Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 01:31 PM   #106  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Thanks for all the good thoughts. I did survive. I feel several miracles occurred this weekend. First and foremost - 300 teenagers in a small gym sitting on carpet squares, through three masses, three rosaries and a bazillion lectures. I thought the teens did remarkably well. There were thankfully many chaperones who took responsibility for their kids which is not always the case. Still I was as alway on super alert as I have been for 25 years.I am a professional bulldog.This weekend was a gift of clarity. My time with this sort of thing is done. I have decided to move on to a different kind of service work.The war has not been won but it is a battle for others to fight. My commission has been served.

Two moments of the weekend stand out for me. There were some panels which separated the boys and the girls. I chose to stay in the chapel for the adoration ( the eucharist can not be left attended.) As I came out of into the hall, a boy I know from school was on the steps in tears. He is a Mexican boy who is transgender. In our working class school, I have been amazed how accepted he is. I know it is because of his wonderful heart. I asked him where he wanted to go. He said with his sisters. And so I walked him over to the girl's room. I told him he was the bravest kid I know for being true to himself. He cried. I told him to come talk to me if anyone tried to keep him out. If I feel a struggle finding a place in the Catholic church, what must this kid be feeling?

Stand out moment number two: At the end of the the retreat, the Franciscan monks asked if any felt the call from God to be a priest and to come up to the stage. My son went. Not a surprise but still heartrending.

What does this have to do with compulsive overeating. I found the stash of bake goods in the kitchen and made several tips to them. It is what it is. Weight is higher than it has been in five years. I am in awe how a few tough days can send the scale sky rocketing. So what do I know? It is not how many times i fall off the wagon, it is how quickly I hop back on. I took off my fitbit for the retreat. I felt somehow it wasn't appropriate to have on. Fitbit is back on. 10,000 steps is the goal. 30 mins of activity a day. I want to make up for the lost days this weeks so that my two week average will come out to 30 mins a day. I want to do weight training twice this week.

Thank you for reading. It makes a big difference.

Last edited by maryann; 03-14-2016 at 01:33 PM.
Old 03-14-2016, 04:08 PM   #107  

Height: 5' 2"

MaryAnn What a lot you put in your post! First, what a lot of contrasting feelings you must fee from your son's saying he feels call from God to be a priest, and he went up, too. Amazing!

Also the Retreat, 300 teenagers and the retreat as a "professional bulldog" A true gift! I can understand your feeling that this is enough and look for something else. Your behavior with the boy was beautiful wanting to go in with his sister. Thanks for sharing.

Volunteering for the Church has always been a huge part of my life, and my Mother and Grandmother before me. I'm in a different Catholic Church now and am debating how much I'll volunteer. Still doing work with the Adoration Chapel at the other Church and will remain with this as long as they need me. Calls, Substituting for open hours, and typing and posting schedules for the 24/7. We can't cover all the hours but do keep it open 6am till midnight with Monday Nighyt also covered all 24 hours.

Several people are like us in that traveling after dark is too risky. Some have moved, some have died, some just quit. Almost weekly the schedule is changed. This has been my special enjoyable project for 9 years.

Food, far better recently. DH's Hershey kisses are safe from me at the time. Knee not able to let me go for a walk but with shot coming on Wednesday to lubricate, I will probably be walking again Friday or Saturday if weather permits.

Sandy
Old 03-14-2016, 08:40 PM   #108  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Whew ... one more Monday down. After a day on plan with a lot of work issues, I got home and wanted to just eat my way through the fridge. I fed the pets and thought, I'll get started with a project and then get my dinner...so started doing my hair color. DH cut it a bit on the weekend and I foolishly asked if he'd try putting in layers on a side that needed some and he did and then it took a while to fix it. (I came in to the bathroom mirror after he said uh oh... and said OH NO! He's like I heard that! ... it's all good, though.) For dinner, though, I opted for solid volume (as opposed to salad) and went with boiled red potatoes and just under an ounce of cheese melted on it. It's filling and satisfying for me. I had scrambled eggs to have with it and decided to have those in a while. So while not a normal meal, I was able to stay on track. I DID indulge in my next-to-last See's butterscotch chocolate piece and counted it. I am under calories for the day, and still need to get in my activity. All I want to do is take a bath and go to bed, though.

