Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 01:14 AM   #61  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone

Visiting my mother in law this weekend. We went out to the cemetery and saw that the stone is up. The inscription is lovely.

I had 1.5 bad travel days of food, then a day of 5 products to get back on track. I had too much bread with my salad today. That is a real weakness of mine and I recognize it. Now I need to figure out how to win that battle.

No exercise this week. Definitely not my most successful week. I need to walk inside next week—I’m supposed to stay out of the sun until the poison whatever it is clears up.

Plan for tomorrow—3 products and one meal on our way home.

G'night all.

—Beth
Old 08-12-2018, 07:03 AM   #62  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Sunday - R.I.P. Cleopatra VII, Queen of Egypt (30 A.D.)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked for hours about the East Coast Gem, Mineral & Fossil Show. Amazing event! Had to drive two hours each way but worth it. I had to honor an IOU for a meteorite that I gave to my DS several Christmases ago, which I did, and then some. For myself I purchased a fragment from the Sikhote-Alin meteorite that felled acres of trees in Siberia in 1947. For DW I picked up a Trilobite sandwiched in a slab of shale that one separates to see both the positive and the negative imprint. And more stuff, mostly for DS whose curiosity just kept the dealers talking and talking. Falling into the gem collecting hobby is a dangerous journey; it swallows folks whole. The event was full of serious collectors who'd traveled from all over the East Coast to attend. All serious collectors get to the Tucson, Arizona event that's held for four weeks each year. And the very serious collectors have claims on government owned land where they have rights to collect surface minerals and rocks.

Lunch at the event was a hot dog - hardly healthy but actually a good choice since it was the only food item that didn't come with French fries. Dinner was lentil soup with Cantaloupe for dessert. Good enough for the day given that I ducked the long list of fried options at the event.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – "One plate of only vegetarian dishes" is a big win for a buffet. [The rules for inherited IRAs still confuse me. Thanks for the reminder that I have to go read those.]

Beth (bethturnaround) – Eating sanely while traveling is a huge challenge.

Readers -
Quote:
day 12 Practice Hunger Tolerance
You definitely don't have to eat when
you're hungry. Just because you want to eat
doesn't mean you always should
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 122.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 08-12-2018 at 07:04 AM. Reason: HTML change
Old 08-12-2018, 09:27 AM   #63  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Hi Coaches! Feeling proud of myself since I finally did something I have been putting off- spraying an insect nest in the shed where we store the lawn mower. DS does the lawn and I don’t want to have him stung by hornets or whatever they are. It’s the type of thing DH would normally do so I patted myself on the back.
Went to Trader Joe’s yesterday with DS and fun looking at the various yummy and not so yummy looking food- a wedge of bison jerky looked really unappetizing. We joked about putting together a box of weird food for his uncle at christmas time. I really have fun with this kid, and he kept me from buying any desserts too which was good. Ah, to have the metabolism of a 16 year old boy.

Beth- hope the PI is less itchy. The meds are really helping my son.
Bill- I have lovely memories of reading books to my kids too. Including the ones we had memorized and couldn’t stand anymore
Gardenerjoy- you’re doing so well with your plans! I would be fine at an Indian buffet, but Chinese would be another story!
Karenrn- great you got a compliment at the gym! Others sometimes notice what we don’t.
Penny- how nice your teens went somewhere with you in public Concert sounds great.
Silverbirch-Good for you for dealing with business accounts, that stuff is so tedious.
Maryann- I have the same fearful thoughts at times. What if my hip never feels better and I’m limping around for the rest of my life (or until I get a total hip replacement). How will I ever lose weight then? I give myself a stern talking to when i get in that state.

Last edited by curlyjax; 08-12-2018 at 09:29 AM.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:52 AM   #64  
Green Tomatoes

I was about to write that today should be easy, except that I might not have enough lettuce. So, I just wrote a plan to go by a grocery store so that I do. Credit for solving a problem before I even fully realized it existed.

Credits:
  • posted twelve days in a row
  • skipped a snack
Weigh-in: -0.3 kgs, Exercise: +40, 365/1200 minutes for August
Old 08-12-2018, 12:15 PM   #65  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Beth: I need to get outside and walk as well. The smoke and the heat are prohibitive but early in the morning I think is doable.
Curleyjax: I really enjoy time spent with DS. I also learn an incredible lesson watching how he eats. He always eats breakfast but it is a small amount and it takes him through till lunch. He is 140 pounds and 5'10. If he can eat small portions and run, I can eat small portions and walk.

Credit for changing my ticker downward. It has been fairly stable for two weeks so I think the move is justified. Exciting to think of breaking the 160 mark. Today I will do some school work. I will practice creating a blog like my students will do.I also want to practice some realistic drawings. I read an essay that says you don't have to be an expert artist to teach art, you just have to be an person with experience of the lesson. I am going to practice many How To Draw _____fill in the blank lessons today.
Old 08-12-2018, 02:29 PM   #66  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

I watched dh go thru his closet again and try on slacks (all but 4 pair too big) and was sorry I hadn't been losing like he has. He is a super diligent person and once he sets his mind to do something he does it. I am that way in the beginning and then give in too frequently. Unfortunately, summer is my most difficult time. More time in the house and less exercise. I do the daily gym thing, but few long hikes. And can I tell you how tired I am of being too warm. Okay, that's enough of my complaining. I am wearing a pair of shorts that is a little smaller than those I usually wear and I'm finding they help me remember that I don't need a snack. I think I feel so thin in my looser shorts that I am less cognizant of the fact that I'm up a few pounds. I've just returned from the grocery store and loaded up on some veggies to keep me full for few calories.

Maryann Congrats on moving the ticker down. I have to tell you I would be up a creek if I had to teach art. I think it's interesting to think you just have to be a person with experience of the lesson. Just trying the lesson would terrify me. I couldn't believe when I heard on the news that the smoke from CA fires is all the way to New York. Just awful. I know once it is closer to my departure dates I'll have to check and see how the air is and what roads might be closed. One of the gals on a hiking site uses the Purple Air website and it looks pretty good.

Beth Is the poison oak better? I hope so.

Silverbirch It sounds like you and your SO are in a difficult time of life as far as the parents go. We only have one parent left, dh's Mom who will be 88 in September. Older parents are a worry for sure.

GardenerJoy Good for you for your diligent posting. I never have an excuse not to get the groceries I need. The store is only a mile away.

Curlyjax A pat on the back for dealing with the insect nest. I always say there would be a for sale sign up so fast it would make your head spin if something happened to dh, but in reality I know that wouldn't be what I would do. Home maintenance and all it entails is a big job. I hand it to you for all you are dealing with.

Bill Your mention of the Tucson gem show made me think I really should go sometime. I have friends who have gone, mostly to buy jewelry.

Waving to Silverbirch and Penny.
Old 08-12-2018, 06:40 PM   #67  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Quick check in.

Weight moved down a smidge finally after a long pause.
Today marks 60 days eating on plan, with relative ease. That's really good for me. I usually have to white knuckle my way down, so there must be something to this Rational Recovery and Beck CBT!

I have not been good with exercise. I plan to do daily dog walks and three bike rides this week.
Old 08-12-2018, 11:43 PM   #68  
formerly bethfromdayton

Hi everyone.

We're home again. We stopped on our way to St Louis to see my grandmother but she was sleeping. We stopped again on the way back and she was awake. It may well be my final visit. She's at home in her assisted living facility but she's in hospice care now--we don't think it'll be much longer. She's very weak and frail. I feel pretty calm--she's 102 and has been healthy her entire life--her body is just wearing out. I just feel fortunate we've had her for so long.

Food was OP today. We stopped to get dinner on our way--and I ordered what I intended and (this is a big credit) only ate about 2/3 of my bunless burger. DH finished it, but that's not on me. I stole two of his fries but they weren't hot so it was easy to stop at the stolen two.

My blood sugar is way out of control but I think it's the prednisone--I certainly haven't eaten anything that would put my blood sugar that high. I'll call the doctor tomorrow to see if she wants me to change any of my meds while I'm taking the prednisone. I think the poison oak/sumac/whatever it is is getting a bit better, for weak values of 'bit better'--but at least it's not getting any worse, which it was, even after several days since my last exposure.

This hasn't been a stellar week, but I think that posting this every Sunday is important, perhaps especially when it hasn't been a great week. I've claimed my diet book for tonight so I'm going to read that now and call it a night. Now that I'm home, I'll get back to personals--it's hard to do those from the iPad--but I think recognizing what everyone else is doing helps keep me focused.

