Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 12:06 PM   #166  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Boys went to a Kings game last night. Solo this morning and a bit lonely. I started looking through scrapbooks. I have been pretty diligent about keeping them. In the twelve years since my son was born so much has changed - family and friends have passed, family relationships have disintegrated, some friendships as well. It is hard to make sense of fifty years. A blink of an eye in the timeline of history I have studied but at the same time an entire story, maybe several stories of me. In all those pictures I have stayed within a fifteen pound weight range. I look good in all of them as opposed to the pictures of my teens when I am over 200 pounds and depressed. My summation for the morning - gratitude, don't sweat the small stuff, there is enough love at every moment I accept it but the faces of that love are often changing.

There is a balance between keeping an eye on the scale and living my life.

A new important data point - MSG makes me gain 2 pounds over night. I have now proven this through many experiments. When added with the soy from sushi the night before and lots of exercise, I am up 4 pounds. WOW. Humbling. Switching out body combat for a fall walk. I am sore some and want to do Piyo tomorrow. Food is a simple salad with chicken and a breakfast parfait. Dinner with friends at their house.

I am going to work on getting this new scrapbook up to date. I see their value.

Gosfordgirl: Good Question. I haven't added an angel in awhile. I am always missing by about 1800 calories which ironically is only 300 extra calories a day. Just enough to barely maintain my current weight. I have to think on this.

Credit to all those of us who make time even to just check in. All these intentions add up to good.

BBE: I sang in an Early Music Ensemble for years. The sackbut was standard.

Last edited by maryann; 11-16-2014 at 12:09 PM.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:04 PM   #167  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Just a quick check in today. Had an 8 miles hike or so yesterday, solo, credit. It was the same one I did Thursday with Hiking Suzanne. Planned food, credit. Stayed within calories, but overate. I say this because I ate more of the exercise calories than I intended to and I just barely stayed within calories.

Today I'm being very careful with the food plan because I'm not hiking and I'm weighing in for a challenge tomorrow morning. I don't think there will be much of a loss, but even a little would be great.

Tomorrow the house (trim) painters come as well as the contractor for the bathrooms. I'll be home for at least the morning. The weather is cool enough to hike even in the afternoon, so I'll see.

Heading out to see the movie St. Vincent shortly. Hope you are all getting a little relaxation. More tomorrow.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:22 PM   #168  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

A good day in which the DB and I built a new wood shelter and all the wood was stacked. I feel very relieved that this is done. We have a number of unknown quantities knocking around at the moment which may need one or both of us adults to be away, and that would make having insufficient wood rather tricky.

WI: down 0.25lb. Exercise: YES - flexibility. Spontaneous exercise: 3 hours on wood and shelter. Written food plan: YES. Last night’s sleep: 6.5 marks out of 10.

nationalparker, you're certainly getting into the swing of things early! Credit! And leftover pizza - could you tell yourself it's cold and unappetising? (Taking restaurant food home to reheat is one of the things about N America I really can't get my mind round! )

Ceejay, so good to hear you resisted sugar! Credit!

Gosfordgirl, it sounds as though there are some other classes to choose from. Shame it didn't work out with Body Balance. Actually, I'm not an academic. I've been an independent researcher since the late 80s and have only just been asked to teach this translation class. As there have been many fewer contracts around since the 'crisis', I sometimes do small translation and writing jobs to keep my hand in. I work in social, political, economic research usually. This current proposal is about dementia and sight loss.

Debbie, an avocado sounds good. How will you have it?

Bill, you're taking some interesting courses at the moment. Bad luck on the handyperson front. Your time will come again, though.

Maryann, credit to you for checking in! I look forward to your posts.

Karen, it sounds as though it could be a good idea to get out of the house tomorrow with all that going on. Lucky you have a hike handy. BTW, did you take much longer when you hiked alone than when you hiked the same route with Hiking Suzanne?

See you tomorrow, all. A new working week dawns.
Old 11-16-2014, 04:47 PM   #169  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Hi Coaches!
Not much to report- I did think of some of you resisting grocery store tastes so i did too today. And i thought, as i passed some xmas chocolate already for sale, Thanksgiving is coming, try to avoid 75% of temptation until then (need to give myself some leeway) so i kept walking.

DH is making a beefy onion pie with leftover roast beef which i am really looking forward to tonight. the crust is a little heavy so i will skip dessert, it is an indulgence we have maybe twice a year.

Maryann- beautiful sentiment, the faces that we love are often changing. I'm impressed with the scrapbooks, I am really behind on that stuff.
Gosfordgirl- it can definitely be hard to find the right exercise with some physical limitations. Good for you for keeping on and keeping your chin up.
Lexiss- I love avacado too! I like to spread it on toast, with a little cheese and tomatoes, for a filling breakfast. Its very versatile.
Old 11-16-2014, 06:11 PM   #170  

Height: 5' 2"

Good evening, from dark dreary skies. Wish I could see those stars Silver Birch could see. We've been told by our former Irish Priest that this place reminds him of his homeland. He just retired and went back there.

Credit, food below suggested count, high in dairy and veggies but a bit short on protein.. Evening broccoli was so good. Credit, I choose to eat pumpkin bread with milk for lunch and enjoyed it very, very much, but STOPPED!!!! Credit: 20 minutes exercise bike and 40 minutes strength training with DD.

Yesterday I drug all day. Suspect my friend back in the hospital had me feeling very down in the dumps. Decided that I was OK and needed to get going again. Slept so well last night and feel great today.

I agree that doing without digital music is also my preference.

Amazed that curly pudge is loosing in spite of your health issues. I'm healthy and stuck in a 1-2 pound bouncing range.

Thinking mistakes: When craving chocolate, just a bit will be ok, then wanting more and more. Want to learn to set the limit and stick to it.
Old 11-16-2014, 09:11 PM   #171  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Too busy for a day that I wanted to include more relaxing... Errands for a long while to Aldi's and a few other spots, picking up many of the needed items for Thanksgiving. Got home after the snow started, and it's supposed to snow through the night. We have an appt wtih a CPA tomorrow to review some tax questions we have ... I sure wish it was another day now as after more than 10 years here and having visited a number of other cities in the snow - they do a HORRID job of [not] clearing the roads here. Legislators from other areas of the midwest were here last year during a snowstorm and they took to the media to say how incompetent it was here ... so many accidents, people waiting for the busses are in the street bc plowing is bad. ANYWAY, I go through all that to say that my aggravation/fear in snow driving will now kick in for the next few months. I want to cancel all plans and just hunker down. Unfortunately, I'm not retired.

A friend passed away on Friday and that's always a reminder to live. A complete sad surprise. Life's too dang short to always worry about what goes in my mouth. To always be so conscious of the food choices. The ingredients. The amounts. At some point, I want it to just be easier and require less awareness. Like vacation eating - just get what you want, move a heck of a lot, and get back to "real life" down a few pounds, typically. No boredom challenge eating.

Enjoy time with those you love today if you can.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:12 PM   #172  

S/C/G: 165/132/125 or 115? not sure

Height: 5'4" (on a good-hair day!)

Quick check in. Company gone on VERY early flight. (Sometimes I think a sleep challenge on this forum would be a good idea but too many variables!! )

Food on plan but only exercising every other day. Oh well.

Have a good week.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:40 PM   #173  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hello Coaches,

A quick check in tonight. Credit today for:

-reading response and advantage cards
-no sugar
-resisting sugar and eating in the evening until planned snack
-lunch packed for tomorrow
-plan for food tomorrow
-eating on plan
-riding exercise bike
-exercises for arms and shoulders
-checking in with my coaches
-writing in health journal

Old 11-17-2014, 05:27 AM   #174  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Not a stellar day

Hi coaches

Weight was up again this morning. Probably shouldn't start an entry with that because it is giving the number on the scale too much prominence. But it seems that that is what I am here for - to lose weight! I know it will be up tomorrow because I has a Japanese lunch and made good choices. But they use so much covert sugar in their dressings that it will throw me off track for a few days. I had never noticed before but could really taste it (very nice food of course but...)

Lunch packed for tomorrow, gym scheduled for after work on the way home and I will just plod on.

Have a good day all
Old 11-17-2014, 06:26 AM   #175  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Monday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Completed the task of replacing the errant thermostat. I put in one of the old fashioned ones without battery or computer. That will suffice until I replace it with a Wi-Fi model that can be set from an iPhone anywhere in the world over the Internet. I've got mixed feelings about the security issue of an Internet connection that could be hacked by someone with the evil intent of lowering my house temperature.

Walked, CREDIT moi, one more time as if it would be my last before getting locked inside for the winter. I use Exaggerated Thinking in lots of places. The Clementine for evening snack, CREDIT moi, didn't have the extra burst of sweet that's usual. It seemed just like a small orange. But it still provided enough Vitamin C to prevent scurvy, LOL.

CeeJay - You continue to keep up with your "no sugar" - Kudos.

silverbirch – Kudos for raising a DB with the wherewithal to help build a wood shelter. Is wood your only source of heat?

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) – Love the phrase, "covert sugar" - makes it sound so evil.

maryann - Yay for a fall walk; Kudos for enjoying that which is both simple and splendid.

nationalparker – Thanks for the reminder that life should be lived today. Sorry to hear about your friend.

Karen (karenrn) - Hope you endure the stress of both painters and contractors on the same day.

curlypudge - I, too, hate seeing that Christmas candy out the day after Halloween. It does help remind me that the stuff just can't be fresh.

Mountain Mamma - Kudos for food on plan.

love2garden - Yep, Kudos for "STOPPED!!!!" with that pumpkin bread.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 27 Master the Seven Questions Technique

You now have your list of sabotaging thoughts and thinking mistakes. Today, you'll create additional Response Cards to help you more effectively reply to these thoughts. You'll read these cards at a set time every day, ideally when you read your Advantages Response Card. You'll also pull them out whenever you need them. Over time, as you practice these ideas again and again, you'll begin to automatically respond to your sabotaging thoughts, even without the cards.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 199.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:51 AM   #176  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I started to draft a post yesterday, but never completed it. I was about 70% on my SSSheet on Saturday and less than that yesterday, but my eating was fine on both days. This tells me that if I can put together a couple of good days, that will sustain me for a couple more days.

CREDIT for noticing that slower eating has become a real habit. I had to eat a meal in a rush yesterday and that feels odd to me now.

We have snow on the ground. Early for us, but my spontaneous exercise on Saturday was getting ready for it with shopping and some outdoor chores.

WI: -1.1 kg, Exercise: +30 585/1200 minutes for November, Food: NA op, Read my Advantages and Responses: no
Old 11-17-2014, 09:59 AM   #177  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Brief post to say that I received the green Beck book yesterday (yes, on a Sunday - not sure why/how, but ... it arrived at my doorstep for the magical price of $4). We didn't find it until heading out for our "annual" walk in the first snow... bundled up like crazy. Snow was falling quickly and it crunched under our feet. Felt good - we only went part of the way down the trail, but it was peaceful. Today the bottom will fall out on our temps, going to single digits tonight, moving their way through to us.

DH and I turned to each other at the same second and said let's move to Florida I don't mind the snow if I don't have to be anywhere at a specific time. I like shoveling it, etc. But the roads - eh. Saw this morning that the interstate had been shut down with a multi-semi and car wreck... they said a sheet of ice. I said to DH that we'll take the side roads up north. My stomach hurts thinking about getting out in this.

OP breakfast. Today at work the lunch is our Thanksgiving luncheon. Still not made my plan for that. It's not usually a major temptation for me.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:55 AM   #178  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

We were invited to dinner with friends. My friend is newly married under the changing law. His husband is a widower whose wife died from cancer. They have three new grandbabies. Credit for not trying to explain all the permutations of this modern family to DS who simply enjoyed the terrific food and played the piano for everyone after dinner. I am grateful to have all the diversity in my life today - a far cry from the little middle class girl going to an all white Catholic school. Although still Catholic, now I live in an Indian neighborhood, my son goes to a Mormon boy scout troop, and my friends are from all socioeconomic backgrounds. How is this related to my compulsive overeating? I think it is connected by willingness. I fail on my program so often and yet i am willing to continually try new avenues for solutions. I am willing to be honest about failures, willing to let go of old ideas in favor of new ones.

Credit for a pomegranate smoothie. Piyo class was foiled - bumped by the search for a missing clarinet (grrrrr). I am looking on class schedule next to see what it can be replaced by,

silverbirch: Too bad an ocean separates us. We have huge piles of walnut wood to burn.

curleypudge: Your post reminder of the old Weight Watcher saying "Thanksgiving Giving Day is exactly what it says ONE day."

love2garden: limits on some foods are possible on some days. I have never seen a consistent pattern with me. The really consistency for me is sitting down whiel I eat anything - and yet that practice eludes me.

nationalparker: I often question why isn't it easier. But I also wish I still looked 30 and had hair like Cindy Crawford. Neither of those are likely to happen. i guess I really resist the responsibility i constantly have to accept.

MountainMomma: Sleep IS connected to overeating studies have shown. I wonder to what degree.

Ceejay: Always good to read your checkin.

GosfordGirl: For me I think it is the soy in Japanese food.

BBE: Now I am off to hunt for a weird round battery to go in my heart rate monitor. This is not my expertise. How about i clothes shop for you and you battery hunt for me?

Last edited by maryann; 11-17-2014 at 11:59 AM.
Old 11-17-2014, 03:16 PM   #179  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,

It's a day at home for me which feels so odd. It was only 42 degrees here this morning and now is 65. It's supposed to get up to 70 today, but that is cool for us. The high in December and January is about 65 I think. Of course keep in mind this is the time of year we love. No hiking today cause I'm home with the workmen. The bathroom stuff is getting done, but the trim painter delayed until tomorrow. Food planned and within calories yesterday, credit. No hike yesterday or today, will get back to it tomorrow.

Bill I'm half way thru Being Mortal. I love reading about the better living situations for the elderly and the overused medical treatment is what I saw on a daily basis. It's quite a problem with many of us thinking there is always a way to fix things and the physicians who take their cues from what we expect to hear rather than what is real. I can't imagine what kind of living situations could be provided or assisted with if we didn't have so much money spent for treatments that are not beneficial and often harmful. Okay I will now step down from my soapbox.

Silverbirch The hike didn't take me any longer than when I'm with Suzanne. She is quick on the uphill, but I am faster on the downhill and I seem to have a little more endurance, so I'm still good to go at the end of a long hike.

CeeJay Looks like you've got quite a streak going. Good job.

Nationalparker You know my husband and I moved to Arizona almost on a whim 9 1/2 years ago. Both of us had lived in Washington State our whole lives, which was just over 50 years for me and a little less for him. The last five years before we moved my Dad, my Sister in Law and my Mom died. I did a lot of caregiving during that time. Both of us were tired of the grey skies and drizzle. Some friends had moved to AZ. I came down for a long weekend visit and loved the blue skies. Earlier we had talked about moving here after retirement, but we decided to move and get jobs here. Actually we got jobs before we moved. It has worked out well for us. I miss many of my friends, but have made new friends and many of them are more active.

I saw the movie St. Vincent yesterday. We both really enjoyed it.

Okay, back to Being Mortal.

More tomorrow.

Karen
Old 11-17-2014, 04:23 PM   #180  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

A very quick check-in as things have caught up with me. I hope you're all doing well. I'm still feeling very supported and encouraged by this group. Thank you!

WI: up 0.5lb. Exercise: YES - flexibility. Spontaneous exercise: NO, apart from up and down to the car and around a supermarket and so on - call it half a mile. Written food plan: YES. Last night’s sleep: 6.5 marks out of 10.

See you tomorrow.
Closed Thread