Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 06:10 AM   #121  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Sunday - Marie Curie announces discovery of radium (1903, France)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Spent a zillion hours online trying to figure out which dishwasher to buy. Ugh! We've always used Maytag but other brands now get a higher rating from Consumer Reports. I may go with my gut and stick with them. Comparing features to see why one costs hundreds of dollars more than another is nearly impossible. Each store carries its own model number so that comparison is difficult. It does appear that one model is quieter - but with a significantly smaller motor which is a negative for me. DW just wants it to be magically installed without her knowing anything about the process.

Eating was OK. There was much fluffing about because DW's garden is part of a walking tour sponsored by the local garden club. It's a tour of small city gardens - hers is about medium sized for the group.

maryann - Congrats for being the new sorghum wiz. Can you make it tasty?

nationalparker – Four hours is a looooong dance recital. Had to google Grantchester - looks fun at the exercise bike level.

Karen (karenrn) - Congrats for finding inexpensive entertainment with My Talking Pet. I enclose a link so everyone can waste their day watching just like I just did, LOL. [DW told me that we're paying $1/mango - jealous of your price.]

curlyjax - Eight teenage boys is a powerful bunch of energy. Congrats for decoding the British rail system in advance.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 1 The Key to Success

My Story

I personally can understand the challenges that dieters face, and I also can attest to the success of using Cognitive Therapy to overcome them. I started dieting as a teenager and went on and off diets for many years. I, too, had lots of sabotaging thoughts, such as:
  • I should eat as little as possible.
  • If others don't see me eating, it doesn't really count.
  • If I give in to temptation, it's my fault for being weak.
  • If I eat something I hadn't planned to eat, I may as well abandon my diet for the whole day.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 23.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 06-25-2017 at 06:43 PM.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:51 AM   #122  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

hi coaches! We had our 19th anniversary this week, so we went out to dinner last night. The place was only half full on a Saturday night which was a surprise, I’m thinking its summer and many folks are away or outside. food was very good and although I ate too many carbs, i brought some leftovers home too so that was good. Afterwards we went to Savers where DH bought two books and I found one pair of shorts and came to the conclusion yet again that yes, I do need to lose weight, it hasn’t just miraculously melted away. My shorts are all too tight but i don’t want to go to the next size, that seems like admitting defeat!!

One of the outdoor pools is offering a reduced price for weekends only-I’m contemplating if its worth it or not. We would be around for six weekends plus the two holidays, but we would actually go. I may zip over there today to look at it anyhow. I do miss sitting around a pool in the summer, its very relaxing.

Karenrn- that my talking pet is hilarious! I would totally spend hours on it if I had pets.
Bill- I would like to see you “fluffing about”! Or maybe the tour folks were doing the fluffing. Anyhow, DW must have a very nice garden to be part of the tour.
National parker- that dance recital is way too long! And yes, what is the deal with the parents participating? I would think a lot of people including small tykes simply couldn’t sit thru that length.
Maryann-Good job on all the prep and planning! that will definitely pay off.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:38 PM   #123  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Hello, coaches! Light eating day, so not really on plan as it's one of the more substantial days on the plan, but it'll all average out. Lunch tomorrow will be out with my brother's granddaughter at an upscale (my description) candy store that has a cafe. Last time they brought her here, she chose licorice pastiles and that's all. Rare that a kid doesn't go crazy with wanting a lot in a candy store with an indulgent set of grands.

Brunch was at a nephew's home and fun to spend time with everyone and see their kids playing. Enjoyed my time with them all - four tykes four and under in two families. Time well spent.

A bit frustrated at SIL who was very snappy today, once at my brother and once aimed at both of us. She's always been fairly blunt and a bit oh, not harsh ... biting, maybe? Anyway, I'm sure she's under a lot of stress, but that doesn't make it easier on anyone. DH and I got our return tickets to visit later this summer, so I can see my brother again. I think we'll do a day or two at a beach before flying home.

Got it in my head again that I'm running out of summer. Why? Because my plans are encroaching on fall for some things. I need to keep reminding myself to grasp what I can to enjoy each day. So today I'm holding onto the memories of our time together with their sons and families for a few hours.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:33 AM   #124  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - United Nations charter signed (1945, San Francisco)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked, CREDIT moi, a tour of city gardens with my DS. DW wasn't available to go with us because . . . because her garden was on the tour and she had to stay home as hostess. It's unbelievable what folks can do with small yards. Small yards and hard work. In one garden, there were dozens of beautiful rocks in the thousand pound range. There is much hidden behind small houses. I also learned that if you accidently leave a few Koi in the pond overwinter instead of bringing them to the basement with the others, they'll survive anyway. Hardy fish, those carp.

