Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 07:06 AM   #31  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Welcome wallenda

wallenda

And, on the occasion of your first post,

How did you learn about the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you discover our forum here on 3 Fat Chicks?
Old 08-05-2015, 07:13 AM   #32  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Enrich Your Life event was to attend King Lear on the Boston Common last night - a superb performance. With the threatened thunderstorms, the crowd was slightly smaller than expected for a first class, FREE, production. The sound system projected crisp understandable words for all speakers - clear enough for me to catch the phrase from Albany: "If you marry, make your love to me; My lady is bespoke." Apparently, Shakespeare had heard the word. DW and I were both mesmerized. We were surrounded by folks with picnic spreads of good breads, cheeses, salads, and wines. Boston can be a classy city.

Food was on plan, CREDIT moi, including grilled salmon before grabbing the subway to the Boston Common. Earlier, the afternoon was interrupted by a hail storm! No kidding! Marble sized balls just started falling. After days of no rain, we're grateful for moisture from the sky but hail is rare around here. No major damage noted.

onebyone – So quickly I've gone from never having heard the word 'bespoke' to finding that it's everywhere. Kudos for "I didn't eat over this."

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Wincing at "a lot of twists and turns" - sometimes good, sometimes not so much. No donuts since 2009 amazes me. Kudos for "a baggy of cereal into my purse" as a backup.

maryann - Yay for the California Bucket Brigade. I know a family whose shower drain is connected straight to their garden - they use bio-degradable soap.

nationalparker – Just love reading, "is an investment in happiness." It's so neat that we sometimes take care of ourselves.

Sandy (love2garden) - Dipping water from your washing machine is true dedication.

SuzLen - Having plans for different places is Super Kudos worthy. Makes sense to me that the first step in setting up your room is just to refresh its picture in your mind.

wallenda - We will be delighted to serve as your on-line Diet Coach and ask you to assume that role with us. Please take your time getting used to us all. We each post our status - daily is best - in our own style. When we have time available, we speak to one another (called 'personals' in local parlance). My standard recommendation is to avoid personals until the different posters begin to become visible as individuals. Then, to only post one or a few as feels right to you.

Kudos for already choosing your eating plan (Paleo) - that's a great first step. And Super Kudos for starting the gym. Do you have a membership? Glad that you've joined us.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 42 Practice, Practice, Practice

reminders to think thin

If you think ... I can't believe the scale has gone up! This is terrible! I'll never be able to lose weight.

Remind yourself ... My weight is supposed to go up sometimes. I should continue with the Beck Diet Solution program and wait two weeks before assuming there is a problem.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 267.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:27 AM   #33  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Shocked that I have joined together two on plan days - as in REALLY on plan - and on my way with Day 3. Up early before alarm and decided to take a walk with the pooch as the oppressive humidity broke yesterday and she was more than thrilled to walk next to the cornfields as the sun rose and we were serenaded by various birds.

Last night was an emotional one for me - I accidentally deleted all of the photos from my phone - hundreds and hundreds. Included in that was the one I didn't want to lose - audio of my Dad's answering machine. When I realized that I'd deleted the whole gallery and not just the accidental video clip I took, I broke down in heaving sobs while trying to figure out how to restore it. No luck but about an hour and a half later I found another copy on my computer. Thought I lost all of our cat that passed in January but DH reminded me that I'd uploaded to a new site just last week and BINGO thought -there's the video!! Nope - I did the barebones and no video clips were uploaded/stored. I know it doesn't change the course of my life and millions of people live without photos/videos their whole life and their priority is just clean water, food, shelter and safety ... so I can put this in perspective, but last night I struggled with it. Proud that, even though I went to the pantry to find something to assuage the feelings, I came away with just a cup of hot tea. Went to bed early to end that day.

Today's challenge will be the farmer's market/lunch at a place with plenty of stalls of lunch options ... Will walk there with a friend from work and she's asked to bring someone I don't know, so that's good - she's kind so I assume her friend will be as well. Walking there and back will take the hour, so we'll pick up something to go and quickly peruse the stalls.

