Old 03-07-2011, 08:25 AM   #1  
Ilene the Bean

Default Primal/Paleo in March 2011!

Wow, March already, we forgot to start a thread Oh, well...

I was doing well at the start of March but this morning I woke up and gained 5lbs over the weekend, I know it's carb bloat but just the same it's discouraging...

Two days of snow storms there is lotsa snow here at the moment!
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:17 AM   #2  
CouponDiva Extroardinaire

Ilene, thanks for starting the march thread.

Don't worry about those carb pounds, they will be off before you know it. When I used to have treat meals I wouldn't weigh for a day or two because as I figure... That number is extremely misleading ( we know it's not 5lbs fat)

I think I decided I will just go back to lowcarb today and get some extra fluids.. I have stuff to do outside the home and I hate feeling sick. Dh needs pants for the funeral which is tomorrow; I can't sew and he usually needs everything tapered and hemmed. Ugh.. And he worst part is he couldn't care less so I am stuck doing all the worrying. If it were up to him he'd wear jeans and a tshirt. I found a pair of pants but I think they're too small for him ..

I don't know whether to try someplace like marks or someplace dressier like moore's. And my mom is sick so I have no one to watch the kids... So have to drag them everywhere with me. Lovely.

I wish I enjoyed drinking liquids but it has always been a struggle . I'm the type of person who can nurse a can of coke zero all day and still have some left over at bedtime.. So it's a lot of effort to make myself drink more. I almost never feel thirsty.

I picked up some caffeine free pop yesterday so I have something to drink besides water, and made a pitcher of sf Koolaid which I am drinking now.

I sure hope i can find pants!!
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:36 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 192/172/150

Height: 5'5"

Hey ladies, I think Gary Taubes is on Dr. Oz today!!!! I can't even watch it because I can't stomach Dr. Oz anymore. I know they are going to slant everything in Dr. Oz's favor which will just upset and anger me........

Let me know if any of you watch it.......
wildviolets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 01:27 PM   #4  

Hm, that should be interesting.. Isn't dr oz anti low carb?? And Gary taubes is not one to back down from a heated debate.. I love gt! Lol

I should see what time he airs today

Thank you for the heads up!

Edit to add: I tweaked a bit and feeling much much better and more energetic!

I am having more protein and still low carbs..for lunch I made "pancakes" with flax and egg and a bit of baking powder and splenda. Topped with butter and sf syrup, they went down awesomely! Having a diet dr pepper now.. Wonder if I'll be up tomorrow?!

Last edited by Natalia; 03-07-2011 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:48 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 287/215/149

Height: 5' 5"

Link to Gary Taubes and Dr. Oz
http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/man-w...ays-wrong-pt-1
CJZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:01 PM   #6  

I love GT! LOL
Saw the segment and it went as I expected, though it was nice to see even Dr Oz admit at the end that some people do better with very low carb diets, but he still has the fear of fat ..
Old 03-07-2011, 07:43 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

I just watched all three segments of Oz v. Taubes. Very interesting -- thanks for sharing! I have some thoughts, but I'll have to post them later.

I canceled my walk because I feel like I'm coming down with a cold. I know why -- too much stress and not enough sleep.

Hoping to fight it off by going to bed early.

Happy belated March to all
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:41 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 305/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

I hit onderland today!

Plus, Dr. Oz is fatphobic...
Sskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:44 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 287/215/149

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sskar View Post
I hit onderland today!
WOW!!!! Sskar, my super congratulations on hitting Onderland!!! What a milestone, you must be so happy and proud. You may just be my motivation to start shrinking again. CJ
CJZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:25 AM   #10  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
I hit onderland today!

