Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 11:35 AM   #61  

S/C/G: ?/139/130

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Food on plan. So far I've walked Otis and did a 20 minute training with him and some vacuuming. Heading for Crossfit in a few minutes. I'm pretty sure Otis has an ear infection. We have been drying his ears out with cotton after the swimming, but it may not work. I've made an appointment for him to see the vet this afternoon. Cockers are very prone to ear infections because their ears hang down and make for a humid environment.

We're supposed to have a couple of cooler days, like in the lower 90's . . yahoo. Then by the end of the week 110 or higher. I think I'll get a few errands done today and tomorrow, when it's more pleasant to be out and about.

Personals later or tomorrow.
Old 06-12-2017, 08:42 PM   #62  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: high water mark/working on it

Height: 5-4

Hello, everyone! I think it'll take me a few days to get caught up with posts because I'm back but have a lot to tackle both at home and at work. DH headed out to go get our pooch from his folks, a four-hour round trip to their house, if he gets out and talks at all, which of course, he has to do to not be rude. We got home around 11 p.m. yesterday to two lonely kitties ... the one who doesn't like to be touched or held nudged my face about every eight minutes through the night. I should have put her out of the room, but I wanted her to want me.

This was probably the most off plan - off ANY plan - vacation we've ever had, including cruises. I don't know what triggered in me the "who cares" mentality, but it was certainly in existence. I will get on the scale on Friday and take the number and adjust my ticker UP several more pounds, I'm sure. DH got on and told me to wait a few days - he's up 12 pounds from his low, and was ranging about 2-3 pounds around there, then BAM. I'm wavering between being mad at myself and just trying to figure out the "why" I ate without care for a week. I even had two donuts in a day. TWO. I can't get past that. I didn't care as much for one as I thought I would, so gave part to DH ... and he tried the other as well - but I can't say he ate most of either haha. OP today for each of us and we determined to get back with the FMD plan 100% ... but with me going out of town again for most of the rest of the month, only home 6 days split up, I think it'll be hard. Plus I don't want to spend all my time prepping DH's food. I need to figure out what best to do. Wish I had a huge soup pot to do double batches. I should hunt around - I might have an old pasta pot that can handle a double batch. Hm.

Off to put away veggies and fold laundry.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:40 AM   #63  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Default Tuesday

I ate too much yesterday. It was a rather broken-up day with too many different things to do which tends to make me eat. It's perpetually changing gear that does me in. I am not a multi-tasker but am called upon to do many tasks. And, yes, I do say NO - quite often!

Onward to Tuesday.

I'm so glad my summary of the political situation in the UK has helped. I've been reflecting recently about how much my very demanding university education underpins what I'm able to do. (Part of it was Politics.) It's such a fine line between education being demanding and education being all too much. So interesting to hear maryann on the subject this year. She is clearly a brilliant teacher.

Welcome back, nationalparker! You said, 'I don't want to spend all my time prepping DH's food.' I understand this may sound a bit harsh but is DH unable to make his own food? If he took responsibility for that (at least a bit - one or two standard meals maybe) it would perhaps take a lot of pressure off you. And he might enjoy it!

karenrn, ear infections are horrible. I hadn't thought of the humidity problem with cocker spaniels.

maryann, let's work together on preparing the house. Many hands make light work and all that.

curlyjax, how lovely to wander round the bookstore. I had the same urge the other day and then realised that our very small university town doesn't have one any more! Only charity shops and a secondhand bookshop. I was quite downcast.

Bill, I like the sound of your acquaintance and his phone. I need to get to that Stop Point before eating. I am of your DW's view: I would never reach into someone else's garden - except I think I might ... I'm also trying to follow the US political situation but I keep getting lost! I have two crib sheets on the go. The DB and I discuss matters every morning. He says I'm only interested in politics and gardening! This is a gross misrepresentation. I need to get weight loss on the list too.
Old 06-13-2017, 06:20 AM   #64  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Tuesday - Miranda rights established (1966, U.S. Supreme Court)

Diet Coaches/Buddies Spent the day writing stuff that I needed for an evening meeting. CREDIT moi for doing what I had to do - even though sometimes I feel writer's block when recording a single sentence. When I was paid to produce software, a blank sheet of paper inspired me to produce. When I want to produce English words, a blank sheet of paper feels like a threat. I did sit for two and a half hours in front of snacks that I ignored - worthy of CREDIT moi.

