Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 03:30 PM   #136  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Feeling a bit sheepish saying NEW LOW again. It sounds so incredible, day after day, but it actually computes to a little over 1lb/week over the four weeks I’ve been at this. Not so incredible. I’d be quite happy if it carried on, though. Credit for sticking at it, even when the number went up and up!

Had a good workout this morning, adding a lunge to the deadlift. Credit. That will protect my back if I slip carrying a holdall or something heavy.

Stupidly, this afternoon I lugged the brown wheelie bin down to the road. It was full of stuff which will take too long to compost in this small garden, and stuff which is fairly pernicious (such as the mombretia). It was extremely heavy and the wheels don’t work on the first bit, which is gravel. Consequently, my back has been niggled. This is so stupid of me as we are expecting a wood delivery tomorrow which requires (1) stacking out of the way of traffic, (2) barrowing up to the house and (3) stacking again. It has also been raining hard so the wood will be heavy.

WI: down 0.75lb NEW LOW. Exercise: YES - flexibility + weights. Spontaneous exercise: NO. Written food plan: YES. Last night’s sleep: 6 marks out of 10 + 30 mins this afternoon.

Time is pressing so I'll good night and see you all tomorrow.
Old 11-13-2014, 03:39 PM   #137  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

I had to drive over the hill and back today w/blizzards all the way. My mom called crying last eve because she was afraid her water was going to freeze over there. In actuality, it was 35 degrees warmer when we arrived there this morning but it's done! I left DH and the pup over there now I will have peace and quiet for awhile. I stopped midway to shop at WhFoods. Stocked up on some Thanksgiving stuff that I can't get anywhere else. W/turkey in the freezer don't think I'll need much else now.
A few observations:
I find a lot of peace now with grocery shopping….finding new healthy items….I came home today with a large bag filled with goodness
I've found a new benefit in tracking my calories….really looking at the whole picture...sodium, cholesterol, sugar, etc. I'm finding it very motivating to switch things around...better choices for better results.
I can travel the Divide AND back and still not feel the need to buy a food snack at WhFoods midway. (I didn't even eat my emergency banana!)
Credit moi!

gardenerjoy, I really like the Success Skills Sheets in the back of the green book. What appeals to me most is that I can keep an entire week on one sheet of paper. I always have extra copies on hand. Kudos for having flexibility to make the sheet work for you.

BBE, I love my mornings, too! LOL for 2:27am. Yay for decluttering a few items….is there still time for more?

Cheryl(GosfordGirl), yay for a new low. Your new plan seems to really be working for you!

MountainMamma, yay for a workout despite company!

CeeJay, safe travels with your planned and packed food!

nationalparker, what a nice gift for your coworker! I, too, need to remind myself of the hot tea solution!

MaryAnn, super credit for following your NMMSNDS rule at work!

silverbirch, yay for a new low and for clearing the deck at work!

I'm going to enjoy doing a lot of nothing for the rest of this day. I have healthy meals planned and no one to cook for but me. Tomorrow and possibly Saturday will be spent repairing yet another toilet....what is it?? We already had one on Tuesday, which I missed out on due to restaurant duties. I really don't enjoy this rental business....credit for taking care of my moms stuff when all I really want to do is take care of MY OWN STUFF! lol

Last edited by Lexxiss; 11-13-2014 at 03:41 PM.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:16 PM   #138  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Good afternoon coaches,

I guess I didn't post yesterday. Food was on plan and within calories, credit. Exercise was a six mile hike in Sedona, credit. The hikes in Sedona are typically not that steep. Many of them are kind of around the rocks. Yesterdays was up ad down, but the elevation is about 5000 feet. Not high, but since we live nearer sea level, I feel it some.

Todays hike was a new trail that takes off from a trail I'm very familiar with. It was Sunrise to the Andrews-Kinsey trail. An out and back of about 8 miles. I was with Hiking Suzanne, so you know we were moving, big credit.

CeeJay I was sorry to read about your brother in law and yes wouldn't it be wonderful if we had more peace in this world. It does seem you're on a good roll with your food plan, good for you.

Lexxis You certainly deserve to enjoy the rest of your day. I'd say you need some down time for sure.

Silverbirch Big time congratulations on new low after new low. What a wonderful thing. Always nice to know that when we really stick with a plan it will work.

Gardenerjoy I had photo copied some of the sheets in the back of the green book earlier and then tossed them when it seemed no one new what I was talking about. I guess I'd better have another look at them. I'm having an easier time right now than I sometimes do, but I know I better continue to concentrate on the skills necessary for when the going gets a bit tougher.

Bill I am a morning person too. It's especially good in the summer because it's the coolest time of the day. I'm hoping one of these days we will stay up a little later and get up a little later, but who knows.

Gosford Girl Glad to hear you're in the zone, so glad to have some of the time there rather than always a battle. Good for you for the TRX training. I did a very little bit of that and it's got to be good, cause it is HARD.

Mountain Momma Great that you got back on track. I just try to remember the line about not continuing to run red lights all day if I accidentally run one. I do think the resistance muscle gets stronger when it's used.

National Parker Glad you're able to enjoy some time at home doing domestic things. I also enjoy it. This time of the year the weather is so perfect I can't seem to stay home enough to get much done. You definitely should get to Sedona. It's such a beautiful area and the hiking is great and moderate.

Mary Ann Your snack of walnuts, dried cherries and organic chocolate sounds delicious. I feel like kind of an addict around sweets, so I've been avoiding them but I may have to try your concoction.

Hello to everybody else.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:27 PM   #139  

Height: 5' 2"

So much happened for this group! Lossed weight sounds so good - offers hope that it may happen to me some day.

So sorry about CeeJay's brother in law's death. Prayers for peace continue.

I must find the green book and check out those important charts and such. I'm always helped by such and really need help for food, especially.

Exercise is actually fun, and I rarely ever neglect that part.

I've refused to write down my food, and my body shows it as it doesn't let go of any weight that I need to say goodby to. Today the delightful trainer at the gym offered me ways to get more from my workouts, but also agreed that logging my food is a must. She said "Before you eat it works for me." I need to listen and learn.

First snow flying outside, temperatures dropping. Glad all three of us are at home and safe. Hope our son and DIL get home before weather deteriorates much more. They are flying in from Florida where they enjoyed a week. Coming back home to snow will make it even harder.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:35 PM   #140  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Another day on plan! I feel as if I can get through the hurdle of the first few days, then I can stick with it easier.

Dinner came together quickly and was cleaned up just as quickly, nice on a weeknight. DH just hit the sack very early and I took advantage of the time to do a little online early Christmas shopping with the Vermont Country Store. As kind of a joke a few years ago, I bought him a thick flannel nightshirt. Well, lo and behold, he LOVES it. So my mom bought him one last year and he's asked for another warm one this year... They're not cheap, but they are sturdy.

One of our cats has oral surgery tomorrow morning - I'm nervous but completely trust my vet crew. But I worry. Trying to avoid eating about it.

Came home and immediately boiled water for a hot cup of tea and viola! It worked. No snacking. At ALL. Journaled for a few minutes, and my brother called to talk, which I LOVE. So looking forward to seeing him and his wife in three weeks.

Snow flurries here - no accumulation until this weekend. Be careful to those of you with snow and frigid temps! Lexxiss - I applaud you for driving in that mess out there - brave soul.

Bill - I cannot fathom awakening and getting up and actually getting out in the house without checking the time first. My near-constant thought when falling awake is pleasepleaseplease let there be more than an hour until I have to get up. One time when we were camping, my early-bird sister woke up and packed up her stuff without checking her watch... she just knew it was morning. Turns out it was 2 a.m. She packed her bag, air mattress, everything. Then she didn't want to get it all back out of the packs.

Love2Garden - Be safe in that weather! I, too, am resisting writing my food down in any organized manner. I reason that when I've lost weight, it's not been when I've been closely monitoring it. It's been when I've been too busy to monitor it. Hmm.

Suspect that I need to look into the green book since I'm the lone wolf here who has no idea what's in it. I thought it was mainly recipes/food menus and I'm not into that.

"A house is no home unless it contains both food and fire for the mind as well as for the body." - Margaret Fuller, Woman in the Nineteenth Century, 1845. I read that quote last week in Simple Abundance and have reread it and written it several times. I just love it. Would like to somehow display it in my kitchen or dining room. Not sure what that has to do with our group, but I thought it might resonate with others here.

Last edited by nationalparker; 11-13-2014 at 09:41 PM.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:25 PM   #141  

S/C/G: 165/132/125 or 115? not sure

Height: 5'4" (on a good-hair day!)

Coach-Buddies:

Quick check in. Unfortunately no exercise but food on plan, a miracle as I did MAJOR cooking & food shopping. Okay, I had a couple of nibbles - those hairnet ladies with the samples are so encouraging . . . but I count it as a success because I stopped at one polite bite & resisted buying the 5 lb box of biscuits or whatever they were offering.
Old 11-14-2014, 02:08 AM   #142  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Hi Coaches

Weight unchanged today. At least it didn't go up! I took food to work and ate some of my food and some of the lunch that matched allowed foods. Avoided afternoon and morning tea so feel like food today was a success. Feel like I am chanelling CeeJay who "resisted snacks at meetings - all full of sugar, salt and/or fat" - tick. Was going to go to gym after work and probably should have but didn't feel up for it as it is hot. Won't get there until Sunday now - to another of the new classes I am trying: Bodybalance - a mixture of Tai Chi, Yoga, and Pilates. I find it quite challenging because I have trouble getting on and off the floor but strangely quite like it as I have done yoga for a number of years as well as pilates. It would be good to get some of the old skills back.

BillBE - LOL at leaping out of bed so early. I have to make myself stay there when I wake up early as I too am an early riser - but I always look at the clock. I was surprised at the time of your posting.

GardenerJoy - you are really working the green book program - credit that you are doing it diligently and that you feel comfortable with it

Silverbirch - what a great thing to be uncomfortable with - to have yet another NEW LOW day! And credit for hanging in there when it was going up. Ouch for a niggly back

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Glad that logging food works for you and is informative. Credit for not feeling the need to snack at WH. Enjoy your days in peace

KarenRN - Glad you enjoyed / survived the hike with 'Hiking Suzanne'; she scares me! I like TRX because it is controlled and you can wimp out on it - find an alternative

Love2garden - oh I wish exercise was fun for me - so glad you enjoy it

Nationalparker - credit for hot tea rather than snacks. A good alternative. Thinking about the cat and tomorrow.

MountainMamma - ouch for being cornered by persistent ladies. Credit for resisting the bigger lapse

Today:
- 183.6 pounds - unchanged
- Food on plan - yes
- Exercise - no
Old 11-14-2014, 05:12 AM   #143  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Friday - World Diabetes Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Small steps continued: I donated my worn flannel shirt to the rag bin; we had a quiet moment together beforehand. I found a box of books that I absolutely will never read again, that I detest, or that I believe should be banned from planet earth. The box had been created six months ago then quietly put in the corner of my office to avoid the pain of parting. But I now added them to those from DW who then took them to a book sale for a local school. She got out of the house before I snatched back Cry, the Beloved Country from her box; I haven't read that since Freshman year in college. She reminded me that the library has a copy for me to read. CREDIT moi for clearing out, regardless of how small. At dinner I ate the volume of lamb shank that I thought appropriate; stopped with plan to take the remainder home. When I looked closely, the only remainder was the HUGE bone. Oh, Well; CREDIT moi for thoughtful eating, anyway.

Walk, CREDIT moi just the usual in the remnants of Indian Summer - pure joy savoring what is known to be ending. (It's now 35 degrees F with rain and light snow.) I got diverted to help a friend with a mysterious electrical problem: the floor lamp on his enclosed front porch blew the circuit breaker when a heavy truck drove past. Huh? First thought was that had to just a coincidence. Then I remembered recent reading of the benefit doctors had in diagnosing when they believed their patients. When I asked him if it was a GFCI breaker, "Yes, how'd you know?" Then went looking in the outlet for a loose grounding wire and, voila, the bare ground wire was bent so that a hard shake of the house would let it pivot to touch the white wire terminals - the exact electrical circuit to trigger a GFCI breaker. Oh, the joys of boys at play.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – This is choice, "Food doesn't make me warm -- a sweater does!" Many other words can fit that sentence replacing 'warm.' Love it.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Every shopping trip should strive for "a large bag filled with goodness."

silverbirch – Ouch - that back needs to be protected. Hope it retains enough flexibility to handle your delivered wood. Continued Congrats on your continued NEW LOW.

