Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 08:43 AM   #91  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up being kind to myself

Coaches

I'm taking it easy this week. I have an Art in the Park this weekend so I'll be busy enough then. I was going to spend the whole day in the ceramic studio but am now thinking I'll do half a day there instead. Unless I am playing with the clay. There are 2 things I'd like to attempt after I finish what I have to finish. I need to create more of my own pottery pieces to add to the ones I am making in collaboration with my friend M.

Credit for taking some pressure off.

Credit as well for stepping on the scale. I was worried after the close call last night where I really wanted to eat too much and, as usual, I predicted a scale rise this morning and I saw a 0.4lb drop. My psychic abilities are consistent! The drop put me to 267.9

So many would be horrified to see that number. For me, I don't even remember when I went from the battle to remain at/under 250 (I battled long and hard and lost that time) and then all of a sudden I was 274+.
I am thrilled to be inching away from "being 300lbs" which is where I was heading and surely where I would be were it not for Beck and this group. Just coming here, for years now, posting, venting, writing, thinking, being inspired, watching others lose and maintain, also for years, has worked its way into my brain and given me a solid hope that I too can do that. Why not me? And why not YOU if you feel you are struggling. No matter how things are, just come back. Just post. Just try and keep trying. It is a healthful positive act.

Have a great day.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:31 AM   #92  

S/C/G: 267/212/160

Height: 5'3"

This is just a quickie to report on that weird meatloaf -- well, it was weird. Heh. By the time I ground up all the veggies to go into it, I had pretty much as much veggie matter as meat, and then added a full cup of All Bran shreds along with a couple eggs and some beef broth (to wet the All Bran.) I should have left out the broth, I think, as the ground up veggies were quite wet in their own right.

But, it was edible, and when mixed together on the plate with some mashed spuds and some steamed peas, it was actually somewhat like cottage pie/shepherd's pie. The texture was a bit soft fro meatloaf, but the flavour was fine. I'd seasoned it with salt and Mexican oregano and thyme and a generous amount of cayenne, and that helped. Both my husband and son ate it with no problem, and the slices I saved back in the fridge for supper tonight (cold meatloaf made into sandwiches is one of my favourites) are firmer for having been chilled, so tonight it should taste even better. All in all, it worked out ok, and next time I believe I will use no broth and perhaps squeeze the juice from the ground veggies.

Hope today will go well for all of you! I have doctor visits today, and then tomorrow my mother is coming over during the day (a weekly tradition) and I have my TOPS meeting in the evening. I'll try to check in here,though!
Old 08-12-2015, 11:10 AM   #93  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I had extra snacks yesterday. Mostly a response to an unsettling combination of desperation and procrastination. What the situation really needed was patience and persistence. Pretty much every situation I'm tackling right now needs patience and persistence. I guess that will give me a lot of practice.

New response card:

Quote:
Patience and Persistence will get me where I want to go.
WI: +0.45 kg, Exercise: +60 470/1300 minutes for August, Food: 60% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

wallenda: my method for not losing posts is to write my post in Notepad, then copy and paste it when I'm done. Your exercise may be causing some temporary water retention.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:24 AM   #94  
Fighting Piano Butt!

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Okay, so far so good. I saw a slightly lower number on the scale this morning. Paying attention to protein grams at each meal and snack is helping me stay fuller and beat cravings. I did yoga this morning - just half an hour - overdoing it exhausts me. And most crucially of all, I was in bed by 11:30 last night ... so I don't feel like a craving-plagued zombie today. Woohoo! onward!
Onebyone - you are doing awesome and going in the right direction! Kudos
Old 08-12-2015, 07:24 PM   #95  

Hello Coaches,

Went to bed so stinkin' mad at myself that I downloaded an app to keep track of my calories. Ha! I don't mind writing down what I am eating, but I hate, hate, hate writing down the calories. But I am doing it anyway. I will say that today it really helped me stay focused and on track - but I was still feeling ill and bloated from my indulgences yesterday that was probably the real reason I stayed on track

onebyone:
good for you for taking some pressure off yourself.

Lexxis: good suggestion on the salad, I am still craving more sushi - probably the MSG or something, I don't know.

nationalparker: don't be too hard on yourself - you have had a great week! And with your husband on the wagon with ya....I am happy for the both of you.

wallenda:
I weight myself everyday just to keep me focused, but I usually only compare the same days (like how I am tracking every Monday) to determine my overall success or decline.

BillBB:
Have a great trip!

I am going to go lift weights and then relax with a book in bed. And feel good that today was so much better than yesterday!!
Old 08-12-2015, 07:55 PM   #96  

Height: 5' 2"

SuzLen Could you sleep after being so mad?
Good for you deciding to do what is necessary. I've come to the same conclusion and am getting more comfortable doing this.

eusebius I agree that now that I'm eating more protein at each meal and at snacks, my energy is better. Sacrificed some of the carbs, but not the fruit & veggies. Today amazed at the energy to go longer at gym and be blessed with extra 5 minute on the great massage, then not dozing during the time in the prayer chapel later in the afternoon.

NationalParker Life will be easier with both of you eating healthier.

OnebyOne Always I'll encourage you to take some "ME" time. As hard as you work, you need to back off and relax more often. Remember, even the Good Lord took the 7th day as a day of rest.

Debbie I seem to remember you have this coming Sunday off. Take care of yourself, too. How did your shopping go this evening?

Gym for strength and aerobics, 70 minutes, CREDIT
Snacks taken with me were healthy, all food logged and within plan CREDIT
Weigh today was back down to early Aug number and my shoes feel better. CREDIT
All food and exercise logged CREDIT

GardeningJoy I didn't know exercise could cause water retention.

Lenny Interesting and healthy meatloaf. Did it hold together well enough for your supper sandwich?
Old 08-12-2015, 09:30 PM   #97  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Day 10 for me. Rebounded as well as I could from yesterday evening's frustrations. Slept well, up early and walked the trail a bit (not long but enough for fresh air, sunshine and a mentally good start to the day).

Credits include reaching out to cousin to see if she'll be on track with us getting in more activity (YES!), sharing our goals and achievements - even if just 20 minutes of walking on a busy day. Neither of us wants to get out there but both are fine when we finally get out there. Also prepped healthy stuff for upcoming meals - for DH and for me. Walked at lunch while on the phone with cousin, and walked on the trail tonight. Amazing how easy it is to commit when it's not so humid haha. Looking back on my day, I aced it for once. Lunch was cancelled bc I got stuck in a meeting and so ate my backup of almonds and oatmeal. Dinner was leftover half of yesterday's lunch and a salad.

Tomorrow's goal is to be active for half hour somehow again... and add in more water.

THANK YOU for listening to me gripe about my terrible choices last night and knowing everyone else bounces back so quickly, encouraged me to do so as well.

Trying to take tomorrow afternoon off - we'll see.

SuzLen - What I found helped me for awhile was not adding up my calories but counting them down - starting at 1,500 or wherever and then when you hit 0, it's really hard to go -200 calories but it was easier for me to go 1,700 calories and then say oh, i'll eat less tomorrow ... but going into the negatives hit me harder.

OneByOne - Don't forget to change your ticker! You're below it now! HOORAY. Great job!

Bill - Do you plant things that come to harvest in the autumn in your community garden?

The other night, DH sprung on me the idea of going to Italy next month. Just a week with two days here and there and I was stunned. OF COURSE I want to go but I want to anticipate it and plan it and save for it and stay in the fave place I want to stay in Florence and of course it's booked now. So as much as it absolutely killed me, I suggested we wait until next late September. ARGH. He wanted to semi-surprise me. He did. Yowsers.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:24 AM   #98  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

hi coaches!
It's weird to be the first one on here
I woke up hungry so that was good, I must not have had that much to eat yesterday.
DH found out he didn't get a job that he had a second interview on, so we were pretty bummed, I had a good feeling about it. Back to the drawing board.
I set up a place to volunteer on my day off, helping out at a non profit that serves elders. I think it will be fun, and give me a chance to see what its like being at another agency. Plus more experience and another reference down the line when I figure out my next step job wise in -i'm trying to make a six month plan.
Lenny- Welcome! and I'm impressed your family ate the veggie meatloaf! My DH eats many things but would probably bawk at that one. It sounds good!
Waving to all! hope your weather is as beautiful as ours its here today!
Old 08-13-2015, 10:34 AM   #99  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

I have to report a wonderful experience I had last evening. I didn't eat at work and I had already decided to head right to Denver after work for a super sale at a garden center. It was worth it. I bought some huge planter boxes I would have never paid full price for and managed to fit them all into my tiny car. I had already planned my dinner but when I got home I didn't feel like cooking. I changed to a much lighter fare and sat outside with the pups and watched hummingbirds. Came in and moved my clothes from washer to dryer then prepped my light meal. I felt very "normal". I was not obsessing over food even though I hadn't eaten all day. It felt "right" to make a lighter and easier choice. It felt "good" to be pretty caught up with household chores. I gave myself credit. One day at a time I choose to continue to work towards an easier and more fulfilling life without all the food/drink which once left me with 100# of extra baggage to carry around every day. I am grateful.

curlyjax, I am sorry to hear your DH didn't get the job and you are back to the drawing board. Kudos to you for working on your own 6 month plan in the meantime.

nationalparker, kudos for your rebound and congrats on your upcoming trip to Italy. Great that you had an emergency meal ready when your lunch plans didn't work out.

love2garden, Credit for Credits! LOL As you have read, shopping went well. Thx for asking! Glad to hear your energy is better!

SuzLen, my food plan, South BeachDiet, doesn't require calorie counting but I do consider that to be my back up plan. When I start getting out of control I resort to counting. I think it's tedium in my busy life helps me get back on track. Credit for "doing it anyway" even though you hate hate hate it.

eusebius, kudos for early bedding and "just" half an hour of yoga. Balance.

gardenerjoy, yes, patience and persistence! Kudos for a new response card!

lennylouwho, thanks for the meatloaf report. Kudos for trying something new!

onebyone, yay for deciding to take it easy this week. Yay for a drop in the scale. I remember your 250 and have every confidence that is where you are again heading now!

I've been waiting for over a week for my DH to return with the big vehicle so we could go get treated 4x4's I need to help complete my little greenhouse. Perhaps empowered by my normal feeling day yesterday I decided this morning that "IF" I could get them in my little car that's what I was going to do. By myself. I cleaned out the car and put the seats down….got a piece of 7 ft trim from the basement and in the dark determined that 8 ft would fit in my car. I was sitting at HDepot at 6am and was home by 7 with my lumber. I have to wait a bit before I can call my friend to see if she can help today. Happy to have energy as I continue to focus on healthy eating. Credit.

Have a great day everyone!
Old 08-13-2015, 05:48 PM   #100  

Height: 5' 2"

Debbie Your energy and ability to get things done amaze me. Great advertisement for focus on healthy eating and persistence.

Credit: Lots of steamed broccoli left from earlier in the week. I didn't share it at all. Loved my lunch with 2 cups at least and a piece of cheese with water.

CurleyJax Waking up hungry today may start you toward a healthier morning today, and perhaps carry on. Sorry the job for DH didn't work out.

National Parker What strength to be willing to wait till 2016 to be able to get the things that mean most for you both in the trip. Bet he will enjoy talking and planning, too. That is always fun.

House cleaning takes more energy than I realize. Checked on Supertracker and realized that my pedometer doesn't show the steps, but I used my arms more in putting on clean sheets in two bedrooms, vacuuming five rooms, and laundry. Glad to finally put all that stuff in proper place.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:13 PM   #101  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Day 11. (I have to keep writing this to remind myself that it's stringing days together that makes a difference mentally for me, so please bear with me...) Today's challenge was "hunger is not an emergency" ... I was planning to work the morning and be off this afternoon, but ended up staying at work on a project two hours later, then running some errands on the way home, so I didn't eat lunch until 3. I was so hungry and had to restrict myself from making a really large portion - but figured I'd use it as my main meal so did a burrito bowl with items I'd prepped last night. Bought fresh pico de gallo -- delish. Last night I'd prepped cilantro lime brown rice, black beans in spicy sauce, cut up and seasoned one chicken breast and made both of our meals this afternoon, cutting the kernels off an ear of corn as well. Added onion and lettuce and it was substantial, but pretty healthy and good protein. Need to remember to work that into the meal rotation since we both really like it. And way less than Chipotle's 700+ calories despite a full bowl.

DH continues to be on track with me, asking how many calories is in this or that, and making healthy choices. I am hopeful.

I fly out to Oregon on a work trip Sunday through Wednesday night and so I'm trying to cram in getting things done at home with relaxing a bit, too...

Still hot to walk outside (not for Karen, but it is for me and the pooch!) as it's still close to 90. I think I have a yoga dvd that I can dust off and try - thank you for the yoga idea, Eusebius. I need a guide now - it's been so long! Your "just" a half hour might be more than I can manage.

This is our semi-anniversary. DH and I will celebrate when he's off on Saturday evening. Corny, but we also celebrate the date we KNEW we'd be together, umm...right after we met! haha. So far, so great. I have an envelope that we save up a few dollars here and there to cover our anniversary dinners, and I just checked and we've $65! He teases me but it works. A bit here and there isn't noticed, but adds up. Nothing whatsoever to do with Beck but slow and steady...i suppose.

I'm struggling with wanting another decent sized meal tonight, despite not being HUNGRY. It's dinner time and I think I should be sitting down for a meal. Drinking iced tea, doing laundry, checking in here, trying to keep my mind off food. I will prep a salad before long if needed ... have ample fresh ingredients.

Bill - Safe travels - LOVE your line that you might not choose the restaurant, might not choose what goes on your plate, but you CAN choose what goes in your mouth. That will get written down on this end.

Lexxiss - Envying you your new planter boxes - congrats for taking advantage of a good sale! Feels good to put forth the effort and come away with something you can use. Kudos on prepping a healthy light meal and, like Love2Garden, I remain impressed at your ability to go, go, go (and do, do, do)!

CurlyJax - Sorry to hear that DH's position didn't pan out - keeping fingers crossed that it wasn't the right one and that one is waiting right around the corner! C'mon good job vibes!! Good of you to volunteer more time with the elder non-profit - only good can come of that. They'll be so appreciative!

Love2Garden - I thought I was getting stuff done around here - I'd better step it up! I went to type in what I'd heard about temporary water retention from exercise and then figured I'd just link here since that'll be better than what I could remember.

Maryann - Hope you're having a few good days here and thinking of you!

Last edited by nationalparker; 08-13-2015 at 07:19 PM.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:22 PM   #102  
Fighting Piano Butt!

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Good evening Coaches,

It’s been going well! Another small loss on the scale this morning - very encouraging. I am reading my response cards and the steady protein intake is really helping me stay on track. I had a nice run in 10C sunny conditions this morning, followed by strength training where I am seeing slow improvements. I can plank for 40 seconds now

Things are heating up on the work front as I was offered a new choral accompanying job - so now I’ll be at rehearsal 3 nights a week instead of just one! I am thinking that my slow cooker is going to get a lot of use this year.

love2garden - very cool that we are on the same page with the protein. I think a lower/slower-carb approach seems to work well for me, but I love pasta too much to cut it out entirely! Portion control …

nationalparker - FIRENZE! sono molto gelosa Which yoga dvd are you using?

Waving to all!
Old 08-13-2015, 08:43 PM   #103  

Hello Coaches,

Another day within calories (CREDIT), but a bit off on food choices. I left for work at 6:00 and am just getting home, so I grabbed something before open house began at school. It wasn't the best place, but I made the best choice I could and stayed within calories.

eusebius: congrats on more work. I would imagine it is wonderful to hear beautiful singing three nights a week. All of my children were singers and the multiple choir concerts were the highlights of each year.

nationalparker: yea for rebounding and going at it again! My counter shows negative numbers and it freaks me out when I get close to zero. Hopefully I won't have to do this for a super long time, but the last two days it has been what I needed to stay on track.

Lexxiss: I laughed at you using your car as a pickup truck - good for you! Your energy for the garden amazes me, I feel nothing but frustration over it.

curlyjax: I am adding my best wishes and good job vibes with all the others!

love2garden:
I had a terrible night, but obviously that was what it took to straighten me out!

Hope your trip is going well BillBB, and thinking of you, Maryann, as students begin arriving here on Monday. Hope your new school year starts off great!

Have a good night everyone.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:46 PM   #104  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default Evening

Coaches

Phone check in. So official weight was 267.8 today. Credit for my consistent efforts. Credit for weighing. Credit for tracking. Credit for being mindful and accepting there will be many opportunities daily to with stay on track or go off track. Credit for choosing to stay on track.

Stress-wise, well the level is rising. I am Gallery Coordinator at our guild tea room/craft/art Gallery and the new artist for the month needs a lot of hand holding. I am doing what needs to be done but it feels like a lot of hand holding. It will wrap up tomorrow. This is good as I drive 45/min in the evening to set up my display (tent and table and other display things) at this weekend's Art in the Park. I have to load the car with only my display, no stock, set.it up, then go back to the studio to get my stock so I don't have to do that at 5 am Saturday morning. Ugh. I heard the temperature was supposed to be 30C and humid, feeling like 39C. Sigh. That is not shopping weather but omg get me shade weather. I am hoping the weatherman is wrong.

Anyway I continue to not eat over these things out of my control. I may fuss and worry but I let it all go. I have plenty of other things to occupy my mind.

Bye for now.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:11 AM   #105  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Late post. I suspect I would have had a better eating day if I'd posted this morning. That's tomorrow's goal!
Closed Thread