Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 04:51 PM   #46  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

I am here but politics and DIY have taken over my life today. Time to go to bed now for a good night's sleep. I'll wake up in the morning and find out who's won our general election.

Food - middling bad. Exercise - poor. Sleep - good.
Old 06-08-2017, 05:36 PM   #47  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,

This will be brief. Food on plan. Exercise was walking Otis and yoga. He also had to go to the vet for vaccination. You would think he was going to be killed with as vocal as he is. I'm heading out to get a pedicure and get a few groceries. All is well.
Old 06-09-2017, 06:20 AM   #48  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Friday - Jacques Cartier sails into St. Laurence River (1534, Canada)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – As planned, dinner was cobbled from the appetizers that preceded the evening event. It was vegetarian and good enough, CREDIT moi. Its only setback was that what appeared to be a food-containing bun thing turned out to be a standard sugar-containing bun. Because I already had hummus and stuffed grape leaves on my plate, I assumed that everything in sight would be healthy.

I did learn the phrase 'amplexing frogs' which I won't show you since this is a family oriented site, but it's how the world gets more frogs. Folks who are trying to get ecosystems back in balance after a hundred years of man's intervention get deeply into the private lives of the little amphibians that keep the cycle going. There has to be many, many little frogs in order to sustain the population because they're eaten by just about everyone. Yay for Vernal Pools.

silverbirch – I wish you well with your new political balance following yesterday's elections. When I finish here I'll try to understand the implications by reading the BBC news site. But U.S. news reports seem to be unclear about what happens next. Yay for sleep.

Karen (karenrn) - I recently learned that distemper in dogs is closely related to measles in humans. Glad that Otis is getting his vaccinations, however much wailing it costs. Always Kudos for on plan.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 1 The Key to Success

The Power of Cognitive Therapy

A recent study in Sweden demonstrated the effectiveness of Cognitive Therapy for weight loss. People enrolled in the Cognitive Therapy program lost an average of 18 pound over 10 weeks of treatment. (Meanwhile, people on a waiting list to get into the program didn't lose any weight.) But here's the truly impressive part: When the researchers re-evaluated study participants a year and a half after treatment, their average weight had continued to drop whereas the average weight of the people on the waiting list had increased. This is what sets Cognitive Therapy apart from other types of therapy and other types of weight-loss programs.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 20.
Old 06-09-2017, 11:11 AM   #49  

Good morning coaches,

I'm sitting here ready to go to the gym, but don't need to leave for half an hour or so, a great time to post. Food is on plan and Otis and I had a walk this morning. It will be a busy day with gym, dog training with the trainer and lunch with a friend.

Otis isn't quite as high energy today because of the vaccine I think. He was that way after the last one too. The vaccine is for leptospirosis. It isn't that common, but they recommend it if he boards, goes do doggy day care, or walks on the greenbelt (which he does).

There were 2 new gals at the gym on Wednesday, so we had a class of 7. That was nice. Yoga was good yesterday too. I'm finding that by having this one thing each day where I interact with other people, it is very helpful during this quiet for me time of the year.

Dh was very sweet for our anniversary. He purchased a necklace that I had pointed out in a Neiman Marcus catalogue that comes to our house (for the previous owner). It was not expensive, but I really like it. Then he also replaced my gold hoop earrings that Otis chewed and could not be fixed. We normally do not exchange gifts for our anniversary, so they were nice surprises. Tomorrow we will go out for a nice dinner, which we also do only seldom.

Bill You do go to more lectures than anyone I know. Lot's available I guess. As for Otis and his wailing. It isn't when he gets the shot, it's just to announce he has arrived at the vet. Funny.

Silverbirch I'm glad at least your sleep is good, that's an important component.

Have a great Friday everybody!
Old 06-10-2017, 05:35 AM   #50  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday - Maurice Sendak born (1928, “Where the Wild Things Are”)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walk, CREDIT moi, including stopping for a rotisserie chicken for dinner. When the weather is good, being married to a gardener means that sometimes a little help is required with the production of the evening meal when the sun is shining.

