The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 11-17-2005, 11:17 AM   #166  

Lightbulb Petra

You mentioned 40-30-30. I had that book and I thought it was great too. I didn't stick with it (clearly that is my problem and hopefully Jillian's book will help me) . . . anyway I really like the WW points system. It is just easier to figure out what I can and can't have.

So, what if I tried to put the two programs together??

After I read Jillian's book I bet I will probably have to tweak my daily calorie intake because I think, from my experience, that I do best varying my intake each day.

I get 24 points:

if I tried to put WW and 40-30-30 together I would get

10 points of carbs
7 points of protein
7 points of fat

I would have to make sure that I kept that ratio for each meal which may be more difficult than it appears.

What do you think??
Old 11-17-2005, 11:47 AM   #167  
Determined

Hey Gina - This is just my opinion, Jillian or others feel free to disagree. I love Jillian's plan and thing that it is very valid that different ways of eating are better for different body types. However, I think it's most important you get on a plan you can stick with. I am also supposed to be on the 40-30-30 plan. I do it to the best of my ability but I don't stress if my percentages aren't right on every day. I subscribed to diet power (50 dollars for the software and a back up) and it creates a pie graph every day that lets me know my percentages. Most days, I'm close and I'm having success that way. Other than that I just focus on getting protein in at every meal and snack whereas they used to be more like popcorn or crackers. It has improved my energy level a lot. Anyway, I think it's mroe important that you be able to stay committed to healthy eating and a lifestyle change than exact percentaes, especially if that feels too stressful for you. Good luck!
Old 11-17-2005, 03:14 PM   #168  

Phatbutt - I DO NOT LIKE your log in name... can't we give you a new nick name....? Something that suggests your resolve, wit, intelligence and beauty. How about Smart *** :-) or Bootylicious. I simply can't bare responding to you with the name "PHATBUTT". Ok, now to your question - People who have reduced their calories on starvation diets or even those who have battled with eating disorders generally will damage their metabolism and slow it down. This is not permanant, however in order to bring your metabolism back up to speed you have to GRADUALLY increase your calorie intake - about 100 calories every two weeks until you work back up to at least 1200. Also, the only way to get your metabolic engine firing again quickly is EXERCISE. This will help you start gaining a some of your lean tissue back (starvation diets cause a big loss of lean muscle) and it will help you burn calories while you are doing it and even boost your metabolism for up to 24 hours after.

Don't be discouraged by the scale. It can generally take up to two months to get your body regulated again. Just know that even though the scale might not reflect progress you are actively healing your body and gaining strength every day.

Soon enough that scale will go down if you can tolerate the adjustment period.

xo - j
Old 11-17-2005, 03:20 PM   #169  

ozlosertobe -

AHHHH stretch marks... things of beauty... REALLY - I'm serious. I like stretch marks and scars. No- I am not some sorta sick pervert. Hear me out on this. Stretch marks and scars are signs of strength. They show that you are a survivor. They are a reflection of your resiliance and power. I have them as well - I know you probably don't believe me but they are striped across my hips and I wear them like a badge of honor :-) Honestly - they remind me of where I have come from and for that I embrace them.

xo
j

P.S. please don't make me post a picture of the stretch marks - the pre-nose job photo had to be enough to last us at least a couple of months ;-)
Old 11-17-2005, 03:28 PM   #170  

RachelleS -

Medications and hormones can definately throw off your metabolism. One of the obvious culprits is the hysterectomy. That will definately make it a little more difficult to lose the weight.

Here is the thing - there is no magic bullet :-( GOD DO I WISH THERE WAS. The only way to get it off is to watch your calories and up your exercise. The first thing in my book (nutrition section) is to help you figure out how many calories to eat. So that's what I recommend to you. Figure out if you are possibly overeating.

Next question is how active are you? Do you exercise 3-4 times per week? If so for how long. My next recommendation is get to the gym at least 4 hours a week.

I know the hysterectomy can slow down weight loss, BUT it can be done. You can lose the weight it is just going to take a little more elbow grease and strong resolve.
THERE is a great support group here on this site. We are all here to encourage you and keep you going. What you need to do now is a little recon on your calories and hit the gym... a.s.a.p.

I know this isn't the magic solution or excuse you were looking for, but I hope it has provided some small bit of motivation and validation.

xo
j
Old 11-17-2005, 05:04 PM   #171  

Thumbs up Wow!

Hi to all

I've been a lurker on this message board for a very long time, but since reading Jillian's book and doing her "Shape Up" dvd's for the past two weeks I just HAD to chime in.