Credits - walking part of the trail for the first time in ages ... packing grapes and a few cherries for part of my lunch ... bringing sneakers to walk an hour at lunch ... healthy smoothie for breakfast with a bit of PB2 in it for a bit of extra flavor/protein. Roasted carrots/onions for last night's dinner and DH took them with him for his dinner despite telling me he didn't care for those very much. I thought they'd be all mine to have with my big salad. I'd set some plain carrots for him. Hm. I guess he likes them more than he let on

Think I'm going to drive up north of town and start picking up some items for DH's father's birthday gift basket ... World Market/Fresh Market/Trader Joe's are my goals - we'll see which one/s I make it to. Hard to not just do all food. I'm struggling with ideas. They don't go anywhere, he doesn't read books/magazines, they're retired, no wine/unique beer, not interested in grilling ... I just am flummoxed on what to pick up OTHER than sweet and savory food basket items. Ideas??

Welcome, Wallenda!! Glad you've joined this group! Looking forward to hearing your successes and challenges and tips!

Aiming to post personals tonight - CurlyJax - You've really been in my thoughts here a lot. Hope you're doing well.

Last edited by nationalparker; 08-05-2015 at 10:55 AM.
Old 08-05-2015, 11:03 AM   #34  
Fighting Piano Butt!

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Good morning Coaches,

Well, I had a not so great week food wise and saw a gain. But I am back on track now and the scale is reflecting that. Feeling good that I am now running in 4 minute intervals with 1 minute walk breaks and that that feels doable - that seemed impossible 6 months ago. Yesterday a fellow (voice teacher) who hadn’t seen me since April immediately noticed my weight loss and gave me a thumbs up - that was nice.

We’ve had some REALLY hot weather recently but it’s cooling down, which is making running easier.

I feel a bit sheepish that I haven’t been posting or doing personals and I really do intend to get back to that.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:50 PM   #35  

Thank you BillBlueEyes and NationalParker for the welcome. I look forward to becoming part of the community.

First, CREDIT - I went to the gym this morning. Goal is 3x/week, and I've got 2 down. I've belonged to this gym for a long time, but my wallet has gotten more of a workout than I have. It's a Crossfit gym so there are fixed class times, and I found it very easy (in the past) to have schedule conflicts as an excuse. I travel for work quite a bit, mostly long day trips, but since I am home the entire month of August, I want to establish the habit of going consistently so that when travel does come up, I find it less easy to make those excuses.

CHALLENGE - I just read Day 7 (Arrange your environment). My family is pretty good about eating what I make for dinner and they are free to eat what they want outside of that time, but Paleo is a little different that getting rid of the junk food. If I follow this it would mean getting rid of almost everything else they eat -- cereal, milk, bread ... I can't think of a response card to make, so any suggestions are good. I think (hope) that reading my Advantages Response Card 2-3 times per day will help me not give in to those foods.

Challenge #2: I don't have any response cards beyond the ARC. Should I? I'm not terribly clear on what they should be and how they are used. Maybe this becomes clear with further reading (just finished week 1).

Thank you, BillBlueEyes!
I heard about the Beck Diet Solution from another (non-diet or food-related) forum that I'm part of. Several of the women there were having success with the book. And I found this forum via Google, though I've occasionally lurked on the site over the years.
Old 08-05-2015, 02:58 PM   #36  
Fighting Piano Butt!

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

wallenda, welcome!! Great to have you with us. I have quite a few response cards - once you get further into the book you will probably find yourself creating more. I have the ARC but also "NO CHOICE", "Get back on track", "It's not okay to eat unplanned food" and a few others. I also found a smartphone app that reminds me at random times during the day to give myself credit! The phone has made this program a lot easier for me
Old 08-05-2015, 07:48 PM   #37  
Green Tomatoes

I did it! Followed my plan through an all day meeting that was wonderful and emotional and I didn't eat over any of it. I even managed a bit of exercise when I got home!
Old 08-05-2015, 09:34 PM   #38  
Enjoying la bella vita

Echoing GardnerJoy - I, too, had a day on plan with smart choices on a hard day. Kudos, Joy!! You're definitely swinging back on the track solidly!

