Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 05:25 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 180/130/130

Height: 5'5

Lightbulb

** Warning: Food mentioned ** <- I don't want to trigger anyone, so I added this after posting.

Hi ladies. I apologize for my posts where I don't say anything to anyone personally - I'm not trying to be selfish, it's just life getting in the way. I really appreciate all of the support that I find here. Thank you, thank you, thank you

I'm doing great! Aside from the fact that I'm going into my last class of the day and I'm starving...and I have to visit the grocery store AND the dollar store and wait for my boyfriend to get home before I can eat...wow, no wonder I was about to post that I was feeling a little bingey! Talk about binge triggers. I'm going to buy an apple to eat on the way to the dollar store... I really also want to pick up 100 grams of salt free mixed nuts...but I'm a little uncomfortable eating them while I'm alone in the house. They are healthy protein, and I could wait to snack on them until my boyfriend finishes classes...I just KNOW that he's going to want to stay up and watch a movie. What do you guys think?

I'm on a bagel kick right now. I know that they're not the #1 health food, especially when they're not whole grain. Oh well! I'm not dealing in absolutes anymore - no cutting anything out completely, just eat healthy 95% of the time and sensible 100% of the time. I discovered Philly's whipped cream cheese, and I love it! I'm not counting calories in meals right now - just relying on portion control and healthy choices - but I still glance at the nutrionals in food. This cream cheese is only 40 calories a TB and 4 g of fat! Light cream cheese is 60 calories for 2 TB, AND it has corn starch added into it as filler - it doesn't even taste like cream cheese to me. So the moral of my story is, you should try Philly's whipped cream cheese

I've been saving up for a YMCA membership, and I was sort of depending on being able to access the Oppurtunity Fund in order to be able to afford it (if you can't afford to pay the full membership fee, you book an appointment and get an assessment through the Op Fund to still be able to go). Aside from the fact that I'm a broke student, the YMCA near my house charges a $100 'building fee' on top of the monthly membership fee. To summarize, I called the YMCA today, and they told me that appointments for the Oppurtunity Fund are stretching into April at the present (!), so in the meantime, they will give me a temporary pass for $10 so that I can use the facilities while I wait for my appointment. So...for $10 I will be able to go to the gym beginning March 1! I am SO excited!! This is going to help my eating and my stress levels SO much! Even if I only manage to go for an hour a few times a week and jog on an elliptical machine, that's more than nothing. When I'm alone at night with nothing to do, I can walk a few blocks and work out instead of eating. Yay!!

I think the idea of buying flowers for each binge free week is a WONDERFUL idea, but right now, I need new clothes more. I'm going to continue putting away the money for my gym membership, but the fund that will depend on binge free weeks is going to be for clothes and accesories. I hope that sometime soon in the future, I will be able to buy myself a bouqet for every week, as well

I should get back to paying attention to my math teacher I'm sending everyone lots of and One more day of juggling work/school, and then the weekend!

Last edited by just_a_dreamy1; 02-21-2008 at 05:32 PM.
Old 02-21-2008, 05:28 PM   #47  

S/C/G: 140/125/115

Height: 5'4''

Tam - WOW you have awesome willpower! That is so good that you recognized you were thinking about binging but had HEALTHY HEALTHY oatmeal instead. You go! I hope work gets less stressful.
Clydie - I know you will be able to resist the nighttime urges. You had such great progress and hardwork for the day! Best of luck, can't wait to hear about your planned successful meal tomorrow!
Old 02-21-2008, 05:56 PM   #48  
My Evolution

S/C/G: Size 26/Size 18/Size 8

Height: 4'11"

Clydie--Great job on yesterday and today will be great too.
Tam--What a great example of preventing a binge and being extremely self aware!
Dreamy--No need to apologize. Time gets away from most of us. Thats great about the Y.

I got my first Geneen Roth learning package today. I am determined to finish my IE book first then move on to Geneen. I better get on it. I researched OA meetings and there are tons in Northern VA. I've already chosen the meeting I would attend once I choose to do so.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:27 PM   #49  

Penelope- When I am running around I try to keep a small snack size bag of soy nuts (one or two tablespoons pre-measured) and/or a string cheese (1oz. 70 calories) stick in my bag. The cheese can hang around all day and even be put back in the fridge in my experience if I don't need it. That way I am not trying to figure out what to do. They go great with an apple for a mini meal. Also drink lots of water with it and you will feel nicely satisfied. Great on the $10 Y temporary pass.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:11 PM   #50  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Hi everyone!!!

Penelope, every time I forget to bring food to school with me I buy a bagel and that exact cream cheese you mentioned! You're right it's not the *healthiest* option out there, but if you budget it for your daily intake it's yummy and a cravings buster! It sounds like a good resolution to wait for your boyfriend to start eating your snacks. Congrats on the YMCA news! It will make a world of difference for you, I know it. It's helped me 10000000000000000% to be able to work out my frustrations in the gym rather than in a bag of chips or chocolate, even on the days I really don't feel like going. You can do it!

