The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 11-07-2005, 10:52 AM   #91  

Jillian,

It has been said over and over but you truly do Rock! I am a lifetime lurker on forums and this is the first time I have been compelled to register and join in. I have read all your posts and find them all inspirational, however the quote below really compelled me to write, because that is exactly how I feel. As a woman with a full time job, three kids,a husband and a dog, I spend my life taking care of others, as do many of the women on this board, I bet. I know in my heart that I should be giving myself time to care for me, the problem is, I have struggled all my life believing that I am worth it.

However, I do feel like I am starting to "get it" and when you said in your post below that when you don't feel good about your body, other areas of your life suffer, I got it even more. The few times I have been at a weight I am comfortable at, my confidence soars and I am better at everything I do, my job, a better mom, a better friend, wife, sister, daughter blah blah blah. You know what I am talking about.

I am really looking forward to seeing your "fat" picture posted, sounds strange, I know, but that will be a huge motivation for me. I have carried around the same 25-40 pounds of extra weight for many, many years, I lose some and then get nervous, or don't believe I can (or am worthy of) losing any more. I have had it, I am fed up with this and want to have the body I know I can (and deserve - see I am getting it!!) I have your book, have ordered your tapes and can't wait to bite this bullet.

I guess I don't really have a question, I just wanted to thank you so very much for taking the time to answer all of our questions on this board and for being such an inspiration and motivation. Your no-nonsense, honest and caring approach is much appreciated.

Patricia

Quote:
I think about how I want to feel about my body. Honestly, when I don't feel good about myself physically I am less comfortable in every aspect of my life. My love life suffers. I get insecure professionaly etc. I tell myself everytime I head out the door to the gym - you are gonna feel so good when this is over. Then I start to think about all the things that will come from me going. I visualize my body strong and fit. I think about how if I look healthy it will motivate others etc.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:31 PM   #92  
Choc Thunder

S/C/G: 256/ticker/180

Height: 5'5"

Default Question re: caloric intake

Hi Jillian,

Just got your book and read it from cover to cover. Awesome. My question is one that someone else asked you but I didn't see the answer to it. If you've answered it already please forgive my oversight.

In your book you provide a formula for figuring out my AMR, and then it says to subtract 3500 cals from that if you want to lose a lb per wk, and to subtract 7000 cals if you want to lose 2 lbs, but never to eat below 1200 cals per day. After subtracting the 3500 cals for 1 lb per wk I am already well below the 1200 cals eaten per day. Am I doing something wrong?
Old 11-08-2005, 12:41 PM   #93  

Default AMR question

Carmen - what did you figure out your AMR to be? Make sure you are subtracting 3500 calories for the entire week, so that's your AMR x 7, less 3500 or 7000. If that's what you figured, perhaps there was a miscalculation somewhere when doing the AMR?
Old 11-08-2005, 01:40 PM   #94  
Choc Thunder

S/C/G: 256/ticker/180

Height: 5'5"

PB - I just recalcutated it. I did make a mistake before, but it looks like my AMR is still too low to shoot for a 2 lb per wk loss. My AMR is 2078. Times 7 is 14546. Subtract 7000 (2 lbs/ wk) = 7546. Divided by 7 = 1078. Should I only be concentrating on losing 1 lb per wk?
Old 11-08-2005, 02:40 PM   #95  

Default re: AMR, etc

Hi Carmen,

Hopefully Jillian can clarify this... since this is just my interpretation of the book. I think when she says don't go under 1200, she means as far as eating and lack of eating. I *think* if you want to go under 1200 calories a day, that means, eat 1200 at least, but then exercise the rest of those calories off to make up for your deficit.

Does that sound right, anyone else?

Old 11-09-2005, 12:57 AM   #96  

Hey there hotties... was up? Checkin in on ya!

Ok - I have been trying to post my freakin fat photo and it's too big so I am having a friend who knows computers size it down for me - hang in there, it's comin.

And now to business...

Rankle - You sound like a balanced oxidizer to me. Your written test came out balanced. Then you show all the signs of someone who doesn't function well on zero carb diets, but additionally you have a significant reaction to the niacin. I would definately go with a 40 30 30 ratio of carbs, fat, protein and let's see how you feel and how the weight comes off. If the results aren't good we can tweak and make changes then.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:04 AM   #97  

Skinny J - I actually don't recalculate my peoples calories until I put them on a maintenance diet. I establish a calorie floor of 1200 for all my ladies NO MATTER WHAT (1500 for men) and then a calorie cieling, which I base on their BMR (typically). Your BMR really won't change all that much unless you have lost a HUGE amount of weight like 50 plus pounds. The one thing I do with my peeps is to vary their calorie intake daily. I go from their calorie floor and their BMR throughout the entire time we are trying to lose weight. I do this so their body can't adjust to the constant reduction of calories and cause their metabolism to slow down. Once you hit your goal weight, take your calories up to your AMR and this will allow you to maintain your weight. Does this make sense?
Old 11-09-2005, 01:08 AM   #98  

