Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 05:28 PM   #181  

Height: 5' 2"

"But it still provided enough Vitamin C to prevent scurvy." Bill says about the Clementine that is not very sweet.

When I was living in a boarding house while going to school, the only food served was brown or white. Potatoes 3 times a day and lots of biscuits and gravey. NEVER any fruit and occassionally over-cooked green beans or peas. I had such sore gums that I went to a dentist. I had scurvy!!!! Believe me, you don't want it. Eat those fresh veggies and fruit.

When I changed schools I did far better and took a nutrition class. What a help that as been. We keep a fruit bowl on the table in sight, have colorful salads most days at least once, love most veggies and don't overcook them.

Recording my exercise and my food is really helping me. Glad I finally gave up rebelling and simply am recording it all. My thinking is really changing and coming here is making a difference.

THANKS COACHES!

Credit: Spontaneous Exercise, cleaning house especially the harder parts has me very tired, but smiling. Credit, eating healthy and logging all food.
Sleep is so much better, too.

Karen, loved your telling about moving to Arizona and how much you are enjoying the blue skies and active friends.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:12 PM   #182  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hello coaches:

Happy to report a pretty good day today. I did eat 2 pieces of bread with jam after dinner. But I stopped so I guess that is a win. I continue to battle the urge to eat from dinner time to bedtime.

I will be in the city tomorrow night and am spending Wednesday going to appointments and Christmas shopping. I am determined that no matter what I am not going to eat any sugar and I will keep things in hand.

Today was the first day of driving through snow on icy roads. At least where I am driving- highways in the boonies- there are not that many other cars to worry about. Peter Frampton kept me company today.

Will check in Wednesday night. Hope everyone had a good Monday.

Old 11-18-2014, 06:40 AM   #183  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Mystery solved: It wasn't a Clementine, it was a Mandarin orange. The supermarket sign read 'Clementine' and the box they came in read 'Clementine' but the little tag on the string bag said 'Mandarin Orange.' After dinner snack last night was a Mandarin Orange (also known as a Mandarine), CREDIT moi.

Walked, CREDIT moi, in serious rain to the school selling the used books - the one to which we contributed a large box. A librarian type person had them all arranged by genre spread down three hallways. I poked about having a wonderful time but left with only one book, Sherwin Nuland's recent, The Soul of Medicine: Tales from the Bedside. I left behind so many, many intriguing books. Found myself picking up books that had DW's address label in them, LOL.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Ouch for early snow, he said feeling very grateful that it was you, not him.

CeeJay - Yep, "stopped" is always a win, Kudos.

silverbirch – Kudos for getting in your flexibility exercise even though busy.

maryann - I'm encouraged by your, "willing to let go of old ideas in favor of new ones" - sometimes I find myself short there. [Yep, I'd do anything to have someone buy my clothes.]

nationalparker – It amazes me how consistently there are major pile-ups with first snow - as if drivers forget how to drive in snow in just six months. Hope your work luncheon went smoothly.

Karen (karenrn) - Yep, Kudos for "planned and within calories." My hope is that our country can somehow tap into the experience of people like you to find a solution for a graceful exit.

love2garden - Good grief! Your scurvy story is amazing. I thought the British limeys had delegated that to the history books. Kudos for cleaning the harder parts of the house instead of wishing they'd go away.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 27 Master the Seven Questions Technique

How to Make Your Cards
As you look through your notebook and examine your common sabotaging thoughts, reflect on each one by asking yourself, What do I wish I could remember the next time I have this thought? Write down your response using the technique below. Not all questions will apply to every sabotaging thought, but write down responses to the ones that do.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 199.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:35 AM   #184  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Brief check in as I'm headed to work...reporting a substantially-under calorie day yesterday, recognizing that is not always a good thing. Credit for noticing and planning food for a more realistic day today. Rest is also on my agenda. I believe that inadequate calories and rest paired with some family turmoil is a recipe for an unhealthy response down the road. Credit for not engaging in emotional eating and for planning for a healthier day.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:26 AM   #185  
Green Tomatoes

Greetings from Missouri where the governor has declared we're in a state of emergency, even though nothing has happened. I was already having an unsettled day, in part because I was distracted by a project intended to keep things calm. We've been tense here for over a hundred days but thousands of people are working much harder than I am to channel the energy in positive ways. It's discouraging that the governor didn't give peace a chance. And, it ratcheted up the tension level. So.

The good news is that I didn't eat over it, CREDIT! I still achieved about 70% of my SSSheet, CREDIT! I wrote a complete plan for today, CREDIT!

Today I want to focus on one thing: calming myself before I eat. I keep forgetting, so I'll just keep non-judgmentally reminding myself until I don't forget.

WI: -0.25 kg, Exercise: +30 615/1200 minutes for November, Food: NA op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 11-18-2014, 09:10 AM   #186  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

morning coaches!
well, everytime I report I lost a few, I seem to gain it back, so maybe I should keep quiet until I lose a lot I know, normal fluctuations.

It was cold and rainy yesterday, perfect weather for baking brownies!! I did resist, knowing I would eat way too many, credit for that. Then DH came home late with some, just when I was ready for a little more food! at least it was portion controlled, only 1 1/2 instead of who knows how many.

Yesterday I started comparing my life to others and feeling it fell short in many ways. I should just stay off Facebook among other things, I know it only shows one part of life. Sometimes I just feel stuck where I am in my life, and then of course I overeat. That is my goal for the next few months, work on stopping myself when I start to get gloomy. I was able to stop yesterday before I got too morose, told myself to remember my many blessings!!

Karenrn- St. Vincent- I really like Melissa McCarthy, that movie looks fun. I really appreciate seeing actresses that aren't a size 2 blond, perfect etc.
gardenerjoy- it sounds very scary where you are, everyone on edge, waiting for something. thinking of you all and hoping for the best.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:28 PM   #187  

S/C/G: 165/132/125 or 115? not sure

Height: 5'4" (on a good-hair day!)

Becksters, How about a Contest to find the King of the Sabotaging Thoughts?!!

Here's mine: last night a bad head pain struck me and an *Erma Bombeckian thought occurred, what if I'm having The Big One? And I eschewed cashews on my last night on earth? Swallowed an Advil & told the Drama Queen to go away, had a healthy snack & went to bed. Just needed sleep.

Personals later!

*(re her joke about the doomed ladies on the Titanic who abstained from dessert that fateful night!)

Last edited by Mountain Mamma; 11-18-2014 at 01:33 PM.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:20 PM   #188  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

I’ve gone off the rails a bit here. It started yesterday when I used a coupon for a box of ‘cookies’ which we have about twice a year. Then I didn’t manage a sleep yesterday afternoon. It continued when I didn’t make my lunch in the morning so I could just take it ’n’ eat it. That meant that lunch wasn’t ring-fenced. And, finally, I bought another two small boxes of ‘cookies’ at the DB’s behest. Oh, not finally. I didn’t manage a sleep today either.

I see the problems so tomorrow I’ll make my lunch as usual when I make the DB’s, before breakfast. This is particularly important as I’m going to see my alcoholic friend. It’s not possible to predict whether he’ll be in a culinary mood (and we’ll eat splendidly) or a poor way (and he’ll forget all about food). So it’s important to go prepared. I also take a blanket in case his place is freezing cold (and in the winter I take a hot water bottle). Then, when I come back, I’ll make sure I have a sleep. He’ll have worn me out in any case.

And a third modification: I’ve written into my food plan template that I need extra food on a weights day. Credit. A good work out today. My leg muscles are really coming on well. Credit.

WI: up 0.5lb. Exercise: YES - flexibility + weights. Spontaneous exercise: NO. Written food plan: YES. Last night’s sleep: 8 marks out of 10.

love2garden, good gracious! That must have been a terrible boarding house! So good to hear your sleep is better - as you know, I'm very keen on it myself.

Ceejay, I loved reading this: 'I will keep things in hand.' I'll try and remember it when things could slide a bit here.

Bill, very funny that you kept picking up DW's donated books! Credit for only coming away with one book. We are a disaster area at secondhand book places. The car is always awash on journeys as we stop at different places as we go.

Debbie, "I believe that inadequate calories and rest paired with some family turmoil is a recipe for an unhealthy response down the road" - this is as true as they come. You can't get truer than that. Credit for recognising it and taking steps.

gardenerjoy, much kudos for taking part in activities to try to keep things calm. Calm seems to be a watchword for you at present. Thinking of you.

curlypudge, credit for not baking brownies!

Mountain Mamma, what a drama queen! Glad you're still with us! And you managed that without cashew nuts? Credit!

