 3 weeks since I have gotten into the gym. My back starts to feel better so I start doing a little more around the house and I end up hurting again. Yesterday I tried on all of my old shorts to get ready for warmer weather and about 5 or so pairs were too big on me! I also tried some old shirts on that I kept that were too small and almost all of them fit me now! Even my favorite shirt I wore my freshman year of high school, 10 years ago! Looking back I'm really disappointed I let myself get so big at such a young age. I can't believe I was the size I am now when I was only 14 years old, in my head I didn't see myself as this big back then. I'm so glad I'm changing sooner vs later, I want kids someday and I want to be able to keep them healthy from the start and be able to play with them and keep up. My parents were always big and they never really did anything with me outside, but I want to be there for my future kids lol
somedaysunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 02:51 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 267.4/167.6/150

Height: 5'7"

Welcome Ally and way to go on Onederland. It is always the right time to join in.

Congrats to Daydreamer on reaching Onederland this week as well.

And Somedaysunny, those are some amazing clothing NSV. Great feeling!

I finally managed to get a Sunday weigh in in the 194s. Fingers crossed that it is the start of a new trend, but we'll see. This has been a long plateau and I'm ready to move on from it.

Last edited by Lacerta; 03-31-2019 at 02:51 PM.
Lacerta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 04:34 PM   #18  

DayDreamer congrats on ONEderland!

Lacerta yes it definitely felt great fitting into those clothes! My wardrobe has now doubled lol I'm having a hard time getting rid of my bigger clothes though
Old 03-31-2019, 05:14 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 220/205/190

Height: 5'

I hope everyone is having a restful Sunday. My goal this month is to improve on February and March which were both null months for me. A little background: Since October I've been participating in a health and wellness year-long program offered at the university I work at. It isn't a weight-loss program but does encourage the loss of 7% of our starting weight over the course of the year. The research shows that people who lose at least 7% of their body weight show marked improvement of all their major numbers; blood-pressure, oxygen efficiency, sugar levels, etc. It started out of the University of Pittsburgh and focused on those who were diabetic or pre-diabetic It was so successful other campuses adopted it. At my university it started with a pilot diabetes/pre-diabetes group and has since branched out to the general health and wellness group I'm in. I'm in a group of 10 women and is the only one currently that is general health and wellness. October-December we met every week; January-March we met every other week. Beginning in April it will be once a month. We do a weigh-in every time we meet (privately and not in front of the group). It's been a great experience and during my first three months I lost 12 pounds. Winter quarter saw me lose and gain the same 2 pounds.

Things that changed that worked for me in the first 4 months:
  • I tracked all my food both in hard copy form and a food app
  • I substituted my way over indulgent use of half and half in my coffee for skim milk
  • Increased my movement (I've always been a consistent and strong walker)
How I've backslid in the last two months:
  • Stopped tracking my food in any manner
  • Fudging on my use of half and half
My movement has actually increased as I was part of a campus wide walking challenge with my health and wellness group. I'll be doing a spring challenge that starts near the end of April.

Things I am addressing:
  • Returning to food tracking
  • Handling stress and workload
  • Walking with the goal to return to running. I used to be a regular runner a few years ago and my goal is to crush it again. I started by walking.
Ally and Daydreamer, congratulations on making it to Onderland You're both an inspiration!

Miles walked January 1-March 30: 385.82 miles

Last edited by curvynotlumpy; 04-01-2019 at 02:27 PM.
curvynotlumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 01:18 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 193/159/140

Height: 5'9"

Sunny - I love that the clothes you tried on fit - such a boost. You are catching this young and that's great. I just bought a special edition People magazine full of people young and old who've lost over 100 pounds and it's the most joyful magazine. I read it from front to cover over the weekend.

Lacerta - may your April be nothing like your March lol. You will be in the 180s in no time. I'm deciding I need to move more. Walking, weights, yoga, I have to do it even though I really don't like it.

Curvy - I love your self reflection and plan going forward.
Follena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 12:33 PM   #21  
Andando...

Lacerta: Thankyou so much!