I'm sorry - I probably forgot the update that DH did accept the job and this week is his last before going to the new company... Salary is lower but offset by many more hours at home, working only day shift and 15 minutes from home instead of 70-75 minutes away. He asked if we'll get along as well when we're around each other all evenings. I hope so!! I am one who probably likes more alone time than he does.

GardenerJoy - You've been in my thoughts a great deal this weekend and am looking forward to seeing you back here! Have you planned out your veg plantings for this year? Hope you're doing ok ... I always seem to get strength from your ways of breaking challenges down and the self-talk.

Bill - When I get to be cookie czar, they will be scrumptious but no calories. I think you do a grand job at bypassing so much of the food you face in social settings.

Karen - Yes, DH will be working a much better shift, though he'll be working six days a week until June as it's the busy season for the new company. I'm hoping we'll be able to get out and do more together as the weather improves here. I don't think he's into our little "bike challenge" at all ... halfway through the month and he's at 0 miles. The irony is I wanted a cheap stationary bike, just to see if I wanted to do it when we bought this and he insisted on a better quality, one he liked, etc. and so forked out more and he's never EVER gotten on it. Kinda annoys me, if I'm honest.

CurlyJax - Hang in there - hope being out today was a good break in the dynamics at home.

DH cooked the turkey last night and I reminded him to not forget to put in fridge before he went to bed (got started late). It's in my cupcake holder - the big top flipped over and foiled up. I busted out laughing- we look at things so differently. I'm thinking eeww that's gonna smell like bird for awhile. He's thinking, perfect repurposing.

OK - gotta get something else done and get moving. Have a great evening/morning, all!
Old 03-14-2016, 10:58 PM   #109  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Hi, Coaches and Buddies.

I am feeling a bit out of sorts with my habits after the weekend. My sleep, work, exercise, and organization have kind of flown out the window. It is tempting to just "go with the flow" since I have my deadlines coming up soon, but my food tracking today resulting in 50 kcal over plan reminds me I need to not throw everything out. I did not exercise today. Food was OK. I need to get back on track with a healthy breakfast tomorrow morning (oatmeal with berries or mango) and ask my husband to take the pastries he bought out of the house. Lunch and dinner should be find, as long as I stick to fruits and vegetables as sides. I cooked way to much food for the party, so have been freezing much of what I can.

Ani (Daily Practice), I completely understand how weird it feels to walk without a dog. I don't know if I could manage without something to listen to. The one advantage is that there is much less stopping! Some days, when pup is up to it, we walk a few fire hydrants, and then I walk him back home, continuing on the rest of my walk without him.

Bill Blue Eyes, I remember having to write a paper about Breaking Away movie in junior high, comparing and contrasting it to The Outsiders. Great job avoiding snacks on Saturday. Bummer about Sunday luncheon cookies.

Curly Jax, I hope Monday was a wonderful start compared to the bad weekend!

Karen, R. N., I hope you have an amazing trip! I can't wait to read about it!

Mary Ann, glad you survived the weekend and you had helpful parent chaperones! What an awesome contribution you made to so many lives over 25 years!! Thanks for the reminder that "it is not how many times I fall off the wagon, it is how quickly I hop back on". I really needed that message right now.

National Parker, nice of you to let Mary Ann off the hook! Great job with all of the biking milage! Enjoy your turkey with icing and sprinkles! I'm glad the job situation has resolved for your husband. That cut in commuting time should be a big bonus!

One by One, hope weigh in was great and you have a wonderful time in Ottawa.

