Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 04:49 PM   #61  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,

I take back credit for food on plan for yesterday. I rounded up a sweet treat after dinner that was definitely not on plan and of course now my sweet tooth is on high alert wanting more. I was even beginning to plan what I could fix today, but decided to get busy distracting myself and putting "No Choice" into practice. Here's hoping I can make it through the day. I just can not have sugar as any sort of regular thing in my diet. Once away from it for a few days, I'm fine. Credit for 6 miles walk on the green belt paths and along the golf course this morning. We have some beautiful birds and some of the huge white ones are even in the trees. I tried to take a photo, but it's hard to see how large they are. It is fun to see them though. There are also blue herons sitting at the edge of the man made lakes.

It seems like this is a difficult time for more than a few. I'm hoping for all that easier/better times come soon.

Maryann It seems like you are very thoughtfully doing what you can to get through this time that is difficult for you. I hope your trip to Ireland is a wonderful break and you can return refreshed.

Onebyone I don't understand either. Are you moving? If so I was totally oblivious to that. Good luck getting through this.

Curlyjax Yes, it seems it is almost always sunny in Arizona. We were supposed to have a storm come through with even a little rain, but we haven't seen it although it cooled the temps down a bit. I welcome the cooler temps as it gets really hot soon enough. I'm with you on back to the basics, seems I need to do that on a very regular basis.

Bill No snacks? Super. I'm going for that today also.

FutureFitChick I hope your headache is better today. It's hard to stay focused and stay on plan when feeling lousy.

Nationalparker Here's hoping lunch with your friend was good and that you're having another on plan day.

Ani How well I know the sugary cinnamon toast trick. I almost always have those ingredients for a quick sweet snack. Good for you for having just one.
A questions for you. Do you find it easier to stay on plan food/exercise wise in Washington or Florida? Just wondering. Many of my Washington friends are much heavier over the years and I think it has to do with the weather and not being able to get out and exercise, but it could be that I'm just finding more active friends here because I am more active here.

Sandy So glad to hear dh's X-ray was good. What a relief. My husband had a good check up last week after prostatectomy 5 years ago at age 54 for prostate cancer. Luckily he is as good as new, but we both worry before check ups as I'm sure you do too.

Lexxis I hope things are coming together for your trip.

Where is GardenerJoy? If you're out there, you are missed. Maybe I missed that you were going on a trip.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:54 PM   #62  

S/C/G: 149/147/130

Height: 5'6"

Smile

Hi all. On plan eating all day except one thing… 5 days ago my bf brought home an 8 pack of cinnamon rolls. 5 mornings I resisted, (morning is a relatively easy time for me), but today at 4pm crave time, a rush of amnesia washed over me and I pulled them out of the freezer and grabbed one. (Saving grace... Dinner was even a little LESS than plan)

I don’t want to beat myself up, but I also don’t want to let that become a habit.

FutureFitChick Good you’re getting all the rest you need, and bummer about the lingering headache. Yay for cooking yourself something in spite of feeling like you didn't want to.

NationalParker: Thanks for the great idea about keeping 100 calorie packets of nuts in your car – I got a chuckle at your saying that your “cheapness” keeps you from over-indulging. “Cheapness” is my middle name too, and what a good idea to capitalize on it to help stay on track. The other thing I’ve tried re: snacks, eg. on the airplane. I used to bring 2 rolls of Ritz crackers to take the edge off, or to settle my stomach if necessary. But because I like them so much, I’d find myself munching an entire roll, simply out of boredom, and then there wouldn't be any left when I actually felt HUNGRY. so instead now I pack flavors I don’t like so much, such as low fat or low sodium varieties. (which are slightly more healthy as a side benefit)

bill: Yay for no snacks. And thanks for sharing your "it's-only-one-hour-til-dinner" trick. I have to remember that! And kudos that the peanuts remain in their stash.

curlyjax: Kudos for all the on-target tasks you’ve been doing: writing cards and keeping them handy, reading your SB book and ordering cookbooks from the library. … and yoga. All good.

KarenRN Yay for keeping on plan with food, and I know what you mean about how one sweet treat can increase craving the rest of the day. You asked where it’s easier to stay on plan: Washington or Florida. I’d say they're the same. 90% of eating right is my own mental process. Deciding that YES, I’m going to do this. No choice. The other 10% has to do with how many food related events I participate in. (about the same in each place). I do well in my own domain. But meetings and potlucks, those trip me up. I do well to limit the number of such events. I haven’t yet graduated to being good at being the ONE who eats sparsely at a restaurant or potluck. I’m better off declined such things, or showing up later, or lobbying for a different venue for the meetup. Where in WA do your friends live?

onebyone Sounds like a very stressful time for you. And what a great list of affirmations you’ve listed for yourself to help you stay on track. I especially liked “I will stay focused and positive.” Wishing you the best.

Sandy (love2garden) Kudos for limiting yourself to 2 oatmeal cookies. That’s a major accomplishment.

MaryAnn Sounds like a really tough time you’re going through. I hope your trip to Ireland is a wonderful adventure.

Wishing everyone the best,
Ani
Old 03-08-2016, 09:39 PM   #63  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Hi, Coaches and Buddies.

I walked today, only 1.7/3 miles. I ate more cookies than planned, but skipped planned evening snack. It worked out calorie-wise. I finally kicked my migraine after about 72 hours, thankfully. So, I am hoping to get back on track with exercise and get back to work. I am not pressuring myself to catch up, but will reassess where I am at and revise my work plan as needed. I can't beat myself up about not getting work done when sick. I did my best with the cold and migraine to deal with it, so I am moving forward.

Ani (Daily Practice), do you plan regular afternoon snacks?

Bill Blue Eyes, yay for the peanuts that remained where they were!

Curly Jax, great job jumping back in with your South Beach plan and getting in yoga.

Karen, R.N., great job putting "No choice" in to practice.

Mary Ann, any way you can create some space between you and your family when they come? (I am pro-hotel for certain family member visits.) You are in my prayers with all that you are juggling right now! Keep checking in, as we want to support you. It sounds like you have a good plan and goals to meet.

One by One, good luck managing your current stress. I am glad you were able to check in and hope you were able to get back on track!

Sandy (Love 2 Garden), glad you are enjoying great weather!
Old 03-08-2016, 10:05 PM   #64  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

I'm sitting here next to a kitty that is, after six years with us, finally deigning to sit next to me on the couch. This is monumental in my eyes. I had planned to get on the bike tonight, but also had planned to tackle a few other things and I got those done, DH got home kind of late and so dinner wasn't until 8, cleanup done by 9 after he hit the sack to get up at 4. I just want to call it a night. If I can fall asleep quickly, I can get up earlier and get on it then. Maybe I'll say that enough to where I'll actually believe it.

Felt I over-estimated calories on lunch but wasn't sure, so to be safe made a simple dinner of Trader Joe's sweet Italian chicken sausage with sauteed orange bell pepper, vidalia onions, and mixed in some sweet and red potato, along with a side of green beans. Was mostly peppers and onions, so felt that worked out to a good side to keep it reasonable. I think it sounds like all my meals have peppers and onions as a side. Hm. Will allot time tomorrow for personals. Dressed up today for work a bit more and felt a bit peppier. Or maybe that was the sunshine. Will try to carry this feeling over into tomorrow despite the rain forecast. The warmth should be enough of a gift.
Old 03-08-2016, 11:01 PM   #65  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up Before bed addendum

Hi

Reporting in. Credits for no eating of junk. For purchasing good food from store. For maintaining calm and focus. For choosing to get to bed early.

Becksters: I am in my hometown at the home of one of my oldest friends helping her move from where she's lived and where her marriage broke up (20 yrs) to a really really nice house in the downtown wherexshe can walk everywhere and be a part of Life. So happy for her. So difficult. When she first floated the idea of selling her place I was the lone encouraging voice and promised then I would help. As my father said " A promise made is a debt unpaid." Stamp me PAID IN FULL!!

Good night.
Old 03-09-2016, 05:53 AM   #66  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Wednesday - Napoleon marries Josephine (1796)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walks, CREDIT moi, were another twofer: first to class and later in the evening to a lecture. At the local mini-library, both of the books I'd put in the other day were already gone. Good! Not only do I want to give away books, but I require that they be snapped up quickly, LOL. I turned down Don Quixote; in the old days had I seen this at a yard sale for cheap, I'd have grabbed it because I want to read it someday. Now, I'm comfortable with the notion that the library system is keeping a copy for me when that day comes. I'm also comfortable with the notion that I'll never read it. It's a thick book and my list is long; I'm trying to learn to avoid feeling that I should read every book I've heard of.

Eating was 100% on plan, CREDIT moi. Snacks were limited to one Clementine in the evening. Peanuts remain in their lair. I found myself at the evening lecture wishing that there would be an unexpected reception. This is annoying; I don't need FREE food because I'm broke. I don't need FREE food because I'm hungry. DW had already told me that dinner was leftovers that I'm particularly fond of.

PAID IN FULL (onebyone) – Kudos for bringing your scale with you on your travels. I shudder remembering about moving.

FutureFitChick – Yay for a migraine that's gone its way. Kudos for planning carefully for what you can do in the days ahead instead of for what you feel you should have done before.

maryann - What a clear list of actions to take to remain centered. Especially like, "Bless those who confront and walk away in peace."

nationalparker – Peppers and onions at every meal would be OK by me - especially vidalia onions. Yay for dressing up a bit for an ego boost.

Karen (karenrn) - Ouch for being reminded by "my sweet tooth is on high alert" that there's an additional good reason to avoid sugar snacks.

curlyjax - Yay for finding a Yoga class that's comfortable for you.

Sandy (love2garden) - Good plan, "eat supper and skip snack."

Ani (dailypractice) - Ouch for a cinnamon roll that can call from the depths of the freezer. I recognize that "4pm crave time."

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 5 Food Pusher Traps

#1: The Chronic Hard Sell Trap

I suggested to Laura that we role play to help her learn what to do. I played Laura, and she played Sharon. She started.
"Laura, have another beer."
"No, thanks."
"Oh, Laura, not this again! It's just one beer!"
"No, thanks."
"Oh, come on. Join the fun! You never have just one."
"No, thank you."
"What's the problem?"
"No problem. And no, thanks."
"But it's more fun when you drink."
"No, thank you."
"You know you'll end up drinking more later anyway."
"No, thank you."
"You're really not having another one?"
"No, thanks."
"Really?"
"No, thanks."
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 87
Old 03-09-2016, 09:03 AM   #67  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

hi coaches! credit yesterday for not eating any dessert, and starting my plan for SB. I wrote out some breakfast and snack ideas, and have a plan for the next few days. It gets complicated working around others food ideas and schedules but I have made a start anyhow.
I was going to go for a walk with a friend on this beautiful, incredibly warm for March day, but she needs to meet for a quick lunch instead at a fabulous grocery store that has a huge takeout section of all sorts of foods, and you can eat there too. I will plan for veggies or a little of Chinese which I love, the nice thing is you can just take a tiny amount of various things from various buffets. I will not buy any desserts since I am committed to that.
I will get in a walk later.

Karenrn- I totally hear you about the sweets. Sugar is so addictive, it is my main struggle.
Onebyone-what a good friend you are, she owes you big time It will be over soon and you will have done a really nice thing.
Maryann-wow, that is a lot! A trip overseas, no matter how great, would be sending my anxiety skyhigh, never mind all those other things! you have made a great plan to help you get through.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:22 AM   #68  
Green Tomatoes

Thanks for asking, karenrn! I'm still here. Dealing with back pain. Not doing well with food and grumpy about it but also not willing to do what needs to be done to fix it. Yet. I'll get there.

maryann: I think feminism and Catholicism are difficult to bridge, which is why I'm so grateful to women within who try to live that divide. Change will have to happen from inside and out. You may find Ireland healing in that regard, a very Catholic country with some horrific stories of how the church was used to control women and, yet, many strong and beautiful women living there now.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:50 PM   #69  
Enjoying la bella vita

I have to come out that my biggest challenge continues to be running home for lunch. This morning I cooked green beans while I got ready for work, so they'd be a quick grab with my pb&j eng muffin to get in good veggie. I ALSO though, took 10 of the reduced guilt potato chips when I saw the bag. I wasn't hungry, didn't need them and ended up with a 585 calorie lunch. Upside is it'll hold me until DH gets home around 8 tonight ... so if I view it as a 400 cal lunch and a 185 cal snack I guess I can live with it. But STILL... I need to get out of a mindset that when I leave the house I won't have the chance to eat and will wither away. I keep in mind that hunger is not an emergency, but goodness sake I forget it at lunch at home. Thanks for letting me vent. Better check in later.
Old 03-09-2016, 06:05 PM   #70  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,

Food was a little over yesterday. Today will be fine cause I hiked for nearly 4 hours. It was a beautiful hike with 3 friends and a RATTLESNAKE. Suzanne was in the lead and when it started rattling, she turned around and high tailed it so fast she knocked me over. Luckily I got up and we stood back, took pictures and let him cross the trail in his own good time. Actually the snake made the trip a little more exciting and the weather was fabulous and many of the flowers are in bloom.

Nationalparker I think your thoughts of a 400 calorie lunch and a 185 calorie snack are fine. Sometimes I am so hungry in the morning that I eat lunch early and worry if I'll make it through the day without going way over. And I make it fine, I just happen to need the calories earlier some days.

GardenerJoy I'm so sorry about the back pain. What a bummer. It is hard to post when spirits are low. I hope you're feeling better and food plans are better soon. I'm listening to New York now because I liked Paris so much. It's nice to have the long books that last a while.

Curlyjax Good for you for getting started on your SB plan. I admire any and all who have to work food plans around others and their needs. Luckily dh is pretty good with eating whatever I fix for him.

Bill Sounds like you're on a roll in a good way with the food plan.

Onebyone Oh you are a good friend to help with the moving. I'm glad it isn't you who had to move. I love that, "A promise made is a debt unpaid." It really does say it all.

FutureFitChick I hope you're feeling better and better and that the headache is truly gone. They are so miserable.

Ani I lived in Washington for 50 years, mostly the Puget Sound Area. I have brothers in Longview and Wenatchee. I have friends in Longview, Tacoma, Seattle, Edmonds, Kirkland, Woodinville and Bellingham. I usually go up there for a few weeks to a month in the summer. This year will likely be a much shorter time, if at all because I have other trips planned. Dh will not be on the trips, so I need to stay home at least part of the time to be sure I keep the dh, who I also call my "soul/sole provider".
Old 03-09-2016, 08:59 PM   #71  
Enjoying la bella vita

Credits today - no add'l snacking - lunch carried me to dinner at 8. Got on bike when I got home and got that done. DH came home with salad and some thin crust cheese pizza that was left over from the guys' lunch ... I anticipated that but still went over by 200 on calories. This was my splurge for the week and I'll accept that and move forward tomorrow. Now trying to stave off the desire to just have one of the italian cookies in the pantry. What's the difference between being over by 200 and being over by 320 is my thinking. So far, so good. If DH caves, though, I'm a goner.

OneByOne- The sign of a true friend is one who helps you move. Nice that she can count on you in such a stressful time.

Karen - YIKES on the rattler. I'm not a snake fan. I like to let them move along to another yard or wherever they're heading. Glad you all made it out safely ... and have to say it's a funny story that she knocked you down in her hasty retreat.

Bill - Laughing at your requirement that books be snapped up fairly quickly from the Little Free Libraries. I would certainly feel a bit of frustration if a book I put in there was consistently overlooked. I'd have to add a bookmark, a note about how good it was, etc. Or I'd think, wow, this is getting read and returned quickly! Credits for leaving those peanuts!

Joy - Hope you find relief soon! Are you still working with your photos from your Cuba trip?

CurlyJax - Credits for no dessert and kudos that you're now a person who isn't indulging in dessert - way to take a stand!! Good idea to plan that buffet strategy out. Hope it went well.

changing my ticker down to 176. Was 175.8 today (not the 175.2 I was on Saturday and just know I'll be up this week but with only this one day over calories so far, I hope to finish strong) ... Seems like I go down, up, maintain, down, up, maintain, down, up... when I'm actively losing. We'll see what this run shows.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:01 PM   #72  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Hi, Coaches and Buddies.

I had a decent day today. I was able to walk my full route. I wanted to quit at 2 miles, but was able to press on to make 3.2 today. Food was on plan. I need to cook and grocery shop! I spent hours trying to trace back some work I did a couple of years ago. I finally figured it out, so that is a relief. Yesterday I hit 20 pounds down from my start.

Bill Blue Eyes, awesome job with food 100% on plan!

Curly Jax, great job committing to not buying any desserts.

Gardener Joy, so sorry your back continues to be bothersome!

Karen, R. N., your hike sounds lovely. I am really excited that you get to see rattlesnakes. I have never seen one in the wild.

National Parker, your dinner on Tuesday sounds delicious! Do you have any chance to plan a morning snack? Planned snacks help me to be more rational about meal choices. Great job for not having any unplanned snacks today.

One by One, great job for avoiding the junk food. It is really wonderful of you to help your friend!
Old 03-09-2016, 10:20 PM   #73  
persist

Thumbs up It's a story everyone knows

Coaches

Wow. What a day. Stress upon stress. The mover's truck was too small. I didn't think it was but I can't judge space. So three addition pickup truck and car moves have had to happen plus a friend with a trailer who was there at the beginning of the day and all done in light rain and fog. In northern Ontario! When I was trying keys in the doors to see which ones worked I walked to the snowed in front door and sank up to my hip in snow, and yet today,? Fog and drizzle.

Tomorrow it's a me day. I'm going to look at the microfiche at the library. Old newspapers. Want to find stuff about the astronauts who trained here cause the landscape was as desolate as the moon. That's the hometown I remember. It's too green for me now.

Foodwise: ate great food under control until just now as I had a cliff bar but my night is not over and really there is no food here so happy to eat that.
Weighed in today at 271.3 lime yesterday.

Bye!
Old 03-10-2016, 07:09 AM   #74  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Thursday - Rebellion in Tibet (1959)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walk, CREDIT moi, was to an evening event. It was 72 degrees Fahrenheit, yet I couldn't make myself leave without a light windbreaker. The two bundles of Daffodils that I bought DW have finally opened - that is, 18 of the 20 have opened. They were from Ireland, shipped fully closed. They looked like green stalks with a tiny enlargement at the end. It took five days.

Food was excellent, CREDIT moi, with no snacks - until the evening event went on too long and I started nibbling cashews. Ouch! Once, I pushed the container away to help avoid them, but my 90 year old friend, lean and agile, jumped up and pulled them back close. She probably needed the calories.

onebyone – Kudos for standing up to "Stress upon stress" to eat good food for the day. I had no idea that the astronauts did lunar training in Canada.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Sending supportive thoughts for back pain. I do know how debilitating that can be.

FutureFitChick – Congrats on hitting that 20 pound mark! Kudos for standing down the desire to stop your walk early.

nationalparker – Kudos for recognizing the Sabotaging Thought, "that when I leave the house I won't have the chance to eat and will wither away." I used to carry a granola bar every time I was headed out for two hours. Like two hours was the duration before starvation. Nothing beats leftover pizza - nothing except leftover FREE pizza.

Karen (karenrn) - Yay for a rattlesnake to make a walk exciting. We don't have them here.

curlyjax - Neat plan to have no desserts.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 5 Food Pusher Traps

#1: The Chronic Hard Sell Trap

Laura and I discussed the role play and my use of the "broken-record" technique - not offering reasons but instead just saying, No, thank you," whenever food or drink was pushed. "What did you think?" I asked her.

"That was good," she replied. "I eventually couldn't think of any other ways to push, and I gave up." I asked Laura if she thought Sharon would eventually give up, too. She did but then expressed another concern. "I think she'd then go complain to my other sister that I wasn't drinking." Laura didn't like the idea of her sisters talking about her.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 88
Old 03-10-2016, 10:16 AM   #75  
persist

Default Stay the course.

Coaches

Just made some op breakfast. Having coffee. Thinking about my day now. Looking forward to the library. Looking forword to exploring.

Credit: weighed in at 269.5. Yay. Weight going down. Need to stay the course. Persist in victory. We will go for dinner tonight. I am off in the morning.
Closed Thread