Old 03-28-2011, 10:45 AM   #106  
Which round am I at now?

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 5-3/4"

@Ilene: Maison Orphee products are sold at some major grocery chains like IGA, and at health food stores. I frequent 2 on Parc Ave in Mtl. My coconut oil I bought at at a health food store for 12$ Ouch!

You must have a lot of access to local meat sources if you come in from that end While eating on this plan I feel really conscious of all the meat I eat and wish I could be purchasing more free range varieties. I've considered buying Halal (Kosher is more expensive) because the animals, I believe, are slaughtered in a more humane way. Of course, buying grass-fed or free range meat requires me going way out of my way I think I'm going to make a summer project of it.

Hello Serbrider! I'm sure you're going to star feeling much better - by cutting out breads, pastas and dairy I am much less bloated and have better skin, and more consistent energy levels. (I noted I don't get 3pm "naptime" energyless feeling on my plan.) And I'm not gluten intolerant.

I work in a cafe and have discussed it with so many people. Sometimes unsurprising things, like teas, contain gluten, so you're probably going to have to really be aware of how you feel after meals. I've often considered that in my lifetime, most people will realise they have gluten and lactose sensitivity.

So far, I am pretty much just eating meat and vegetables. The vegetables are mostly the steamed green kind or salads. It's been 4 days so far. I feel great, I kind of miss desserts. I also find this way of eating is more expensive.

Last edited by souvenirdarling; 03-28-2011 at 10:49 AM.
souvenirdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:13 AM   #107  

S/C/G: 190/160/130

Height: 5'5"

@Serbrider I've been doing this for almost a month now, tightening up my diet as I go along and figuring out what works best for me.

From everything I've read about Paleo and Primal for weight loss, it seems like you have to just do what works for you. Technically, legumes aren't paleo. They aren't the best form of protein you can get because the ratio of carbs to protein is pretty high. Also, for some people eating too much fruit and nuts seems to stall. The fruit makes sense because its carby, but with the nuts I'm really not too sure why they cause the stall.

At first, I was eating some cheese and other dairy but now I've cut it out. I find that if I'm eating some, I want more. If I'm eating none, I don't crave it.
quiddkidd06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:43 AM   #108  

@serbrider what they said plus, try and find some Paleo sites. I read Robb Wolf's The Paleo Solution and I'm hooked. He also has a good website that has recently added a forum. One forum has great information on where to find some good recipes. Check that out or better yet try and get a hold of his book. There are other good informational books out there also.
It does take some getting use to but don't give up. The best thing for me in the beginning was the loss of cravings. It was such a relieve not to forage through the cupboards every night.
saycindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 03:29 PM   #109  

@serbrider - Mark Sisson's blog Marksdailyapple.com is an excellent resource. You can buy his book, The primal blueprint (which is awesome) but you can pretty much surmise everything that's in it through the blog. There are also great recipes. He isn't completely paleo though as he eats dairy. I've been paleo for 3 weeks today and I've been extremely strict about it. I started a blog to follow my progress and all the pitfalls/benefits that I encounter on a daily basis. At least you could see what you may experience 3 weeks ahead of time! The addy is: paleoforlupus.blogspot.com. Strict paleo includes: meat, fish, shellfish, eggs, veggies, nuts and fruit. No dairy, legumes, things like potatoes, yams, etc. I eat copious amounts of meat (not necessarily lean meats either - fat is good!), almond butter, salads, avocados and coconut oil.

Art De Vany's book "the new evolution diet" is also a great resource and the first book I read on the topic. Also, a must read is Loren Cordain's The Paleo diet.

Good luck, you won't regret it, so far it's about the best thing I've ever done for myself!

Last edited by paleoforlupus; 03-28-2011 at 03:43 PM.
paleoforlupus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 03:53 PM   #110  
Ilene the Bean

@Serbrider I did the Whole30 in January, it's very strict but I loved it and felt really good... I only lost 4 lbs, I think I just ate too many macadamia nuts and almonds, I have to stay away from them or I just eat a ton of them

to our neck of the woods you won't regret your decision to go lo-no-carb... I've been very lo carb for a little over a year now, boy time flies...

I had too many carbs yesterday and was up 3lbs... I'm doing good today though .... Tonight I'm running and going to the gym it's gonna me a good night...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:39 PM   #111  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

@Serbrider - did you take a look at the links I gave you on your other post? I asked, but I don't think you responded (I need to check the thread). I particularly thought you might like the recipe sites for ideas on a typical day AND the link on Carrie Sisson, as she is eats primal/pescatarian (no meat but fish) since you said you have been vegetarian.