I'm 5'5" and weigh in at 265 pounds :::sigh::: and like many, I've tried a million different things to get myself on track and lose weight. Now, thanks to Jillian, I've really been able to step up to the plate.

In only two weeks of doing her dvd's and an extra hour of cardio before bed at night (I know, definitely not the norm, but it works great for me - I sleep like the dead afterwards!) I have lost 18 pounds! I know a lot of it was probably water, but I am just ecstatic because this is the first time in many, many years that I've seen such substantial results.

I absolutely love the dvd's because all you need is a step and some light dumbells and you're good to go - it's almost as good as having her in the room kicking you in the rear! For me they were the perfect answer because they keep me in the zone and I'm not stopping to page through the book and slowing myself down...

Lastly, but most importantly, a HUGE thank you to Jillian You just have no idea how much you've helped and inspired me - you are incredibly beautiful inside and out and you have motivated me more than you can possibly imagine! Thank You, Thank You Jillian!!!!!!!!
Old 11-17-2005, 05:13 PM   #172  

Default hehehehehe

Jillian - The first thing that really stood out in your book when I read it was the whole "is your email address fatty@...?" I was like uh oh, guilty as charged!

I do have a very self-depricating sense of humor. But I always have, even when I was 115 lbs. (My favorite used to be "I could have been a model, you know. Except for one thing. Too ugly.") But I took the advice into consideration, and my private journal is a bit more on the positive side!

I'm not sure if I can change my name here, but I'll look into it. Maybe I can just say by "phat" I mean the GOOD "phat". Like, hey, that's awesome, that's phat!

Anyone buying that?

Thanks for the answer, Jillian! I have bought the shape-up front and back DVDs and I plan to put them into use very very soon.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:42 PM   #173  

Thank you Jillian for your post. I really appreciate it.

I knew there wasn't a magic bullet - the person would be super rich though if they could find it. Every person is so different though that it would take many bullets to work for each one.

Before my surgery, for a year and a half, I exercised for 60 to 70 minutes 5 to 6 times a week. Since the surgery, I have been building up to and I am now exercising 30 to 55 minutes 4 to 5 times a week and walking twice a week for four miles (except for the last few weeks as I injuried my foot). When I was exercising the hour or more (I varied from doing cardio one night, weights the next to doing cardio and one body part each night) - I didn't get anywhere. I was doing fitday and have been doing it here and there lately but need to get back into doing it every day. My downfall is that I eat basically the same things every day.

Thank you again Jillian. I will check your book out.

Rachelle
Old 11-17-2005, 05:56 PM   #174  

Hi all! This is my first post and as many of you, I simply HAD to join because Jillian is awesome! All of you women are inspirational and beautiful, shape and size regardless, thank you for sharing.

JILLIAN, do you ever get bored of people singing your praises? Well let me "bore" you for a moment and say WOW, thank you for putting yourself out there and allowing everyone access to a wonderful mind and heart. You are clearly making a difference in peoples lives. If we could all say we touched even one person we're good....which means you, my friend, are Very Good (understatement obvious).

Heres my question: I am 5'5 135lbs and fairly "muscular" my "problem" is that I can't seem to shed that layer of fat (bodyfat approx 26%) that hides my muscle. I love distance running and have completed a marathon. I am not fast, AT ALL, but love that slow running that goes on forever, me my headphones and the outside. Love it! I have been a healthy person all my life. I had 2 kiddlings back to back (10 months, yes, I know, I got pregnant, 4 weeks after giving birth!!) Yes, it was planned and I love my little Irish Twins! Anyway, ever since I have been unable to get that chubbiness off.There 5 now, so the time excuse I would say, has expired. Some would say I'm fine and I appreciate that. I'm just uncomfortable with the pooch, that I see as a full grown DOG, that rolls over the top of my jeans. My legs are thick with not just muscle but that "excess uck" My dream is not to be stick thin, also uck in my opinion. What I would like is to slip on a pair of shorts and a tank, tuck and go without giving a second thought. Get it? I can run 10 miles at a time and lifts some pretty heavy numbers, I don't eat junk and I have tried upping cals, lowering cals, playing with ratios, nothing seems to help.
I have been told everything from run long distances at a slower heart rate, run sprint intervals till you drop, eat less carbs, eat more carbs, eat higher cals to fuel your long runs and your body'll become a burning machine, cut the cardio and lift heavy and just eat protien, you get the idea. Once and for all, can you, In your fab opinion, give it to me straight, I'm getting tired of hearing all the varying and conflicting opinions. ADVICE PLEASE and THANK YOU!!!!!

Last edited by TheLast10; 11-17-2005 at 06:02 PM.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:49 PM   #175  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatButt
I'm not sure if I can change my name here, but I'll look into it. Maybe I can just say by "phat" I mean the GOOD "phat". Like, hey, that's awesome, that's phat!
If you PM Suzanne she will change it for you.... I agree it's a very negative name .... We should all be our own best friend. Would your best friend tell you your fat and scrutinize everylittle detail of your body in a negative way? I doubt it, she would try to give some more positive comments...
Old 11-17-2005, 07:29 PM   #176  

Rachelle S - I didn't see Petra's answer... Damn she's good.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:58 PM   #177  

SAJ-

My take on the juice a.k.a booze... an occasionaly necessary evil. Alcohol is NOT condusive to weight loss... however, an occasional indulgence is fine and sometimes essential for mental sanity :-) Here are a few guidelines that I try to adhere to:

1. Don't have alcoholic beverages with sugar or high calorie mixers like juice or soda.
For example have a rum and diet coke or vodka martini or tequila shots. A glass of wine or a light beer. AVOID margaritas, beer, vodka and cranberry, white russian.

2. Try to only drink one night a week and when you do don't over indulge. Try to keep it to one night a week with a two drink max.

As for my "transformation" it took YEARS. I hit my personal bottom when I was 14 years old. At that point my martial arts instructor was instrumental in helping to educate me about diet and exercise. I lost about 25 lbs from 14-16 and got down to about 130. Then in my 20's I struggled and struggled to get down to 115. This is really what my book is about and where my knowledge about weight loss comes from. It comes from my 16 year struggle with my own weight. My quest for answers. I read every weight loss book, tried every supplement and fad diet, did every new trendy workout craze. By applying all these different methods and techniques to myself and my clients I learned what worked and why. I have also had the luxury to consult with the most prominent registered dieticians, sports medicine doctors, and biochemists to provide answers for me when I got confused.

Ok - sorry that was a long one.

Hope that helps answer your question.

xo
j
Old 11-17-2005, 08:07 PM   #178  

To Kristin and Got2lose -

I just want to take a sec and address the oxidizer test. This test is not in anyway meant to make you feel as though it is the ONLY way you should be eating. It is simply there to educate you about your body and what the ideal foods are for your biochemistry. I also put the test in my book to try and explain to people why certain fad diets like Atkins or Zone worked well for some and not others etc.

The metabolic test is a suggestion at a diet that would give you optimum energy and max out your metabolism. Having said that - the golden rule is calories in calories out. You can work any food you like into your lifestyle as long as you watch your calories.

I am still gonna answer your questions though :-) Breakfast ideas for slow oxidizers: Fruit, Whole Grain cereals like Kashi Go Lean, Whole grain toast (like ezekial bread) with a little p-nut butter, sugar free jam, or non fat cream cheese. A whole grain english muffin with egg whites.

Proteins for fast oxidizers - you can eat any protein you like. The suggestion is just that the fattier proteins will keep you satiated longer. Do you like steak, salmon, or lamb? Eggs are also good. Either way - you MUST eat foods you like or you will not be able to create a lifestyle you can stick to. At the end of the day just watch your calories.

:-D
Old 11-18-2005, 01:53 AM   #179  

Veggiesmom: you are doing so well! The changes you are making are inspirational. What do you think of the dvd’s??

Happydaisy , you are so right! I didn’t realize how hard it was going to be until I sat down and created a spreadsheet that calculates the percentages and weight watchers points. Almost all of my recipes are too high in carbs. I hope once I get the book that I will find that I will do better on a different plan!! Thank you for your input.

Tonight I went to a franchise called Super Suppers. It is really like having a host that has everything ready (vegetables chopped and everything is organized and ready to go) so that it is simple to put together meals that are put in the freezer and ready to go. I really feel that planning is essential for me. I think many of us know how easy it is to grab the wrong type of food if the right food is too difficult. The nutritional information was on the web site so I was able to figure out which meals would work best for me. I highly recommend it.
Old 11-18-2005, 06:05 AM   #180  

Exclamation

Oh Jillian perhaps one day I will look down on those stretch marks and fondly remember the good old days when I was fat and had no life.

And everyone sit down before you read this.... I wasn't chosen for the show!! What were those producers thinking! Now I have to go and continue reading the book, crikey! OK page 101 here I come.

And I'd also like to point out that no-one has acknowledged my bookworm picture. Yeah nice one, the thought that went into that eh!

So Jillian; filming starts Dec 8, you should start packing. My family has a restaurant in Sydney, when you have a free day I'll shout you lunch.

Last edited by OzLoserToBe; 11-18-2005 at 06:11 AM.