Tam! It's nice to have you and I see you've already contributed a lot! I like you already Dont ever apologize for being long-winded, many of us on this thread are! Binge-free since 1/5, huh? Congratulations, that's a big accomplishment! Sorry you hit such a craving bump in the road yesterday- how'd that pan out? What kind of class are you teaching?

Clydie, congratulations! You're doing great, keep plugging away and before you know it you'll be at a week... two weeks... and beyond! We know you can do it. I hope your little girl is feeling better!

Shay, how are those tapes going?? How are you doing?

Heather and Golean, congrats on your great days! How are you holding up?

Birgit, your son and I are in the same university system but not the same campus How are you doing, lady???

Everything is okay here. I've had a crazy week and skipped the gym on Monday and Wednesday (I've been trying to skip just one day a week, but that couldn't hold up this week- oh well. I can only do what my schedule permits adn I won't beat myself up). Binge free 21 days now and can hardly believe it. Scale says I'm "up" almost two pounds (grrrrrr) but I know it's PMS related. I'm dreading TOM and crossing every part of my body hoping I can keep it together.

Last edited by djs06; 02-21-2008 at 09:11 PM.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:56 PM   #51  
Birgit

S/C/G: 265/ticker/195

Height: 6'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by likenoother View Post
Birgit, I think I will take the first step by investigating to see where meetings are located here in VA. Will I actually go? I don't know.
You go, Girl! One step at a time. Finding out where and when the meetings are is step one. The next one will come in time. I'll be here rooting for you,
Old 02-21-2008, 09:58 PM   #52  
Birgit

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammay View Post
Hi everyone,

Sorry to be so long here but I just needed to get it all out .

Tam
Tammy, no need to apologize. I am really really glad that you successfully navigated a bunch of minefields in your day. You made the right decisions - Yeah!
Old 02-21-2008, 10:02 PM   #53  
Birgit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClydieCat View Post
I had a binge-free day yesterday & am on track today. My little one seems to be starting to feel better. We nursed at about 4:00am this morning & she went back to sleep until 6:45am, so I was able to do 30 minutes of exercise this morning, uninterrupted! I felt so good about that. I had a work seminar this morning, & of course they had GIANT platters of pastries there. I managed to steer clear & stick to some fresh fruit. Then, of course, the woman I went with wanted to do lunch, but I had a spinach & grilled chicken salad instead of the huge philly cheese steak sandwich that was tempting me Now, I just trying to plan out my evening so I don't derail my day of hard work!
Clydie, I am exhausted just thinking about what your life is like. Nursing a baby from 4am to 6:45, then exercising for 30 mins and then going to a seminar... ohmigawd... How do you do it? Good for you for making healthy food choices in the middle of all that.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:21 PM   #54  
Birgit

Quote:
Originally Posted by djs06 View Post
Hi everyone!!!

It sounds like a good resolution to wait for your boyfriend to start eating your snacks.

[I]Dana, that phrase cracked me up. Wouldn't it be great if all of us resolved to wait for our boyfriends (or someone else) to eat our snacks? Sorry - couldn't resist teasing you a little.[/I]

Birgit, your son and I are in the same university system but not the same campus How are you doing, lady??? I'm doing great. Been walking my little buns off today, taking the long scenic route to work, and taking time during lunch to walk around town. I also make sure to do little work-related errands during the day like going to the post office, etc. Every little step helps - most days I get my full 10k allotment of footsteps on my pedometer. Love it!

Binge free 21 days now and can hardly believe it. Scale says I'm "up" almost two pounds (grrrrrr) but I know it's PMS related. I'm dreading TOM and crossing every part of my body hoping I can keep it together.
Wow - 21 days already! Fantastic!!! Don't pay attention to those 2 lbs - you are clearly doing things right. In a few days all that water will leave your body and I'm sure you will find that you have lost. My grateful to no longer be having to deal with TOM, but the dramatic loss immediately after was always the fun part of it.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:10 PM   #55  

Dana, that phrase cracked me up. Wouldn't it be great if all of us resolved to wait for our boyfriends (or someone else) to eat our snacks? Sorry - couldn't resist teasing you a little.

I knew as I was typing it, it sounded ridiculous in more than one way.. but a little better than saying "good for you for waiting for your boyfriend to eat your nuts"...
(This is me hitting my head against the proverbial desk....)

Good for you for getting all that walking in! And it was COLD today! You're right, every step counts and it sounds like it's making a real impact on your healthy lifestyle. Yay!
Old 02-21-2008, 11:16 PM   #56  

Dana, that phrase cracked me up. Wouldn't it be great if all of us resolved to wait for our boyfriends (or someone else) to eat our snacks? Sorry - couldn't resist teasing you a little.