Sandy (Love 2 Garden), great job with the improved eating recently!
Old 03-15-2016, 12:01 AM   #110  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default Need to be careful

Coaches

I'm in Ottawa now and about to get some shut eye. I have to do better than I did today though. Only one OP meal of 3. Still. I'll t could have been worse

I removed my scale from my luggage cause it was heavy. So, no scale with me. I think that may have been a mistake but I'll see if there is one around here.

Wow super exhausted now.

Bye!
Old 03-15-2016, 06:21 AM   #111  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Tuesday - Ides of March: R.I.P. Julius Caesar (Rome, 44 B.C.)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Didn't walk to class - bummer. The back decides to do its spasm thing about once every five years. This is its chosen moment. If I tread lightly for a few days it returns to hibernation for another five years.

Food was on plan, CREDIT moi, despite wanting to eat to make the back go away. And to make taxes go away. I've done some work; perhaps I'll be ready Wednesday morning when we turn all our data over to the accountant who cranks the numbers through her tax program. I'm rushing off to all all-day seminar; there's likely to be food. My plan is moderation.

onebyone – Waving back to Ottawa. Neat to be committed to sticking to your plan even while away.

FutureFitChick – Good plan to get your DH to take those pastries away.

maryann - Thanks for "it is how quickly I hop back on." I'm touched by your response to the transgender guy; he also gets Kudos from me for choosing what he needed.

nationalparker – Congrats to your DH for choosing time with you over a higher salary. Apparently, no one on their death bed has said, "I wish I'd made more money rather than spending that time with my family."

Karen (karenrn) - 5000 elevation gain is a bunch of going up; and likewise going down. You've got me excited about your trip.

curlyjax - LOL at being pleased that Monday's come. BTDT.

Sandy (love2garden) - Your volunteer work sounds like quite a gift of your time.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 5 Food Pusher Traps

#2: The Passive Pushee Trap

Laura had inadvertently taught her family to keep pushing because when they do, they get what they want. No wonder they keep pushing! I helped Laura see that it's not her family's responsibility to stop pushing food on her. "They're food pushers; that's what they do," I said lightly. "It's your responsibility to stop saying okay. The first change has to come from you, not from them."

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 90
Old 03-15-2016, 09:08 AM   #112  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

hi coaches! credit for yoga yesterday, it always makes me feel better mentally.DD and I still rocky, probably will be for awhile. I said something I shouldn't have over the weekend and she is really hurt/mad. I feel bad for things I have said in the past and feel we are in a bad rut. I need more patience but boy is this kid exhausting and demanding.
Anyhow-good to have a change of scene. And nothing to get into here at work, thanks goodness!

Maryann-wow, what a weekend. So interesting that your son wants to be a priest, his faith must really resonate with him. Good for you to decide to move on from this volunteering task, 25 years is a lot!
Old 03-15-2016, 06:18 PM   #113  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,

Just a quick check in. 7 1/2 mile hike this morning, credit. Food on plan so far today, credit. Doing a few last minute things to be ready for the trip. We'll be leaving the house tomorrow about 7 a.m. First leg is to Houston, then an almost 3 hour layover, then on to Lima. We'll stay the night at a hotel at the airport and then on to Cusco the next day mid-day. I've got a few food items to put in my purse, such as string cheese, dried apricots and a Cliff bar to prevent purchasing the snack on the plane or eating at the airport. Dinner is served on the flight to Lima. My main goal is to come back without a gain. I'm hoping the hiking will burn enough calories. Well, really my main goal is for both of us to have a blast without injury.

I will be taking my phone and may check in if able. If not, I'll be back 3/30. Take care all of you!
Old 03-15-2016, 08:18 PM   #114  

S/C/G: 149/147/130

Height: 5'6"

Hi all. I’m doing okay in the easy times of day. Still trouble with the 4pm lull. I’ve also realized that since this is the umpteenth time I’ve restarted Beck that this time I haven’t really attended conscientiously to all the steps. A key thing I haven’t been doing is logging what I eat, something I’ve done religiously in the past. I realize it is important and a big part of my past successes. So back to that. Yay that I’ve been off sugar drinks for the past many days. Tea is my new Pepsi and it’s finally starting to be a habit I can tolerate. No, more than tolerate. Embrace.

FutureFitChick Yay for realizing that it’s possible (and simply the next right thing) to get back on track with a healthy breakfast. (It’s so encouraging to read everyone’s posts with a similar dynamic… I slipped on aspect A, but gol darn I did well on aspect B and I’ll be back on track tomorrow. Thanks for your thoughts about walking without my pooch. Great idea to bring something to listen to. I’m an audio book addict.

NationalParker: Good to hear you say that you’re starting to move a bit more. And how neat: to be cooking a turkey saved from the holiday. Sounds yummy.

bill: Your writing cracks me up with your description… “until the grind of a meeting seemed to warp my head and I snarfed some cookies from the overflowing table” (I know the feel of that warp). I hope your back pains go way quickly and stay away for another five years.

curlyjax: Bummer to hear you had a bad day all around yesterday.
And nice that you had Monday to look forward to to get out of the house.

KarenRN Kudos on the no sweets and no alcohol. Thanks for the thoughts about walking without my pooch after she’s gotten her walk. And wishing you a great trip.

onebyone Yay for all the positives: staying on track with food; for walking and for packing your stuff early. You’re doing great. And your poetry festival sounds awesome. Have a great trip.

MaryAnn I'm glad to hear you survived this weekend and that you look back on it as a gift of clarity. And encouraging to hear you say that you’re able to quickly hop back on the wagon aftter falling off. Yay that the Fitbit is back on.

Sandy/LoveToGarden Kudos for doing well on food recently. Oh! Hershey’s kisses. My nemesis. Congrats for staying away however you’re doing it. (what do you mean by the fact that they’re “safe from you”.) I hope your knee is back to walking soon.

Have a good one, everyone.
Ani

Last edited by dailypractice; 03-15-2016 at 08:21 PM.
Old 03-15-2016, 09:18 PM   #115  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Well, annoyed that I lost a long post twice due to a timeout error that I've never received before. Shorter post now to say I'm still on track and to wish Karen a safe, fun, memory-filled trip! Looking forward to hearing your recaps!

Tempted myself by coming home for lunch today- ran out of time in the morning to prep my meal and so zipped home, did DH's lunch for tonight and my salad with turkey ... and was out of time, so dressed it and went to work so I wasn't looking through the cupboards over and over for something else to eat, a challenge of mine when I am home for lunch. Streak of one day there. HA.

Bill - Hoping your back issue resolves quickly - back pain just goes right to the core. How was the seminar?

Lexxiss - Thinking of you today and hope you're able to carve out some time to take care of you. Peace.

Love2Garden - Good luck with the knee injection tomorrow - hoping that it provides speedy relief and you and DH can enjoy some walks in the warmer spring weather!

Maryann - were you able to get any time to recharge and relax after the weekend or thrust right into work this week? Thinking of you and your years and years of service - good for you to recognize you're able to pass the torch to others to carry forward how they see it. What a gift you've given year in and year out.
Feel like a slacker not writing to everyone in this note, but want to get in a hot bath tonight since I skipped it last night and then kept going and didn't shut myself down until it was late. Last thought to CurlyJax - early in my marriage I heard if you're arguing with someone to take their hands, look them in the eye and just stop and say I love you. I ended up trying that a few years ago and boy, did the argument come to a screeching halt. Interesting to me, because I'm one to stew about things ... might this work with DD? (I don't with my sister because we are just water/oil and I don't want to do that, though, in all honesty...)

Surprising myself that I'm still on track here - thanks again to all who recommended MFP - it's working.
Old 03-15-2016, 09:31 PM   #116  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Hi, Coaches and Buddies.

Spent most of the day in bed with a terrible sinus headache. I am finally starting to feel it breaking up in my head, so that is a relief. Food was on plan. I did not go on my walk. I am giving myself credit for posting here, even though I don't want to do anything.

Ani (Daily Practice), great job jumping back in with food logging!

Bill Blue Eyes, I hope your back has shaped up and that moderation worked well at the seminar.

Curly Jax, great job getting in yoga. I know you are going through a difficult time with your daughter, but I give you credit for admitting when you have done something that you regret and acknowledging you want to deal with it to improve the relationship.

Karen, R. N., have a safe and amazing journey! Your trip sounds amazing!

National Parker, great job choosing well at lunch and keeping up with MFP!

One by One, hope you have a great trip and Wednesday you are even more on plan than Monday!
Old 03-16-2016, 12:17 AM   #117  
persist

Default And today

Coaches

Fast check in.

No scale here so no weighing until next Tuesday. Ok. Food better today. 2 op meals 1 off but not excessive. I will strive to be OP when possible and will be three meals a day always.

Much more walking. Good.

Poetry highlight was from the poet laureate of Saskatchewan!

Bye.
Old 03-16-2016, 05:11 AM   #118  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Wednesday - Goddard launches 1st liquid fuel rocket (Mass., 1926)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked, CREDIT moi, only to the subway to get to my conference. The back still complains that I've not done enough flexing exercises. It'll heal; it always has. The conference discussed the issues of the new Digital Economy where folks, for example, work for Uber when they want to work. Going to work is merely turning on your Uber App. How does one define "being out of work?"

Food was poor at the conference. I knew a bunch of folks to talk with at the breaks. Cookies were abundant as if the mind only works when fueled by cookies. I did skip the evening reception part - there'd be tons of walking appetizers and caloric liquids. I came home to make myself a tuna fish salad sandwich. Then worked on gathering tax data until late. Did I mention that I HATE taxes?

onebyone – Neat that you got to hear the poet laureate of Saskatchewan.

FutureFitChick – Yep, Super Kudos for posting when you don't want to do anything.

nationalparker – Kudos for "still on track here."

Karen (karenrn) - Waving back toward Cusco. Bon Voyage.

curlyjax - Yay for yoga for mind and body.

Ani (dailypractice) - Kudos for days with sugary drinks. Tea is awesome.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 5 Food Pusher Traps

#2: The Passive Pushee Trap

Laura had never thought about the situation in this way. Like many other dieters, she was hoping for the day when her food pushers would just stop pushing her around so she wouldn't have to keep saying no. But the more dieters give in, the more likely their friends and family are to push food on them in the future. Laura found this concept helpful. She made a reminder card:
I't not my family's job to stop pushing food on me.
They're food pushers; that's what they do. It is my
job to stop giving in. I have to be the one to change.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 90
Old 03-16-2016, 09:07 AM   #119  
persist

Good morning Coaches

I'm off to the studio for a good day of printing with my friend.

My SIL bought, washed,.and cut up raw veggies for me. That was wonderful. So I have three baggies.coming with me to keep me happily OP.

Also I have a 23 min walk to the good bus from here. And that's 23 min back as well. So this is my intentional exercise until I leave Ottawa. Buses are pretty good but it takes 90min for me to get where I am going so I'd better be off.

Have a great OP day Becksters!
Old 03-16-2016, 01:56 PM   #120  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Sounds like a few of us are under the weather, sinus headache, touchy back and my fever (too many kids in too small a space I think.). I really hear BBE when he talks about wanting to "snack" the pain away. Me, too.

Exciting news about nationalparker's husband's new job and KarenRn's trip. I leave a week from tomorrow for Ireland. I am doing a few to get ready as well. Still have to get through DS confirmation ceremony and party this Saturday.

curleyjax: My little brother has always been difficult. Sometimes people are just born that way. Maybe they are put in our life to make us better people. They challenge us to find the kindest, most generous part of ourselves.

love2garden: My mom does the adoration. She really enjoys it. that might be a way for me to get my service work in.

Steps yesterday before the fever set in were over 10,000. Weight is highish but I have a plan for today.

Last edited by maryann; 03-16-2016 at 01:57 PM.
Closed Thread