Bill - Your King Lear evening sounds wonderful! I LOVE picnic-type events with snazzier options than a 6" sub... I put too much thought into what I'll bring and DH thinks I'm a nut. Did you see Mr. Holmes? I ahven't but have heard good things. I have been putting a number of movies on my "winter to watch" list...

Wallenda - Agree with Eusebius ... I have a few response cards but I'm terrible about reading them when I need to, so I'm going to commit to getting that more set in place this month. Along with the "NO Choice" card that eliminates debate about having something or not, I also have "Oh Well" which Dr. Beck will cover, and a few that address challenges I face - one is "When did it become OK to eat at our desks?" (Seriously, WHEN?)

Ate a very large salad that was nearly all veggies tonight but no protein ... I have a couple hundred calories to play with and while it's getting late, I might just make a cup of chocolate milk. I am hungry now but not ravenous.

OneByOne - Have there been any good topics that WW has covered that you've found helpful? My cousin joined, went for a few weeks, then got busy and hasn't returned. I got into the funk of "if I think I've gained weight, I'll wait and go another day this week...so it's not marked in my booklet that I actually gained weight" - which was stupid since everyone there had the same issue - weight gain!

SuzLen - I've been asked to speak to a group of students (along with a coworker) in a class of 9th-12th graders, most have been on probation/issues with the law. Thought it was for about 20 minutes, found out that it's for about an hour. On use of math in sports. I'm used to second and third graders, not one class with ages going up to 19 I think. That's quite an age range. I asked the teacher this evening does she go home exhilarated or frustrated? she said she goes home and enjoys a glass of wine

Last edited by nationalparker; 08-05-2015 at 09:35 PM.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:55 AM   #39  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Good gym day, CREDIT moi. It was my third class of Treadmill Bootcamp. I'm trying to do a bit more each class. It does keep me going further than I would on my own. Additional exercise was walking to the subway for yet another FREE concert - Italian Opera at the hatch shell on the Boston Esplanade. Two concerts in a row is a first for us. We picked up sandwiches from Panera Bread on the way. Arrived an hour early to get unobstructed seats close to the hatch shell to find the orchestra, choral group, and the Honk bands rehearsing. It was like a second concert. Honk banks are just the greatest, but I can't imagine it's easy to conduct them. They're free-spirits one and all. During the rehearsal the conductor had to ask the Honk trumpets, playing the fanfare of Aida, to follow his baton instead of their "music instincts," LOL. After the concert, the Honk bands came forth and kept playing in their spirited way. DW and I walked away dancing to their lively When The Saints Go Marching In.

Meals were on plan, CREDIT moi, with snacks larger than I needed. Panera Bread did us in when we ordered a large sandwich to share. The prep team felt sorry for us headed out to hear Italian opera instead of a "real concert" so they put two bags of chips in our order - Ouch. The Wilderness Society handed out tiny bags of granola - like tastes - that now clutter my kitchen. When I become enlightened, I'll be able to refuse FREE handouts.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – It's pretty special to stay the path during an all-day meeting.

Erika (eusebius) – Congrats on that 4 minutes running with one minute walking; that's HUGE.

nationalparker – That early morning walk with bird song certainly appeals to me. Ouch for the loss of precious pictures from your phone. [I just watched the trailer for Mr. Holmes. Perhaps.]

SuzLen - LOL at snitched popcorn. The brain knows that it doesn't have calories if it doesn't come from your own bag.

wallenda - Kudos for working on regular time at the gym. Gyms do seem to thrive on memberships not used. Clearing out everything that's not on your food plan isn't possible when other folks in the house are eating it. Sometimes it's possible to declare certain shelf space to be off limits for yourself. Good luck working that one.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 42 Practice, Practice, Practice

reminders to think thin

If you think ... It's not fair that I can't eat normally and have what everyone else is eating.