Somedaysunny: Thanks! I too hoarded all of my clothes, firstly because most of my clothes were cheap and I didn't see the point in investing on clothes since they were all ill fitting anyway and thus they were low quality (deformed and such). And seocndly, because I'd go up and down a lot. Like a month ago though, I was TIRED of not being able to find things, of my clothes being all over since I had no space for the clothes that DID fit. So I got the biggest plastic container I could find at the store and I tried EVERY single piece of clothing I had. Anything that did not make me feel good would go in the bin. I will probably have to take time at some point to wash/separate things and donate them, but for now they are stored away, I have my closet space back, and I feel GREAT with the clothes that DO fit.

Curvynotlumpy: I don't know if I would call myself an inspiration hahaha, but thank you! I am very flatered! Stress and time are probably my biggest downfalls when it comes to sticking with a healthy plan. I believe you can do it though! So keep moving forward.

---

Sorry if I have been a bit gone. This month was hard and my state of mind / mood have clearly been affected deeply. I recently reached 50 lbs lost. I stil hardly see a difference. BUT in two occasions a friend has mentioned that another friend told them how, a) "I looked so good they didn't recognize me at first." or b) "I lost a lot and looked hella skinny."! Now, I definetly do not look skinny, but I do really wish people would tell me this themselves, instead of hearing it from other people. But oh well, I am happy non the less.

There are 2.5 or 3 lbs I am lagging behind for my goal by the end of the month, but I am still doing progress. I want to get as close to my goal as I can. I will have a guest for 2 weeks in April, and will most likely be doing lots of touristy things (eating out), and that has me a bit worried. Suggestions, and advice on that matter would be greatly apperciated!

Hope everyone is doing great!

Last edited by DayDreamer26; 04-02-2019 at 03:25 PM.
DayDreamer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 11:22 AM   #22  

Follena: Thank you, same goes for you. You deserve to have an awesome April. And you also Curvy. Winter is hard, but it is over now, so let's all try to have a better, healthier spring.

Daydreamer: Congrats on reaching 50 pounds down. I didn't have anyone start to notice until about that point as well, and I still only see it sometimes, but at about 65 pounds down, everyone started noticing.

I usually only post in this thread once a week when I update, but just wanted to jump in and say that my long plateau appears to finally have broken. I'm in the 191s today, so I'm hoping to post a great loss on Sunday and am so happy to finally be moving again. Thank you to everyone in this thread and the Winter to Spring thread for your support or encouragement while I just sat around at the same weight for 6 weeks. Hope everyone else is having an amazing April so far.

Last edited by Lacerta; 04-03-2019 at 11:24 AM.
Old 04-04-2019, 02:52 PM   #23  

Lacerta; I'm so so glad your weight is on the move again. It's the hardest thing to hang tight and stay the course without that motivation of weight loss. Here's to a great April.

Daydreamer; sorry last month's been hard on you. My mood takes a regular beating also. We have such complex lives. Despite that, you've done tremendously well on weight loss. Some ideas for when your friend visits for 2 weeks, is buy your healthy groceries beforehand and do a bit of a meal plan that combines your own cooking with restaurants you choose where it's easier to stay on your eating plan. So it all comes down to plan, plan, plan. Even the touristy things can be planned around your meal plan. Sure there might be hot dogs or candy floss or whatever at the touristy places, but if you fill up with a good meal first ... and have healthy snacks in your pocket ... you'll be okay. Planning is your friend. Good luck!
Old 04-06-2019, 11:56 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 291/265.5/133

Height: 5'3"

Hope everyone's having a great start to the new season. I'm kind of all over the place. I've been around the same weight for 3 months now and I'm letting myself be distracted by other life stuff. Chocolate has always been my go-to comfort food when I'm stressed or sad and I'm both. The situation isn't going to change so I need to learn to cope better. University lectures have finished so I'm not getting all the exercise I was getting previously and I need to make the effort to go out and walk every day.
Newlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 09:19 AM   #25  

This recent up tick in weight loss has really got me in a good mood. This is the best I have felt in years actually, I'm very surprised, I hope this keeps up. I've delt with depression in the past up and down but right now I'm feeling great and have been for a good while now, I'm just now realizing it lol. I'm losing weight, I'm doing the best I have ever done in school, I'm getting out more and doing stuff, and I have plans for this summer! I have recently started painting my nails which is something I used to love doing, but quit because I was too busy, I'm also wearing more makeup again which I had practically given up on except my eyebrows lol Someone asked me back in January if I felt any better now that I had lost weight, but back then I still felt the same, I think since it's Spring now and the sun is out it has really helped me out a lot! AND since we were talking about non scale victories, someone at work noticed I had lost weight, I just started working their in December so none of them have seen me at my highest, but she said every time she sees me now I'm getting smaller and smaller lol I have also passed my Easter goal 2 weeks early so that's great too!

