Beck Diet For Life/Solution August 2018 Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach - Page 6 - 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 10:45 AM   #76  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I didn't weigh this morning because I had a high sodium day yesterday. I'm never sure if not weighing in that circumstance is self-care or self-sabotage. But that's the choice I made, so I'm going to call it self-care, just for today.

I didn't have a good night. My body felt twitchy which made it hard to sleep. There are a number of things I could blame, but the one that would help my diet the most is to blame the salt. For the first time, I'm moving something from my "Things that really are treats" list to my "Things that seem like they're treats, but don't really taste or feel that good." It's too salty and that doesn't make me feel good.

Credits:
  • posted fourteen days in a row
  • made a breakthrough on my project and didn't celebrate it with food or drink
Weigh-in: NA kgs, Exercise: +60, 480/1200 minutes for August

karenrn: I read somewhere that seeds, in general, have a better nutritional profile than nuts. Which my brain interpreted as fewer calories. But I looked it up and the macronutrients are quite similar -- pumpkin seeds have fewer carbs and more protein, but more saturated fat and a few more calories. Pumpkin seeds show up on lots of healthy food lists because of the micronutrients. And, I do find them less tempting, so I'm less likely to overwhelm my salad with them. We'll see if that works.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:55 AM   #77  

S/C/G: 173/171/ 157

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

First day of school always brings butterflies. I have enough lesson plans to get through to the end of the weekend. I will pack a lunch today and remember "No Sweets at Work." I must not let exercise slip now that I have started back to school. Weight is at ticker.

Have a great Tuesday.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:56 AM   #78  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Default In the car

and thinking of gardenerjoy'srule not to eat in the car. I'm going to start living by that rule.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:18 PM   #79  

S/C/G: +71/+12.6/0

maryann, have a nice first day of school!

Silver, catching a glimpse of my reflection always gives me an "oh dear" too. Haha!

Bill, good planning, getting the snow blower fixed. That's nice your neighbors share one.

Gardenerjoy, kudos for 14 days of checking in!

I've been reading through the green Beck book and it's pretty good! A little different, which is nice.

I got to the daily calorie calculation and am not too sure about keeping calories 1600 or 1800 per day. I'll have to think about that in 20 more pounds.

I did a bike ride yesterday, and the most annoying dog walk. I have a weiner dog who digs in her heels and refuses to walk. I bought a dog stroller for her and need to just bring it. I don't understand a dog not wanting to walk. Nothing wrong with her medically.

Last edited by Penny.; 08-14-2018 at 01:19 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:38 PM   #80  

S/C/G: ?/139/130

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,

Just a brief check in. I did not feel like going to the Y and doing the elliptical, but I did. The only thing that got me there besides my habit of exercise (which can easily be broken) is that I'm listening to a book, Life Reimagined, The Science, Art and Opportunity of Midlife. It's not a great book, but it is interesting and I want to hear the information, so no reason not to get some exercise while I'm listening. Not much more going on here. There is a possibility of storms each day until the weekend.

GardenerJoy Thanks for the information on the pumpkin seeds.

More tomorrow.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:22 PM   #81  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone!

Today's been a good on plan day for me but really tiring. It's 9:00 pm and I'm finally starting to relax. I ate exactly what I planned (less one tortilla, which I didn't eat), walked my 2 miles at the park, went to class--all good choices today. Went to the grocery store tonight even though neither DD or I felt like it--but we didn't have to feel like it, we just had to do it. And we did. Our favorite grocery store was unexpectedly closed (power outage) and the backup has less variety and higher prices ;(. After I post tonight I'm going to go relax with a novel and go to sleep early.

My official weigh-in today has me down 62.5 lbs since I started my program (69.8 lbs using my personal earlier start date). That means I've lost more than 25% of my body weight this year. I'm excited to be so close to "70 lbs down" which made it easier to start on track today--success does make me more motivated! I've promised myself a new beautiful dress for an event in October if I make 75 lbs down by then. (I'll also need new pants since the ones I have are all a bit loose already).

I'm simultaneously trying to lose more weight and get my mind and mindset into 'maintenance' since that's something I've spectacularly failed at in the past--and I intend to maintain this time. Losing more weight isn't anywhere near as important as keeping off what I've lost.

karenrn: Credit for going to the Y. Our family thing is "You don't have to wanna. You just have to do it." I used it on my kids when they were younger (nobody wants to take out the garbage) but I just i on myself, too.

penny: Your description of your dog is funny :-). What is your current calorie intake?

silverbirch: I love how we share rules here.

maryann: Hope the first day of school went well. I messed up on the "no sweets at work" last week while traveling--but back on it. When I go into the office I strengthen it to "no unplanned snacks at work"--so peanuts are off limits, too. (Unless I planned them)

Joy: Credit for not using food or drink for celebration--it's interesting how easy it is to see food as both a comfort and reward--rather than just as substance.

BillBlueEyes: Credit for no snacks. (And for not having to do your DS's bathroom repairs!)

G'night all!

--Beth

Old 08-15-2018, 05:40 AM   #82  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Wednesday - The Woodstock festival opens in Bethel, New York with 400,000 fans (1969)

Diet Coaches/Buddies Walk, CREDIT moi, got interrupted by three long conversations with neighbors. I discovered how one guy had been the one to call the city - twice - to pick up a limb that had fallen from a Norway Maple in the street. Now I know how to do that. Got to tell another neighbor how much I'd enjoyed hearing her sing in the performance of Verdi's Requiem. And discovered how the job search is going with another friend who faces want-ads seeking folks with 3 to 5 years experience wondering how she can get such experience without having a job. Good fun in the summertime when so many people are out and ready to chat although hardly aerobic walking.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, including grilled salmon on the patio for dinner - only after drying the chairs from the afternoon's deluge. One more day without snacks felt especially good. Seems that I can go for a period when I'm doing snacks as if they were required to maintain life, then a period when I just don't. Wish I could be more consistent.

Joy (gardenerjoy) Interesting to distinguish "Things that seem like they're treats."

silverbirch Wondering if self-driving cars will increase the desire to snack since there's less work to be done.

maryann Yay for "No Sweets at Work."

Karen (karenrn) Love the argument, "so no reason not to get some exercise while I'm listening,"

Beth (bethturnaround) Thanks for the reminder, "I'm doing it better than I was before."

Penny. I'm with you - I've never known a dog that didn't want to walk.

Readers -
Quote:
day 12 Practice Hunger Tolerance
did you
know?

It's important to distinguish
between "need" and "want."
Perople have actually gone
for more than a week with-
out eating and haven't died.
So, precluding a medical
disorder, we definitely don't
need to eat on any given day.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 125.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:59 AM   #83  

S/C/G: 173/171/ 157

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

I notice a common thread with Karen and Beth: Don't wait until you feel like doing it, just do it. The "it" can be different for everyone. The addendum to it it is "What is the worse that can happen?" This allows me to just push forward through some fear.

Credit for being down another pound. That makes me one pound away from a new decade. This is exciting. Credit for working out yesterday and the plan to work out today. Credit for a packed lunch and a solid intention to avoid sweets at work. I will allow myself a sweet today but it can not be at work.

silverbirch: excellent reminder to not eat in the car. This isn't as problematic for me as eating standing up but it still deserves some notice.
BBE: It is true that sometimes a habit like less snacks is easy. Then of course it isn't. Baffling.

On with the day!
Old 08-15-2018, 11:43 AM   #84  
Green Tomatoes

Credits:
  • posted fifteen days in a row
  • followed my plan as written
Weigh-in: -0.35 kgs, Exercise: +30, 510/1200 minutes for August

silverbirch and BillBlueEyes: "no food in the car" makes a big difference for me. My fantasy of self-driving cars is it will allow me to read, write, or work while going places. So, I hope it will make it less likely that I eat in the car. But, I would have to be thoughtful about it or I could easily see myself slipping into really bad habits.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:26 PM   #85  

Beth, I always tell my kids they "don't have to want to do it, they just have to do it", but it's more annoying to them than a family mantra. Heh!

You asked about my calories. I just follow the Lose It app which has it reduced more and more with my weight loss. It's around 1300 now.

Weight has been without change today and yesterday. I got my walk in yesterday. Today's 20 mile bike ride has been cancelled because of the very poor air quality index today. A friend and I have decided to try one of those paint night activities instead and I have to decide if I want to meet for dinner before it or not.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:10 PM   #86  
formerly bethfromdayton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny. View Post
Beth, I always tell my kids they "don't have to want to do it, they just have to do it", but it's more annoying to them than a family mantra. Heh!
I think it's less annoying for my kids because for years they've heard me tell myself that, out loud. "I don't have to wanna. I just have to do it." It's not something "mom says to kid"; it's something we all say to ourselves and each other. So, my two have learned to say it to themselves. After all, it's not like it's limited to kids--we all have to do stuff we don't wanna do. Pretty amazing how that works.

I've also heard my daughter (starting when she was in high school; she's now in her 20s) walk her friends through decision making, "And if you do that, what's the worst that could happen?" just the way I walked her through things. They think she's smart :-)

--Beth

--Beth
Old 08-15-2018, 01:27 PM   #87  

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethturnaround View Post
I think it's less annoying for my kids because for years they've heard me tell myself that, out loud. "I don't have to wanna. I just have to do it." It's not something "mom says to kid"; it's something we all say to ourselves and each other. So, my two have learned to say it to themselves. After all, it's not like it's limited to kids--we all have to do stuff we don't wanna do. Pretty amazing how that works.

I've also heard my daughter (starting when she was in high school; she's now in her 20s) walk her friends through decision making, "And if you do that, what's the worst that could happen?" just the way I walked her through things. They think she's smart :-)

--Beth

--Beth
Defiantly, kids learn by example more than anything. That's why one of my advantages of weight loss is "better example for my kids."
Old 08-15-2018, 03:49 PM   #88  

S/C/G: ?/139/130

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

I've walked the dog, gone to Crossfit and cleaned the office and set up the bills for payment. I'm sore lately from my workouts, so I tell myself it must be doing something good. Food was on plan yesterday, but at the top of the calorie range. I'm doing a superb job of maintaining, if only that was my goal. I need to make a plan for what I'm going to have available to eat on my long driving days. Well, dh is home for lunch . . . more later.

Old 08-15-2018, 10:48 PM   #89  
formerly bethfromdayton

Hi everyone,

I feel so much more in control after a few days of in-control behavior--funny that. I had a good walk this evening--it's good to be outside again although I wouldn't have gone outside if it had still been sunny--I'm supposed to keep my rash out of the UV light.

Food was OP today. 3 products--that part is easy. And then I made a delicious salad for dinner--baby spinach and spring mix, cucumber, blueberries, yellow pepper, celery, green onions, carrots, chicken, cheese, hummus. I felt good entering everything in MFP because so much of it was natural and not processed! It had more carbs than I'd expected--the spring mix is the part that surprised me. Even so, I feel full and proud of myself--and looking forward to having the same meal tomorrow!

I've started a new book that I'm finding really interesting. Brain Powered Weight Loss by Eliza Kingsford. It's a combination of CBT and DBT (Dialectical Behavior Therapy). I think I'm going to end up buying this one when I have to return this one to the library.

G'night all!

--Beth

Old 08-16-2018, 03:20 AM   #90  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Good morning. Today I'll go out in the car and I shan't buy anything to eat there. There will be no need. I'm packing my lunch and taking a bottle of water.

Hope your day goes well.
Closed Thread