Beck Diet For Life/Solution – August 2018 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach - Page 3 - 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 09:21 AM   #31  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I'm not sure why I got a loss this morning. Yesterday was good eating-wise, but no better than the day before. Oh well. It's helpful for me to check my daily consumption against my daily weight because I sometimes learn things. But it's also helpful to remember that my body is not a machine.

Credits:
  • posted six days in a row
  • planned today, including washing greens for a healthy supper
  • worked through some feelings that made yesterday hard, so today might be easier
Weigh-in: -0.7 kgs, Exercise: +20, 165/1200 minutes for August
Old 08-06-2018, 02:26 PM   #32  

S/C/G: ?/139/130

Height: 5'5"

Walked Otis, Crossfit and vacuumed all the floors this morning. I still have a little more housework to do today and all I can say is I'm not in the mood for it. I better not wait until I'm in the mood though.
Food is on plan. I'm hungry now but will wait until at least after 11:30 which is only a little over 10 minutes. The lasagna I made yesterday turned out great and it's all wrapped and in the freezer now. We did
enjoy some spaghetti for dinner with some of the left over sauce. I am giving myself credit for keeping my portion in line. I think it was about 1/3 of what dh had.

GardenerJoy Glad the scale is going down for you.

Bill You're right, this isn't the time of the year for hot soup.

Beth I hope the travel goes smoothly and it doesn't make following a plan too difficult.

Penny It does seem that some of the lower cost foods are pretty high in calories. Anything that tastes like pizza is good in my book.

Okay, time to go fix lunch. Have a great day.
Old 08-06-2018, 03:25 PM   #33  

S/C/G: +71/+17.2/0

I'm having one of those "this is going to take forever, I'm still so heavy" days. I'll get through it and keep plugging away.

Beth, the chart is a good idea! Nice work making a plan and following through.

Bill, kudos for eating well for the two occasions out of the house. So many opportunities for slip-ups.

Gardenerjoy, congrats on the weightloss.

Karen, kudos for keeping the pasta portion controlled. I have a hard time getting any satisfaction from healthy portions of pasta. Lol
Old 08-06-2018, 05:08 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 173/169/ 157

Height: 5'6

Phone check in from Pismo Beach. Beautiful and hot. Scale here says I am below ticker. Hopefully there is a match on my scale at home. Credit walking and small meals.

Wave to all.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:54 PM   #35  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi all

My 2:15 flight was finally cancelled about 7 pm. I now have an even later flight on another airline—and it’s delayed to. I’ve been at the airport more than 8 hours.

Big credit—I had a Salas with salmon for dinner and have been very firm with myself about not having any treats at the airport. I’ve always tended to eat junk while journeying. Today—no junk. No unplanned food.

I’m going to be pretty darned tired tomorrow.

Exercise was 3 gate changes followed by a terminal change. I’ll be glad to get to my hotel tonight.

—Beth
Old 08-07-2018, 07:05 AM   #36  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Tuesday - Astronomer Johannes Kepler's mother arrested for witchcraft (1620)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walk, CREDIT moi, was planned to manage four errands on one trip. Despite choosing to walk as exercise, my engineering brain insists on planning the minimum walking distance between the four points as if it were a test question, LOL. The great adventure of the day was submitting passport renewal forms at the post office. The post office camera made the background of the ID photos too blue according to the guy taking the pictures so we had to walk around the corner to the CVS drug store to get them taken there. We're renewing because we've heard the horror stories of folks with current passports trying to travel only to discover that some destinations require your passport to show at least six months remaining even if you're traveling for a week. It was a great deal easier than it seems, meaning that I could do it again quickly and painlessly. However, when I renew in 9.5 years it'll seem difficult again. The kind lady behind the counter showed up that we could put both applications in the same shipping envelope to save $6.90 postage. However, we had to enclose separate checks because <standard bureaucratic mumbling that made little sense>. And better news: while parked, I plugged my car into a FREE charger to get an hour's worth of electricity.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, with the only snack being watermelon after dinner. Seems like overkill to have both watermelon and garden-fresh tomatoes at the same meal. Mother Nature would do well to have one of them arriving in February, LOL. Lunch was, again, a tomato sandwich. DW suggested that we could have broiled tomatoes for breakfast (like we had in England and Wales) to make it a three meal sweep.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Ah yes, the scale goes where the scale goes.

maryann – Yep, Pismo Beach looks like a serene place to be.

Karen (karenrn) – LOL at the thought of waiting to do housework until in the mood for it.

Beth (bethturnaround) – Monster Kudos for surviving 8 hours at an airport. Hope you finally get a flight.

Penny. – Kudos for recognizing negative thoughts as just thoughts.

Readers -
Quote:
day 12 Practice Hunger Tolerance

If you've had similar experiences, it's important to learn that you can tolerate hunger. Once you effectively convince yourself of this, hunger won't seem like such a big deal. When you're hungry but it's not time for a meal or a snack, you'll be able to say to yourself, Oh, well, I wish I could eat now, but it's okay ... I can wait.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 121.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:04 AM   #37  

S/C/G: ?/139/130

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,
Yesterday's food was on plan and today's has all been planned and tracked. Now all I have to do is stick to the plan. I'm kind of sore today but I actually like the feeling. At Crossfit yesterday we did pull up practice (for those of us that can't do a pull up) and enough squats and lunges to make for a sore behind too. I'll head to the Y this morning and do an hour on the elliptical and then some strength training. After that the housecleaning chore for the day will be the bathrooms. I'm planning to take some food with me in the car when I leave here in a couple of weeks. I have a really good cooler, but it takes up more room than I want, so I'll take the one that isn't as good and hope it's good enough. I'm going to make sure I have cut up veggies and enough to get me by for the first couple of days. I don't like to eat in a restaurant by myself and I don't want to do fast food although it's an option for dinner the first day if I can find something that is healthy.

Yesterday a friend invited me to do a backpack in October called Thunder River/Deer Creek on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. I just love having something to look forward to, especially something that requires physical ability. I really hope to do lots of backpacking next year, but there are so many fires in California I know I have to be ready to change the plans and consider another area. It is so sad to see so many fires. I just spoke with my cousin who I camp with every year. She was driving to school in CA and said it looks like a foggy fall day. The kids probably won't be able to go outside for recess. Her son is working on the Ferguson fire near Yosemite.

Bill I am just loving the watermelon too. I'm trying to watch my portion sizes of fruit, but also enjoy having it while it's in season.

Beth I hope you finally got to where you were heading and got some sleep. What a nightmare.

Maryann Yay! Below ticker with all your travels. You are a rock star!

Penny I always try to remember that when I'm losing weight I'll be looking and feeling better all along the way, not just at the end. The other thing about it taking awhile is that the good habits you form will be in place. As you said, keep plugging away!

Well I guess I had better get into my gym clothes and head out the door. You all have a great day.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:28 AM   #38  
Green Tomatoes

The current phase of my creative project is going slower than anticipated. But I'm not eating over it. I hope to get through it today and then speed on through the rest. I have a self-imposed deadline, but I've shared the date with others, so it feels more solid than usual.

Credits:
  • posted seven days in a row
  • woke up to a rain storm and decided not to be down about it -- it's cozy!
  • made a plan to vote in our primary because people who make a plan are more likely to vote
Weigh-in: -0.05 kgs, Exercise: +50, 215/1200 minutes for August

BillBlueEyes: To my surprise, I loved tomatoes for breakfast in Ireland and England. And, have never fixed them at home. It would be a great addition, especially at the peak of tomato season.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:39 PM   #39  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi all

I got to my hotel at 03:30. I wish I’d driven. Oh well.

I was so tired this morning I forgot to have my morning shake. Fortunately there was protein for breakfast so I had eggs and bacon and no carbs. I brought bars for lunch and snack so didn’t have any of the pasta or sweets that were out. Ate a bit too much dinner. I really need to start getting half portions on my plate—even if I throw the other half out!

No exercise tonight but I will tomorrow.

G'night all
Old 08-08-2018, 03:36 AM   #40  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Yesterday the DB and I continued our series of big discussions about applying to university. I did my exercises, fiddled about with a website, continued to try to get my new business bank account working properly (!), made a fruit cake and meals, walked out to meet the SO from the bus. The best bit was the walk so I'll try to go out for more of those. The blackberries are early this year and are looking lovely against the harebells (bluebells in Scotland) and the heather. They look even lovelier in dull light. I'm going to the dentist this morning and will go to the best charity shop for books. We're looking for a couple of books which are ridiculously expensive to buy (because they are oldish and rare) but I have a feeling they might turn up in this shop. They're translations of a Welsh poem from some time between the 7th and 11th centuries. Always fun to have something to look out for.

Wretched travelling, beth. Credit for sticking to the plan, more or less.

gardenerjoy, Bill, I didn't realise you didn't eat fried tomatoes for breakfast over there. Other things I can take or leave but they really make a cooked breakfast, in my view. My ideal cooked breakfast is bacon, sausage, scrambled egg, black pudding, tomatoes, mushrooms. Then I can keep going for ages.

karen, I like that muscle soreness too.

Wave to all. I have to clean my teeth and get going.

Old 08-08-2018, 08:14 AM   #41  
Super Moderator

Default Wednesday - "Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polkadot Bikini" hits #1 (1960)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Gazpacho with lentil crackers and hummus for dinner on the patio, CREDIT moi. Then watermelon. Despite the heat, a gentle breeze had started to keep it a pleasant affair. No snacks for the day; that makes a string of days without snacks being a key part of my life. The lentil crackers have the aurora of being healthy although they have the standard cracker ingredients of salt and fat. We still have large tomatoes sitting on the kitchen counter just waiting for us to pounce. Life is good.

Read the first of J. K. Rowling's novel, The Casual Vacancy, after having seen the BBC miniseries. The problem is that my DIL told me that she'd read it because I gave it to her - either that or that she read it then gave it to me. So the goal now is to read until my brain remembers that I've been here before. Perhaps my brain has reached the stage where I can read anything because I've forgotten that I've read it before. The good news is that would mean that my shelves and shelves of books could dwindle down to just a couple of books that I'd recycle. Perhaps only to Crime and Punishment because that would take me so long to read that I might forget the beginning before I reach the end. Perhaps the elusive Middlemarch.

ETA: Just returned from picking up DGD. While typing earlier, the power went out. Auto-save here kept what I'd typed. Yay for a working feature.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Such a marvelous thought, "But I'm not eating over it."

silverbirch – Love the thought of a bookstore with really old books. Around here, they're closing rapidly.

Karen (karenrn) – Hiking the North Rim of the Grand Canyon sounds exciting.

Beth (bethturnaround) – Congrats for surviving the friendly skies.

Readers -
Quote:

You'll then be able to turn your attention to other things, and the hunger pangs will gradually diminish. If you've never allowed yourself to feel hunger or very hungry, you might not believe me when I tell you that if you're hungry and don't respond immediately by eating, then your hunger will definitely subside.

Old 08-08-2018, 09:12 AM   #42  

S/C/G: 173/169/ 157

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Back home and back to school. My challenge today is to not stress my back since it has already been strained somehow. I have pounds and pounds of materials that need to be sorted and stashed somewhere in the already full room I have been given in which to work. I must WAIT for the custodian to move the supplies to the room and not chase after them. It is a job for dollies and such. I also must remember to stop and have a reasonable lunch. i do not want to skip meals. Things are going to take time and impatience can lead me to running to food.

Weight is right at ticker and I may drop a pound or two from yesterday's travel day. Good. Now I can really start trying for a new lower decade.

Beth: I was in an airport for several hours. It is such a bummer. Sounds like you did a heck of a job avoiding the thousands of temptations there. Congrats.

Karen: Indeed, California is NOT the place to be right now. I am hours from a fire and yet it is twilight here all day.

BBE: I finished Bad Blood. I am amazed at Elizabeth Holmes and what she was able to pull off. Rupert Murdoch was the number one investor. He lost 125 million but just claimed it as a write off. So the government (we the people) end up paying for it. What was her secret? How did she keep the con going? I am now half way through Boys in the Boat . I guess non fiction is what I read right now.

Alright, off to seize the day.

Last edited by maryann; 08-08-2018 at 09:14 AM.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:03 AM   #43  
Green Tomatoes

I decided to let my self-imposed deadline slip by a week. I doubt anyone will notice and I'll breathe easier and have more fun with this project.

Credits:
  • analyzed yesterday's eating in light of this morning's gain and found a place to lighten up
  • posted eight days in a row
  • made a plan that includes light carry-outs that will take to the nephew's house to get to meet our new great-niece
Weigh-in: -0.5 kgs, Exercise: +25, 240/1200 minutes for August
Old 08-09-2018, 03:44 AM   #44  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

I went to the dentist yesterday. She took out the loose gold inlay (it's a type of filling often used with molars) and put in a temporary, medicated one. In the afternoon the back of the tooth collapsed into pieces. Ah. I'll ring this morning and see what happens next. Otherwise, I had a nice day - out on my own, with no need to be at a certain place at a certain time. What luxury. Blissful. I had a tour of secondhand bookshops only to find, as Bill said, they'd all closed. So that only leaves the Oxfam charity shop in our nearest town. Unlike most other charity shops it has good stock, helped by it being in a university town. I also discovered a book online which had part of the translation I'm looking for - and the SO pointed out that we've got it on the shelves! Dear me. It was hidden by a card and I'd forgotten about it. Yet another reason to declutter a bit.

A good bit of walking yesterday. Strolling really, but it all counts. Food was good. I discovered a new Ukrainian/Mancunian cafe which is lovely.

gardenerjoy, making a decision to move the deadline sounds very good. Taking control like that always makes me feel better.

maryann, credit for weight at ticker! And patience is a virtue, as I say from time to time. In fact, I'm doing that currently as it seems to be two steps forward, one step back in different ways for me and the DB.

Bill, large home-grown tomatoes - yum!

Old 08-09-2018, 04:55 AM   #45  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday - Jesse Owens wins four gold medals at the Berlin Olympics (1936)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Exercise was chase the (2.5 yo) DGD day, CREDIT moi. We heard the most lovely words from her. Sheer heavenly, beautiful, devine, inspirational, moving words. She said, "I need to go potty." On her own, without being bribed, threatened, coerced, or sweet-talked. Thought it would never happen. She went home in the same underpants that she was wearing when we picked her up. We walked to the subway and then to the Boston Children's Museum. She immersed herself into one thing then another. Looking at the ships on the Boston waterfront might have been the best part. I had three books for the DGD to open when she got here. When she saw the cover of If You Give a Mouse a Cookie, she announced its title then proceeded to 'read' the entire book to me. I was snowed. When she came to a page that she didn't remember what happened, she'd say "This part is kind of difficult." Then I'd give a hint and off she'd go. Just fun to confront the obvious: kids learn to 'read' entire books that interest and amuse before they are forced to read "See Jane run." Later confirmed that it was a favorite book read to her by her mom. Over and over.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi. Lunch, again, was a slab-of-tomato sandwich. Like a Michelin Guide restaurant experience. Cherries for evening snack. Dinner on the patio despite being a day pushing 90 degrees F. The predicted "Heavy thunderstorms" just wimped as a light rain.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Neat to give yourself a realistic deadline.

silverbirch – Ouch for discovering closed bookshops. LOL at discovering a desired book on your own shelves. BTDT.

maryann – Congrats for recognizing that you need to focus on avoiding stress. [I share your admiration on what Elizabeth Holmes pulled off. Bad Blood was so focused on the fraudulent parts because it was written when absolutely everyone was a true believer and needed to be hit over the head with a hammer. I look forward to a next book that addresses your question, How did she pull that off?]

Readers -
Quote:

You'll be able to turn your attention to other things, and the hunger pangs will gradually diminish. If you've ever allowed yourself to feel hungry or very hungry, you might not believe me then I tell you that if you're hungry and don't respond immediately be eating, then your hunger will definitely subside.

Closed Thread