Temperature exceeded 90 degrees F so that even my gardener DW was wilted at dinner. She cut the heads off the Peonies just because they had run their course and were no longer beautiful. Gardening requires cold, straight-thinking action even while waxing eloquently about beauty.

silverbirch Yep, multi-tasking is a challenge for me, also. The next door neighbor is a mother of three and keeps many, many balls up in the air simultaneously.

maryann - Kudos for taking actions to protect yourself. Yay for a serendipitous serenity retreat.

nationalparker Seems like the right approach to focus on getting back on track more than angsting over why the divergence. Neat to recognize that a larger pot might ease your time spent cooking.

Karen (karenrn) - Kudos for your consistency keeping up with training Otis. I had to tell DW that you called lower 90's "cooler days."

curlyjax - Thanks for the reminder that the high temperatures require "just need to combat the ice cream cravings."

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 1 The Key to Success

How Cognitive Therapy Works

Cognitive Therapy teaches people how to solve problems, and dieters can have lots of problems. For example, have you ever strayed from a diet for any of the following reasons:
  • You finished all of the food on your plate but didn't feel satisfied.
  • You felt upset and thought that eating would make you feel better.
  • You were too tempted by the sight of food when shopping at the supermarket.
  • You were too tired to cook, so you opted for fast food instead.
  • You were too polite to turn down the dessert that your friend baked.
  • You were at a party and felt like treating yourself.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 21.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:36 AM   #65  
Enjoying la bella vita

Another day, a better outlook on my part. Heart is still fluttering and not sure why. I got more sleep (thankfully!) last night and am off to an On Plan day. Will drive home at lunch to move pets around and make my lunch there. I don't have long when I do that - and I know it's a waste of gas, but I like the break from my desk and seeing the pets, as well as listening to a book on tape. Well, on a thumb drive. I date myself.

Silverbirch - You're right - DH CAN make his meals, esp on weekend. Normally, when not following the FMD plan, it's not a biggie at all, but with all of the restrictions on this one, there are no prepared meals that we pick up, except for a rotisserie chicken. But I'll be leaving him with ideas and a recipe for chimichurri, tomato and avocado salad with his grilled steak, and he will enjoy that. Many days he works about 10 hours and then I know when I'm gone, it's easier for him to take prepared soups out of the freezer and add the fresh fruit and veg to it, then get on with laundry, pet care, dog walking, yard, etc. It's a bit ironic because when I fully prep meal options and leave him a listing, he stays on track 100% and I stray because I'm on the road!

Bill - Please tell your DW that if she's strolling past my yard at any time in the future, feel free to mosey around back and pull any weeds she sees. I see a lot of them and wanted so much to get time in the garden this morning before work, but only time to soak everything. I'd put all my pots, hanging ones included, together for the petsitter to water as needed, and finally just got them back to their places.

Karen - Hope Otis' vet appt. was successful and ear infection was treated. Our dog has the drop ears as well, but avoids water at all costs. To the tune of if she hears the hose, she stands under a table on the patio. I have been known to test that because it cracks me up. Continued kudos for finding activities you enjoy that fit in with your life!

CurlyJax - Thanks for posting when you have challenges in your plan and following your plan, because that makes me feel less alone. I think I got frustrated at the amount of time I was spending on our healthy eating plan, but when I cut that back, I subbed in too many off plan items that were quick enjoyments (hello, $2 slice of pizza from Fresh Thyme!). I want to be able to be 90% on plan for my life - not rigid and uber-strict, but wonder if going off 10% will cause me to stray much more than that. But some of that is just fruits that aren't recommended for the active weight loss/metabolism reset time, not that the author expects you to never eat another banana or grapes, as she says...
Old 06-13-2017, 10:58 AM   #66  

Good morning coaches,

Food on plan. Otis and I had a nice walk this morning and we were able to go at 6:45 because it was so cool today. It got down to 68 degrees, but starting on Saturday it looks to be over 110 every day . . . even up to 116. Yikes! I'm glad I have my gym activities. Today we have a meeting here with all the people involved in the kitchen remodel. Hopefully we will have a better idea of the scope of the project and the timeline. Once we do I will know when to really be packing things up. The middle portion of our house has vaulted ceilings. These rooms include the living room, dining room, family room and kitchen. All of it will have to be packed up as far as pictures off the wall and nothing setting around as I know the construction dust will go everywhere. I just didn't want to get too much taken down too soon. For starters it wouldn't be comfortable for us and secondly you should see a cocker when things are out of place. He's having a fit that I have a box sitting on the hearth in the living room. We have a large open faced buffet type piece in the family room where I display some Italian pottery that I purchased over there on a couple of trips. I plan to have a furniture man come in and revise the piece and take the top off. We are going to put a large TV on the wall above it. I am thinking of having it painted to match the island, which may not be the same color as the rest of the cabinets in the kitchen. Lots to think about and hopefully the designer will help, because I know it is not my forte.

Well, yes indeed Otis has an ear infection. It was a good thing we went to the vet, for the ear infection for starters, while there I felt he had a knot on his left shoulder. Turns out he had a local reaction to last weeks vaccine. The vet aspirated it and he has a sterile abscess. So, that's the end of that vaccine for him, which was supposed to be annually, which may also mean no Dog Park (which dh opposes anyway) and probably no doggy daycare. Oh well. He'll go back in a week for a recheck. Hopefully things resolve. One thing I learned is that he is probably full size, other than possibly filling out a little more. He is just about 18 pounds. I actually really like his size, so I don't mind if he doesn't get bigger. Our last cocker was about 28 pounds.

Bill Oh I have always hated writing. I'm sure you are ever so much better at it than I am. When I was working on my master's in cardiovascular nursing, I'm sure I read three times as much as necessary to write a paper, cause it was just so difficult for me. Once I finished I said no more schooling for me.

Silverbirch I need to work on preparing the house for weightloss too. Or maybe not preparing for weightloss, but just organizing the closet and drawers. I have so many very casual hiking things and shorts. I can't bring myself to let loose of any of them when they fit. I have my dresser and also shelves in my closet and it seems things get put in a different place all the time, like where there is room. I've got to figure out a better system.

Nationalparker Glad you're back and getting organized. Maybe I'm crazy, but I think the FMD plan is very restrictive and difficult to follow. I know it is healthy and you have done well with losing, but for me it felt like I had to be "On" it or "Off" of it. All in all though, my main thoughts are always let everyone do what works for them.

Not too bad a day for me today. A little cleaning, yoga and the meeting at 1:30. I plan to go to the Y a little early today to see if there is anyone there who can show me how some of the machines work.

Have a good day everybody!
Old 06-13-2017, 12:04 PM   #67  

S/C/G: wk#2/ lost 2lbs/ goal 1lb wk

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

I had a good day yesterday. I actually am having fun keeping to my "no new clothes or jewelry" pledge that started March 1st. My one pair of PJs ripped AGAIN. I actually took out my sewing machine and mended them. It really made me understand how "throw away" I can become. I now polish my shoes more. I press and steam. I plan outfits and find new combinations everyday. I am very aware of the importance of OP so I don't out grow some options because I donate anything that doesn't fit or has been over loved. Another great benefit is how easy laundry has become. I know how to wash everything because I have fewer experiments. Fewer pieces get left on the ground in a changing frenzy. If all goes to plan, I will save the money needed to rent the Charleston house from the stash I have accumulated by not clothes shopping. I will also feel less apart of the consumer culture.

Goals for today are a walk and MUCH less sugar. Weight is at ticker.

I am finally off the anti seizure meds and it feel good. I had a challenging moment of conflict with DH (who is stressed from the farm) and was able to completely keep calm. I feel very good about the progress I have made since the mental health challenges a year and a half ago.

silverbirch:Nasty episode directly related to an unsafe food environment. I had hidden a box of cookie dough in the freezer. I NEVER buy it but one of my students was having a fundraiser. I ate four (let me repeat FOUR) before in desperation I filled the box with soap water and threw it away. House is now safe and sound. Thank goodness DH and DS are fine with keeping to the No CRA* rule in the place.
KarenRN: I remember the summers in Tucson when all out of doors chores had to be done by 9:00 a.m. It makes me remember whyClifornia coast property is so expensive. Cool here ( we're not on coast) but looking at 100s soon. I better get the garage cleaned before that happens.
nationalparker: It is an interesting question if 90% OP is sufficient to be successful. I think my ideas of On Practice fit with that. If the food part slips, the smaller portions and exercise my balance it out. When I was over 200 pounds, there was no thought of portions. A slip was followed by a jump into remorse and a box of kraft Mac and Cheese. I couldn't imagine eating a box of that today because of the healthy food that makes up my regular routine.
Nationalparker: It is such a challenge to eat healthy on the road. On my last trip I focused on walking an hour a day to help with the slip ups. It really worked and I am back at ticker just one day after getting home.
BBE: Let's remember you can do math equations. It is not fair to be able to do both math and write. (This theory makes me feel better about my math grades.)

Last edited by maryann; 06-13-2017 at 12:05 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:18 PM   #68  

S/C/G: wk#2/ lost 2lbs/ goal 1lb wk

Height: 5'6

Post Script: 5:15 pm and I'm closing the kitchen to myself. I must stop the sugar binge. I tell myself I can eat whatever I want tomorrow but today I'm done with sugar.
Old 06-14-2017, 04:30 AM   #69  
in development

Default Wednesday

I went through some clothes yesterday. They were in a sealed bag with the instruction to try on in summer 2014. Events overtook me and three years later I've got to them. They are almost all too small, as they were back in 2012 or 2013 when I put them away.

I could say I'm not sure what went wrong back then but I think I know. Illness and death in the family, work and school troubles all combined to take my focus away from weight loss to other more important places. It hasn't really been a case of just getting back on the wagon, more a case of dealing with one thing coming after another and another.

I'm starting to think that maybe I'm in a calmer place now, with fewer demands on me. Only starting to think that, mind, as I seem to be clenching my teeth in the day and making my jaw ache. Let's just hope that this is a short-lived phase.

I'll continue with preparing my environment which stretches beyond the food environment to things that are out of place and have been for a number of years. These things bog me down so I'm trying to make the decisions that are needed about them. I don't think that this could have been done any sooner than this, in fact. Yesterday's clothes adventure also included a bag of hand-me-downs for the DB. 'To be grown into' and now he has. We talk in terms of regaining cubic feet here because just one of those cubic feet makes all the difference in a tiny space. The SO is talking of going through some old papers when the DB and I are away next week. That might give us another cubic foot of light and air. I really am in favour of that.

So, onward once again.

maryann, I am so very pleased that you got rid of that box of cookie dough. Very Well Done. 'Cookie dough' is not part of my world and nor is 'box of Mac n Cheese': these things sound strange, alien and downright dangerous to me. I don't like to think of you anywhere near them. I'm very glad that nasty episode is over. Interesting you weren't able to put that cookie dough directly in the bin. Similar things have happened to me with boxes of cheap chocolates and biscuits/cookies.

karenrn, what is the difference between a living room and a family room? And, no, a cocker when things are out of place is going to be challenging. Can you tell him to loosen up? Go with the flow? Probably not!

nationalparker, your home life is busy and I do understand how extra busy it gets when one person is away. It can seem quite disproportionate. Some things like looking after the pets are non-negotiable, of course. Going home for lunch sounds a very nice thing to do - I've done that in the past.

Bill, I'm doing very much more writing of different kinds now. My approach is do a bit of research, draft a rough plan and then start to write things down. Doesn't matter if not full sentences or punc tuation % spelling wrong. Then move sentences and paragraphs around and edit very hard. No-one sees this phase of the work. What's that software phrase? Make one to throw away? It's kind of like that. All this just for what it's worth! And I'm so impressed that you are a person who ignores snacks on the table. You've made yourself into that kind of person. Credit!
Old 06-14-2017, 06:03 AM   #70  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Wednesday - UNIVAC I unveiled (1951, Philidelphia)

Diet Coaches/Buddies Walk, CREDIT moi, included stopping for the dental cleaning. I expected the standard lecture about needing to floss better. Much to my surprise, the new hygienist said, "Oh, you're a flosser!" I nearly had a heart attack. "Why yes, yes I am," I sputtered feeling like a fraud since I don't meet their requirement for daily flossing by a long shot. Perhaps I am getting better; I do take it seriously, just not daily seriously.

Eating was good enough, CREDIT moi. Grilled salmon on the patio for dinner started late and DW and I stayed out chatting until absolutely dark. We each had to detail exactly where we had been when the violent rainstorm passed over. I was home and watched two large tree limbs fall in the street. The water gushed down the street in a torrent. Surprisingly, traffic was constant both up and down our small side street that is usually lightly traveled. Seems that Waze in the mapping program that so many folks use had chosen our street because of downed branches on the major roads nearby. So we were the losers in the great Crowd Sourced routing. The normal traffic is slow and respectful; this traffic was fast and angry. The neighbors were talking about trying to get a speed bump to slow things down. Always something new.

silverbirch Thanks for the reminder that things out of place can bog one down. I have much room for improvement in that arena.

maryann - Kudos for being facile with a sewing machine. It's not a common talent these days. Yay for "today I'm done with sugar."

nationalparker "Books on Thumb Drive" just doesn't sound right, LOL. "Off to an On Plan day" sounds good.

Karen (karenrn) - Glad that you found Otis's ear infection early. LOL at his annoyance that things are out of place around the house.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 1 The Key to Success

How Cognitive Therapy Works

To successfully lose weight and keep it off, you need to solve these kinds of practical problems. You'll also need to solve some psychological problems, such as:
  • Feeling overwhelmed by the requirements of your diet
  • Feeling deprived
  • Feeling discouraged when you don't lose weight consistently or lose as much weight as you had hoped
  • Feeling stressed by other life problems
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 21.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:36 AM   #71  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

hi coaches- I have much to do today. I’m zipping down to see my folks on friday on the bus, then coming back in my aunts car with my aunt who will stay for a day or two. She is donating the car to us which is wonderful!! Its old and many miles but runs great and it will be helpful to have another car here for our third driver so she can increase her work schedule. I know its a luxury and am very grateful! Also DH’s car is very old with many miles so if it suddenly stops working its helpful to have a backup. Transportation is a big issue in the burbs.
Anyhow I need to clean up for her, plan my healthy snacking and entertainment for the bus, and get to work on some arrangements for our trip which is a month away, yikes!

Travelors- any recommendations for lightweight handbags that have lots of pockets? I have heard about travelon and bagalini bags, and am thinking about getting one-
thanks for any feedback!
Old 06-14-2017, 09:03 AM   #72  
persist

S/C/G: 290/291/150

Exclamation Season of the Doughnut

Coaches

I stayed away. I was moping. It was a bad reaction to two small bits of information that weren't bad in themselves in my medical tests last week. They weren't "bad" merely disappointing as in not meeting my expectations for myself.

I applied two doughnuts to the situation and it didn't improve. I tried the fried foods fix. No good. An extra sugar kick beyond that was of no physical benefit either. Now, almost a week later (it seems I need a week to turn this ship around) I am back to the beginning. The scale has actually righted me. Not the food. How odd is that? Scale bumped up to 265, 262, 268 and this morning, inexplicably, 261.
Well.
I will take that offering and hang on for my dear life and strive to be OP today.
I will have a good chance as my sister arrived last night. When she is here my days are very very full and very active. My plan is to get us to the nice park so we can walk the shore of Lake Wilcox, a "kettle lake".

I find summer the most challenging season for staying on plan. My propensity to "just enjoy this, it won't last" especially as it is applied to summer, good weather, and relaxation always always always wants to extend this attitude into the food and plans around food.

My reality is it is June 14. I have followed my foodplan off and on since January 19. I have lost about 20lbs. I *feel* I *should have* lost twice that, however, if I want to lose that next 20 I need to be on plan or it will become a 20 lb loss over a year. That's the reality. No progress without effort.