Food was on plan, CREDIT moi, including snacks. Evening snack was half a mango - a favorite. We lingered over dinner on the patio with the resident Northern Cardinal making much noise. We suspect that a nest is nearby but haven't spotted it yet. Trip to the supermarket didn't buy any of the junk food so prominently displayed. As much as I like Wegman's, Whole Foods, and Trader Joe's, they are just as bad as my local supermarket pushing sugar foods.

Karen (karenrn) - Congrats for choosing a DH who produces jewelry. A zillion year ago when I was on a business trip to Sedona, I bought DW a gold necklace. I was apologetic that it wasn't solid gold links - the more expensive type. She loves it because it isn't solid - she wears it every day because it's so light on her neck. Kudos for continuing to make good use of your gym.

Readers -
Quote:

The Power of Cognitive Therapy

Compare this result with people who diet but don't receive Cognitive Therapy treatment. Research completed at Tufts University found that between 50 to 70 percent of people who started one of four widely used diets were unable to stay on their diets and continue to lose weight for a year. Even more discouraging, other studies that track how people fare after they lose weight reveal a sobering trend: Most people who lose weight on any given diet regain most of the lost weight within a year.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 06-11-2017 at 05:29 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-10-2017, 07:46 AM   #51  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Hi Coaches! My goodness its quiet here! I’ didn’t post because i’ve gone way OP and am mad at myself. I overate for both boredom at my job, and other emotional eating, and because lets face it, chocolate tastes good. Ugh. Back on track today.

A mom of DD’s friend has texted DD wondering what is going on, with a sad emoji and mad emoji. DD has been friends with the kid for a long time but has been pulling away over time, with other friends and other interests, which happens!! I cannot believe the mom, an adult, is getting involved in this, as if she is the teen herself. The kid has frankly not been that nice to DD over the years and I will be happy when this relationship is over. The mom also texted me about this previously but in the guise of checking about DH, which really gets me mad. These are 17 year olds, not 5 year olds, come on!! For a number of reasons I promised DD I wouldn’t get involved at this point but we’ll see.

Anyhow- its a beautiful day, its the season of yard sales, and i’m going to go check one out, do some other errands and get back on track.

Karenrn- how nice about your anniversary. We don’t exchange presents either (although I drop strong hints about flowers) but it was a pretty special one for you!
Bill- I know what you mean about those specialty markets. I love TJ but actually a lot of the premade stuff is pretty caloric. Fair trade chocolate is still chocolate
Old 06-10-2017, 09:26 AM   #52  
in development

A whole lot of politics going on over here. I'm also catching up on things that have been left for the last couple of years due to a whole lot of stuff going on in the family. It's feeling good. Call it preparing the environment for weight loss.

Food is not fantastically good and exercise is poor (though I'm lifting heavy things and stretching so I suppose that counts). Their time will come - and soon.

karenrn, Otis chewed your gold hoop earrings? Good gracious.

Bill, we just don't need these sugary foods. Well done on avoiding them.

curlyjax, that mother is out of order. Glad the weather is good - enjoy the yard sales.

Last edited by silverbirch; 06-10-2017 at 09:31 AM.
Old 06-10-2017, 02:24 PM   #53  

Good morning coaches,

It's been a busy morning with walking Otis, Weight Watchers, regular grocery store and then to Costco. We should be set for the week. Food on plan. I lost .8 of a pound this morning. I've got to say it's a bit tough to have such small losses, but I know things are rearranging and I guess this is just the way it will go. I am eating the foods that I like and are healthy, so there won't be much of a change even when I do hit my goal. I am looking forward to a nice dinner out this evening though as a treat.

Too keep myself motivated I'm going to try a couple of new recipes. It's always good to add a few things to the regular repertoire. In addition I'm going to add an hour of other exercise before yoga on Tuesday and Thursday. It might be elliptical or treadmill or whatever appeals for the day at the Y where I do the yoga.

Otis did well at his training yesterday. It was to learn stay while he is inside the threshold of the backdoor and the trainer, and then me, were outside. He was really good for the trainer and would hardly come out even when told "come". At the end of the training he was hiding under my bed. I have a feeling he was afraid the trainer would pull him into the pool like he did when he first taught him to swim. He didn't stay as well for me. We don't pull him into the pool. I carry him in and then dh walks around the pool with Otis on the leash in the pool. He still doesn't seem full steam, but did well on his walk.