Yesterday I had two meals with a snack of kale chips and a dessert of a couple tablespoons coconut milk with almonds. When I woke I had a cup of coffee with coconut milk. For breakfast (couple hours later) we had eggs (omega 3 farm eggs) and bacon (weekend treat) with sliced avocados and a couple cherry tomatoes. This was a late breakfast/brunch. For dinner with had grassfed beef burgers topped with sauteed onions and mushrooms and sauteed cabbage (a huge portion). I had a couple spears leftover asparagus too with dinner. This was a fairly typical day.

I obviously eat meat, eggs, vegetables, fruit and nuts (I don't overdo it on either).

***Also, click on my link on my signature for more on what primal means to me and why I like it. I also have some links there. Ignore the naysayers. Until they have tried this WOE for themselves, I don't think they have authority to judge. I have found that some people are very resistant to new information and change.

@all -- pretty good day, but I want to get to bed early. It's the last week before break so LOTS of crunching and stressing. All the kids who have not turned in work all quarter are now freaking out and wanting to stay after to get "caught up." If only they would do the work the first time around.

Had a leftover burger and cabbage for lunch with yummy Trader Joe's organic pickle on the side (love those). My husband is out tonight, so I think I'm going to have a BAS with hardboiled eggs, avocado, and whatever else I've got.

I'm wanting to go for a little walk, so I'm going to get going.

Hope everyone had a healthy day!

Last edited by walking2lose; 03-28-2011 at 06:46 PM.
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:43 PM   #112  
I like ponies... and you?

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by souvenirdarling View Post
Hello Serbrider! I'm sure you're going to star feeling much better - by cutting out breads, pastas and dairy I am much less bloated and have better skin, and more consistent energy levels. (I noted I don't get 3pm "naptime" energyless feeling on my plan.) And I'm not gluten intolerant.

I work in a cafe and have discussed it with so many people. Sometimes unsurprising things, like teas, contain gluten, so you're probably going to have to really be aware of how you feel after meals. I've often considered that in my lifetime, most people will realise they have gluten and lactose sensitivity.

So far, I am pretty much just eating meat and vegetables. The vegetables are mostly the steamed green kind or salads. It's been 4 days so far. I feel great, I kind of miss desserts. I also find this way of eating is more expensive.
Thanks! Right now I'm still having some dairy... but like I said... very little... a tiny bit of butter here or there... and I had some sour cream mixed with salsa today to make a chip dip. I don't know if I'm going to do purely Paleo right now... but I am trying to eat far more vegetables than anything else... I'm just... I dunno. Eating far less. I haven't counted calories these past fews days... but from going back over all I've eaten, I'm probably actually around 1000... I'm just not as hungry. Which is nice. I still feel icky... but hoping that'll go away soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiddkidd06 View Post
@Serbrider I've been doing this for almost a month now, tightening up my diet as I go along and figuring out what works best for me.

From everything I've read about Paleo and Primal for weight loss, it seems like you have to just do what works for you. Technically, legumes aren't paleo. They aren't the best form of protein you can get because the ratio of carbs to protein is pretty high. Also, for some people eating too much fruit and nuts seems to stall. The fruit makes sense because its carby, but with the nuts I'm really not too sure why they cause the stall.

At first, I was eating some cheese and other dairy but now I've cut it out. I find that if I'm eating some, I want more. If I'm eating none, I don't crave it.
I'm not having that problem with dairy... I've always had less dairy and meat than anybody else in my family... so I'm going to keep them in my diet (for now), and see how it goes. I'm going to keep having legumes right now... even though like you said, aren't the best form of protein... just because I need to keep at least one or two things that I love with me for now... and I like my beans... I don't mind greens and vegetables... but meat... blech. The moment I'm living on my own I'm cutting them out again. I know they're a good source of protein... I just... don't like 'em.

So far I haven't had many nuts or even fruit... unless you count stuff like fruit and fruit product inside of stuff (like banana pancakes with coconut and almond flour... but even that... not a lot of it). I mean... honestly... I haven't had much salad either.... I'm not quite sure exactly what I am eating much of... I'll have to just track it tomorrow... just to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saycindy View Post
@serbrider what they said plus, try and find some Paleo sites. I read Robb Wolf's The Paleo Solution and I'm hooked. He also has a good website that has recently added a forum. One forum has great information on where to find some good recipes. Check that out or better yet try and get a hold of his book. There are other good informational books out there also.
It does take some getting use to but don't give up. The best thing for me in the beginning was the loss of cravings. It was such a relieve not to forage through the cupboards every night.
There are a few links that I have bookmarked (Thanks walking2lose!). I haven't yet had a chance to read them (school and work from 7 AM to 6 PM... and then homework, rest, and sleep... not a ton of time for a bunch of other things), but once I have time (Thursday or Friday), I definitely will.
I do still have cravings... but mostly for my special chocolate I bought (it's not paleo due to dairy content... but with only 5 ingredients... no gluten, even trace amounts, it's my single "unhealthy" thing). BUT... I froze it, and instead of having an entire bar like I used to... I now have only a total of 3-6 squares... depending. So... that's good. I do crave breads... but I know I can't have them. It was torture at work on Saturday, because I work in the mornings, and they always buy us breakfast... usually either bagels... or what it was that day: Kolaches and Donuts. I would walk by the boxes and practically moan... BUT... I got through the day without doing more than opening the box and staring wistfully twice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by paleoforlupus View Post
@serbrider - Mark Sisson's blog Marksdailyapple.com is an excellent resource. You can buy his book, The primal blueprint (which is awesome) but you can pretty much surmise everything that's in it through the blog. There are also great recipes. He isn't completely paleo though as he eats dairy. I've been paleo for 3 weeks today and I've been extremely strict about it. I started a blog to follow my progress and all the pitfalls/benefits that I encounter on a daily basis. At least you could see what you may experience 3 weeks ahead of time! The addy is: paleoforlupus.blogspot.com. Strict paleo includes: meat, fish, shellfish, eggs, veggies, nuts and fruit. No dairy, legumes, things like potatoes, yams, etc. I eat copious amounts of meat (not necessarily lean meats either - fat is good!), almond butter, salads, avocados and coconut oil.

Art De Vany's book "the new evolution diet" is also a great resource and the first book I read on the topic. Also, a must read is Loren Cordain's The Paleo diet.

Good luck, you won't regret it, so far it's about the best thing I've ever done for myself!
Thanks! I'm not in the market to buy any books (I actually need to go through the ones I already have to decide which to take with me to college and which to leave at grandparents' house...)... but I'll see if any of those you suggested are at the local library. I never was a huge fan of meat... but since everything can be personalized... I think I'll stick with what I have now... and personalize it as life goes on. Thanks for the info and the links to blogs! I'll definitely bookmark them and check them out when I have time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene View Post
@Serbrider I did the Whole30 in January, it's very strict but I loved it and felt really good... I only lost 4 lbs, I think I just ate too many macadamia nuts and almonds, I have to stay away from them or I just eat a ton of them

to our neck of the woods you won't regret your decision to go lo-no-carb... I've been very lo carb for a little over a year now, boy time flies...

I had too many carbs yesterday and was up 3lbs... I'm doing good today though .... Tonight I'm running and going to the gym it's gonna me a good night...
I don't know if I'm really all that lo carb (after being on the Atkins for over a year at the age of 10/11... I've had this major mental thing against it... not that I didn't lose weight... but I've never appreciated anything I was forced to do against my will)... and I'm not counting carbs at all... more like avoiding grains and eating less of higher carb items like potatoes, legumes, dairy, etc. I'm trying to change my mindset... but it's been there for 8 years... so... yeah. Thanks so much for the personal testimony and all... I really appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking2lose View Post
@Serbrider - did you take a look at the links I gave you on your other post? I asked, but I don't think you responded (I need to check the thread). I particularly thought you might like the recipe sites for ideas on a typical day AND the link on Carrie Sisson, as she is eats primal/pescatarian (no meat but fish) since you said you have been vegetarian.

I obviously eat meat, eggs, vegetables, fruit and nuts (I don't overdo it on either).

***Also, click on my link on my signature for more on what primal means to me and why I like it. I also have some links there. Ignore the naysayers. Until they have tried this WOE for themselves, I don't think they have authority to judge. I have found that some people are very resistant to new information and change.
Like I said above... I looked at the links... and have bookmarked them... but haven't really had much time to sit down and really peruse them. I thought that Carrie was very cool... and I don't know yet how I'll do it... might just cut out all red meat... not sure. Just taking it one day at a time.

Thanks so much for all of the links, all of the information, etc. I really appreciate it!
Serbrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:04 AM   #113  

S/C/G: 247.6/236.0/135

Height: 5 ft 3 inches

serbrider: all good advice. I did the whole 30 thing too, but slid off more and more. I found it too restrictive for a starting place for me - for others, just fine. We avoid legumes, grains, sugar. We do eat meat, fruit, veg, nuts and seeds (no peanuts), and sparingly honey, real maple syrup and an occasional sprinkle of splenda (very infrequent use of any sweetener - natural or not). I was allowing some room for a breaded meat or a few bites of sweets, but I am actively working on eliminating that. I can't report much as far as weight loss, because of a med I'm on I was in a ravenous weight rocketing up situation, which halted sharply when I went primal.

Today: my suck it up 7 is going well. No cheats to report, and there were opportunities. Bkfst: boston butt smoked hunk, egg omelet with cheese, fried sweet potato, coffee. Lunch: BAS (Big A Salad) with loads of veg, a little ranch, and a pork chop on the side. Supper: on the road, hardees low carb burger, couple fries. Snacks: hot tea, almonds, few extra bites of random meats. I know the fries are not allowable in pure primal, but I've stopped forbidding potato if I don't go too far, and it was a small amount both times. But no grains and no obvious sugars - so I call it success! Now, day 2 - bring it ON!
Arkansas Kel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:52 AM   #114  
Which round am I at now?

I'm glad to hear it's going well, Arkansas Kel! I have to say, I was afraid to commit to a suck it up 7 LOL - is it still a cheat if I'm still under my alotted carbs, calories, etc? Who am I kidding - I'm trying hard not to eat any grains or obvious sugars either And so far, so good.

I have to say, though, I miss dessert the most A lot. I have no cravings, but I was so disappointed that the grocery store is out of raspberries.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:09 AM   #115  
Which round am I at now?

Okay, so I just fried up a tomato mushroom 6 egg omelette using my virgin coconut oil.

Well, it tastes coconutty. Not bad, just different - strange in an omelette? Edible. Even tasty

As it melted in the pan, my mouth watered. How can you guys eat this stuff without craving sweets after???
Old 03-29-2011, 09:46 AM   #116  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by souvenirdarling View Post
Okay, so I just fried up a tomato mushroom 6 egg omelette using my virgin coconut oil.

Well, it tastes coconutty. Not bad, just different - strange in an omelette? Edible. Even tasty

As it melted in the pan, my mouth watered. How can you guys eat this stuff without craving sweets after???
Maybe try finding a coconut oil that doesn`t have the coconut taste, it'll eliminate your cravings... I wouldn't eat it if it gave me cravings...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:12 PM   #117  

S/C/G: 190/160/130

My coconut oil doesn't seem to taste like coconut at all. The brand is Spectrum. I kind of wish mine DID have more of a coconutty taste...
quiddkidd06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:10 PM   #118  

Suck it up 7 - so far so good. Am getting tired of salads. Everytime I don't have much choice on my meal I end up with a salad and it always seems to be iceberg lettuce salads. :*( Today: Bkfst: mango, smoked pork boston butt, eggs fried in ghee, little bit sweet potato, lot of coffee lunch: pale salad (iceberg) loaded with primal veg at the salad bar plus ranch, pineapple, cheese cubes, unsweet tea. Snack: grapes. 2nd snack: lara bar when sugar bottomed out helping decorate for a party tomorrow. Supper: BBQ restaurant - bbq salad, unsweet tea. Just now ate a couple cashews. And later hot tea. Right now I'm quite full. Am tiring of salads though. Here's hoping tomorrow has better options!

I use spectrum coconut oil. Has a faint coconut taste to me, but doesn't overpower most foods I've tried to cook in it. Sometimes I mix it 1/2 and 1/2 with another fat if what I'm cooking is really mild flavored and I'm worried about the coconut flavor.

souvenirdarling: Dessert - if u eat bananas I would recommend caveman custard - it's mild sweet, but the only sweet is banana. Will double post to include recipe done my way.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:15 PM   #119  

http://www.sonofgrok.com/2009/06/caveman-custard/

This is the link for CAVEMAN CUSTARD. I add vanilla and nutmeg also. DH gave it 2 clubs up!

Another dessert suggestion - smash up bananas and freeze in popsicle molds - u don't have to add anything but vanilla is good in it. Tastes like banana pudding pops. Just smash, freeze, and eat!
Old 03-29-2011, 08:46 PM   #120  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

13 hour work day. Struggling for energy to make something to eat (no interest in cooking the thawed ground venison in my fridge).

Decided to go meatless -- sauteeing kale in coconut oil AND bacon drippings (my coconut oil has a mild taste, but I cook eggs in bacon drippings or Kerrygold butter). Will top with canned garden tomatoes, avocado, and a couple of fried eggs.

Starving!!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote