The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 05-04-2009, 10:29 PM   #76  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I'm rooting for Tara.

I finally understand that term "haters" (or "haterz," as I see it written online sometimes). Blonde overachievers like Tara are exactly what the "haters" can't stand. I'll admit I had some difficulty with her myself in the beginning. But she won me over completely by her dedication & single-mindedness & by her refusal to engage in any stereotypically female softness or coyness. She works like a horse. She has focus. I can relate all too well to her breakdown moments, too. Some of the most interesting interactions this season have occurred between her & Jillian. Because it's the opposite of a trainer trying to motivate someone who's lazy or self-doubting. Instead, she tries to steady Tara & keep her from overdoing it compulsively. I am trying to take some life lessons from this.

Mike's likeable, but I just don't relate as closely to him. And there's the Icky Father Factor to contend with. Ron defines passive-aggressive hypocrisy for me. He plays the wise, benevolent patriarch when he's really working the game. Mike called him a chess master. It's an interesting type, but as far as this show goes, I'm all in favor of the more open, hard-working, heavily sweating winners than the manipulative, making-the-right-moves winners. I'm rooting on the base of athleticism rather than gamesmanship.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:34 PM   #77  
Weight Loss; Control Gain

S/C/G: ?/?/130

Height: 4'11"

Ron should have been gone a long time ago.
I just kept waiting for Filepe to bring his game, and he never did.
Tara has won everything else, I don't see why she wouldn't win the entire thing. I really don't like her teeth (petty I know) and she is very confident and cocky for someone that was supposed to have low self esteem.
I really liked Kristin, wish she could have stayed to win it.
I wonder if Joelle will come back for the finale - LOL.
Mike is ok, and I hope he wins it - over the choices we are left with. I think he picked ups Kristin's accent --- it's a bit much how they both OVER pronounce ever word.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:13 AM   #78  
Woman On A Mission

S/C/G: 160/Ticker/125

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixjean View Post
I really liked Kristin, wish she could have stayed to win it.
I wonder if Joelle will come back for the finale - LOL.
I got my BF into TBL and he HATED Kristin...he was doing a jig when she got the boot.

Joelle probably didn't do a darn thing...It will be interesting to see her. I think they are contractually obligated to return for the finale.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:53 AM   #79  

Wow!! It's almost time for the finale. I'm excited to see who will win and to start a new season soon.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:18 AM   #80  
Starting Over...

S/C/G: 256/ticker/156

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacque9999 View Post
I got my BF into TBL and he HATED Kristin...he was doing a jig when she got the boot.

Joelle probably didn't do a darn thing...It will be interesting to see her. I think they are contractually obligated to return for the finale.
I know in past seasons there were people who did not show up to the finale. Probably because they got sent home, sat around and lost nothing, and didn't want to be publicly humiliated on live tv in front of millions of people.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:10 PM   #81  

S/C/G: 250/173.6/145

Height: 5'7"

Yes, I'm curious if David will show up. I'm guessing he will since he was willing to come back at the mid-point. Hopefully he has made a change for the better.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:48 PM   #82  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

If Carla and Joelle both show up, will they even speak to each other? Will they give each other death stares or will there be a tearful reconciliation?

I hope Jerry & Estelle look wonderful & are in superb health. I know Estelle seemed to be doing pretty well a few episodes ago.

I wish nothing but the best to the two guys in the Orange Team. I found them engaging & they went far too soon. I hope they see Mike as an inspiration for their futures.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:51 PM   #83  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

So is the finale TONIGHT...or are they doing the 30 day weigh in tonight and the live finale next week? I forget...
Old 05-05-2009, 04:44 PM   #84  
Token Vulcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindiV View Post
So is the finale TONIGHT...or are they doing the 30 day weigh in tonight and the live finale next week? I forget...
The finale is May 12. Tonight is when they meet their cardboard selves and go home for 30 days and come back and get weighed in. Then we'll know who are the 2 definite finalists and who are the 2 to be voted on. They will also be running a marathon tonight, and everybody who completes it gets $10,000 towards their charity of choice. Also appearing tonight will be past winners Michelle, Ali, Heba, Bernie and Jim G. (I wonder how it is that Mark and Jay got to visit the then 5 contestants and why they didn't show that.)

I've only been watching since season 5, and I know Kelly's teammate (and ex-husband, Paul--yellow team) didn't show up for the finale because he was gravely ill in the hospital. One of his relatives posted on the NBC board at the time, that Paul had like 3 or 4 serious medical complications going on, he nearly died.

Last edited by trekkiegirl; 05-05-2009 at 04:45 PM.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:02 PM   #85  

S/C/G: 318/294/Healthy

Height: 5'8

See I didnt watch the season(s) that they did the come back and vote thats why I had no idea they did that and thought it was strange and killed the surprise or more so it wouldnt be as dramatic. Thats why I was asking why they didnt explain that more I didnt know it was common knowledge.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:11 PM   #86  
Token Vulcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingForMeAgain View Post
See I didnt watch the season(s) that they did the come back and vote thats why I had no idea they did that and thought it was strange and killed the surprise or more so it wouldnt be as dramatic. Thats why I was asking why they didnt explain that more I didnt know it was common knowledge.
They did the viewer votes seasons 5 & 6 but they never did the 30-day come back and weigh in thing until now. The final four weigh in just continued the following week without the month long break for the contestants.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:03 PM   #87  
Token Vulcan

LOL, they "spoiled" the weigh in by showing the voting webpage with Mike and Ron on it before the weigh in even happened.

Hmmm...this vote could go either way. Mike has a lot of fans but so does Tara. Mike is a big threat to her. Some Tara fans may vote for Ron to keep Mike out. Or they may think Tara could win the $250K and Mike could win the at home $100K. Although....if # of Facebook friends is any judge, Mike has a lot more than Tara. And we have that crucial young female population, lol...those who have been inspired by Tara and those who are in love with Mike! Ultimately, I don't think it will be a replay of last year (with people voting overwhelmingly to keep Heba out as opposed to keeping Ed in)....I think Mike will make the vote.

I was kinda disappointed they didn't show them facing their former cardboard selves. They have it up as a bonus scene on the website, though.

OMG, the finale next week is 3 hours long.

Last edited by trekkiegirl; 05-06-2009 at 12:20 PM.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:14 PM   #88  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Vote for Ron!
Kira
Old 05-06-2009, 12:46 AM   #89  
Empress/Queen

Ron is a favorite of mine for a number of reasons, including the way he finished that marathon despite all odds to prove a point to his children.

So I hope he gets his wish and the vote goes for Mike and then I hope Mike wins.

Even though the Mike/Ron team fell below the line, I thought they were winners.

The two women did a great job of weight loss, Tara won all the challenges, they look fabulous.

Rooting for Mike or Ron, though.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:08 AM   #90  

S/C/G: 160/144/130

Height: 5'3

seriously? did NBC think Ron was actually going to plead his case?

I'm looking forward to seeing Nicole, Carla, Laura and Kristin again. And more of Max.

They should do a Biggest Loser Teens version, but tone down the drama... we all know the childhood obesity problem this country has!

Looks like Helen's daughter hasn't lost much at home, at least in comparison to her mother, and through the very little we actually saw of her on this episode. Wonder what she'll look like next week?

This is my first season really watching, I've always caught a few episodes here and there, but was wondering have contestants shown up at the final not having lost much or any weight?

Last edited by nbrown7384; 05-06-2009 at 01:12 AM.