Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 07:09 PM   #181  

Hello Coaches,

gardenerjoy: Good for you - two days in a row!!!

love2garden: I admire your youngest daughters work. My youngest has Down syndrome and I am always so appreciative of those who feel the calling to work with people with disabilities. I know you are proud of her.

curlyjax: ditto on the pits of adulthood and having to deal with things like broken appliances. sigh.....

BillBB: more fresh blueberries???!!! I'm green with envy. Your quotes the last week could of come out of my diary of thinking. How depressing is that

nationalparker: I can't remember the last time I had bruschetta, but you made my mouth water.

My diet was good until that critical time of day. BUT, I handled it better than I have since school started...CREDIT. Still room for improvement, but it is better. I will get better! Calorie wise, I am on target. Thanks to a reasonable breakfast and lunch, my mindless eating this afternoon didn't put me over. My alarms worked great, except I wasn't home went they went off like I usually am, so I didn't actually have an alarm reminder when I started preparing dinner. LOL

Going to exercise now - CREDIT. Hopefully the scales will be kind to me tomorrow!

Have a great evening.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:10 PM   #182  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Default Good Evening, Coaches.

I'm checking In by phone. Like nationalparker, I have two days 100%. Hungry and on the road but the hunger is craving junk food that my body is hooked on.

Advantage card of the day " I will easily end a meal."

I just have to drive home and go to bed. I remember this empty feeling from when I was losing weight. Good. I'm glad it is back,

Last edited by maryann; 08-25-2015 at 09:12 PM.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:36 PM   #183  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Accidentally deleted some of this - solidly surpassed my 10K step goal today. Went to see Mr. Holmes - good! Rare midweek cinema outing. Food was good today... upped my ticker to what scale with new battery and mad owner is reading. Did measurements a few weeks ago and will check again after a few weeks... that is what I'm seeing and filling out my clothes with, so hopefully some progress there. Hurts to be back up so much after actually being about 14 pounds less last summer, if only briefly. That was the past, though, and this is now. Forge on.

SuzLen - Credits for the improvement at the tough times! YAY. Do you think you'd like a cup of hot tea while you prep dinner? I have to resort to that to signal end of eating for me some days ... but I guess it would signal what you want it to.

Joy - Great job on another day on track 100% - good luck with the dinner and sounds like you have a good plan and have contingencies in place! Are the weekdays more of a challenge than weekends or no difference?

Bill - I continue to admire your commitment to the gym! I'm hoping we can arrange our home environment better with the bike come fall so it gets maximum use. I want it in the living room. DH does NOT. Consequently, we won't ride it as much as we would if we each rode it for half of a movie. I'm continuing my crusade. We keep it out until company comes ahhh your blueberries continue their treat for you.

Cutting semi-short to hit the sack...

Last edited by nationalparker; 08-25-2015 at 11:43 PM.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:02 AM   #184  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Wednesday - Women's Equality Day (Thanks Bella Abzug, 1971)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walk, CREDIT moi, included Trader Joe's where I picked up the usual nuts and raisins. Also stopped by a sporting goods store with a big sale on backpacks ($40 reduced to $20). Too bad, the low cost backpacks don't have the rugged features that I like. My current back pack was purchased for our trip to Africa some 20 years ago. I love it, but it's a tad ragged, a tad dirty, and the tears and rips reduce functionality. It's also kept me company in T_ibet, and down the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon. It's an old friend, but it deserves retirement. DW suggests that I go to a grown-up store like EMS or REI and pay the cost of a backpack that'll last another 20 years.

By a convoluted effort, I replaced a dilapidated folding table with . . . a used one being discarded by an organization that bought neat, clean, plastic, light ones. Naturally, I didn't just go buy a new desirable folding table - they're not expensive. <sigh> . . . when I become centered I'll learn to spend small amounts of money on life's essentials - even though that requires shopping.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – I'm really not fond of activities that drive me to an early supper. It makes the rest of the evening a time to feel 'hungry.'

maryann - Thanks for, "I will easily end a meal."

nationalparker – Inspiring attitude, "That was the past, though, and this is now. Forge on."

curlyjax - Neat that your DH can now be supportive of your Beck Cognitive Behavior Therapy strategies. I've never heard of a stove that turns itself off.

Sandy (love2garden) - Yay for quite time in the shade watching nature. Congrats for raising such a neat DD.

SuzLen - Kudos for improving your eating at the critical time of the day.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 1 Are You Trapped?

How These Things Usually Go
If you've tried to lose weight before, chances are your experience went something like this: . . .

Oh, well, this is a special occasion. You can start again tomorrow.

But tomorrow you give yourself one more day of eating whatever you feel like. And maybe another day after that, and another day after that....

No wonder you fell off the wagon. You never really learned how to handle this type of situation. No one ever taught you how to prepare yourself for tempting situations, how to keep your eye on your long-term goal, or how to stick to your plan even when you don't feel like it. It isn't your fault. You just didn't know how.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 7
Old 08-26-2015, 10:17 AM   #185  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Food continues pretty well (not perfect) and scale jumps around within my acceptable range. For me, weighing every day is not a death sentence but is a really excellent way to just keep track of my day to day choices. I have been so busy. Work continues at Summer pace and I am left with many chores when days off arrive. I'm keeping up in my yard and house and take time to watch hummingbirds and smell roses. I set up a favorite puzzle in my dining room for distraction when I know I need to slow down despite items on the list still undone.
Today my day off includes my mom's monthly trip to her eye dr. I have priorities, as well. I got up early and crossed many items off my to-do list which resides in my head. It included many healthy things such as making a new batch of my protein mix for my daily smoothie, organizing the refrigerator and finding my stash of carrots, washing them and cleaning and organizing my kitchen. It's a long day and I will take pups so I have packed healthy snack-pbj sammie, banana and bottle of water. Credit. I plan to enrich my life while mom is at her appt by stopping by the nearby garden center and engaging in conversation about a small and efficient watering system for my small greenhouse. Credit.

BBE, I think REI is excellent idea for a new backpack. Perhaps picking one out and waiting for the 20% member discount that happens several times a year….DH got his nice Grand Canyon backpack that way. You reminded me our nice cardtable got hauled down to Denver for kids BD party a year ago and with the dissolution of that family unit has been sitting outside under a tree...oh well. Guess I should look for a new/used one.

nationalparker, kudos for your persistence as you continue to walk your path. I, too, relate, "That was the past, though, and this is now." Forge on with your now.

maryann, credit for 2 days 100%!

SuzLen, so great to see such improvement in your choices over the past week! Yes, you will get better!

gardenerjoy, hope your supper went well and kudos for thinking through the "afterwards".

love2garden, envisioned you and DH in the garden with coffee just enjoying the color and birds and insects!

curlyjax, ouch on the oven dilemma. I hope it is fixed by now. I had a "brain" issue with mine. I flipped the breaker and it resolved. Glad you and DH talked about CBT!

karenrn, thanks for checking in with us! I hope you don't get smoked out….we are getting visible (and sometimes smellable) smoke here daily and NOAH said to anticipate it continuing for 4/6 weeks.

onebyone,I am continuing to hold you in my thoughts as you deal with so much with your MIL. I encourage you to keep making yourself a priority during this time….every small step forward helps!

OK, time to load the pups and hit the road. Take care all!
Old 08-26-2015, 10:33 AM   #186  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up mid week last Wednesday ever of an August in the year 2015

Coaches

What Beck said:

Quote:
No wonder you fell off the wagon. You never really learned how to handle this type of situation. No one ever taught you how to prepare yourself for tempting situations, how to keep your eye on your long-term goal, or how to stick to your plan even when you don't feel like it. It isn't your fault. You just didn't know how.
I think I've tripped over all these examples this past week. What I did do right *credit* is not give up and to get back on plan. I do have trouble keeping an eye on my long term goal when I am in a tempting situation. I do find it hard to stick to my plan. Basically, when all three of these factors she mentions come together I don't know how to do it if I am also mentally or physically tired or if I am controlling some kind of emotion that it would be more trouble than it's worth to let out then and there. This description btw kind of sums up the past 2 or 3 days. Another day like this coming up today but not as bad and since I *credit* weighed this morning (270.9lbs) I am once more heartened not to see 275lbs as I knew I would be. 270.9 my new lower stuck number. Looking to get unstuck in the next few days.

Maryann I loved reading this:
Quote:
I remember this empty feeling from when I was losing weight. Good. I'm glad it is back
I want that back too. And I wanted to say I am glad your physical pain has subsided. You seem to have met your goal of not having pain when you went back to work. *big credit for this*

No appointments for others on the immediate horizon, just my own stuff. And I am off to do that stuff now. Have a happy and productive day today.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:33 AM   #187  

S/C/G: 155/152/125

Height: 5'4"

Finally lost some weight. By literally starving myself. <1000 calories plus daily exercise. This is BS and I'm this close to giving up. Starving, white knuckling cravings, exercising like a whirling dervish just to stay chubby is not a f-----g life. If I'm going to be fat no matter what I do, why struggle so much?
Old 08-26-2015, 07:07 PM   #188  
Enjoying la bella vita

Took the day off work and was at the dentist in the morning - one of my least favorite places to be. $$$ later, and having maxed out my insurance on dental work this year, I'm worrying about the add'l bill that is sure to come with what's not covered.

DH and I went out for an early dinner that combined lunch/dinner and made good choices. I got an ind pizza margherita which only has a few pieces of cheese here and there on a thin crust with roma tomatoes and ate less than half, along with my salad. DID eat bread, though, and enjoyed it.

Am back in the cycle of DH saying sure to walking but then not really wanting to and me putting off walking to make sure I include him, and then missing out myself. Not tonight ... it was put off and then I just said well, I'll head out with the dog- are you sitting this one out? Yep. Walked the trail and got in my 12.7K steps and happy to see myself sticking with it (so far). Credit. Even if it doesn't help with weight loss, it should help with stress relief, heart health, stave off (hopefully) breast cancer and all the rest they say comes with moderate activity. I'm frustrated both with myself for wanting to have him come with me, and with him for not going. It's me, not him, that I need to be in charge of.

Feel like I'm trying to stave off a cold. DH is in bed early as he's up at 4a, and I will not stay up late tonight. But a little alone time will be nice.

Bill - I wish you lived closer. I have my parents' GREAT card table - a Samsonite one from ages ago that is super comfortable. It was one of my "picks" as we split up their goods. Irony is - I have no room for it. No storage ample for it without displacing other things. But I want it to go to a good home Cushy chairs, nothing like nowadays.

Lexxiss -You have me thinking what can I do tonight to prepare for an on plan tomorrow bc we're out of lactaid for my smoothie for the morning and I do not want to drive out to get it now. I don't want to hang by the stove to cook the steel cut oats. Need to put a bit of thought into it and then follow through. Dinner will be fajitas as I have great peppers and a huge onion and fresh chicken, so I'm set there with a healthy idea.

OneByOne - I admire your introspection on so many topics. Thank you for sharing. You make me think a bit deeper.

Karen - Good luck with the air clearing before your hike. I would be nervous heading into it with all the smoke/fires. Be careful and be safe!

Last edited by nationalparker; 08-26-2015 at 08:37 PM.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:08 PM   #189  

Quick Check In:

Home late because of a Boy Scout Court of Honor. CREDIT for *almost* a perfect day. Good breakfast and lunch, and only a tiny bit off plan for dinner. More control - more mindfulness. Thanks, nationalparker, for the tea idea. I'm trying it tomorrow.

My weight was kind - no changes over the last two weeks. I can live with that for now. I want to lose more, but I know this is a long term change so I need to be patient enough to work through the weak areas and find solutions.

I'm off to exercise before it gets much later.

More tomorrow,
Old 08-27-2015, 06:25 AM   #190  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Thursday - Krakatau explodes (1883)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Did gym, CREDIT moi, continuing the week without my Treadmill Bootcamp class. I don't do as much cardio on my own but I do a heavier dumbbell routine. As always, I'm catching up to where I was previously.

Meals were on plan, CREDIT moi, snacks were a problem. I've got a list of things to do and continue with the thought that nibbling helps reduce the list - a combined Sabotaging Thought and Invalid Logic. Entertainment was attending a lecture at a bookstore, Beyond Goodnight Moon, about the many new books for infants and toddlers. In response to a question about infants gumming books, I learned that board books for infants "are less harmful to consume than Wonder bread." Apparently the industry has strict standards for their construction. Who'da thunk?

onebyone – Yep, when the factors add up it becomes the greater challenge. Kudos for recognizing that so that you are "Looking to get unstuck in the next few days"

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Neat idea to have a puzzle for distraction to avoid the nibbles. [Cringing at that card table under the tree.]

nationalparker – Ouch for the dental visit - both the discomfort and the $$$'s. Kudos for that measured lunch/dinner. [I know those Samsonite tables - they are workhorses.]

Violette_R - Congrats on losing some weight - may it be gone forever. Kudos for acknowledging the struggle and charging forth.

SuzLen - Kudos for the recognition that it's a long term process.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 1 Are You Trapped?

The Traps Are Set and Waiting

Even if dieting starts out easy, the moment inevitably comes when it shifts into hard work. Your willpower, which seemed strong at the beginning, eventually starts to flag. The chocolate fudge ice cream tucked way back in the freezer begins loudly calling your name. The doughnuts at work make your mouth water. You feel resentful of everything your friends and family are eating. You are annoyed by how unfair it is that your coworkers eat pepperoni pizza or smothered burritos for lunch and you can't. (Or at least not in the quantity they do.)

Everyone faces these traps - situations in which you are tempted to eat or drink in a way that you'll later regret. The circumstances that blind you for those seconds between "I really shouldn't eat that" and "Darn it, I really shouldn't have eaten that." Your own vulnerabilities. Your dieting Achilles's heels.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 7
Old 08-27-2015, 08:02 AM   #191  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

hi Coaches!
Quick check in - the oven fixed itself for the time being, yay, although it has been picky about turning on and staying on before, so i'm crossing my fingers!

Next house issue- I went downstairs during DDs shower at night and heard dripping. it seems to be coming from a pipe which hopefully isn't so bad, but its also coming from a wooden area of the bathroom floor/basement ceiling, which IS bad. Not sure if we just need to recaulk a bit or what.
We have a small house and I feel like we get too many problems for the size of it!!

Foodwise I resisted cravings for a late snack one day but not the next. Actually if i had resisted the snack last night I wouldn't have discovered the dripping so I don't feel so bad about it
I think I have kept up some good patterns of resisting snacks in the am and eating salads for at least 4 lunches a week, which all keeps me on track.
Onwards!
Bill- you make living in a city sound so great!
Old 08-27-2015, 10:24 AM   #192  
Green Tomatoes

Yesterday never gelled into a plan for either my activities or my food and that never goes well for me. CREDIT for putting together a plan for today before hitting the Post button here.

nationalparker: I have a similar dynamic with walking and my DH. I've taken to listening to podcasts on my phone when I walk alone, so that I enjoy that, too, and can get myself to go even if DH stays home.

BillBlueEyes: did you learn any good titles from the Beyond Goodnight Moon lecture? I have to buy something for a baby shower next month. I suppose it will surprise no one here to learn that I'm known as the aunt who always buys books as presents.
Old 08-27-2015, 01:38 PM   #193  
Enjoying la bella vita

Earlier checkin than usual but going to try to get a lot done when I finally get home this evening after a few errands. Walked with a friend at lunch to where food trucks gather here on Thursdays and ended up with what I thought was going to be a bit of a splurge - vegan taco nachos. But the plate was a small rectangle that fit in my hand and I left many of the broken blue tortilla chips. Had they been whole and easier to stuff in my mouth, might have not tossed them. It was merely "ok" ... but good to get out and walk on a warm day! Have dinner in mind and want to bake some biscotti for my brother's gift box to be shipped to him soon.