Rocker - it seems like you are finally getting a little movement on the scale. I know this is gonna sound drastic, but I want you to cut carbs for 5 days. Drink tons of water and cut sodium as well. I actually want you to "diet" for 5 days - as much as I hate that word. Go with leaner proteins and veggies - only for 5 days. I think this should shock your system a little and mix things up. If you feel terrible or lethargic let me know, but if not let's give it a whirl and see if it works. Also - I want you to take your cals down to 1300. Once again - don't panic it's only for 5 days. Then let's see how your body reacts and go from there.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:10 AM   #99  

Ledom - Thanks for taking the time to read my answers! I am so happy they are motivating you in some small way :-)

Jen - how's it going mommy? You burnin it up at the gym or what??? Still scared or taking no prisoners?
Old 11-09-2005, 01:18 AM   #100  

Dearest Alisa...

What's a tog? Thanks so much for the lounge tip. I will make sure to fill Bob in on the appropriate lingo asap... NOT ;-)

As for the BL site... I DID NOT WRITE MOST OFF THE STUFF ON THAT SITE i.e. diet / exercise regimen you find on their site. In some cases, they would take random diets that I would design weekly for contestants and post it on their site. For example, the diet they have up there now as "Jillian's Red Team Diet" was something I created specifically for Lizzeth from Season 1. First I don't believe in a one size fits all approach to nutrition. In other words, I would not have people eating the same foods nor would I have them on the same calorie allowances. As for the working out - DO NOT DO IT ON AN EMPTY STOMACH. That is something that the Blue Team did on season 1. Not the red team. In my book I specifically say not to do this for a multitude of reasons, one of which is the one you mentioned (low blood sugar). I tell my peeps to eat about 45 minutes before we train. This will also give you more energy to burn more calories during your workout and it will make you less likely to metabolize lean muscle tissue.

Hope that helps clarify a bit...:-)
Keep those Aussie tips comin'!
Old 11-09-2005, 01:21 AM   #101  

Smile Togs

Hiya,

Haven't finished reading your post yet but while you're here I thought I'd quickly reply to your tog question.

Always referred to in the plural form togs are your swimmers.

Sincerely, your Aussie guide extraordinare.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:23 AM   #102  

Dear Patty - They sold out of my book at Walmart??? YAY YAY YAY... ok - so sorry I need to have a wildly obnoxious moment.

If it isn't there in the next day or so let me know I will send ya a copy myself! I am so glad that motivation post spoke to you. It's all true, babe. YOU are the reason to get up every day and make it happen. YOU are worth it. YOU deserve every wonderful thing life has to offer and all you have to do is believe in your ability to have it.

Anyway, if you can't find the book let me know! I'll hook it up for you. Big kisses and hugs your way.

J
Old 11-09-2005, 01:25 AM   #103  

Thanks for the answer bout eating before you work out. I've always been confused about that since everywhere you turn someone's saying something different about it. Just wanted to say hi since i see your a night owl like me and i hope you got the private message

Last edited by mavrneen; 11-09-2005 at 01:27 AM.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:29 AM   #104  

Amy - can I call ya Ames for short? That's not shorter at all is it... it's actually longer I guess. Ok, back to Amy.

So Amy - You are not back to square on at all momma because now you know that you can lose weight - you did it before you'll do it again. Losing 17 lbs in 6 weeks is amazingly fast! You can do it again and you will... when you are ready and you sound ready. Don't be pissed at yourself - there is no reason for that. Beating yourself up is not productive in ANY way. We all go up and down in our weight. Me included! I am always putting on and taking off about 10 lbs. Seriously, no worries baby. Hit the gym tomorrow and jump back in - the waters fine... promise.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:33 AM   #105  

Thumbs up Thanks

Definitely clarified. Makes me happy too because my body is much happier that way. You know I've even been to health retreats (fat farms) where they wanted me to get up and workout before breakfast and then they'd claim I was faking it when I told them I was feeling dizzy etc. and felt I should eat first. They said unless I had diabetes I didn't need to. Sheesh.

Thankyou thankyou thankyou.

I was excited to hear about the Aussie BL. I thought I'd love to be on Jillian's team cause she seems really tough and I like to be pushed hard. Then I read the diet plan under your name on the website and thought oh no what would she say if I didn't want to work out first thing, I was worried. Still with all this worry I applied anyway.

Now I'm rambling. Thanks again, have a good one.