Beck Diet For Life/Solution – August 2018 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach - Page 2 - 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 11:24 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 173/169/ 157

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Weight down to ticker. I am very grateful for the habits I have learned through Beck, you folks and other sources. Just the fact that I can say I have been ten pounds down from 2009 means a great deal to me. Beth writes about preventing the rebound. I 100% agree. Maintenance and loss is the same set of skills. In other words, I am in this for the long haul.
gardenerjoy: Posting is a great habit. It doesn't feel like a big deal when I skip it but then I start to drift. Insidious. This is a wonderful forum for practicing telling the truth. Sometimes I don't know something until I have written it here.
BBE: Your book sound interesting. Maybe I will give it a shot.
Silverbirch: credit for persevering through an injury. So frustrating.

I did stretches this morning. OP breakfast.

Last edited by maryann; 08-03-2018 at 11:25 AM.
Old 08-03-2018, 12:55 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

Hi Coaches! Feeling a little blue for a few days. I hope I have shaken myself out of the funk. There have been a few things that I hear about or discover that I want to share with DH and of course I can’t. A new biography about Shirley Jackson came out and we both had an appreciation of her writing, and some other older writers. The loss of a shared history is a huge thing.

It occurred to me the other day that the salad I eat most weekdays doesn’t have that many calories in it, which is probably why I do have a legitimate hunger a few hours later. I include some kind of protein, but its not like eating a sandwich. That makes me feel like my mid-afternoon snack is fine, as long as it is healthy.

Old 08-03-2018, 04:41 PM   #18  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjax View Post
It occurred to me the other day that the salad I eat most weekdays doesn’t have that many calories in it, which is probably why I do have a legitimate hunger a few hours later. I include some kind of protein, but its not like eating a sandwich. That makes me feel like my mid-afternoon snack is fine, as long as it is healthy.
When I have a light lunch (300 calories or less), I have to have a 3 pm snack. I plan for it--about 150-200 calories. I was just reading something that suggested that eating every 3 hours or so is way to avoid the "starving" feeling which can so often lead to overeating.

--Beth
Old 08-04-2018, 12:16 AM   #19  
formerly bethfromdayton

Hi everyone.

DH and I saw Cat on a Hot Tin Roof tonight. He'd never seen it before, so I've been trying to figure out how I saw it within the last few years and he didn't.

I tried to make good decisions at dinner before the theater. I made good main dish decisions, but ended up having two bao, which were much higher in calories than I expected--surprised me when I put them in My Fitness Pal. On the credit side, I did put them in MFP! I should have had just one. There were sweets out to buy during intermission. DH had a cookie. I had a water. No sweets. I saw them and thought "those don't have anything to do with me". Big credit for that.

No exercise today but will get a lot this weekend continuing to work on clearing the lot.

G'night all

--Beth
Old 08-04-2018, 06:49 AM   #20  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Saturday - Anne Frank and her family found hiding (1944, Amsterdam)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – At the supermarket, I found myself dawdling over choosing a watermelon from a bin of fairly identical ones. I finally realized that my objective wasn't getting the best watermelon but was to dawdle in the air-conditioned store for a while longer. I didn't buy anything remotely resembling bad snacking food, CREDIT moi. Gazpacho made with our garden's cukes was an exquisite dinner. Our first full-sized red tomato arrived. So amazingly different from shipping tomatoes.

DW and I watched a DVD of the 1967 film In the Heat of the Night which I was drawn to see after reading its criticism by James Baldwin. It's hard to face that I've known our country when the male citizenry as depicted in the fictional Sparta, Mississippi actually existed. Baldwin, of course, criticized that the only way a black man could be in a movie script was when he was smarter, cooler, and grander than life - so different that it was OK. I must have seen it sometime over its 50-year life since I remembered what was going to happen in each scene just before it did. Sidney Poitier and Rod Steiger both played their stereotype roles with enough nuance to be worth the show.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yay for paved roads for walking.

maryann – Kudos for doing your stretching. I might need to increase my efforts there since my feet seem to be getting further and further away.

curlyjax – Poignant thought, "The loss of a shared history is a huge thing." The loss of my sister hit me hardest when I wanted to tell her about a trivial encounter with Carnival King Cake.

Beth (bethturnaround) – Good grief! Cat on a Hot Tin Roof premiered 12 years before my movie was made. Hope the weather is mild enough to help you clearing your lot.

Readers -
Quote:
day 12 Practice Hunger Tolerance

Yesterday, you leaned the differences between hunger, desire, and cravings. Today's task is a little tougher. You're going to learn how to tolerate hunger.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 121.
Old 08-04-2018, 10:57 AM   #21  
Green Tomatoes

I weighed and it was up. But I'm not letting it bug me today. I have so many other things to be bugged about that are a whole lot bigger than one day's scale reading. And, there's one or two that I can actually do something about, so I'm going to focus on those. In Beck parlance, I have Day 40 work to do.