Sskar on your hitting onederland... You lost 105 lbs awesome!! I agree with your comment about Oz... I just wish Gary Taubes would have defended the food plan more, like we don't have to eat eggs and sausages or bacon every morning, if we eat grass fed beef and eggs we're ok... And Oz made it look that all he ate was three veggies, kale, spinach and brocoli, NOT!! Fruits are excellent but you have to chose the Lo GI ones... Also he could have had that salmon for supper instead of othat prime rib... Oz always makes himself look so perfect...

Back on track now, took me a while yesterday to get rid of the carb cravings, my best meal was supper and I'm feeling good today now...

Last edited by Ilene; 03-08-2011 at 08:27 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:31 AM   #11  
Ilene the Bean

Oh and another thing that bugged me when Oz was eating his steak and green bean meal, he said he was tired! BS, I am never ever tired or bloated after eating a lo to no carb meal... He was sooo playing it! I like certain segments of his show, they are informative, but he bugs me just the same...
Old 03-08-2011, 09:16 AM   #12  

Sskar- wow!!!!! Welcome to onederland!!!
Look at how far you've come; what an inspiration!

Day 2 update of my fat fast turned fat/light protein fast-
Down a pound! So down 2.8 in two days.. This is a faster loss than I even saw week one of low carbing. I'll finish my experiment and evaluate from there. Maybe my body does best on a super low carb level? Hopefully once I get into maintenance, I will have bigger numbers to work with. Low induction numbers for a lifetime is doable but monotonous! In the book, it gives parameters and even highly metabolically resistant people usually maintain fine on 50 grams or more..
Old 03-08-2011, 09:36 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene View Post
Oh and another thing that bugged me when Oz was eating his steak and green bean meal, he said he was tired! BS, I am never ever tired or bloated after eating a lo to no carb meal... He was sooo playing it! I like certain segments of his show, they are informative, but he bugs me just the same...
Yeah but did you notice the size of the steak? He was probably tired of chewing! With like a 20oz steak on the plate... I have never eaten that kind of portion in my life. Plus at the beginning he let's slip that sometimes I really enjoy eating this way.. I thought the same thing about the salmon, those plates could have been interchanges. At the very least they should have put a huge scoop of brown rice on oz's plate.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:10 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 192/172/150

This is why I wouldn't watch Dr. Oz.....he just FRUSTRATES the heck out of me. I'm not a very good communicater and it's hard for me to stand up to my beliefs and this wol has become a strong belief in me. GRRRR he drives me nuts!

Oh well....congrats on all the weightloss everyone!
wildviolets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 05:52 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Quote:
I hit onderland today!

Woohoo!!! Congrats!

I totally agree with all the comments on the Taubes/Oz match up. First of all, can you say CARB FLU?? Oz kept griping about he felt, but he did this for ONE day with no transition whatsoever. Robb Wolf describes the process very well... your body must transition to running off fats, and for some people that means feeling tired for a period of time. He didn't even mention that, and I wanted to cry foul.

I agree too about the meals. Oz's meals didn't mimic how I eat at all. For one thing, the dinner thing was weird -- he could have easily and healthfully eaten the salmon and veg instead of the steak. It was meant to demonstrate the extremes, but still it annoyed me.

Also, I have never had a pork rind in my life! Primal/paleo is full of fresh vegetables, some fruits, etc, but the show made it look like Taubes just wants people to eat 100% pure meat/cheese/pork rinds, which I have to agree kind of sounds unsustainable. I've been eating delicious primal/paleo foods for 10 months, so I know it's very sustainable and makes ya feel GREAT.

I sure wish he had some of our meals on there! Or some of the lovely creations from this website (scroll down...nom, nom!!!). Or this one... (their recipes are absolutely divine!).

Ah... that got me going.

I got a full 8 hours of sleep last night and feel SO much better. I plan to do the same tonight because I do not have time to be sick right now.

I'm going to do a walk and then fix dinner and try to get to bed early. We are having sauteed kale with lemon juice and garlic and spiced burger patties with mushroom and onions for dinner... maybe frozen raspberries and coconut for dessert...nom nom nom...
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote