Old 10-01-2008, 11:03 AM   #1  

Height: 5'3"

Default October Calorie Counters

I thought since today is the 1st of October I would start the new monthly thread.

Last night I bought The Biggest Loser Calorie Counting Guide and I highly recommend it to anyway who is counting calories and cannot, for whatever reason, get a copy of the CalorieKing guide.

It is great for checking the calorie counts on so many basic foods. They have one whole page for eggs alone.

I've been sitting looking it over and using my highlighter to highlight the foods I normally eat.
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:52 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

Just thought I'd drop in and say "Hi."

Welcome to all the new calorie counters!
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 04:20 PM   #3  
Mom jeans are cool,right?

S/C/G: +24/+12.6/0

Hi everyone! I cannot seem to stay up on my forums lately. I bought the book "Best hikes with Kids: Oregon" (they have a best hikes with dogs too!) and the kids and I have been going down the list and having so much fun.

I even bought a small camping trailer so we could get to some of the further trails.

The kids are slow and we can't do more than two miles but its better than what I had been doing...nothing.

Is anyone else annoyed by the jack in the box ads on Fitday?? Those little taco pics make me want one and that is just not right for a weightloss site!

I don't want to buy the program since I like logging on from anywhere.

Hope all is well with everyone. I'm down to 163 and still hoping to see the 150s soon.
CoolMom75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 04:46 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolMom75 View Post
Is anyone else annoyed by the jack in the box ads on Fitday?? Those little taco pics make me want one and that is just not right for a weightloss site!

I don't want to buy the program since I like logging on from anywhere.
Might I suggest you download Modzilla Firefox and use that as your browser instead of Internet Explorer? It's free. They have a great ad blocker feature. In fact, I'd completely forgotten that fitday had ads until you mentioned that. Dh and I have been using Firefox for years. I'm always surprised when I do use another browser at how many ads there are everywhere online. You never see them with Firefox.

I'm not affiliated, btw. I just love the browser.

Last edited by zenor77; 10-01-2008 at 04:47 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-01-2008, 07:05 PM   #5  
Go Cubs Go!

S/C/G: Too/Effing/Much!

Height: 5' 7"

Get over us, with our shiny new thread.

Hello and welcome to the new calorie counters among us. I also want to add that 500 to 700 calories a day isn't doable over the long term. A fast initial weigh loss, followed by a huge crash and rapid re gain with a whole bunch of extra weight tacked on for good measure has always been the result when I attempted to so drastically restrict my calories. So, please, think about it and see if a higher, more healthy target range wouldn't work better for you.

I hope everyone is having a good day, today. I am on track, got 50 minutes of cardio in and have already gulped my water requirements for the day. I have a bad head today. Really bad. I was seriously considering skipping my exercise and just vegging in a dark room.

Okay, must run. Stuff to do. I'll see you all later.

Last edited by Rain Dancer; 10-01-2008 at 07:06 PM.
Rain Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 08:39 PM   #6  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

HI and welcome to our new posters.

Zenor, I use Modzilla Firefox and you're right about the ads. Very little advertising on any sites. My sons are computer people and keep me all updated on the "best" internet options.

This plateau I'm on will end someday. I wish someday was today. In the meantime I plod on with my exercise and calorie counting. But right now I'm so sleepy I'm ready for bed but have to stay up another little while.

Catch you all later when I'm a bit more lucid and bright-eyed.
retiredone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:23 PM   #7  

zenor, I use Firefox and I still see them. Hmm. I just downloaded the updated version not too long ago. Maybe I need to download an extra ad blocker? The ads are on the actual page, not pop-ups.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:44 PM   #8  

My Dh said it's an extra widget. He says you want AdBlocker Plus on filter set G. Hope that helps.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:38 PM   #9  

OMG!!! This is awesome! no ads at all! websites look so clean and un-annoying. Zenor thank you and tell dh thank you too.

Last edited by CoolMom75; 10-01-2008 at 11:48 PM.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:20 AM   #10  
Go Cubs Go!

S/C/G: Too/Effing/Much!

Height: 5' 7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredone View Post
Catch you all later when I'm a bit more lucid and bright-eyed.
Yeah... Good luck with that.
Rain Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:22 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 225/?/155

Height: 5'7"

Hi everyone!! Happy October!! The weather is getting crisp and I like that... makes for good weather to walk in. I am trying to step up my walking efforts but that is not working all that well. I have not lost anymore weight although I am eating between 1200 and 1400 calories everyday with my one day off... I am not worried... maybe the scale will surprise me next week and give me 2 or 3 lbs at once...
didjaever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 12:07 PM   #12  

Height: 5'3"

Default Adding up the math

I'm fooling around with my Biggest Loser calorie counting book and math.

I noticed in the book that the calorie count for a sugar cube is 10 calories. That is one sugar cube folks!

Now if I had 2 cubes per tea and say.....let's throw out a number here.....5 cups of green tea per day....that would be 100 calories in a day. 100 calories that I could spend by eating fruits and veggies instead.

Now I very rarely have 2 sugar cubes in a cup of tea. I normally just drink it unsweetened because I like it that way but seeing 10 calories per sugar cube in the book just got me thinking.

Thge little things certainly can add up, eh.
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:18 PM   #13  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Yes, Miss Canada, it's the little things that really add up. I love little nibbly things to eat and 1 tortilla chip is over 20 calories and who can eat only one. And then of course I need a little bit of cheese with that and by the time I'm finished I'm way over 100 calories and not even full.

Gotta go, mother is calling.
retiredone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:05 PM   #14  

Oh, thanks for that tip on the calorie counting book! I was relying solely on the 3 Fat Chicks link but....lost my Internet access for a few days and was LOST when it came to calorie counting! I've learned from my mistake and will go get that book so I have access to calorie counts no matter whether my Internet is working!

I'm in week 2 of counting calories. I totally did not meet my goals last week, but was spending more time learning than getting it totally right. This week, I have a meal plan, I have my calories spread out over the day in a way that is more realistic, and I'm doing much better getting protein.

I met my goal of 1500 calories on Mon - Wed. but today I lost it a bit when the kids had pizza for dinner...I had a few and blew away the calorie count. But that's ok - just one day out of 4! I'm still working out using The Firm rotations about 4 days a week. Hoping I can keep up the momentum!
healtheeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 07:25 AM   #15  

Height: 5'7"

I read in the dr office one day that an average bite of snacky food is 25 calories per bite. Wow that was an eye opener!!4 bites and you have 100 calories of food you dont even feel like you had. I set firm rules on only eating at the table. No standing and taking bites of food. No licking my fingers after fixing hubbys lunch..no chips off his plate. I think that has been the biggest change for me..you think..just one chips wont hurt. But it sure adds calories fast!!
scales appear stuck as Tom approaches....
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote