Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 10:11 PM   #46  

Hello Coaches,

Sorry to post twice, but I am leaving super early in the morning for a meeting out of town.

I was super tired today and my resistance was low. New PD, new colleagues, and after a lunch on plan I ate (well, ate is a generous word - it was more like inhaled) three bite size chocolates. CREDIT for only being three - and doing it after lunch. No excuses, I just didn't try hard enough - tried to make up for it by only having a protein drink for dinner and extra exercise.

There is progress however, because last year I could of eaten the whole bowl without even thinking twice about it. I can feel good about the three days I succeeded gloriously and move on from today.

maryann: your whirlwind will continue, won't it?! Hope your pain is bearable when work begins.

nationalparker: congrats on day 4 of success!!

onebyone: what a busy and stressful week - I'm glad it has been good for you. Don't sell yourself short!! You should be paid well for your talent! Had to laugh at the "fat between the ears" - crack me up.

Hope everyone has a good Friday.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:40 PM   #47  

Checking in, had to take a quick, unplanned trip out of town, which has my planned routine Ina tailspin. I'm trying to make the best of it.

Made a Response Card for the Gym:
Go to the gym!
Going to the gym will allow me to trade less than 60 minutes of discomfort for a full day of feeling great.
I will become stronger and more mobile.
It really is kind of fun, once I get past the mental block.
Think of it as playing, like a child.
Nobody cares about my time or score.
Just showing up is a victory.

Of course I didn't go to the gym because of travel today. Hopefully tomorrow.

Credit - packed my lunch to take on the very long train ride. Ate it, and nothing else.
Credit - ate at a restaurant on plan. Thankfully my dinner companion refused the bread so we didn't have it at the table. This was earlier in my "journey" than I planned to tackle the restaurant beast. It was easier because I was given the choice of where to go. I thin I need a Restaurant Response Card.
Old 08-07-2015, 06:39 AM   #48  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Friday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Meals were on plan, CREDIT moi, with snack larger than I wanted. I'm annoyed that I've fallen into my snack thing again. We're awash with blueberries since the supermarket had them for $0.99 per pint. I'm in heaven. Finally got around to installing my new Amazon Fire TV Stick, dreading the process. It was unbelievably easy, just as advertised. It immediately recognized me by name and offered lists of movies to watch that are free with my Prime account. DW and I chose An Unfinished Life because of Morgan Freeman. Be warned! It's Hallmark sweet and Hallmark predictable despite good performances by Freeman and Robert Redford and stunning Wyoming scenery. It served our purpose that our TV was occupied during the interval of the debate in New Hampshire, LOL. I need to learn how to type in a movie name rather than select from their list of suggestions. (The HD presentation was flawless.)

Had to stop at Costco where I accepted FREE samples of chicken sausages. I bought the special offered so that we now have 15 chicken sausages in the fridge. Most will be frozen. I assume that chicken sausages are better nutrition than the pork version that I love. Walk, CREDIT moi, stopped at no places related to food.

onebyone – Perhaps your self-assigned new student will lead you to your next career as a teacher. My guess is that you're a natural in that role. [Come on down for the three day HONK! festival in the spring; it's a riot.]

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Neat twist to make special events an opportunity.

maryann - Good luck with that knee - an essential part.

nationalparker – Hope you can limit your Trader Joe's purchases to stuff for your FIL. It'd be tempting to make a basket for yourself, LOL. Ouch for the dental stuff. I went through that period where every filing was replaced with modern stuff. The good news is that the new stuff lasted.

Sandy (love2garden) - Kudos for that hour of gym with additional Kudos for taking care of yourself with a massage.

SuzLen - I join the round of Kudos for a full day of Personal Development meeting without falling into the chocolates. And your deserve Kudos for limiting your second day to three chocolates instead of a bowl.

wallenda - Love this thought, "...60 minutes of discomfort for a full day of feeling great." Kudos for no bread at the table - that always a hard one for me.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 42 Practice, Practice, Practice

reminders to think thin

If you think ... Now that I've lost weight, I can stop being so careful.

Remind yourself ... If I want to keep the weight off, I need to use the techniques I've learned for the rest of my life. If I don't continue to maintain my new mindset and eating behaviors, I'll invariably gain back weight.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 267.
Old 08-07-2015, 07:32 AM   #49  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

hi coaches!
sorry i've been absent a few days, and I didn't even read our forum for 2 days which is very unusual for me, so I missed your kind mention Nationalparker! thanks for thinking of me, i just read that this morning and was so happy to see it. i'm so sorry about your video clip and photos. It makes me realize i should document more family and friends that way, but if course i always forget in the moment.
Did you find a gift for father in law? I've sometimes done plants/flowers, DVD, or clothing-its always a challenge, and that age/generation is often trying to get rid of stuff. I think the food basket is great!

I had a nice meeting with my supervisor and feel appreciated for the moment. I'm lucky in that i'm able to work part time currently and hope to do so for the next 4-5 years until the kids are in college, but it definitely limits the types of jobs available.
We've all been slipping up food wise-eating: eating too late, too much ice cream, the kids are slacking on veggies, and i'm slipping into a "don't care" mentality that is very dangerous! I'm telling myself and them, that this is temporary summer eating and don't get too used to it! It is nice to have a change of routine anyhow, and its nice to occasionally say yes to them instead of being the nutrition cop. I just need to say no to myself!

Waving to all! Getting back on track!!
Old 08-07-2015, 09:15 AM   #50  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Okay - starting Day 5 for me and am PROUD that I got out with our dog and did a quick walk this morning. She was elated and I rushed around to put smoothie stuff in the freezer to chill up so it'd be ready to blend when I was ready to leave, then DH got home from work as we were getting home, so good to see him for five minutes before showering, etc. His folks are coming tomorrow at 2...they arrive an hour earlier, even though we're not eating at 2. I know this and accept it, so I say they're coming at 12:30 in my mind, so I'm ready Ready with his gift, but DH needs to find a basket to use in our attic. They returned a lot that we've given them the past few years so we can reuse them. Gift card to Dick's Sporting Goods, Frog Togg towel for golfing/outside work and nice food basket with some treats in there. My only purchases for us, Bill, were chicken sausages that have no pork casing - have you tried TJoe's? I think I got garlic/onion this time... ?? Last was jalapeno and cheddar and time before was sweet Italian. Giving them a whirl. Side note - good to know that the new dental material will last. I'd heard that it wouldn't, so immediately thought, they're trying to get repeat business! Mean-spirited thought, I know, but I struggle with all this over a few months this summer.

Dinner theatre tonight and lunch with a friend this noon. I'm READY. Donut Friday is here. I thought, since I'd just had donuts on vacation, that I wouldn't be tempted at ALL. Reality check. Fresh donuts smell wonderful and everyone was oohing and aahhing over today's selection brought in by a coworker. None will pass my lips. Not even a half, which clearly has few calories since they leak out the ends.

Want to do more than am able to do with the time I have before company tomorrow, so need to just figure out the NEEDS and tackle those. Marketing, vacuuming, kitchen, baking, cooking. Shampooing the carpet at midnight after dinner theatre is now nixed off my list.

Today - I feel like I have all my tools at the ready to make good decisions. Makes me wonder WHY just a few small changes make all the difference in my outlook and execution. Still above ticker but by one pound.

Good to see you back, CurlyJax! Sending good vibes your way for the weekend. How is your DH doing? Hanging in there with a good outlook?

OneByOne - What a wonderful gift to be sought after as a mentor and I'll echo Bill, this might lead you to teaching - my thoughts exactly. Sounds like you'd be encouraging, playful and competent - one I'd love to learn from.

Wallenda - No one else probably remembers this but YEARS ago the Family Circus cartoon had invisible "gremlin" characters "Ida Know" and "Not Me" who were supposedly responsible for everything that broke, was taken, etc., in the family - as in "Who ate all the cookies for the guests?" Ida know says one kid, Not me says the other. ANYWAY, long story longer ... your Ina Tailspin hit me like THAT'S right on the mark - I need to not be Ina Tailspin when I feel like life is just whirling around me. Thank you for that visual! I picture a woman with everything she has to do just circling her like a whirlwind... and I'll use that visual to pause and prioritize.

OK - Great day and HELLOS to all. Gotta get movin' here.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:19 AM   #51  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Welcome Wallenda!

I am still here....not enough hours in my day but I always make time to read and have multitudes of gratitudes for each of your posts. Thanks.

I am continuing to walk a very busy path as I have been put in the position of taking on pretty much everything myself these days. It's just no choice right now. I have made many positive changes in my life which really do help me stay on track with my healthy food choices, especially changing my environment, and I have found time to keep up with my home and my yard while taking on everything else, too, especially my sick pup. I managed to sell a piece of property for my moms business this past week, too! I am happy as the company will stay afloat, with some financial security, through this coming Winter. Credit.
This morning I had paperwork and had to make some very difficult financial decisions. I did it. It's done. Credit. Now I will spend several hours in the yard before I head to Denver to a regular CodependentsAnon. meeting, which I've been attending regularly since April. It's helping me immensely, since my Mom, Sis and DH have still not spoken since the end of March. It is hard on me but I can't change/fix it because I did not create it. My Friday meeting helps me to remember the only one I can change is me.
I continue to walk my Beck path and love that I have long term focus. I can hope that things will get easier/less complicated but if they don't I need to stay my course. It sure won't be easier if I choose to regain my weight, but fortunately I feel very stable. Credit.

I think of you all often and hope to get back with personals later. Right now, to stay on schedule, I must move forward. We are in the height of tourist season right now and so travel to my Friday meeting is quite time consuming. Weekend traffic is already backing up into the mtns. at 1pm when I return and just gets worse so any stops I make need to be before.....and I need to work around the pups being home as I have to kennel my sick puppy. It does all work out, however, as long as I plan plan plan, which Beck has taught me quite well through continual practice.Yay!

Last edited by Lexxiss; 08-07-2015 at 09:20 AM.
Old 08-07-2015, 12:01 PM   #52  
Green Tomatoes

I never made a food plan yesterday and probably would have eaten a bit better if I had. I've got one for today! CREDIT for consuming nothing but water at a meeting last night that provided wine & cheese.

WI: -0.35 kg, Exercise: +40 205/1300 minutes for August, Food: NA op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 08-07-2015, 07:33 PM   #53  

Hello Coaches,

CREDIT for being OP today!! I have had a headache all day - I think it is from my strength training exercises. They were new exercises and I must of strained my neck muscles with the shoulder lifts.

I had a bit of motivation today because I had several teachers at work ask if I had lost weight. That is a motivator for sure.

Lexxis - it is good to hear from you again.

BillBB - 99 cents a pint for blueberries is a bargain no one should pass up - those are worth snacking for!

gardenerjoy: cheese is a hard thing for me to pass up - congrats on that.

nationalparker
: your office has donuts every Friday?? Ouch.

curlyjax: it is hard not to have those treats for the kids - hopefully school will put you all in a new schedule.

wallenda
: it does help to eat out with someone who will pass up the bread with you!

I have got to go to the store tomorrow - we are down to almond milk and some yogurt. Made quinoa and brown rice for DS and DH, along with grilled salmon and roasted asparagus. Those two ate it all while I was finishing up a class. I ended up with cottage cheese and an apple, lol. My DH had saved me some, but DS was still hungry.....growing teenager. I think I spend more now on groceries than I did when there were seven of us at home to feed - but I was making everything from scratch and didn't have to worry about gluten free eating/cooking.

Have a great night.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:14 PM   #54  

More CREDIT for me today, as I made reservations in advance for dinner so that I could truthfully decline the invitation that I knew would be coming from sister-in-law to join them for dinner. I knew when I said that I wanted to stop by and see my nephews that she would offer, and that it would be a problem, so I was happy that I prepared. And I knew that it would be an imposition on her, but that she was going to be polite, so I don't feel antisocial. Good thing, too, because she was making this amazing looking bread with mozzarella thing.

CREDIT - ate completely on plan at the restaurant and didn't even whine when mmom had cornbread with maple butter.

CREDIT - went to the exercise room at my mom's apartment and worked out on my own. Had quite a good workout and and I think I'll be a little sore tomorrow.

Tomorrow's challenge will be a 10-hour drive alone, avoiding drive-thrus along the way. I'm armed with snack food and will find a grocery store for lunch where I can get a salad and cold cuts.

nationalparker I love the Ina whirlwind! That is the most gracious acceptance of someone's typo I've ever seen! And I do remember that Family Circus!

Last edited by wallenda; 08-07-2015 at 10:15 PM.
Old 08-08-2015, 07:08 AM   #55  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Saturday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – My assignment this morning is to get water into our community garden before the sun gets hot. I meant to do it yesterday after dinner but we opted to see Meryl Streep in Ricki and the Flash (just OK - we should read reviews before we head off to a movie). I did read the price list to learn that popcorn is $8 for a bucket with unlimited refills and water is $4.50 (without refills). Fortunately, buying refreshments at the movies just isn't my thing.

Gym was good, CREDIT moi. My class started out as a one person class which made me quite happy since I like the instructor. Alas, a second attendee showed up, but the instructor managed to treat it like a one-on-one trainer session. Feeling good about my workout helped me later when I encountered some tempting cookies on sale at the supermarket and just walked on by.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Skipping wine & cheese at an evening meeting is a big deal. Kudos.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – You certainly deserve to give yourself CREDIT for getting your mind in shape to make those financial decisions. Kudos.

nationalparker – Kudos for preparing for 'Donut Friday.' LOL at, "None will pass my lips. Not even a half, which clearly has few calories since they leak out the ends."

curlyjax - It's great to feel appreciated at work. Kudos for recognizing the "don't care" Sabotaging Thought so you can plan your response.

SuzLen - I was drooling that your DH saved you some "grilled salmon and roasted asparagus" until I read that that growing teen got to them.

wallenda - Super Kudos for planning in advance how to avoid the dinner invitation.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 1 Are Your Trapped?

Diet books, diet plans, diet programs. They all want you to believe they have the magic formula. Eat what they say, and losing weight will be easy and quick.

If that's true, why are two-thirds of Americans overweight? Why do most people who lose weight gain it back? And not just once but over and over again?

We're going to tell you the truth: Losing weight can be easy at first, but continuing to lose weight after the first few weeks or months, and then keeping off the weight you lose, can be very difficult. That is, unless you've learned how to identify the problems - the traps - that you're certain to encounter, and figured out how to develop escape plans for each one.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 3

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 08-08-2015 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 08-08-2015, 09:36 AM   #56  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Quick early post to set intentions today. Starting Day 6 on plan and plan to end it on plan, despite a more caloric day. Yesterday seemed to work itself out well - lunch was ppd until this coming week, so the day of two meals out was reduced to one. Ran home at lunch and ate lightly. Turns out I was TOO hungry come dinner theatre time. Had one roll and next time my intention is to skip them. They have a variety and they're all pretty lousy. Ate wisely at dinner otherwise and chose a slice of pie for dessert (it's a free upgraded dessert so I always indulge and enjoy! poor excuse but it's the truth.) ... ate the tip and the back bc I'm the one person who prefers the crust over the pie. Left the rest. Ended up picking up, cleaning up, prepping items for today's dinner and ice cream cake until after 1 a.m. In good shape now. Did the next step of the cake/ice cream deal this morning. Read on someone's dessert blog that this is a good cake to do if you have no life. Hm.

Eating mid-afternoon and will see if DH wants to go the smoothie route tonight.

Quick note Bill - a perk at our company is humongously reduced soft drink and water prices, so it's always SUPER hard for me to buy water anywhere. I know it's a smart choice but to pay for it is just HARD. More personals if time this evening.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:36 AM   #57  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

BBE, thanks for getting us started with The Diet Trap Solution! I will read eagerly, as I still have not decided to buy the book. Nice you had a semi-private class yesterday. It's great when that workout motivates you not to buy tempting sale cookies.

Wallenda, best wishes today as you travel such a long distance alone!

SuzLen, I hope your headache has passed! Nice that several teachers have notice that you have lost weight!

gardenerjoy, belated kudos for reaching your exercise goal last month AND for resisting donuts since 2009.

nationalparker, hope your get together goes well today! Kudos for staying away from donuts AGAIN. They just always seem tempting and are so deadly. I do find I feel so much better in my head when I work to make successes with food choices.

curlyjax, glad to hear from you. I hope by posting you are slipping out of the "don't care" mentality. LOL at nutrition cop.

love2garden, yay for "no more bashing myself" and getting right back on track!

maryann, I look forward to hearing about your musical. I admire your commitment to stay out of the blues with things you cannot change. Kudos. Belated congrats to your mom!

onebyone, its so nice to hear you have a very supportive WW group. Your leader sounds just great! I'll bet she makes it much easier for her tribe to "show up".

eusebius, kudos for keeping up with your running/walking. What great progress you have made!

I had a good day yesterday, despite the boss telling me sorry he thought he could find a way for me to have Sunday's off but it's not working out. Oh, well. I asked him to just keep it in mind. In light of my fractured family, I would really like to get back to going to church with my DH.

I know I've been absent and wanted to mention a few things I've been noticing as I continue to work my Beck program.
~I'm pitching more food.
~I'm really noticing when I'm full and don't enjoy the feeling anymore.
~I'm finding I'm no longer interested in foods that used to entice me...many that are too salty.
~I have continual positive talking to myself regarding improving many aspects of my life.
~I'm making progress with not comforting myself with food.
Credit.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:59 AM   #58  
Green Tomatoes

We could use prayers and positive energies in St. Louis this weekend.

I don't have a full food plan for today and what I do have already changed. So, I'm going to be flexible and careful and try to improve things in the next 24 hours so that I can make good plans next week.

WI: +0.3 kg, Exercise: +30 235/1300 minutes for August, Food: 100% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 08-08-2015, 06:45 PM   #59  

Height: 5' 2"

GardenerJoy Some anniversaries are better off forgotten, eh?

wallenda welcome back.

Bill Blueberries!!! I wish I had 1/2 a freezer full but they are terribly expensive here.

Debbie Reviewing where you are in relationship to where you were sounds like wisdom. I agree especially with
Quote:
~I'm finding I'm no longer interested in foods that used to entice me...many that are too salty.
Also discovered that my absolutely favorite ice cream no longer calls to me after the last binge really turned me off. CREDIT

Credit: Letting go cravings that used to haunt me.
Credit: Eating healthy, and stopping.
Credit: Logging food
Old 08-08-2015, 07:16 PM   #60  

Successful drive, but I feel like you all were helping me.

About halfway through the ride, after I had finished lunch and when I would have normally been craving a snack, I saw a car in front of me with the license plate BECK 2. I took it as a sign.

Then a bit later, as I worked my way through the various podcasts I had downloaded for the trip, I got to Invisibilia, which is a new show for me. And on the first episode, who has a brief cameo, but Aaron Beck, father of Judith, talking about Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.

There was no way I could go through the Dunkin Donuts drive through after that.
Closed Thread