See you tomorrow, older and possibly wiser, I suppose.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:12 PM   #189  

Height: 5' 2"

Credit: Enjoyed first pecan pancakes this year but also planned healthy rest of the day and am following thru. Credit: Logged every bit of food this week. Credit: Spontaneous exercise including many times getting in and out of car with all winter weather clothes making that difficult.

Ceejay, safe travels and enjoy shopping.
Joy: May peace come in spite of the Governor or others. No wonder you choose to calm yourself before eating.
Mountain Mama: Good for you chasing away the Drama Queen. (Loved the image your words sitr up.
Curleypudge: Counting blessings is a remarkable way to keep us away from gloom.
Bill: I avoided Clementines today at store, now I'll go get some, check label when I go out next time. Mystery solved.

Ruby grapefruit are better tasting than any cake or pie! Can't believe they are actually healthy, too.

Now that I know calorie count, I can log the pecan pancakes I had after my fasting blood test without freaking out. First time an a very long time I let myself really enjoy this favorite. Credit for questioning and getting answer that is truthful and making good choices.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:58 PM   #190  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,

Quick check in today. I've been busy quarterbacking the projects going on and things are moving in the right direction.

I got out for an hour and a half hike this morning, credit. Food planned and within calories, credit. I lost another pound, credit.

Bill I finished the book yesterday afternoon. It all rings so true with what my past experience has been. Very interesting. I think it would be helpful for many to read.

More later,

Karen
Old 11-18-2014, 08:37 PM   #191  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Hello! My effort into eating/being healthier was a bit lacking today. Dropped off car for repairs this morning, then DH drove me to dr. appt (allergy dr.) and then home. Worked from home this afternoon and was notably productive.

Culled out more things for Goodwill after hauling a trunkload up there on the weekend. One good find was a bag in mom's sewing machine that I inherited - with beautiful cheerful fabric and pattern for full apron that she'd apparently bought to make for me. I am the one in our family who wears aprons So ... that's on my list to make, while the rest of the patterns are heading to Goodwill. Made me happy/sad.

Breakfast and lunch were decently light, but solid dinner (leftovers) and have wanted to snack, so opened a 100-cal bag of skinny popcorn. Also had a few wafer cookies. I didn't track so I'm sure there's something else out there that I noshed on. Tried on that white skirt that I was SO thrilled to fit easily in on my birthday, felt sexy, etc. ... it "fits" but seems tighter ... and I felt like a fat flub in it. Of course, wearing fleece and socks while trying it on doesn't add to the sexy-feeling factor. But I'm keeping it handy to keep on trying on to make sure it fits this winter.

Have failed on personals here lately. I love reading everyone's notes to everyone, and need to carve out more time. A quick one to Karen for the note on Arizona... good timing. We keep talking about the future - but it's hard to get past the mental comfort of jobs with good benefits here ... need to determine what truly is most important for quality of life. You talk about hiking and I'm hunkering inside freezing while it's -10 with the wind chill. Silverbirch - MAJOR credits to recognize the potential pitfalls and work to avoid them tomorrow. Kudos on the weights!
MountainMamma - I'm going to propose a few entries to the Sabotaging Thoughts Challenge It's winter. I need comfort food. It's cold... I need warm comfort food. It's gray and dreary. I need to bake/cook to warm up the kitchen.

Last edited by nationalparker; 11-18-2014 at 08:39 PM.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:16 AM   #192  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Typing fast as I have an appointment with the dental hygienist this morning. After we get past the scold for not flossing sufficiently to her high standards, we do enjoy each other's conversation. She lives nearby and we cross paths every now and then. CREDIT moi for rigorously getting my teeth cleaned every three months. Won't get any natural ones to replace these.

Walk, CREDIT moi, included stopping at the hardware store that accepts burned out light bulbs for proper disposal. I returned two from the overhead fixture in my office - both CFL's designated to burn for 8000 hours. Arrrrrgh! They last a few months at best. I so look forward to burning out the box of these in our basement.
Sabotaging Thought: A handful of walnuts will extend the life of those d*rn CFL's.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Keeping my fingers crossed for the tensions that you and the active groups are working to disperse.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – This never gets seriously enough scheduled, "Rest is also on my agenda."

silverbirch – I'm impressed with the thoroughness of your prep for the visit to your unpredictable friend.

nationalparker – Yep, Kudos for "notably productive" - gotta savor those since we're so good at beating up on ourselves for our wasted moments.

Karen (karenrn) - Congrats on another pound gone forever. [I agree, Being Mortal would be useful to many.]

curlypudge - Neat strategy, "told myself to remember my many blessings."

Mountain Mamma - Love your notion of a Sabotaging Thought slam.

love2garden - Neat that by rigorously recording your food for a week, you can enjoy your pecan pancakes.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 27 Master the Seven Questions Technique

The Seven Question Technique
  1. What kind of thinking error could I be making?
  2. What evidence is there that this thought might not be true (or not completely true)?
  3. Is there an alternative explanation or another way of viewing this?
  4. What is the most realistic outcome of this situation?
  5. What is the effect of my believing this thought and what could be the effect of changing my thinking?
  6. What would I tell (a close friend or family member) if he/she were in this situation and had this thought?
  7. What should I do now?
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 199.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:23 AM   #193  
Green Tomatoes

Rumor is that the grand jury announcement will be today -- but three rumored days have passed without an announcement, so I don't put too much stock in that.

I blundered yesterday. I ate in front of the television when I was home alone. Those conditions sometimes slip into binges when I'm at the top of my game, much less when I'm just getting back on track. It wasn't a full-out binge, but definitely more food than I planned or needed.

I'm resisting going on to Success Skill 8 because I remember it being more absolute and perfectionist than it needs to be. So, pushing past resistance.....

Success Skill 8: Follow Your Plan, No Matter What. The section includes 11 Resistance techniques. The first one is NO CHOICE. Which I know to be effective, but also to be a bit of a problem when flexibility really does need to be the order of the day. I'm looking at my plan for the day and it should accommodate all kinds of things, including the grand jury announcement. So, for today, NO CHOICE, I'm following my plan.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:29 AM   #194  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

morning coaches!
just a quick check in- yesterday i made myself go for a walk in the cold, and i have to say it was invigorating! as long as you are dressed for it, and it isn't icy, it can feel really good to do so. Plus you feel extra pleased with yourself for having made the effort!

Having coffee with a friend later today- will plan to eat before and only have tea and nothing else!
Also planning to not eat dessert today, so I will report back my success! (had some pie yesterday, so i need to get back to low sugar days).
Happy Wednesday all!
'
Old 11-19-2014, 03:02 PM   #195  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Nice day with my friend. I ate my sandwich and salad (which I made this morning when I made the DB’s lunch). Credit! I did not eat my apple and nuts as soon as I arrived as that seemed very rude. He made me two cups of chamomile tea and ate nothing at all himself. He is very thin from cycling at least 30 miles every day. As he is also very stiff (doesn’t walk as much now as he bikes everywhere - no car) I suggested a walk. We went ‘round the block’ which involves close views of some of the most iconic mountains in this part of the world plus a few beautiful lakes and rivers as well. 40 minutes very well spent and my SI joint thanked me (as did my friend). I wore my merino wool longjohns and a vest (type of undergarment for the top half, not a jacket) and that was just as well, given the temperature in his house. Credit!

I can report that the cookies have all gone in this house and I shan’t buy any more, even if I’m sent a coupon for them. Back to once or twice a year, if that, I think.

I am fighting off the desire to have some muesli. There is no need for it. Resist. Resist. Resist. Credit! (I think this is because I did not manage to fit in a sleep this afternoon, although I could have done as the SO was making the evening meal. Now I'm too tired to do what I have to do, hence the desire. Still resisting.)

WI: no change. Exercise: YES - ˝ flexibility routine. Spontaneous exercise: YES - 40 minute walk. Written food plan: YES. Last night’s sleep: 7 marks out of 10.

Bill, we have four electric storage heaters which I have just heard the DB describing to a friend as 'broken beyond repair'. This is completely untrue: the ones in the garden room and sitting room are on, the one in the kitchen is temporarily hidden behind several bookcases and off, and the one in the bedroom (which, granted, does have a big dent in it from where a cupboard fell off the wall) is off. They aren't particularly good but do take the chill and damp off. Access from the road is too poor for oil or gas central heating. The wood-burning stove has a back boiler so when it's lit we have hot water from it. And, besides, a real fire is so lovely in a room. (nationalparker will agree with me, I know!)

See you tomorrow, everyone! Credit for checking in.

Last edited by silverbirch; 11-19-2014 at 03:04 PM.
Closed Thread