Remind yourself ... I'm now eating normally for a person who has a goal to lose weight. It would be even more unfair if I let feelings of unfairness keep me from becoming thinner.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 267.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:18 AM   #40  

Good morning,

CREDIT for first round of PD without any snacks, chips, chocolates, etc. Yeah!! I was sorely tempted (especially as the day droned on, and on, and on), but everyone at my table knows I am "off sugar" so they were my watchmen. I would of felt like a failure eating a twix in front of them, lol.

All meals on plan except last night's dinner carried on a little longer than it should have...I was home alone after an exhausting day and I just kept eating. But, at least it was plan approved food CREDIT.

Did the first day of my new lean workout - CREDIT

BillBB: too much culture in two full nights. But it is lovely that the weather was good enough for outdoor performances.

nationalparker: Haha! Some days are like that. I come home and plop on the bed somedays. It is the hardest time of the day for me, food wise!! And I am so sorry about the loss of your digital memories. I grieve with you.

eusebius:
You hard work is being noticed - yeah!!!

As I look at the clock, my check-in times here may be changing once school starts in earnest. I like to go in early so (hopefully) I don't have to work late.

My goal for the day is 100% on plan, no snacks, and cardio tonight. The scale isn't moving down through my sheer mental willpower, no matter how much I squint when I get on the them. So, I must remain diligent. The constant planning and vigilance is mentally exhausting.

It's finally Thursday - over the hump.

Good day, all!!
Old 08-06-2015, 08:36 AM   #41  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default Official Weigh-in Day

Coaches

I have high hopes for my WW weigh-in today. With not being able to weigh on the wii fit I have no idea what # to expect. I am wearing capris with minimal waistband elastic that didn't fit in spite of that a few months ago. I would say they now fit. Other reasons I think I'll see a loss include the continued bouts of walking. I took the bus to the residency gallery yesterday (with my heavy backpack) and the day before. I remembered I wasn't as heavy when I was a bus person. I am considering becoming one again except it means I can't fit more than 1 or 2 activities in a day. Busing it is just like that. *credit for finally using the local bus, for being flexible, for walking more.

My residency stint is spreading through word of mouth. The last 2 days people have dropped in to see my work, especially my prints. Those who came for that are starving to see printmaking exhibited. They love them. They want to make them. They have no access to presses or feel confident to do them by hand. So seeing my work is exciting to them, like giving them permission. And somehow it looks as though I will have private student. Good grief. Someone working on heir university degree in fine art from a university with a requirement for printmaking and she moved here and was looking for a printmaker to help guide her. She's been looking for 6 years. She said she'll pay me for my time and I don't know what amt of $ that is. I consistently undervalue whatever I produce. I will consult with others when this comes to be, if indeed it does.

Today is the last day. It is coupled with the free Mill Pond Concert series at the Mill Pond across the street. They are playing/performing Dream Girls the poster said. I was told not to expect to work past about 5pm. There is an announcement made in the park that the gallery is open and it gets flooded with people. I am there from 1-10 so I'd better take a snacks as well as my supper. I was going to offer a bowl of somethings for guests but I'm not going to. I will eat them out of nervousness. I'll be glad to take my work home tonight and in the morning. I'm back there at the end of the month.

nationalparker The WW group I go to is an anomaly in my WW experience. We have an enlightened chatty group who are keen to share their struggles and remind me of this Beck forum. The leader, Brenda, is much more interested in the fat between our ears and developing strategies to eat well and on plan. The summer topics have been about mental/emotional health: gratitude, doing things to make yourself happy etc., getting back on track (lots of weight gains this summer it seems). Honestly WW has never been inspiring to me, but their foodplan is open-ended and actually does provide a workable day to day format to follow and lose weight but the group I have found is very special. But WW without the Becksters here wouldn't be half as effective. I am fortunate to have both.

BillBlueEyes So glad you wrote about the Honk band! I went to your link and that's what stood out. First time hearing about them.Wish I could see them in action I would love it. Amazing how the Subway folks offered chips as condolences for your yet-to-be experienced experience!

SuzLen Credits, yes, for resisting the snacks at work. I relate. On my way to the gallery I passed the ice cream truck (he drives right past the gallery all day long) and had to say to myself resistresistresist, just like that, over and over. I did resist. And so happy I did today. I can tell you are too.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:21 AM   #42  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Work today and then off to SF to see the musical Mathilde. I feel the whirlwind begin when I don't post, pray, or plan. Not good. Weight is 2 pounds above ticker. Not great but Oh Well. 16 hours off pain meds and I hope that continues. The PT says another three sessions should do it. i felt like she was dumping me I realize she has become a real lifeline of hope for me over these last weeks. I had a Dr. appt to discuss my knee which is now keeping me awake. PT says it is swollen and might need cortisone or operation. I am staying out of the blues on this. It is what it is.

Food is planned. Cards are read.

Welcome, Wallenda.

nationalparker: My heart went out to you over the videos and pictures. Those are precious little lifelines to your past and it is very hard to lose them.

Suzlen: Super congrats on no snacks during PD. that is monumental.
Old 08-06-2015, 02:57 PM   #43  
Enjoying la bella vita

Hello, all! Day 4 on track! I've already locked into my brain that Friday and Saturday will be higher food days and I need to be okay with that and not view it as failure and get off track. I'm going lighter today and will do so on Sunday. In fact, yesterday was fairly light as well. Lunch and dinner out tomorrow but the saving grace is the menu for the dinner theatre tomorrow night doesn't really appeal to me for once (sour cream potatoes - typically I eat too many potatoes and this nixes them entirely for me - bleh). Telling myself I cannot add bread even if my plate has ample room. Saturday is DH's father's birthday celebration (which sounds grand but it's just me cooking them dinner and dessert...) Picked up a few things at World Market for his gift basket last night but thought Trader Joe's had much more that he'd like, so will head there tonight. You'd think with ME in control of the meal, that I'd do something that I can super easily fit into the plan but I'm thinking plan something yummy and send them home with the leftovers

Credits - dentist this morning (which I hate - they continue to repair/replace old work - $$$) ... Did NOT eat my after dentist comfort food meal of mashed potatoes. Don't ask. But didn't make it despite thinking about it. Thought of Joy's "not what I can get away with but how can I improve" ... and made a healthier meal. ... Brought fruit for late lunch and then will have a big salad with grilled chicken for dinner before errands. Activity will be heavier cleaning tonight when back home (steam cleaning carpets is my goal - we'll see).

Goal for Saturday is to be back at ticker. Doubtful but was 170.4 this morning. So close, at least.
Old 08-06-2015, 04:01 PM   #44  
Green Tomatoes

Busy day so far today, so checking in late.

I ate lightly yesterday, as I intended, and got a reward on the scale. That really works well for me. I want to remember so I'm writing a new response card:

Quote:
On special event days, including travel days, I enjoy eating very lightly. Special events provide a great distraction from food, so they are a terrific opportunity to get ahead on my weight loss.
WI: -0.6 kg, Exercise: +30 205/1300 minutes for August, Food: 100% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 08-06-2015, 04:08 PM   #45  

Height: 5' 2"

Welcome, Wallenda!!

National Parker How well you are doing to string together several days on track. I sympathize with your loss of the video you wanted. I had kept a message on the phone for a year of someone I really cared about who moved away and DIDN'T give me a forwarding address.

Bill You all get to do such delightful things that we can't get by living so far from a metropolitan area. Once we would make the longer drive and go but don't see as well after dark so that is not likely to happen now.

Mary Ann You are sounding as if you are back in the land of the living, and getting to see musical Mathilde sounds so good.

OneByOne Your printmaking would indeed be something I'd love to see. No wonder others come by with the opportunity. Hope you are able to price your artistic work at a price fair to you and that others will recognize the value you offer.

Yesterday, CREDIT hour at gym and great workout, followed by much needed and appreciated hour of massage. She worked on my bad knee and it is doing great today. CREDIT for recognizing I really went above my limit on calories, but with 2 days being below, I simply recorded and am back to being reasonable today. No more bashing myself.
Closed Thread