Oh yes! We should all wait for our sig others to have any food.. which means I should be at goal weight in no time, since I probably won't see Nikki until April or May

Okay, I thought as I was typing it "wow, that sounds ridiculous in more than one way" but slightly (and only very slightly!!!) better than "good for you for waiting for the b/f to eat the nuts" (This is me banging my head against the proverbial desk! Bang bang bang!)

Good for you for walking so much! And it was sooo cold today too! You're absolutely right.. every step helps! All that walking must be doing so much for you. Now what kind of flowers will you be buying tomorrow?
Old 02-22-2008, 10:06 AM   #57  
Birgit

You're right, Dana - "Take 2" was by far the better choice. Don't you just love the written language? So many interesting little nuances...

Well, Y'all - remember those 3#s I lost a couple days ago? At the time I that I stepped on the scale, I still felt kinda "heavy" and I was pretty surprised that the scale showed a 3# loss. This morning I woke up feeling all light and fluffy, and waaayyyy against my much better judgment I decided to step on the scale again to see where I "really" was. In my mind I was expecting to see at least a 20 lb loss . Well - guess what? The scale in fact showed a 3 lb GAIN!!! Now what the heck is that about, huh?

I'm not taking this seriously, of course. I've been doing everything right and there's no reason to have gained 3#s. But the lesson here is that there is NEVER a good reason (for me) to step on the scale more than once or twice a month. When I saw that number this morning, my first impulse was to run to the freezer and work my way through a vat of ice cream slathered in chocolate sauce. Luckily I then got a grip - but still, it was an unpleasant shock, and really pretty unnecessary.

Hope everyone is doing well this morning--
Old 02-22-2008, 03:16 PM   #58  

S/C/G: 256/250/180

Height: 5'10"

Hi, all I'm short on time today, but did want to check in. Hope you are having a great day!

I had a successful day yesterday. Friday's are a hard day for me for some reason (I'm tired after a long week & easily fall into the trap of "I 'deserve' to go out to eat a HUGE meal" - No, what I acutally deserve is to take good care of my body!). But, I feel on track for today. I got 25 minutes of exercise this morning & my eating has been in check.

Thanks for all the well-wishes for my daughter. She is acting like she's feeling much, much better.

And just to echo Birgit - there is also no good reason for me to step on the scale more than once a month (but guess who stepped on it & was disappointed this morning?). I've just got to face the fact that NOT BINGING is my biggest obstacle right now. As long as I keep exercising & keep my eating in check, the weight will come off.
Old 02-22-2008, 03:17 PM   #59  

S/C/G: 140/125/115

Height: 5'4''

I seriously hate the scale so much. I want to bad to just throw it away, but just can't do that. Sandy, I'm glad you were able to resist your impulses.
I wish we could live in a world where the scale didn't exist, for goodness sakes its a stupid number. Yet it manages to control so many emotions.

The weekend is almost here, the hardest time for me. I always seem to binge on the weekend, but I am going to work really really hard not to. Happy Friday All!
Old 02-22-2008, 04:14 PM   #60  

Birgit, oh do I hear you! I weigh daily (which I know is insane, but until a few days ago I thought it would keep me accountable) and the fluctuation is completely inexplicable. It does such damage to your psyche, too.... keep that weighing monthly thing in place, I think. I'm going to try for twice a week (I'm kind of a scale addict, if you haven't picked up on that yet) and hopefully that will help. You hang in there and don't let it get too frustrating! you're doing great.

Clydie, keep going, you're doing great! The scale can do some crazy things to your mind so if you can avoid hopping on too often, I think you're doing yourself a favor. I'm so glad to hear your daughter is doing better!

Golean, happy weekend! Any plans? Weekends are tough for most of us.. the only thing that works for me is planning.

I am going STIR CRAZY. I have a big assignment due Monday that was assigned just today. My topic stinks and I am pmsy and whiny. And it's snowing like crazy outside, I am sooooooooo sick of snow! I couldn't make it to the gym because of the weather, which stinks, becuase when I don't work out in the morning I feel really off kilter eating-wise. I'm going to try and do Turbo Sculpt, but I live on the top floor of an old house and neighbors can hear everything... although the guys who live below me are obnoxious, so I don't care too much if they hear my fat butt bouncing around up here. Maybe I"ll whip out the DDR.

Case of cabin fever.. check! I had a biscotti which was my "splure" for the day but I grazed while I was doing some cooking (luckily it was mostly veggies). Today's a toughie, and I really hope I can stick it out. At least the roads are bad enough so I can't go and buy any junk.

Last edited by djs06; 02-22-2008 at 04:18 PM.
Closed Thread