Eating was off; each gardener insisted on handing me something to eat and drink while gawking at their wonder. I even had some Easter candy - without thinking about how old that must be, LOL. I had planned to take DW to dinner since she'd be exhausted and have no time to cook. We were both full of cookies and junk so opted for a local Japanese fast food place where we each had a simple bowl of whatever. I have now had my year's quota of tofu in one sitting.

nationalparker – Kudos for understanding that your SIL was snappy and that you didn't have to escalate the situation. Neat that you enjoyed all the tykes running about.

curlyjax - Happy Anniversary - may you have many, many more. Kudos for bringing home some of your restaurant food.

Readers -
Quote:

My Story

How did I finally succeed at losing weight and keeping it off? I learned from patients I counseled. One of the first people I worked with when I became a psychologist was a woman who suffered from depression and anxiety. After several weeks of therapy, she began to feel better and told me she had a new goal: She wanted to lose weight. Well, it was easy for me to see how unrealistic and inaccurate her thoughts were when it came to eating and dieting. I could readily see how she needed to change her thinking so she could change her eating behavior. I learned a lot from her and from many subsequent patients who also wanted to lose weight. Then I applied what I had learned to myself, and I lost 15 pounds. That was many years ago, and I've kept it off ever since.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 23.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:35 AM   #125  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Otis and I are back from our walk and finished with the morning training outdoors. We have to cut our walk short enough to get the training in for now before it is too hot to do it. He is doing well even with dh walking around and being a distraction (which he needs to learn how to do).

Saturday night we went out to a new bar/restaurant with a friend that we met when we first moved here. She will actually be our neighbor again when we move back to our friends condo (while the kitchen is being remodeled). The restaurant, called the Vig, has several different locations, but this one is really great. It's just a couple of blocks from the trailhead I hike out of often. I was wanting nachos, so we shared them and then I had 1/4 of a grilled chicken burger. The nachos were so overloaded, and I certainly ate my share or more. I got on the scale today to see no gain, which is great. Of course I got back on plan yesterday even though I did feel it was a little more difficult after indulging.

Maryann I think I have to agree with you, 25 lbs of oats is "Frugal Insanity". I can get very hooked on YouTube also, but what a great source of information. Lately I've been checking out older people who start Crossfit and of course I always like the hiking videos. There are some incredible videos showing people on the John Muir Trail and Pacific Crest Trail this year. The stream crossings make me nervous just watching the videos.

Nationalparker A four hour dance recital, dear Lord that is way too long. I think they need to shorten a few of the numbers. Sounds like you're having a good time. It's always fun to see the little ones, isn't it? Hey, about summer, it just started! Seems like it's been around a long time to me too, but it really just started.

Bill Good luck with the dishwasher selection. We have an LG, but are getting a new one with the new kitchen. I think the biggest thing for me, besides being quiet, is the racks. How about putting a photo of your garden on here? I'm sure we would all love to see it.

Curlyjax Happy Anniversary! We had our 30th on the 6th of June. I am also wishing you many more! So what sites do you use for the trip planning and how is it going? Remind me when you go again.

Last night we did the salad with protein thing for dinner. It was great. I just put some taco seasoning on chicken breasts and baked them in the oven. I think I mentioned dh is giving up cheese and we had just a little grated cheese left in the house, so I used that and some avocado. Dh is almost at his high school weight (of course he was playing football then, so it was arranged slightly differently). He is wanting to lose about 10 pounds which will be great for his health. He is on meds for BP (which may not change since even the thin people in his family have hypertension), and also a statin. I'm hoping he can get off the statin.

Well anyway, I guess I'm rambling. I'm happy cause I'm feeling good and was glad to see the scale didn't jump over going to happy hour. I guess the biggest thing when I have a treat is to enjoy it and then get back to basics.

Have a great start to the week!
Old 06-26-2017, 10:42 PM   #126  
Enjoying la bella vita

I hate it that my time visiting is growing short. I take him to chemo tomorrow and then when he's resting in the afternoon, I'll meet up with a friend for my last full day here. Food today has been good with just a couple of malted milk balls mixed in from the candy shoppe. Wonder what the scale will show on Friday. Dinner was a pasta salad with asparagus, peas, peppers and chicken meatballs. Different. Meals have not been wheat-less.

Bill - Thanks for sharing about the garden tour - that is neat! Did you return home with any inspiration? I came home last week after touring that master gardener's yard with lots of thoughts about mine. Of course, she's had hers for 20 years

Karen - You have me thinking about our training with our dog in classes at the Humane Society. Lots of distractions there and a VERY stubborn dog who refused to sit. I ended up waiting her out so often and was about at my tether. Now, she's very obedient unless the Fed-Ex or UPS guy comes to the door. Then all bets are off. Before Otis graduates, test him with the delivery guy. HA. Continued kudos for working the WW plan to fit your life and goals. That's wonderful.

CurlyJax - I missed congratulating you on your anniversary - hopefully many more. Seems like you set a good example of a supportive, collaborative relationship with your DH for your kids. That's important.

Silverbirch - Hope this week finds you well. Any summer plans for you? I want to compile a list of things I want to tackle this summer and get on it. Realized I can part easily (?) with my wedding dress and heels... so want to remember to do that. I was going to post that on the other forum on decluttering, but haven't accessed that in a while. Figured I'd do that to not forget.
Old 06-27-2017, 04:22 AM   #127  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Back from my mother's where all is well and everyone is very pleased at the replaced ceiling in the workshop/garage. Like any house, it's a constant job to keep it all running along smoothly. Food was quite good. I made a large amount of bolognaise sauce which kept three of us going for many meals plus some for the freezer.

And that brings me to how I'm getting along. (Thank you for asking, nationalparker.) At one level, I'm recovering from being at Mum's, the journey, the work and the heatwave we've just had. But there's more under the surface, I realise. I can't remember whether I mentioned that I've just edited a piece about fatigue management and how I realised that I am (long-term) fatigued rather than tired. I've been thinking about the last few years and how I've been on the back foot for some time. There isn't much in the tank and what there is, is quickly used up. The last two years have been extraordinarily demanding and, no surprise here, have coincided with bad weight gain. That's been caused by stress (and its hormone cortisol), some degree of comfort eating and some degree of eating sugar (which is quite bad at present) just to keep one foot in front of the other.

My current approach is to try to hack down the long grass, as it were, and then to look at the detail. Whilst keeping everything else going along. I'd given myself a week of this, and then I'd reassess. I'll spare you the details but there was a plan yesterday, all was going quite well and I rang the dentist about a possible crack in a tooth. I thought I could make an appointment for later in the week, they had an appointment yesterday, I took it (strike whilst the iron is hot!), x-rays, fault line in tooth, dead nerve, need root canal treatment. Root canal work is difficult for me as I've had a number of bad experiences. Anyway, to cut a long story short, I think I'll go and have it done round the corner from my Mum's. It's very, very near: perhaps three minutes on foot. Although she is several hundred miles away, this feels better than having to schlep over to Manchester, find the place, deal with the not very nice dentist etc etc. Getting this far took all afternoon, evening and bad sleep last night. Now it's morning and I've had a two course breakfast.

Thanks for listening, friends. This current phase, which 'should' be easier, is just like walking through treacle. My plan is to find energy through exercising every day (this slipped whilst I was on the road in May) and to return to the high fat, low carb diet. But not too high fat. Do you find this a challenge, onebyone?

maryann, thanks for asking about the Wars of the Roses (1455-1485) as it's given me something else to think about. As relaxation when I got back here, I had a go at a paragraph or two for you which I'll post later. It really is a most complicated period of English history! I've been remembering tracing the Battle of Tewkesbury 1471 in the field a couple of years ago. It was a lovely summer's day but all too easy to imagine the noise and violence of 1471. The town is full of the banners of the powerful lords involved.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:09 AM   #128  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday - “Frankly, My Dear…” (1939, Rhett Butler, Gone With the Wind)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – CREDIT moi for ordering a dishwasher. I thought the effort was the time that I spent researching the machines (that I've already taken credit for). But I found out that the great bargain in price was matched by a humongous charge for installation. Seems that the plumbers have instigated more and more rules to keep making it more and more expensive. The ultimate surprise was that my credit card was "denied. You have to call your bank and get the hold lifted." Seemed more than strange to me but, much to my surprise, it was easy peasy to call the bank and get the hold lifted. The store called me back and all was well. It seems that my bank has the opinion that I don't buy major appliances online. Well, that's a fact. (Now I remember. The last time this happened was when I bought a car seat for the DGD. It seems that the bank has the opinion that I don't buy car seats at Toys-R-Us. I'm really curious to know what the bank thinks is appropriate for me to spend my money on, LOL.)

Evening lecture was about the future of the Digital Economy, Machine, Platform, Crowd: Harnessing Our Digital Future. It's not just AlphaGo beating the world champion of Go by 'reading' a zillion previous Go games. The authors referred to a new smartphone App that lets you jump into a yoga class when visiting a city - part of the whole concept of using a Platform to utilize perishable commodities. A whole new world is coming.

silverbirch – Ouch for having to deal with a root canal. Hope all works out. Kudos for leaving your mother with a freezer full of bolognaise sauce - that has me drooling. And good luck working on the fatigue issue; it's such a challenge in life to find time.

nationalparker – That's a full mixture for a pasta salad. Kudos for "Food today has been good" even while visiting. [Yes, from the Garden Tour I learned that our garden needs a dozen large boulders. And a few hundred more square feet to hold them, LOL.]

Karen (karenrn) - Kudos for eating only 1/4 of a grilled chicken burger at the new restaurant. Thanks for "biggest thing when I have a treat is to enjoy it and then get back to basics."

Readers -
Quote:

My Story

During the past 20 years, i've learned through trial and error what works and what doesn't. During this time, I discovered a number of crucial factors. For example, I've found that to lose excess weight and keep it off, it's important to do the following:
  • Choose a nutritious diet.
  • Create time and energy for dieting.
  • Plan what and when you're going to eat.
  • Seek support.
  • Deal with disappointment.
  • View overeating as a temporary problem that you can solve.
  • Cope with hunger and cravings.
  • Eliminate emotional eating.
  • Give yourself credit.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 24.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:39 AM   #129  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Hi Coaches- I came across some huge beets for 3.00 at the farmers market – a great deal!- and cooked them with their greens the other day. Very good and great to use both parts. I love the vibrant color of beets. Last night we finished them off and ate other bits of things for dinner. It’s so much easier to feed just the two of us adults who eat anything! I ate way too much chocolate yesterday so I’m glad I had other healthy things in me too.
Bill- wow, interesting that your bank is monitoring your purchases so closely! You must be extra special��
Karenrn- we’re leaving in about two weeks! I use tripadvisor a lot, and then town specific websites ie visityork type of thing. DH is looking into the fun stuff and I handle the transportation and other logistics/anxiety/thinking about the reality of teenager amusements. So hopefully everything will be covered.
Silverbirch- sounds like you’re doing some good self assessment. Good luck at the dentist, something many of us put off.
Nationalparker- good job on staying in control at the candy shop! That is tough.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:56 AM   #130  

Good morning coaches,

I feel quite productive this morning because I have walked and trained the dog and finished the ironing. Food was a little off plan yesterday because after getting the number on the cabinets (big), I had a couple of beers with dh. Luckily even though he was the one who thought the kitchen would not cost all that much, he is not freaking out. Honestly it will probably cost about what I initially thought.

Curlyjax I love beets too. That sounds like a bargain. Like other vegetables that have gotten popular, the price seems to increase with their popularity. I've used TripAdvisor quite a bit too. They seem to have lots of good information. I especially like to read other traveler's reviews.

Bill "A whole new world is coming" is a scary thought to me. I feel like we're already in a whole new world. I'm so proud of myself for kind of keeping up, but I don't know how much more keeping up I can do. Yesterday I used an ap I purchased some time ago called Photomyne. I scanned old photos of myself from childhood. I just did enough to see how easy it is. I plan to scan some old albums and possibly share with the brothers. I was glad to find easy instructions on YouTube.

Silverbirch I wish I could give you some of my time that you could use to rest. I went through a spell about 15 years ago where I was fatigued also. I was a hospice nurse in Washington and during a five year span cared for my parents who weren't that old, but died anyway, and a sister in law who also died. I was running from dawn to dusk trying to handle everything. I now wish I would have kept my daytimer calendars that I used to stay on track. Now I have more time than I know what to do with, at least in the summer. It sounds like you have a good plan with how to deal with this, so good luck in keeping the plan in place.

Nationalparker That sounds like an unusual but tasty pasta salad. I guess the meatballs were not in the salad, huh? I hope you have a nice visit with your friend today. I'm looking forward to being able to go to Washington and have a visit at my brother and sister in law, but I don't think it will happen this year. I do have a couple of high school friends that still live there too.

Well, off to do a little packing. I really don't have all that much more to do . . . or maybe it's like when you move and you think there are only a couple of boxes and there is a lot more. I'll let you know.

Last edited by karenrn; 06-27-2017 at 11:58 AM.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:46 PM   #131  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Evening, Coaches. Working at CSUMB on the third floor of the library which over looks the Pacific Ocean. First night of sleeping in the dorm and first day of training for AP Literature under my belt.

Credits:
Beach walk last night.
Walking from dorm to training which is a 20 minutes (both ways up hill it felt like )
Counting points even if I am over a bit.
2 protein drinks for snacks instead of carb fest offered.
Weight at ticker

Oh Wells
Could be the worst presenter I have had in 25 years in the profession. Seems nice enough but nods off in the middle of phrases, sets the groups off on vague assignments and neglects to bring us back together in a timely manner, gives the wrong answer keys, etc. . . Wow. But I have done some networking with the people and found things I can really use. I guess the final three days, I will spend getting myself acquainted with the materials while she muddles on.

Bare bones dorms. When they suggest bringing personal soap it means there is no soap in the bathroom. I thought it meant if you use a special "type" of soap. Apparently a fitted bottom sheet is a luxury. Nostalgia galore. Every door opened echoes through the floor. Did I live like this for a year at one point in my life? Did I sleep?

So good and bad like most things. Beautiful here. I will eat another OP meal and take another walk. I plan to also spend time cleaning up my notes from this past year so my curriculum will be tighter. It is always good to keep an open mind and to keep digging for gems to use.

Wave to all.

Last edited by maryann; 06-27-2017 at 08:50 PM.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:13 AM   #132  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default Renew

Coaches

Out of the blue I got a call from the Town offering me a community garden plot. Seems I am first on the waitlist. I guess I've been waiting a few years, unbenowst to me. I recall calling about one to be told there were none available (60 spaces for a town of 228K!!). I guess I went on a waiting list then. Today I came off the list. The Town person could not believe what happened. I was offered a one year only plot, 20x10 perennial plot. You get the perennial who h gives you overwintering of crops privileges only after you've proven yourself first with a 10x10, then a 10x20(seasonal) plot and then you are offered the perennial space. The gardener who has space P6b is injured so cannot work that soil and it's gone to weed. I was offered the space for free(!) so it would be used but next year, I was told, I'd go back to top of the wait list. I said yes inspite of my schedule etc cause it's nice to be in a community garden. I signed the lease, came home, got a call from the Town person telling me "You won't believe this. I just got a call from the gardener in 21A, a 10 x 10 seasonal plot, the fees are paid, you can have it for free, and it would be your plot next year as well." I'd have a garden and it'd be smaller so less weeding to get started, and mine. I said yes. Better deal. So, I now have a garden plot. At this late date it's all plants no seeds, though my Cosmonaut Volkov tomatoes would work well in it possibly even from seed!

In other news I cleared the studio so I can work in it again. The car remains full of stuff that needs to come into the house so I am about ready to begin dealing with things once more.
Food wise I am refocused. My clinic day showed me exactly the same so I have not lost anything in a month. Next time I go I want a loss. My walking reading an decluttering plan has fallen by the wayside. The first part of my community block printing project happens on Canada Day this Saturday and I have yet to have the block pieces in my hand. Tomorrow or Thursday it will happen.

DH is on holidays next week. I have managed a gift for him I think. Just waiting for confirmation. He'll be Falconer of the Day at the Ontario Falconry Center on July 23. It's not really "the day" though. It's an hour. He'll love it though.

Better go. It's late and I'm tired.

Silverbirch: I know the fatigue you speak of. As for the high fat low carb foodplan, it works for me. I stray, yes I do, but I am.more on it than off. I enjoy being on it but The World of Food Out There can be tempting to me and particularly hard to resist when tired out and weary. You are right about the cortisol. Weight will not be released when it's in the bloodstream. Another reason to chill out and find your peace and joy. It's good for the heart figuratively and literally.

Old 06-28-2017, 05:52 AM   #133  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday - Treaty of Versailles signed (1919, France)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walk, CREDIT moi, started by dropping off three books at a sidewalk library. It was only three books, but each little step helps. On the other hand, DW asked me to buy four books for her online - my specialty. I did. But there was a bargain for buying the fifth book and a super bargain for buying the sixth. I did that also. So three books gone and two books ordered. It's still a net positive.

Food was OK. There was no eating dinner on the patio due to thunderstorms. The rain dropped the temperatures enough that we've closed all the windows in the house and I'll have to turn off the heating system to keep it from trying to fight the cold. We don't believe in heat during the summer.

onebyone – Of course I should have expected you to grow Cosmonaut Tomatoes. Congrats on winning the lottery on the community garden plot. It does seem a tad late for starting tomatoes from seed. Is it possible to jump start this year with seedlings? Love the thought of "Falconer of the Day."

maryann - Good grief! CSUMB is spectacular. What a place to let the mind rise up to AP level thinking. Kudos for walking out your door for a walk on the beach. Double Kudos for coming back, LOL.

Karen (karenrn) - Ouch for the reality of prices on kitchen cabinets. It's even worse because we see them advertised at the home centers for really cheap; then discover that the least expensive ones are undesirable. Glad that you've got your DH onboard for that one. [Yep, Kudos, indeed, for keeping up. I've still got to hail an Uber or Lyft to feel part of the new world.]

curlyjax - Yay for beets; Double Yay for beets at a bargain price.

Readers -
Quote:

My Story

You don't yet know how to do all these things - or how to get yourself to continually do these things - but you will.

With the Beck Diet Solution, you'll learn one new skill every day. By the end of six weeks, you'll have learned everything you need to continue losing weight and to be on your way to keeping it off - permanently.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 24.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:28 AM   #134  

Good morning coaches,

Just a quick note this morning. Weather is slightly cooler. Otis and I walked at 83 degrees this morning, so the walk was a little longer and the training is now in the front of the house. That will take some getting used to for Otis, more distractions even at the very early hour we are there.

A couple of extra snacks yesterday for no good reason. Today I will rein it in no matter what. Gym this morning and then the car goes to the shop for an oil change and general look over before I drive to California in a couple of weeks. I always hope that if it has a good look over I won't have any surprises. My car is 10 years old, but just hit 90,000 miles and I hope to keep it a lot longer.

More later or tomorrow.

Karen
Old 06-28-2017, 02:08 PM   #135  
Enjoying la bella vita

Hello, coaches! I fly out this afternoon and get home around 11 ... luckily I have something left to wear so no late night laundry. I'll see if DH will pick up a rotisserie chicken on his way home tonight to help with a lunch for tomorrow. As much as I have to leave here, I am looking forward to getting back home. I like returning home with just a few days of work before a weekend. Work will be uber busy, though, and have to handle a tough review so I need to isolate myself a bit to write without distraction. This is my mother's birthday - good reminiscences.

CurlyJax - I'm excited to hear more about your trip as plans come together! I'd love to go to Liverpool and take the Beatles tour Fun, campy stuff like that I enjoy. Let me know if you need a tagalong! Ha ha! How is your DH feeling now?

Bill - I'm with you on the opposite season ban on HVAC. We've had terrible thunderstorms down here but no temp drop. Looking forward to the slightly cooler home temps DH is promising. Ran into the resident snake here a few times this week ... I'm not a big fan of his and it's amazing how quickly something slithering through grass or on the deck catches your eye. We had a detente today. So from now on on all visits I will carefully check the chairs.

OneByOne - Good deal on the garden plot - have you figured out how you'll handle that, time-wise? Good luck! I had one for two years but just couldn't keep it up with my job and travel. Good luck with all your summer projects! I, too, want to tackle a lot this summer and am excited to get started. I'd like to decide on a project per week to do, most likely not including the large home reno stuff that I'm not in complete control of, but rather my personal projects, while also keeping decluttering going. I want to enjoy a tidy home and not be putting that off for something else too often. I'm seeing that when I let that slide, it affects other personal choices.

Karen - Glad that Otis' training continues to go well! One takeaway that I still remember from our training at the Humane Society was that they told us that the dogs are using so much brain power that they need to drink often during training. We took a lot of water breaks, and even when I'm working with our dog at home, she'll often break away and run to her water bowl. I found that fascinating!

Maryann - Hope the rest of your training goes smoothly. Credits for staying on plan. What a beautiful area. Do you have until mid-August off?

Silverbirch - Good luck with the root canal. I've had one, and lucked out with a very smooth process, but still nothing I'd look forward to in any manner. I detest going to the dentist but last time went to my nephew here, so the apprehension was a bit less. Does your work continue through the summer months?

Last edited by nationalparker; 06-28-2017 at 02:16 PM.
Closed Thread