Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 06:34 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Beck Diet For Life/Solution – July 2015 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Welcome to the discussion group, support group, Diet Coach group, Diet Buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:and the first bookThe Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with ou plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.
This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you've landed at the site of 3 Fat Chicks (3FC), a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post, can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:
Old 07-01-2015, 06:34 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday - Canada Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – We had late dinner on the patio of salmon steaks - a fav - to complete an on-plan day, CREDIT moi. I took the dishes inside while DW returned to her gardens in the fading light. I can certainly report that The Girl on the Train was a page turner; I couldn't put it down until I finished it. But then, I'm a sucker for who-done-its. It takes place in England where the protagonist frequently goes out to the off-license; I had to google 'off-license'. Turns out that isn't an illegal place to buy wine, it's a licenced place to buy alcohol for consumption off site. When you want to drink a pint of beer, you go to a place with an 'on-license' which, however, is called a pub. At first I had difficulty following the plot. The story is told in the first person. But, with no change in style whatsoever, that person changes from chapter to chapter. The speaker's name is the name of the chapter which I ignore when reading a novel. Since I missed that, I was really scrambled; I would have expected to hear a difference in the style of the speaker but there is none whatsoever. Summary: Page turner that leaves no lingering issues to ponder - a summer beach read.

Walked, CREDIT moi, to Dunkin' Donuts for bags of Dark Roast coffee (off-license, I suppose) and then to Trader Joe's to get pecans. I had their FREE sample of roasted potatoes and veggies rather mindlessly. I declared it to be my afternoon snack. It was small. It tasted like roasted potatoes and veggies. Oh, Well. I walked briskly past Whole Foods knowing that my Resistance Muscle was compromised and that I'd probably gobble whatever was offered.

onebyone – Just love reading, "All is well and on track." Thanks for the picture of a joyful bowl.

Erika (eusebius) – It's just amazing that progress with clothes fitting better leads the brain to produce the Sabotaging Thought that now is the time to stop working. Kudos for recognizing that.

maryann - Wishing you well with the patience thing - that one is a challenge for me.

Karen (karenrn) - Hope you can concentrate on hiking at Sequoia instead of just looking up and gawking.

curlyjax - Kudos for avoiding Ben and Jerry's and Kudos again for working on the issue of how much to eat to avoid hunger. I was surprised to read in Beck that it's common to project that we'll be hungry in a situation where that really isn't likely.

Sandy (love2garden) - Where did you previously go camping?

SuzLen - Yep, Mexican restaurants are a challenge when the chips appear as you sit down; they're a bigger challenge when you arrive late and hungry. Hope it went well with the future in-laws.

Diane (diane1102) - Yay for conquering the Avatar. Neat strategy to cook the night before so that dinner isn't just planned, it's ready.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 39 Keep Up with Exercise

How Claire Changed

After a few weeks, Claire started to get a sense of mastery. Soon she felt comfortable enough to stop working with a personal trainer and start working out on her own. She transformed her view of herself from a person who "knew" she was weak, had no stamina, and was incapable of sustaining an exercise program, to a person who kept getting stronger and stronger and knew for sure she would keep it up for life.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 253.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:40 AM   #3  

Default July

Good morning!

I did not stay entirely on plan but CREDIT for not overeating. I left half of my mexican dinner on the plate. Dinner was soooo late and I knew I would not feel well in the morning if I ate too much. I ate only a few tortilla chips, mostly because I was sitting by my mother who hardly ate any at all. She is a good stop-gap, haha. I may not let her go home

I haven't gotten all the way through the Beck book, so I am sure that she addresses how to handle social eating with going out. I did the best I could, and feel good about my effort.

Exercise is pretty much off until I return, but that's okay. I know this is for the long haul, I think that is why I am appreciating the book so much. This is a life-time change for me. I can't remember who said it in an earlier post, but in essence she said not to give up what you can't live without forever - learn moderation.

My biggest help, so far, has been the necessity to tolerate hunger. I don't know why, and it may change later, but for know, I cling to that.

Bill, thanks for the book review. I can't tell you how jealous I am that you are within walking distance of a Trader Joe and Whole Food Market. I have to drive an hour to Whole Food and there is not Trader Joe anywhere. That's fabulous.

Oh, and by the way, my son's future in-laws are just wonderful people. They raised a great daughter. I am excited for their future together.

Have a great first day of July everyone!
Old 07-01-2015, 09:05 AM   #4  

Default Progressing in the book

I have been progressing in the book. But I take 2 days for each chapter. It felt like I was rushing through by doing a chapter each day. I didn't get a chance to internalize what I was reading and then jumped to the next concept.

I'm at the point in the book that describes differentiating between hunger, desire or cravings. I really need to get this part. I know this is a big issue for me. Just last night I was thinking I wanted something. I was having one of those moments where the devil is on one shoulder and the angel is on the other! One was telling me I really wanted it, the other was telling me I wasn't hungry. So here's credit for me for resisting the temptation and identifying that I wasn't hungry.

That's all for now. Have a great day!
Old 07-01-2015, 11:16 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Credit for walk yesterday. Credit for sticky to my smoothie and salad goal. Credit for quality time with DS all day. I highly recommend a new board game we are playing - Carcassonne. It is a strategy game that doesn't go on forever, is easy to learn, a very different each game.

BBE: I am going to skip the thriller. I am pretty sensitive to "The next big book" Never read gone girl, 50 shades or the girl with the dragon tattoo. Often the writing is too poor to stand the violence that accompanies popularity. On the other hand, I am on book sixth of No. 1 Ladies Detective. It is certainly not a nobel prize winner but I know everything will turn out ok in the end which is vital for any summer read for me.
OnebyOne: Super job with weightloss. You are on a roll.
curlyjax: So glad your son is happy in his visit. There were only a few times in my life I could go and stay with someone. I treasure each memory. Each time provided a break from the family system (both good and bad) and that is important.
diane1102: I remember differentiating between hunger and craving opened up a whole world for me. I had never question before the urgency of the craving. And I had never thought about my ability to say "No, it isn't an emergency."

Last edited by maryann; 07-01-2015 at 11:22 AM.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:19 PM   #6  
Fighting Piano Butt!

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Good afternoon Coaches,

I am having a mini-retreat today! It’s Canada Day (a happy one to onebyone and all Canadians reading this) so I don’t have to work. I am taking extra time to read, watch a dharma talk, do yoga (for a whole hour today! aaahhhh) and meditate. It is absolutely healing for body and soul to have a day like this. I even ate my oatmeal mindfully this morning!

I had 3 squares of dark chocolate last night and they were divine. Best 1 point I ever spent.

diane1102 - love the new avatar! Beautiful blossoms. Kudos for good choices and food prep - very Beck (Prepare Your Environment!) Also kudos for recognizing the difference between hunger and cravings: a huge step.

curlyjax - ooooh embracing mild hunger is a big challenge for me too.

onebyone - inner saboteurs suck! Love the bowl and the message.

BillBE - Thanks for the book review - I think I might enjoy it! It might be a while before I get to it; I’m in the middle of the first Game of Thrones book and it’s really sucked me in. I must say I’m relieved to hear that you have a mindless free sample every once in a while … I thought your resistance muscle had grown to superhuman proportions! LOL

SuzLen - oh major kudos for leaving half your Mexican meal!! Very impressive. How great to know that your son is marrying someone with a great family

maryann - kudos for sticking to your eating and exercise goals. Carcassonne sounds like fun.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:10 PM   #7  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

I've been a bit distracted. DH returns tomorrow and my old pup is not doing too well. I spent time with the pup this morning weighing the options since his cardiologist is out of state. I finally decided I wanted her colleagues opinion so made the call for appt. They couldn't get me in, except via emergency, but said my vet had requested my #. Sure enough she called and we discussed option #2, since #1 was put him on oxygen and overnight him at the clinic. He has some new pills and I have her cell#. I can text her any time and will send his vitals in the morning and she will reevaluate.. Wow! This young woman is half my age and is a rockstar! Anyway, the pup does show a little improvement and I kept my massage appt this afternoon. Food has been alright. I've only had my smoothie and watermelon and a healthy dinner today. I have a treat for later.
I made 2 trips to Costco in the past 2 days and didn't nibble either time. I noticed that everyone else did. credit to Beck for that.

I may be scarce for a few more days, although I will continue my morning check in at South Beach. DH and I have a big reintegration and some serious decisions. I promise I will be back. I'm committed to you all for the long haul!
Old 07-02-2015, 06:26 AM   #8  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday - Full Moon

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Did gym, CREDIT moi, feeling slightly more focused than the other day. I used one pound heavier dumbbells for the bicep curls; I'll take the small advances. Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, with only fruit snacks for the day. Yay for cherries in season. Yay for blueberries. It's my season of the year.

Did a touch of day 40: Enrich Your Life by viewing the amazing exhibit of Mark Rothko's Harvard Murals. The murals had become too faded to be considered worthy of display until some smart guys figured out how to project light on them that corrected the color, pixel by pixel, back to the original. The geek in me was mesmerized. We attended to be there at 4pm when the projectors were turned off so that we could see both the before and after. It's touted as a method of non-invasive restoration. Count me as impressed.

Erika (eusebius) – Using Canada Day for a mini-retreat sounds like a good use of your time. Kudos for having only 3 squares of dark chocolate.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Super Kudos for two trips to Cosco without touching the samples. I'm impressed with your vet.

maryann - Carcassonne look fun. Kudos for a good day all around.

SuzLen - Kudos for "only a few tortilla chips" - that one's hard for me to get right. It's neat that you like your machatunim (Yiddish word for co-parents-in-law that has no English equivalent).

Diane (diane1102) - Yep, taking your notion of the right length of time to do a Beck 'day' is just right. Kudos for working the issue of identifying hunger - always a tough one.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 39 Keep Up with Exercise

How You Can Change

Is there something that stops you from getting consistent exercise? Like Claire, do you view yourself as a non-exerciser? Do you fail to solve problems because you don't really want to exercise? If so, then do the following:
Focus on how you'll feel after you finish exercising, not on how you feel at the moment. Remind yourself that the hardest part is just getting started.
. . .

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 253.
Old 07-02-2015, 08:54 AM   #9  

Morning to all,

Another night out at a restaurant, this time with my husbands brother and sister and their spouses. CREDIT for staying on plan - had a yummy Pollo Rosa Maria with grilled asparagus. Left half on plate for husband to enjoy, but it was tough because it was so yummy. Am going out tonight with my daughter, granddaughter, and mother. Four generations out for a "girl's night." I am expecting the scale to start rising despite my best efforts - eating out is such a challenge.

BillBB: There is really nothing technology doesn't seem able to do - thanks for the link.

Lexxis: I am so sorry that you are having such trials - good thoughts and best wishes for you.

Eusebius: Glad you got a day off to rejuvenate - sounds like you made the most of it.

maryann: I played Carcassonne only once and really liked it, but we are all big fans of Settler of Catan as well. Board games are one of our favorite pasttimes.

diane1102: I am having to go through the book slowly as well. It does help internalize.

Still have close to 100 degree temps out here. Make life miserable, but got the grandkids a pool so we are enjoying time outside under a big shade tree in the water.

Have a great Thursday.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:45 AM   #10  

Default Holiday Weekend issues

good morning everybody.

I am looking forward to some time off but I also have some apprehension. I don't do well when I have a long stretch of unstructured time. We have no plans for the weekend. No trips to the beach, no barbecues, etc. We need to do some shopping for a redecorating project -- painting the bedrooms and upstairs bathroom. And we talked about a bike ride. So I need to make sure I plan my meals and don't skip some meals and overeat on others. That has been my weekend pattern and I need to break it.

Enjoy the holiday.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:22 AM   #11  
Green Tomatoes

I've been eating badly enough to make myself feel miserable at night. And, feeling stupid for doing it day after day. So, stopping now. Credit for having a food plan today full of healthy foods. That seems to be my biggest motivator right now -- to see how healthy I can eat with all the great summer berries, loads of kale from my garden, and cool things like purple carrots from the farmers market. Credit for meeting my exercise goals in June even while all my other healthy behaviors fell apart. Credit for posting here! Credit for reading my advantages and responses, including this one:

Quote:
I don't eat candy. I wish I could but it's ridiculously triggering for me. I hate the cravings it generates and I don't want to do that to myself anymore. I deserve better.
WI: NA kg, Exercise: +40 40/1300 minutes for July, Food: NA op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 07-02-2015, 01:09 PM   #12  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Didn't post yesterday, but had the same news as today. Food planned and within calories and I got my exercise. Yesterday was strength training workout with a bit of elliptical afterwards. Today was cardio only, 35 minutes on the elliptical and then 40 minutes on the treadmill with an incline. I wore my HR monitor and did some HIIT training on the treadmill where I would put the incline up and get my HR up to 160 and then step off to the rails to let it come down to 140. I guess that is supposed to be good. It's hard. I find it easier to get my HR up on the steep trail.

I am finding the gym is working out well this week except that I just can't stay and do 2 1/2 hours like I do when I hike. I was down a pound today though, so I'll take it. I think I've found the winning combination, no alcohol or sweets. My carbs come mostly from fruit although I have bread or a potato on occasion and I do eat some cereal with plain yogurt and applesauce almost every morning cause I like it. I think my diet is about as healthy as it has ever been and I feel very good.

Gardenerjoy You have been missed. Glad to see you and glad you have a healthy plan.

Diane Yes planning the meals is huge for me, so I hope it works for you. I often log everything into MFP in the morning and then if the meal changes, I change MFP, but otherwise I just look back on it to help me remember what I am going to eat. I will admit I've gotten a bit rigid, but it's been so long since I've been that way and it's working right now.

SuzLen Holy moly, all the restaurant meals would be difficult. Sounds like you're doing pretty darn well though. Keep it up!

Bill It seems to be that you do a really good job of enriching your life everyday. That's something I really need to work on.

Lexxis I hope your old pup is doing okay. Not easy, huh? Sounds like you have an excellent vet. How do you get your dogs vital signs. Do you just listen for HR and respiratory rate or do you have doppler equipment for BP?

Eusebius Happy Belated Canada Day to you. Sounds like you had a very nice day for yourself.

Maryann I hope you're getting better day by day. Glad you got out for a walk.

Well, best get cleaned up and on with the day.
Old 07-02-2015, 01:33 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

hi coaches!
credit for gym yesterday, with strength training and walking. Did elliptical for barely 5 minutes- boy is that hard! Got ready made food from Wegmans which I love- chose two veggie entrees and turkey which was salty but lower calories. minus credit for indulging in their bulk candy- it is so cheap! Less caloric than ice cream anyhow.
Tomorrow DH and I will have the house to ourselves which rarely happens! We will go out go eat and maybe a movie! I will be mindful and choose carefully as I have been over indulging. No big holiday plans but will get some shared exercise in, and maybe get back to working on the trellis project!
Gardenerjoy- woo, can I relate to your first 2 sentences! Glad you are ok and posting. I like your statement about candy although I am clearly not there yet!
Karenrn-your eating sounds so healthy, its inspiring! Glad you feel so good. Yes, I last a lot longer outdoors than in the gym too, it gets too boring.
Diane- I hear you,k unstructured weekends can be hard for me too.
Lexiss-sorry about your pup! Sending you strength for making serious decisions.
Maryann- I like those books too! and they made a decent televised version too.
Waving to all and happy fourth to the Americans!

Last edited by curlyjax; 07-02-2015 at 01:33 PM.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:15 PM   #14  

Height: 5' 2"

Credit: Gym 1 hour and I had to push hard to keep going every minute. Sometimes Gym feels good, but not this time.

Books: These rainy days I've enjoyed reading a lot more.

Yesterday's binge was first in over 2 months, but I'm sure glad to be over it.

Happy fourth to all in USA.
Old 07-03-2015, 04:59 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 185/160/150

Height: 5' 3"

Smile Newbie seeking support

Hello from England,

I plan to start a diet next Monday..

I live by myself in our East Midlands. Former college teacher. Old, divorced and retired, with family neither nearby nor too far away.

Age-related health problems require me to stay active, which would probably be easier if I weighed less, hence the diet.

Looking forward to a reply,

Mike
Closed Thread