Practice makes progress-another version of that saying Maryann is following!

I WILL be onplan today and will update tonight.

Last edited by onebyone; 06-14-2017 at 09:06 AM.
Old 06-14-2017, 02:52 PM   #73  

Good morning coaches,

Food was a little off plan yesterday, I ate a few of my weekly points, which I didn't intend to use. Not bad though. Exercise so far today was walking Otis and my gym class. A gal about 10 years younger than I am exclaimed how wiped out she is at the end of class. That made me feel good since I find it very hard, but I wouldn't say I'm wiped out. I have been going a couple of weeks longer than she has though.

Onebyone I think each of us has the bad habit of staying away precisely when we should be here the most. I hope you have a good visit with your sister.

Curlyjax Oh my goodness, trip planning must be in full swing and really on your mind about now. I usually end up using a very small handbag on trips, so I'm no help.

Bill Glad you had a good report from the hygienist. I'm kind of like you with the flossing. I do tend to use my water pic daily and I'm always hoping that helps A LOT.

Silverbirch In my home the difference between the living room and family room is that the living room has more formal furnishings and no one is ever in there. It is actually a large room with the dining room on the end. The family room is connected to the kitchen, has a comfortable leather sectional and the television. It is where we spend most of our time. Otis sleeps on the back of the sectional with a leg hanging down between the cushions so he won't fall off the back.

The kitchen meeting went well yesterday. Next week is choose appliances and then back to the cabinets for hopefully final selection. He needs the dimensions of the appliances of course. I also found a man who can redo a large side board type piece that I want the top removed from and have it painted to match the island. I believe they will be starting just past mid July. We will have to have everything out of those rooms except for a few pieces of furniture that will be pushed up against the far wall and covered as well as possible. I do wish I had a friend here to help me go through some things and encourage me to get rid of them. I guess I could ask dh, but I'm afraid he will not be encouraging enough. We'll see.

Well, that's about all from me. Have a good day everybody!
Old 06-14-2017, 08:48 PM   #74  
Enjoying la bella vita

Hello, coaches. OP today. Nice to be able to report in with that. A lot of salad that I liked, so no issue with that. Decided to take a half vacation day and ended up running errands that I wanted to do before I head out on Friday morning. Went looking for a specific Belgian beer and other items to use as a hostess gift for our visit. Came home with a nice assortment, but now need a basket. I thought I had a few, but DH says nope (and he is the one who stores them in the attic for me...and pulled the last out for his folks for Mother's Day). Planned to bathe the pooch and also get my hair cut, but ran out of time. Rebooked the rental car last night and saved $60 - DH is so good about checking right before a trip. Making him some turkey meatballs and will ask he save a few for my dinner on Monday night...

Met with a financial rep who is assisting in our retirement planning and making sure we're on track. In the past two years, we've cut off about five years from our plan due to serious efforts on saving for retirement. I thought I'd get some pushback when in discussing spending habits, I said that I truly felt that we spend less than the average couple with our income. The rep said, "I have no doubt that's the case with your savings rate." That made me feel good and reinforced our commitment. I want to refigure and see if we can cut another year off DH's expected work years. I realized that we've cut off mine more than off his, because I'm four years older than him. It's another example of doing a little bit over a long time and having it pay off.
Old 06-15-2017, 03:15 AM   #75  
in development

Default Thursday

Woke early this morning, got up and completed a few household chores very quickly. The environment has improved but more work is needed!

Food not very good yesterday. I seem to use it as punctuation between different tasks. This must be linked to me and multi-tasking. I'll have to think about this.

nationalparker, 'doing a little bit over a long time and having it pay off' - sounds like successful weight loss to me!

karenrn, thanks for explaining about the different rooms. I love the picture of Otis asleep. He sounds really relaxed. Your gymn class sounds good. If it's hard you're going to improve!

onebyone, kettle holes/lakes are so lovely. Have a nice walk with your sister.

curlyjax, I like cross-body bags so my hands are free and so the weight is distributed more evenly than with a shoulder bag.

Bill (I am a flosser) BlueEyes, love it!

Closed Thread