Old 12-20-2011, 11:02 AM   #106  

S/C/G: 398/257/150

Height: 5'6"

My weight doesn't seem to be budging this week but I did have a talk with my dietitian yesterday and she and I both feel I need to up my calorie count for the next little while and see what happens. Who am I to say no when I get told to eat more food.

Hope everyone is having a great week.
LeslieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:06 AM   #107  

S/C/G: 209/157.5/135

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeslieB View Post
My weight doesn't seem to be budging this week but I did have a talk with my dietitian yesterday and she and I both feel I need to up my calorie count for the next little while and see what happens. Who am I to say no when I get told to eat more food.

Sometimes it does work to up your calories. Don't know exactly why, but doesn't hurt to try.

Some people do calorie cycling - a couple of days of low calories, followed by a couple of high calories. That way your body doesn't get a chance to go into starvation mode.

Interesting concept.
suttercm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:22 AM   #108  

Hello, chicks!

December has not been a good month for me. It's too cold to swim in the outdoor apartment pool, and I was swimming laps almost daily for 40 minutes through mid-October. Had a follow-up medical appointment yesterday and results of stress test show no heart issues, but neck x-ray shows advanced osteoarthritis, so doctor did not want me to jog. She said brisk walking is fine. BUt I had gotten to where I like the two mile jog two or three times a week, and I was doing it in 25 minutes, which is not bad for an old lady over 55!

Anyway, between no swimming and lots of Christmas concerts to rehearse, play in, or attend, my summer plan needs to be changed because I have not lost any weight in December. I'm still 131, and if I'm honest about it, it's probably really gone up to 132.

I'm not giving up on myself... I think I can meet my December exercise goal even if I don't meet he weight loss goal.
Tabbycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 04:40 PM   #109  
... and a piece of toast.

S/C/G: 170 >:(/152/135

Height: 5'2" <-- well, almost

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeslieB View Post

Did you ever try zig-zagging your calories? You eat between a range of calories (say 1300 and 1800) but change up how many cals you eat each day.

If you plug your numbers in at the calorie calculator link below, it gives you the option of a '7-day calorie cycle (zig-zag)'. Just like your body gets used to what exercise you do and becomes better/more efficient at it (and you need to exert more to get the same results) it seems to do the same with food/calories. Keeping your body guessing w/regards to both often helps 'jump start' things.

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/cal...alculator.htm#

Last edited by loose seal; 12-22-2011 at 05:53 PM.
loose seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 03:20 PM   #110  
Sandee

Height: 5' 2"

ok, I had my TOPS WI today I gained 1/2# this week. I've yo-yo'd all month from the holiday parties, brunches & baking sweets. Now I Must loose @ least 1#-2# between now & New Year's Eve, to party
to everybody who has lost this month & kept it off.
Merry Christmas! Dee
miniDoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:24 PM   #111  
Maintaining Mommy

S/C/G: 280/128/<135

Height: 5' 4.5"

sutter, thank you for thinking of me! Our blood test today came back negative, but I'm doing ok. Right now I'm just very ready to get back to my usual routine, and I plan to get prepared for the next step in this crazy process by shedding a few more pounds.

It's going to take me a while to catch up on everything I missed the past two weeks, but quickly:

Goldfrost, YAY!!!! I'm so glad the scale moved for you!! Your persistence totally paid off in the end. And woohoo for getting out of the obese category!! That's SUCH an awesome feeling!

All of you who are still here and fighting through the rest of December, kudos to you!! I know it's the toughest time of the year - lots of celebrations, baked goods, and weather that makes us just want to hibernate - but come January we're all going to be so pleased to have made some progress, any progress, toward our weight loss and health goals. We have a week left, and I KNOW we can finish this year on a high (or low, if we're talking about the scale) note!
chickadee32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:10 AM   #112  

Yay, I hit my Christmas goal of being down 5lbs.

Don't know if I'll hit my December goal of being down a total of 6lbs . . . will be happy to maintain the 5lb. loss through next week.

Have a wonderful Christmas everyone. I'm trying to enjoy the storm before the storm before the calm of Monday.
Old 12-25-2011, 08:29 PM   #113  
Maintaining Mommy

Congratulations on hitting your Christmas goal, loose seal!!

How did everyone else fare through the holiday weekend?
Old 12-26-2011, 09:04 AM   #114  

S/C/G: 211/ticker/150

Height: 5'6

Not too well but Im still checking in!
NoMoreKnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:00 AM   #115  

Thanks, chickadee. I'm glad I was able to reach my goal.

Yesterday went pretty well, all things considered. I made monkey bread for breakfast and . . . uh, when they say 'bake it in a tube pan' they mean 'bake it in a bundt pan' and those two pans are NOT the same. Had brown sugar and butter all over the bottom of the oven and tons of smoke pouring out at 10am yesterday morning. That was fun. Got it cleaned up and tried to finish baking the monkey bread and the center never cooked so we got to sample just the outside of it . . .which was a good thing cause that stuff is addicting! So only a bite or two of that, had creamed dried beef on toast for b/fast, no real lunch and a wonderful dinner of ham, mac n cheese, scalloped apples and cornbread. Small piece of pecan pie and a few pieces of candy, some chex mix. Didn't bother counting cals just enjoyed but didn't go overboard.

Today I'm exhausted and my cold has finally bloomed. Just chillin' and relaxing . . . I may not even bother getting out of the jammies today. Tomorrow? Back. On. Track!
Old 12-26-2011, 10:48 AM   #116  
Cardio / Calorie Counting

S/C/G: 172/164.7/122

Height: 5'2"

Please tell me that it is not really possible to be on track all month and gain it all back after one (Christmas) day. I didn't think I went that overboard.
GoldfrostDazzlefluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 01:27 PM   #117  
Maintaining Mommy

NoMoreKnit: Continuing to check in is the way to go, even if the holidays involved some overindulgence! This is the place to help you get back on track.

loose seal: Sounds like you did pretty well over the holidays, the pan debacle aside! I'm definitely tempted to stay in my pajamas all day too, and I'm not even sick, lol! Hope you're feeling better soon.

Goldfrost: No, you definitely didn't gain it all back, I promise. To have gained back 10 lbs you would have had to eat 35,000 calories above and beyond your maintenance calories yesterday, and there is no way you ate anything close to that! It's likely all the sodium in the food, and possibly something like a much higher carb intake than usual, that is causing water retention and resulting in a much higher number on the scale. I ate about 3000 cals on Christmas Eve day, or about 500 cals above what I burned that day (so equivalent to less than a 0.2 lb gain), and the scale jumped up 2.5 lbs. Even after eating well yesterday and ending up with a 1000 cal deficit, the scale is still up today. It's the sodium, and it may take a while to come off, but I did not gain 2.5 lbs - and you definitely did not gain 10 lbs. The scale will drop back, I promise; it just may take several days or a week to see all that water drop off.
Old 12-26-2011, 03:58 PM   #118  

I'm not evening getting on the scale till Sunday. I know the ham will add several lbs. . . . so salty (but sooo good!). Goldfrost ... skip the scale for a few days, drinks lots of water and get back on track. The scale will go back down. I find it too discouraging to see the scale go up like overnight when it took so long to get it to go down, even though I know it's mostly water weight.

It's 4:00 in the afternoon and I'm still as tired as I was. Wow, I forget that Christmas really wipes me out. I have to say that although I didn't exercise on Saturday I went absolutely non-stop from about 10:30am right up till 5:00pm. and am thinking I HAD to have burned some mega-cals which will help off-set some of the foods eaten. We're having reruns for dinner tonight but tomorrow I'm straight back to counting calories.

And my concern over all the leftovers? lol, the cherry cheese pie will be gone by tonight, there's only 2 or 3 pieces left of it (I ate a half of small piece that my son didn't want) and the pecan pie I can resist. Even the candy . . . I think I'll be ok with it and everyone else is eating it. There was so much food yesterday but it all either got eaten or sent home with family. Just enough leftovers for us for today. On no . . . that means . . . I have to figure out what to make for dinner tomorrow night!

Last edited by loose seal; 12-26-2011 at 04:00 PM.
Old 12-26-2011, 04:13 PM   #119  
Maintaining Mommy

And bananas! Water and bananas. The potassium will help to restore fluid balance and reduce the water retention.

Going to the movies tonight, and though I'll desperately want some I am NOT going to have any popcorn. I could fit it into my calories for the day (I'm only at 200 so far), but the sodium will prolong the water retention and I want these couple extra pounds off ASAP! I think I'll bring some sugar-free cinnamon candy to have instead.

Last edited by chickadee32; 12-26-2011 at 04:23 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:42 AM   #120  

S/C/G: 209/157.5/135

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickadee32 View Post
Going to the movies tonight, and though I'll desperately want some I am NOT going to have any popcorn. I could fit it into my calories for the day (I'm only at 200 so far), but the sodium will prolong the water retention and I want these couple extra pounds off ASAP! I think I'll bring some sugar-free cinnamon candy to have instead.
I don't go to the movies often as I just cannot bring myself to go and not get the popcorn. If I've had a good week or so, that would be my reward. My granddaughter loves to go the the movies with me so that is our special night out.
suttercm is offline   Reply With Quote