Silverbirch Sounds to me like you are getting your exercise and being productive all at the same time.

Curlyjax You're right, it is a bit quiet here. I can't believe that Mom. Sounds like she is one of those that would want to be the girls friends and not the Mom. Good luck getting back on track. Sometimes it just takes one good day.

Bill It sounds so nice to have a garden, or even more to have the produce from the garden when that time rolls around. You are right, there is so much junk in all stores. I always wonder who buys all that stuff. They would go out of business if they had to depend on me. Now the breweries, not so much, although I haven't had much lately.

Well I think it's close enough to lunch time to start getting it ready. I'm hungry today.
Old 06-11-2017, 05:50 AM   #54  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - Cptn James Cook runs aground (1770, Great Barrier Reef, Australia)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – We had an extra session with the DGD so walk, CREDIT moi, was pushing her in her stroller in a valiant, but unsuccessful attempt to initiate a nap. Her resistance was staunch! At the playground her attempts to cause self bodily harm were constant. I no longer understand how the human population has expanded so rapidly. When she wasn't leading the way to self-demise, a six year-old boy was attempting to blind her by throwing sand in her face. My good deed of the day was to sign for a case of wine that FedEx was attempting to deliver to a neighbor who wasn't home. They think I'm a hero for saving them the pain of having to drive to the FedEx facility to retrieve a failed delivery.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi. We watched the DVD of Bill Murray and Scarlett Johansson in Lost in Translation for pleasant entertainment. The movie wins my accolades because it doesn't have a sappy ending. Naturally, I don't think that being a movie about an old guy who becomes friends with a good looking young woman influenced my thinking, LOL.

silverbirch – Kudos for "preparing the environment for weight loss" - one of Beck's steps. I'm trying to understand the political situation over there by reading news reports, but get stuck on the phrase, "not in contact with voters on the ground." Wondering where else voters are kept, LOL. It's easier to grasp that today, in 1509, Henry VIII married Catherine of Aragon. Done deal. Nothing to discuss. Wishing long life to the happy couple.

Karen (karenrn) - It's major forward movement that "I know things are rearranging" - Kudos for accepting that.

curlyjax - Congrats for realizing that adults don't have get involved with the waxing and waning of teenage friendships - your DD is lucky that you see clearly. Kudos for recognizing that "Fair trade chocolate is still chocolate."

Readers -
Quote:

How Cognitive Therapy Works

Cognitive Therapy is based on the concept that the way people think affects how they feel and what they do. For example, let's say you have the thought I'm hungry. If you then have "sabotaging thoughts" - such as, This is terrible ... I can't stand it ... I have to eat! - you'll feel panicky and grab some food. On the other hand, if you counter your thought with "helpful responses" - But it's all right ... I'm going to eat in a couple more hours ... I can wait - you'll feel in control and get involved in an activity. Cognitive Therapy helps you identify your sabotaging thinking and effectively respond to it, so you feel better and can behave in helpful ways.

Old 06-11-2017, 09:30 AM   #55  

Morning coaches. I’ve been feeling somewhat out of sorts yesterday and this morning, moping about and feeling sorry for myself. I need to give myself a good talking to and snap out of it. Credit for a good walk in the heat yesterday anyhow.
It would be so awesome for a magic genie to figure out a great ten minute stretching routine that incorporates the most body parts in the least amount of time, and then make me do it Also the genie would make me a meal plan of my favorite healthy foods, do the shopping and meal prep and of course cleaning up! Clearly this is what i need to work on but am feeling lazy.

Bill- it is too funny to read about DGD while reading about Otis- babies are much like puppies in their constant exploration and need for “training”!
Silverbirch- it always feels great to catch up on things. I love having tangible results after I sort thru things. Lifting heavy things and stretching definitely counts!
Karenrn- you do so much physical stuff, it does seem like you should have lost more, not fair you have a good attitude as usual. hope the celebratory dinner was great!
Old 06-11-2017, 10:17 AM   #56  
in development

Default Sunday

I'm continuing with preparing the environment for weight loss. I really do need a clear head to do this properly and as I had 9.5 hours sleep last night (fantastic!) and have practically nil responsibilities today I am doing well.

curlyjax, well done for going for a walk in the heat. And moping has its place, I think. We can't be cheerful all the time.

karenrn, I think I'm feeling rather like you do when you don't have a proper hike. Yes, I'm moving but not enough and not hard enough. I need proper, targetted exercise, rather than just doing normal things, in order to make any difference. I don't know whether this is an age thing. I'm just a few months behind you in age. Anyway, this morning I did a full workout.

Following is off topic so please ignore if you're not interested.

Bill, I'll unpack "not in contact with voters on the ground" for you.
1a. The television and press mainstream media tends to be based in London and often feeds off one another's reports. This is sometimes called the 'Westminster bubble'. Yes, they do talk to 'real people' but not in a concerted and thoughtful way. More like a garnish to what they want to say anyway. They have been quite remarkably hostile to Corbyn (Labour), clearly the policy of media owners but not so clearly why in the case of the BBC.
1b. Social media has given voters space to become involved and to see past the picture being given by the mainstream media. This is very liberating for many, especially new members of the Labour Party who joined as a result of Corbyn's two leadership elections.
2a. The Conservative Party did not reach out to the public. Theresa May did not engage - very small public meetings with invited audience, no public debates with other parties (this is new in UK but her refusal went down very badly). Accused of not understanding the real concerns of voters: austerity, the National Health Service, social care, tuition fees, income etc etc. In addition, their manifesto was uncosted.
2b. The Labour Party consulted widely on its (fully costed) manifesto. Jeremy Corbyn spoke at 90 rallies and was very visible indeed. Went to the FA Cup Final, played football with children, out and about in his constituency, travelled by train. Always in selfies with people. And the Labour campaign worked hard to engage with people 18-25, lots of musicians involved. Ken Loach made the Labour party election broadcast.

That's it, in a nutshell. We'll see how things work out this week. Lots of pieces in play, including Northern Ireland and Brexit. Things are not looking good for the Conservative Party. Labour is poised to make a bid to be a minority government. Interesting times.

Last edited by silverbirch; 06-11-2017 at 11:48 AM.
Old 06-11-2017, 02:25 PM   #57  

Good morning coaches,

Food on plan, but yesterday's plan included some of the extra weekly points allowed, but not used last week. I had a couple of beers, we split tuna tartare as an appetizer and I had seared ahi that came with a small salad on the side. We did have dessert though, which was basically like a chocolate mouse pie in a cup. We split it, but to be honest I had more than my share. I will say I feel better with no alcohol and sweets, but we both enjoyed the dinner out. I think it would be interesting for next time to try no alcohol and no sweets. It would have been well within my daily points that way.

I learned yesterday when I went to Costco that we have been drinking decaf. I stayed off coffee for a bit, but decided I like it and don't really want to stay off coffee. Well, when I really checked the packages, I found the one I have purchased the last several times were decaf. This might explains why I needed a nap at 9 a.m. the other day after taking half of an over the counter sleep aid the night before. I had taken Otis for a walk and could not get with it.

Dh took Otis for his walk this morning, which is becoming our Sunday routine. It was a little later than I take him and Otis decided to stop several times. Finally dh said, "Let's go home and see mama", and he started walking again. I didn't hike, but instead stayed home and cleaned the inside of my car. I never have garbage in there, but occasionally it does need a good vacuuming, window washing and cleaning of the dash and seats. I usually just go through the Costco car wash occasionally for the outside and I will do that at some time today.

After that I went to the Y with dh and he showed me how to use the assisted pull up machine. They have all new machines and weights in the gym and they are very nice. I think I'll see if there is someone there who can show me all the equipment. It would be good to do a little bit in there on yoga days.

Silverbirch Thank you for the explanation of what is going on in your country. We live in interesting times for sure.

Curlyjax I'm with Silverbirch, sometimes it's okay to feel mopey and low. I find when I do it gives me pause to really think about what's going on and what needs to change and it sounds like you're doing that too. What about checking out Youtube for a short stretching routine?

Bill I also thoroughly enjoy hearing about DGD antics. What a joy for you and your wife! It's doubtful I'll ever have a grandchild, so I get mine with the dog.

It's been a pretty productive morning with car cleaning and dog training. Today I'm going to make Birdballs. It's a recipe that a guy on WW created using ground chicken breast and the leanest ground turkey, bread crumbs, shredded Romano, choose your own spices and a couple of eggs. People on the No Finish Line Nation FB site rave about them. Dh will eat anything, so I'm sure they will be fine with him. I also have ingredients to make low cal pizza later this week. That will be my couple of new recipes for this week.

Well waving to those who haven't been posting, but may be reading and I hope everybody has a good rest of the weekend!
Old 06-12-2017, 06:26 AM   #58  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - Anne Frank received a diary for her birthday (1942, Amsterdam)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Standard Sunday walk, CREDIT moi. We watched a woman who was carrying two grocery bags, stop, lean over, and pull out a weed growing through the brick sidewalk. DW noted, "Now that's a gardener." I've seen DW do that when she spots an invasive plant; most times she won't lean over into someone's yard. Her version is that she'd never do that.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, with all snacks taken. Sunday is a challenge for snacking since I spend some time standing with a cup of coffee talking to folks who are all nibbling on something that's being offered. It helps to watch one guy who has lost a bunch of weight pause before eating anything to type it into his phone. That's being accountable.

silverbirch – Yay for a good night's sleep. [Thanks ever so much for your terse summary of the recent UK election. The phrase 'Westminster bubble' powerfully reminds me of the problems created when the news all arrives through one spigot. I despair at the thought of how I'd summarize the current US political situation in such a short space.]

Karen (karenrn) - Neat dinner with tuna tartare and ahi in the same meal. LOL at discovering that your coffee didn't satisfy because it was, in fact, decaf. Bird Balls is a new dish for me, I had to go see a recipe to get it into my head.

curlyjax - Yep, "a magic genie" is a great image of what we need to stay our course. My image is of a butler who just knows what to do. Kudos for "give myself a good talking to" as the next best thing.

Readers -
Quote:

How Cognitive Therapy Works
Cognitive Therapy helps you
identify your sabotaging thinking and
effectively respond to it,
so you feel better
and can behave in helpful ways.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:40 AM   #59  

Hi Coaches!
Feeling much better today. I needed a little time away so I went to the bookstore and some other stores to look at stuff. I didn’t buy anything but felt much better afterwards. Sometimes you just need to break out of your routine.
Credit for another walk in the heat and bumped into a neighbor I haven’t seen for awhile who might want to walk in the evening occasionally, so that was doubly productive. Credit for stretching legs at least, and feeling a tinge of hunger when I went to bed. The heat/summer usually means less hunger for me, just need to combat the ice cream cravings!

Silverbirch- thanks for the political info, very helpful! 9 hours of sleep is fabulous, definitely rejuvenating.
Karenrn-Glad you had a nice dinner, and good job sharing so you wouldn’t overeat. It’s a great strategy to cut down on calories and money too. I’ve done that with DH occasionally as he is eating less, but I never share my dessert�� I should check out youtube, that’s a good idea.
Bill-Ha on your DW perception as different than yours! Those gardeners are a dedicated bunch. I would love to take a class on basic flowers herbs etc as I know nothing, but that will probably wait a few years.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:18 AM   #60  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Back from a trip to Pismo Beach to check on my father. It was to be four days but only last two when a brother showed up unexpectedly and created drama.I left both on good terms but have no stomach for drama. Miraculously, I decided to travel through Malibu (where I grew up) and found a two day serenity retreat at the beautiful Franciscan retreat there.) Wonderful weekend of breathtaking views and some careful thought. Hike everyday I was away. the drive home had too much candy involved.

Weight is 1 pound above ticker. I am eager to settle in for a few weeks and attack some chores.

Like silverbirch, I need to prepare the house for some healthy eating.

Last edited by maryann; 06-12-2017 at 11:19 AM.
Closed Thread