--Beth

Old 08-13-2018, 06:12 AM   #69  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday- Hernando Cortez destroys Aztecs using gunpowdered weapons (1521, Mexico City)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Event of the day was the memorial service for a friend who was only 81 years old including 30 years after a five-year prognosis when her leukemia was first diagnosed. It seems strange that we learn so much about a friend only after they're gone from their nieces and nephews who we'd never meet in real life.

Eating was OK including a long reception following the memorial service with tables and tables laden with eat-standing nibbles. I'd hoped to find enough real food to make it dinner, but had to stop eating because the spread was mostly foods that I'd be better off not adding to my diet. Dinner later was chips, cheese, and hummus. Good news is that the two-pound gain recorded yesterday was just a scale wiggle; it was gone this morning. I'm still believe the scale more than it's worth.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Love that lettuce can be a key to having a clean eating day.

maryann – Congrats for having the courage to teach art. It does have the advantage that you know in advance that there will always be a high school student who is a better artist than the teacher.

Karen (karenrn) – Great way to use clothes, "help me remember that I don't need a snack."

curlyjax – Yay for enjoying time with your DS - including his Diet Coach role of blocking the Trader Joe's desserts.

Beth (bethturnaround) – Just amazing that your grandmother made it to 102 with a healthy life. Kudos for leaving part of your burger.

Penny. – Super Kudos for 60 days eating on plan - just terrific.

Readers -
Quote:

What to Do

Pick a day this week to practice hunger tolerance. If you think it'll be challenging, choose a day when you know you'll be busy and you predict you won't be faced with difficult eating triggers. Many of the dieters I've counseled initially tried this experiment on a workday. A structured routine helped them refrain from eating until dinnertime.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 122.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:52 AM   #70  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

I made a very healthy dinner last night with salmon, homegrown swiss chard and corn on the cob. And microwave cake in a mug, but hey at least it was one serving only. I also made some gazpacho which I promptly forgot about! Will try that today. I'm so tired today, I didn't sleep well, and sometimes that can make you hungry and sloppy about eating, so I will have to be extra diligent.
DS is now having a reaction to one of the meds he is on for the poison ivy! and is now truly miserable. He is allergic to penicillin and was put on something that 10% of people who take it will react to- i guess he is one of the 10%! Its worse than the poison ivy. I'm waiting for the doc office to open so i can now ask about that! I want to get this cleared up before school starts.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:36 AM   #71  
Green Tomatoes

I probably need to think about how many calories are in my salads. On days that I have three salads, it's probably not helpful that I dump cashews in. For the moment, I'll count them, but a better plan, that I'll implement when these nuts are gone, is to switch to pumpkin seeds.

Credits:
  • posted thirteen days in a row
  • went to a grocery store hungry and stuck to my list
Weigh-in: +0.25 kgs, Exercise: +55, 420/1200 minutes for August
Old 08-13-2018, 12:35 PM   #72  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

It's Monday and I'm feeling motivated. Only 9 days until I leave on my road trip. I'm hoping to be pretty diligent for that amount of time cause I know it will make a difference. We had another monsoon storm yesterday early evening and the wind really blew. In fact it took a large tree down which also toppled the street light just two doors down. Unfortunately the people that purchased that house and are having it remodeled do not even live there yet, so they probably won't hear about it until their workers arrive this morning. The tree didn't hit the house but it is covering about half of the street in front of the house. So we have a storm for a couple of hours and by morning it is clear blue skies again.

I just got home from Crossfit a little bit ago and I am exhausted from the workout. They are not the same intensity every day and not always this hard. I've been pretty sore lately but I guess that means I'm making muscle, at least that's what I hope it means. I'm packing and repacking trying to get things as organized as possible. I have a small SUV and I want everything in the way back because there is a cover to pull so nobody can see what is back there. I guess it doesn't matter all that much, but I don't want to feel like the car is a mess. I will keep a small ice chest on the floor of the passenger side to hold water and other drinks and some food.

GardenerJoy I love cashews and would not be good about limiting the quantity. Do pumpkin seeds have fewer calories, or are they just not as tempting?

Curlyjax Your poor son. I hope the doc can give him something that helps quickly. When I had a reaction to sunscreen once the doc gave me a steroid shot that helped quickly.

Bill Isn't that incredible that your friend lived 30 years after being diagnosed with leukemia. Especially because it was 30 years ago. These days there are likely better treatments.

Beth That is so great that you have a grandmother who is 102. I'm thinking at that age she is probably feeling ready to go. My Great Aunt Ellen used to say, "I was afraid the Lord would take me too soon, but now I'm afraid he's forgotten me." She lived to be 101 and died on Good Friday in in 1994.

Penny Sixty days on plan is terrific! Great news that the scale moved down a smidge too.

Well, I think I've recovered from my workout. Time to get moving again. Have a great day every body!
Old 08-13-2018, 10:50 PM   #73  
formerly bethfromdayton

Hi everyone,

So it's Monday and I'm starting my week strong. Made good food choices today, even out to dinner with my aunt. We went for Mexican. I skipped the chips. I only had one tortilla. I ordered exactly what I intended to and took half my meal home to eat tomorrow night. No sweets. DD and I walked to the library after dinner to return some books, so I got a good walk in and great time with her. I also made a few new cards from things I read in one of the weight loss books I'm skimming through.

I called the doctor this morning about my out of control blood sugar--they're going to have me reduce my prednisone over just 4 more days, as long as the rash is clearing up. I'm definitely not eating anything that would make blood sugar go up to 250!!

I've got a plan for tomorrow's walk and tomorrow's dinner--and probably a run to the grocery store after both of those so I can implement the plan I made!

karenrn: Sounds like you had a good start to your Monday, too--your Crossfit work outs sound like they really keep you working.

joy: Measuring stuff is the only way I can make sure that I don't make quantity mistakes with good food choices. That's true no matter what it is. :-(

curlyjax: The salmon sounds delicious. I hope the doctor was able to do something for your son. I know how miserable the poison reactions can be.

BillBlueEyes: I'm sorry about your friend. It's interesting, though, that we think of "only 81"--I just expect everyone to make it into their 90s, which of course isn't realistic at all.

G'night all,

--Beth
Old 08-14-2018, 03:25 AM   #74  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Quick hello this morning. Caught sight of myself unexpectedly in the mirror yesterday. Oh dear. I have another appointment with the dentist today. Another "oh dear". I'd better get going now. Exercises to do.

Hope your day goes well.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:01 AM   #75  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday - Russian fur traders settle Alaska (1784, Kodiak Island)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Finally found a place to service our community snow-blower that will pick up and deliver. Discovered that it won't be cheap, Duh! Nothing else is so I shouldn't have been surprised. The good news is that whatever the cost it will be divided by five families. CREDIT moi for taking action instead of waiting until we faced a two-foot snowfall. While there a man came in with an ancient two-prong extension cord asking if it could be repaired. It had multiple patches and replacement parts at each end. It was seriously old. He was gently told to go buy a new extension cord - no one can examine an old one for less than the cost of a new one. Folks don't know that wires breakdown under the insulation and slowly increase resistance until they generate enough heat that they easily start a fire.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, with no snacks. DS came by to show us pictures of the plumbing that he's having repaired in his house. The bad news is that the entire waste stack for three bathrooms (one atop the other on three floors) needs to be replaced. The good news is that he's redoing all the bathrooms so that the walls are exposed. If he hadn't done it now, it would cost a larger fortune in the future when it sprung a leak into finished bathrooms.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Both cashews and pumpkin seeds are hard for me to control. When I buy a bag, it just disappears into too-large snacks.

silverbirch – Good luck at the dentist today. I suffer more in anticipation of the dentist than the actual visit.

Karen (karenrn) – Yay for making muscle in preparation for your hiking trip.

curlyjax – Do hope things are working out with your DS and poison ivy medicines. Sounds horrible. Homegrown Swiss Chard is just the best.

Beth (bethturnaround) – Dining at a Mexican restaurant without taking the chips is a major win - Kudos.

Readers -
Quote:

Going Hungry

On the day you choose, eat breakfast and then purposely don't eat again until dinner. At the time you normally eat lunch, figure out how uncomfortable (not how hungry) you are and write your rating on My Hunger Discomfort chart. Then very hour or so between lunch and dinner, rate how strong your discomfort is at that very moment. Also reflect on how the previous hour went and record how high or low your discomfort was.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 124.
Closed Thread