Credits:
  • posted four days in a row
  • planned today, taking into account that I want to do something differently than yesterday since I want different results

Weigh-in: +0.5 kgs, Exercise: +25, 100/1200 minutes for August
Old 08-04-2018, 01:34 PM   #22  

S/C/G: ?/139/130

Height: 5'5"

Yesterday was a bit of an off plan day for me. I was only over by about 200 calories, but I also didn't exercise. When I checked my phone to see what the scheduled workout would be and also got a text from a gym friend saying she wasn't going, I decided to skip too. I know I would be scaling the workout to my level, which is not uncommon, but I just didn't feel like doing that yesterday. I know how well things go when I do things the way I feel like doing rather than just being disciplined and doing it, but that was what happened. I did read some of my Beck book and my cards and did some things around the house and a Costco run. I got on the scale today and it is not going up or down, today I'm thank full for that. I've also read some of the book and my cards. I was careful with breakfast and will be with lunch, because we are meeting friends for a beer and a burger for dinner. I've been watching the Crossfit Games on the computer and enjoying watching the super fit young people competing.

Waving to everybody and hoping you all have a good weekend.
Old 08-04-2018, 01:53 PM   #23  

S/C/G: +71/+17.2/0

Quick check in to say I'm still reading your updates.

The scale is in a holding pattern and today will mark 52 days on plan. I use the Lose It app, which came out a little bit before MFP, and it counts the days I check off as complete. It's a nice feature they've added to keep me motivated.

Your posts made me realize I haven't read the green beck book, only the red and the blue ones. I'll have to check that one out too!

Have a nice weekend, everyone!
Old 08-04-2018, 11:08 PM   #24  
formerly bethfromdayton

Hi everyone!

Spent an exhausting day doing yard work at our lot--I really hope we sell it easily because now that we know we're not building, I just want it to be done with. We were doing some woodchipping and a neighbor walked by and told us that the village picks up brush the first week of every month in the summer. Checked the website--sure enough. So we dragged brush instead of woodchipping it--I'm sure it will save us hours of time (not to mention an incredible amount of gasoline)

Food was totally OP. I had 3 products (as planned) and just what I'd planned/was supposed to for dinner. I'm actually a bit low on calories today but don't need another snack tonight.

As we were working hard today (second 2 hour chunk of time), I thought "I deserve ice cream" and then I thought, "no, food in not something you deserve. You don't need ice cream. Ice cream is a treat you plan for, not something you just decide on because you deserve it". So, I talked back to myself well, and no ice cream occurred. So, major credit for that.

Tomorrow--more yard work. I'm traveling for work next week and looking forward to NO yard work. I'll have to figure out where to walk--I know there aren't any great places to walk right near my hotel.

penny: Thanks for checking in. The green is probably my least favorite of the three.

karenrn: Credit for cards and reading. And credit for recognizing that you do best while disciplined rather than doing what you feel like. I find recognition is the first step on the path to solution.

Joy: 4 days in a row is great--big credits

BillBlueEyes: Since I'm on a low carb plan, watermelon isn't on it. This time of year I could live on watermelon. Maybe I'll plan a treat for myself :-)

G'night all!

--Beth
Old 08-05-2018, 05:34 AM   #25  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - The US, Britain, and the Soviet Union sign the limited Test Ban Treaty(1963)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Lunch was a tomato sandwich, CREDIT moi - first of the season. Unbelievably good. The tomato was HUGE so that one slice covered a slice of bread. It felt low calorie, but might not have been given that the bread had to first be covered with mayonnaise. There are a few more tomatoes that big coming along. Seems late for this to just begin in August. It was a zero snack day; CREDIT moi for that alone.

Entertainment was watching a DVD of all three episodes of The BBC’s Casual Vacancy miniseries by J. K. Rowlings. After I got over waiting for Hermione to appear to make it all better, I was glued to the screen. Eloquent visuals of the English countryside and a gripping tale that isn't trivially predictable. Don't know how Rowlings has the imagination to keep producing new ideas. My Beck accomplishment was to add an item to my list of Advantages: I want to look and feel good for an anniversary event next summer when I'll see folks whom I've not seen for years. It's embarrassing that that feel more motivating than my doctor's warning that healthy living leads to a longer life.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Thanks for the reminder that day 40, Enrich Your Life, is a part of the changes that Beck recommends to keep on track.

Karen (karenrn) – Only 200 calories over plan on a day that includes a Costco run is a win from my perspective. FREE samples at Costco are a big challenge for me.

Beth (bethturnaround) – "You don't need ice cream" is just terrific. Kudos for an OP day.

Penny. – Super Kudos for 52 days on plan. That's big. Beck's Green Book has its own slightly different approach.

Readers -
Quote:

Are you concerned about being hungry? When I ask dieters this question, they invariably answer no - initially. But when I suggest today's exercise, most of them become uncomfortable. Some have said, "I'm not concerned about it, I just don't want to be hungry." It turned out, though, that there was more to it. They were anxious. At some level, they didn't know if they could actually tolerate being hungry.

Old 08-05-2018, 10:08 AM   #26  
Green Tomatoes

After three salads yesterday, I hoped to see the scale go down instead of stay virtually the same. One was a restaurant salad -- walnut avocado. Next time, I'll try leaving half of the walnuts and avocado, because I'm guessing that's way more calories than I estimated.

Credits:
  • posted five days in a row
  • planned today, including making meal plans for the week and shopping

Weigh-in: +0.05 kgs, Exercise: +45, 100/1200 minutes for August
Old 08-05-2018, 12:46 PM   #27  

S/C/G: ?/139/130

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

We had a great time out for dinner with friends last night and I ate exactly what I planned. They are both retired so they aren't here much in the summer. I look forward to the time dh is retired and we will be out of here all summer, or most of it, also. I'm sure I was over calorie wise for the day, but breakfast and lunch were good and no snacks. I got on the scale this morning and I'm actually down a smidge. Today I'm making lasagna so I can put it in the freezer for dh. He wants lasagna, macaroni and cheese and enchilada casserole for the time I'm gone. Those are easy things to make and freeze in single or double servings for him. He has been losing a few pounds here and there so having a little higher calorie meals will be nice for him. Actually he is 10 pounds lighter than when he ran the Boston Marathon in 1996 and thinner than I've ever known him to be. Men! , except you of course, Bill. I'm just glad I don't have to also cook for the dog before I go like I did when Harley was alive.

I've read a bit of the book and my cards this morning. I also found my older set of Advantages cards so just shuffled them in to the deck even though some of them are the same. I haven't purchased the pink or blue books. I only have the green one because I saw it on sale at Borders years ago. I think I may have borrowed the pink book from the library some time ago. Maybe I'd better get the e-book and reread it.

Meals are planned for the day, including spaghetti for dinner with a little of the left over sauce. We have pasta so seldom that it will be a real treat. My goal is to really mind my portion. I'll let you know how that goes.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!
Old 08-05-2018, 05:57 PM   #28  

S/C/G: +71/+17.2/0

I have a new cookbook, put out by the Mennonites in 1976 called More With Less. The meals are very frugal but the "pizza rice casserole" I made today is higher calorie than I had hoped. Ha! That must have been why I was drawn to it. Pizza! Everyone loves it. I'm going to beef up a half portion with my garden tomatoes and a drizzle of balsamic for dinner.

Heading out for the dog walk and plan to pick up the green beck book. Btw,I liked the red one more than the blue but they each contribute to keeping the focus.
Old 08-05-2018, 11:28 PM   #29  
formerly bethfromdayton

Hi everyone,

This is the end of my first week of my new tracking spreadsheet. My intent is to post it here every Sunday. I have not planned the week's meals because there's nothing to plan. I am traveling for work this week Mon-Fri, and then traveling the weekend to see my mother-in-law.
Food was OP today but I just wasn't up to cooking, given the yard work, all the stuff I needed to get done for my volunteer work, and laundry/packing to leave. But I made exactly the choice I intended to (fajitas), decided not to eat any chips and didn't, decided to only have one tortilla (so I told them to only bring one). I never ask to not get the rice but I only had a few forkfuls.

I think my decision to start a new spreadsheet was a good one--and every so often I'll switch it up and re-define what I track. For now, this seems pretty good.

G'night all.

--Beth
Old 08-06-2018, 05:40 AM   #30  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - Hiroshima (1945)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Ate reasonably, despite two opportunities to do otherwise. We brought dinner from Whole Foods to the house of our DS and his SO to catch up on their renovation. I carefully chose a quart of grilled veggies and only a pint of tortellini. I had one small serving of the tortellini, one small serving of the lean roast beef, and two servings of the tomato salad and veggies. I left the extra roast for DS to make lunch today. I limited myself to rational eating at a noon community lunch that was based on a hot soup. Hot soup in these temperatures just feels wrong. And their renovation? Their version of the unexpected was to discover that the old plumbing was the best cast iron pipe ever made - the kind that lasts hundreds of years. Unfortunately, it wasn't designed correctly with venting to meet modern standards so it all has to be replaced. Ouch!

I weighed myself, CREDIT moi. I've been back to weekly weighing for two months now. I had stopped for no good reason. The results were a weight gain. Guess what - monitoring my weight is a necessary strategy to keep on my path. Who'd have thunk? That needs to be written down somewhere.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Walnuts and avocado sound great - even if you have to leave half.

Karen (karenrn) – Congrats for being down a smidge despite an evening out. You're a hero for making a freezer full of food for your DH while you're away.

Beth (bethturnaround) – Forkful is a new word for me but you and the Cambridge dictionary are enough to make me a believer. Encouraging sentence, "But I made exactly the choice I intended."

Penny. – Your More-With-Less Cookbook sounds neat. It's such a challenge to be frugal without just falling into pasta.

Readers -
Quote:

When people who struggle with dieting get hungry, they often feel hunger pangs intensely. The sensations can feel like an emergency. All their attention gets focused on how uncomfortable they feel - and when and where they can get food. They begin to think they won't be able to stand feeling that way.

Closed Thread