DH said he had a dream that I told him, after he told me not to worry about the scale so much, that he's either with me or against me and then I had divorce papers delivered to him! I said that must've come from him not walking last night, even though he finally got a good night's sleep before getting up at 4 a.m. for work, but nothing to worry about - we each need to make choices to support our own healthier bodies. His whole shift at work - 12 hours - is on his feet. Mine is on my butt.

Joy - I think you gave me the impetus to just go walking alone (well, with pooch) if I was getting sidelined a while back, so I thank you for that. I listened to some NPR podcasts and downloaded an audiobook player and need to figure out how to work that. I'm technically behind everyone, all the time.

Bill - Echoing Joy - I would love some insider info on the baby/toddler books. I buy a lot of books for the next gen of kids in our family and would love new, quality suggestions. Some have come from NPR's best books, but always up for something different. LOVED the line that the board book was less harmful than Wonder Bread. I'm very picky on illustrations and text, which is a bit weird.

CurlyJax - GOOD luck with that water leak - not a fun discovery! Great job on resisting snacks and lunching on salad. I need to get some autumn salad ideas going.

I have a huge stack (since I'm a paper person) of tearsheets and copies of recipes from magazines - and they have to have the photo of the dish so I can picture it - and I want to take time this weekend to go through them all, discard ones I think I'll never make, and separate them into seasonal stacks, bringing some out for the next few months. I'm looking forward to that and will do before the main marketing, so I can start out with what I need for a few new meals.

Goal is to be down at least one pound by Monday. I am thinking I need to do a five-pound ticker since this one is never edging closer at ALL.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:41 PM   #194  

Height: 5' 2"

NationalParker You wrote
Quote:
I'm frustrated both with myself for wanting to have him come with me, and with him for not going. It's me, not him, that I need to be in charge of.
This is exactly how this issue is played out in our home. I agree that I also need to take care of my needs and not let myself be sidelined by trying for "togetherness" that is not agreed upon. Our cooler weather is perfect for walking but several days of needing to be out the door very early stopped the morning walks that are my favorites.

Mosquitoes seem to really enjoy biting me at night and I react too strongly. Tomorrow is a new day and I get to be home all day. Great choice to hit the road to walk early.

Yesterday I was "rear-ended when stopped for a red light. Fortunately my strong bumper absorbed the impact without destroying break lights, etc and the car is fine to drive for now. Today when caught in traffic for over 35 minutes as road repairs made the interstate an unpleasant place for one who is also claustophobic as well as jumpy from yesterday, still trying to relax. Perhaps that evening walk will be a wise move to help me relax.

CurleyJaxOven working, yeah!, water dripping, so sorry.

Karen Prayers continue from eastern USA that the horrible fires in the west will receive good drenching with calm rain for a good period of time.

My gym membership runs out Monday, and September is far too busy and time away to want to renew yet. I'll go Saturday for a good workout then go back to the PT moves I know, gardening and walking.

Scale is just edging down a few ounces at a time, but I may have to celebrate only 2 pound loss on Monday, but better down than up.

Sandy
Old 08-27-2015, 07:38 PM   #195  

Hello Coaches,

Note to self: Never give the skinny 19 yo son the credit card so he can pick up milk at the store for you. I now have: two huge economy bags of sweetened cereal, ice cream, pizza bites, and chocolate sauce in my cupboards/freezer.

AGGGHHHHHH.

love2garden
: congrats on the weight lost, even if it only seems minimal. Small successes are better than no successes.

nationalparker
: I used to collect recipes, then I got older, and lazier, and hate to make messes in my kitchen. Ha! Now I send them to my daughter because she still loves to cook and she sends me back the reports of those that are worth it!

gardenerjoy: I am also the aunt who gives books - I can't help it!

curlyjax: when it rains......my DH is not a handyman, so anything at all usually ends up costing a fortune. Best of luck to you!

BillBB: wish I could of been there for your lecture. So many books and so little time....

Weight was up this morning after giving me a reprieve for a while. Worked out hard last night and am extremely sore today, but plan on lifting after posting. I am trying to envision myself as a thin person. Good thing I have a good imagination.

Thanks BillBB, again, for the quotes from the Blue Book. I need them.

Have a good night, all
Closed Thread