I'm going to be going on a 1 day bus trip to NYC here soon, has anyone been there and recommend some must see places? I only have 12 hours and I want to see as much as possible! I'm super excited
Old 04-07-2019, 09:40 AM   #26  

somedaysunny: What an amazing post. Your happiness is shining through. I love those breakthrough moments when the lightbulb comes on and suddenly you just "get it". And big congrats on reaching your Easter goal. You're doing amazing!

Newlyn: That is really hard. I have a tough time with stress as well. When I'm stressed, I don't feel like I eat more, but my body just holds on to everything and I don't lose. I try to step back and make time for myself whenever I can to destress, even if it is just taking 5 minutes to step outside and breathe, it can help, but I don't have any great advice, because I haven't gotten it down yet myself. The best I can offer are /hugs

Finally had a great week. Actually, it tied for a best ever, with the week I came off the last plateau. Apparently, that is my pattern when I plateau. This week moved me from obese to overweight and put me right on the verge of being a lower weight than I have ever tracked. The next couple days will be busy, but I'm still hoping to see an 8 in the 2nd digit by next week.
Old 04-07-2019, 01:11 PM   #27  

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedaysunny View Post
This recent up tick in weight loss has really got me in a good mood. This is the best I have felt in years actually, I'm very surprised, I hope this keeps up. I've delt with depression in the past up and down but right now I'm feeling great and have been for a good while now, I'm just now realizing it lol. I'm losing weight, I'm doing the best I have ever done in school, I'm getting out more and doing stuff, and I have plans for this summer! I have recently started painting my nails which is something I used to love doing, but quit because I was too busy, I'm also wearing more makeup again which I had practically given up on except my eyebrows lol Someone asked me back in January if I felt any better now that I had lost weight, but back then I still felt the same, I think since it's Spring now and the sun is out it has really helped me out a lot! AND since we were talking about non scale victories, someone at work noticed I had lost weight, I just started working their in December so none of them have seen me at my highest, but she said every time she sees me now I'm getting smaller and smaller lol I have also passed my Easter goal 2 weeks early so that's great too!

I'm going to be going on a 1 day bus trip to NYC here soon, has anyone been there and recommend some must see places? I only have 12 hours and I want to see as much as possible! I'm super excited
I love this post too and so glad you’re feeling happy and celebrating YOU.
I went to NYC for 4 days which was no where near enuf time. We did a bus tour through various sites in Manhattan, saw a couple Broadway shows, hit the science museum and went bar hopping. We walked Times Square, Central Park and 5th Avenue and enjoyed several restaurants. Really, if you just wander around you’ll find lots.

It depends what you like but I wish I had time to go to MOMA museum of modern art. Have fun!!

Last edited by Follena; 04-07-2019 at 01:12 PM.
Old 04-07-2019, 04:25 PM   #28  
Andando...

-

Last edited by DayDreamer26; 04-08-2019 at 12:23 AM.
DayDreamer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 06:41 PM   #29  

Daydreamer: I think the problem is in your expectations. Because I look at the numbers you post week after week, and I'm not even sure where you're coming from, because all I see you putting up are HUGE losses. I'm going to give you a little bit of tough love. Please take it the way I intend it, as wanting to help you succeed in the long run and be healthy.

You are averaging 2 pounds a week (over 26 pounds in the winter to spring challenge (and the highest % of everyone - by a lot), which was about 13 weeks, over 5 pounds so far in this challenge, and we are only 2.5 weeks in), which is an INCREDIBLY fast pace, by almost anyone's standards. Honestly, if you lost any faster, you'd be at a higher risk of health problems like malnutrition or gallstones. Doctors don't recommend you lose faster than 1% per week unless you are under constant medical supervision (like they are on certain TV shows that have skewed people's opinions about weight loss). Since you are now under 200 pounds (awesome, btw), 1% per week will be less than 2 pounds per week, so you are losing at the absolute top end of what is recommended. Please try to embrace the fast speed you are losing at and set more realistic expectations. Weight loss takes time, even when you do everything right. I worry that if you are frustrated now when you are losing at a pace that makes most of us drool, what will happen later when the pace really does slow down, as it is likely to do. After all, 1% of 175 is only 1.75 pounds a week and 1% of 150 is only 1.5 pounds per week. So it SHOULD slow down. Also, you don't want to go below 1200 calories a day (average) unless you are monitored by a doctor, and there will come a point where you can't average 1200 calories a day and still lose 2 pounds a week. Just isn't going to happen, unless you exercise hours and hours every day, at which point, again, you should be monitored by a doctor.

It is one thing to be frustrated when you see a number that isn't what you want. Trust me, I KNOW. I've had 2 plateaus now that were 6 weeks each where I lost NOTHING. It sucks. But when you say that you are filled with anxiety that you won't make a short term goal, it concerns me that you are getting obsessed with the scale instead of focusing on long term health, and that can lead to eating disorders, which none of us want. Your goals aren't crumbling, they just maybe got a week further away. That's actually why I went through my mini-goal list and removed all the date-specific goals. They were stressing me out too much. Once I just have goals that aren't tied to dates, it made everything so much better for me. No more stress about it, just the excitement when I reach a new goal. (Frustration sometimes, when a goal stays just out of reach, as happened for me in March, but not stress.) Originally, I had a list of where i wanted to be by the end of each month. According to that, I should have been at 185 at the end of March, so I was about 10 pounds "behind schedule". When I had that on my list and in my head, it was not only freaking me out, but actively irritating me that I was so far "behind". Once I removed that self-imposed schedule, all I can see is how far I've come and how much better things feel at 190 than they did at 267. Huge mindshift.

Try to also embrace the fact that this is your new way of eating, so in the long run, what difference does it make whether you lost 0.2 or 2.0 this week. I know that is not human nature, where we all want the results we want NOW, but if you can make that mind shift to a long term change in your life instead of a short term obsession with the scale, you are more likely to keep the weight off in the long run. The scale is a handy tool, but that is all it is. Let it help you to meet your goals, but Don't let it control you. I know you have a goal to get to by your trip in a few weeks, but haven't you already met the spirit of that goal? Was the important part of the goal weighing a certain exact number, or was it to lose weight and be healthier by the time you go? Hopefully you agree the important part was the latter. So what does it matter whether you weigh 187.3 or "just" get to 192.3 by then? Unless you are going to get on a scale and have a prize for hitting 187.3 in Japan, the important part is that you will be healthier. If it is going to ruin your trip knowing you only got to 189 instead of 187, that isn't a healthy place to be in mentally. I really want to see you mentally healthy and happy as well as physically.

Please do not take offense to anything I've said here. I've been there as well, more than once in this journey. But once I made the mindshift to embracing the process and the time it takes, I'm certainly enjoying life more AND still making good progress toward my goals AND more confident that I will keep the weight off long term. I want the same for everyone here.

/hugs /hugs

Edited to add: Also, I do participate in Challenges like this one and the monthly threads, which technically are date specific. But for this thread, I use it as a way to look at my trends long term. If I don't meet my goal, that's ok, I can still use the spreadsheet to see how far I've come. For the monthly thread, that is my accountability. It is the act of posting there daily that is motivating for me, not the number I set as a goal. I still do have a number I'd like to see at the end of the month and the end of the year, but once I deleted my "list of goal dates" from my minigoals, my whole mindset shifted about dates and goals. As long progress toward being healthier is being made, that is the important thing.

Last edited by Lacerta; 04-07-2019 at 07:18 PM.
Old 04-08-2019, 10:57 AM   #30  

Daydreamer: Oh, no! I see you've deleted your info and dropped out. Clearly my post did not come across as I intended. I sincerely apologize for whatever I said that made you decide to do that. My intention was to try to help you make the change from short term anxiety and distress to long term success and pride in your accomplishments. You have come so far, SO quickly, I just wanted to help you acknowledge and embrace how well you've been doing instead of be upset that you weren't doing better.

I truly hope that you've dropped out only because you decided that time based challenges aren't working for you, and that you continue to post in an accountability thread and continue with your incredible success.