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) – Neat to do mix-and-match with your brown-bag food and the meeting's food. That new gym class sounds fun.

nationalparker – Hope all goes well with your cat's surgery today. Kudos for the strategy to have a cup of tea instead of a snack. [Love the story of your early-bird sister leaping out of her sleeping bag at 2am. Glad to know I've got a soul mate out there.]

Karen (karenrn) - Kudos for continuing to move along with "Hiking Suzanne." 5000 feet is nothing to scoff.

Mountain Mamma - LOL at the descriptive "hairnet ladies with the samples" - they're my nemesis. Kudos for on plan eating despite major shopping.

love2garden - Couldn't be better: "Exercise is actually fun." Kudos for staying with it even if fun, LOL.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 26 Recognize Thinking Mistakes

Common Thinking Errors.
Here are nine common thinking mistakes people make when dieting.

Thinking Mistake #9: Exaggerated Thinking
You make a situation seem greater or worse than it really is.
Examples:
  • I can't stand this craving.
  • I have no willpower.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 196.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:31 AM   #144  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Arrow wobbled a bit.

Coaches

I wanted to check in with you guys before I head off into my day today. I am starting to overload with *feelings* and I need to release some before they demand to be quieted by food! Ugh. Today I am painting Varathane onto the backs of the fence figures I painted for a client 2 years that have now seen 2 full years of weather on his outdoor fence. I knew at the tine I would be doing a "touch up" but this feels like a "re-do". The high quality plywood has really done pretty well for only being primed and painted with regular acrylic paint. That was my part of the experiment-to see what would happen. I now know. It cracks and sometimes the plywood separates and lifts and sometimes bits crack or splinter off. Now the decision is "do I sand this?" Sanding=re-painting. Re-painting = painting all of it not just touch-ups which are just as annoying as you need to match the colour and most of these are mixes of colours anyway and now with 2 years of sun bleaching. It's a total re-paint. My client has been away and is back today and wanted the figures done for today but there was no way I could do it. As it is, I need today to spend on it, and have to leave at 3:30 to get the car in to have its snowtires put on. After that I need to prepare for my weekend-away workshop () called Painterly Monotypes. Printmaking done like a painter would do it. I am sure I know the methods but I haven't done this much. I am excited to take the class and may teach something like this locally. That's the other side of going to this. I'll be there overnight on Saturday. DH is staying home. It's the last weekend of his holidays poor thing! At least he had uninterrupted time away this time. Monday I have to pack my mother's room up as she is moving to another room on the floor below. It's got kind of a basement-y feel to it down there, which I loathe, but it's where the "action" is (more staff), so this is better for her as she will see people more often, and less snacks. Right now she has to walk pass the trays of cookies and sweets to go to the lobby where people congregate, but never talk, (yes), and so every time she passes the bistro with the cookies she says Oh! Cookies! Want! and grabs a few. With no short term memory and lots of desire to walk, she sees these cookies several times a day. OH! Cookies! Want! and fills up on them making her not want her real meals. So the move will happen on Tuesday. My friend will help me pack on Monday in the late afternoon. The maintenance guy will do the move. He'll probably break stuff. I am wondering if I need to be there. I will probably need to be there. I think it will be marginally better in this new location but what would be best would be if she was moved out of there into the next facility. That would be best. Oh well. My sister is supposed to be taking care of the details of this move and she is falling down on her end which is stressing me out. I need to let it go. But I feel very angry. Whenever I am reminded of how much care how much attention I have to do with my mom, on my own, I get very angry. When she reminds me that mum is running out of money and we have to be careful, all I know is DH has been footing the bill for the extras for over a year now without getting reimbursed because there is little money. Being reminded of this makes me mad too. "Being mad" does nothing but make it a little less likely that I will fight off food. It's poison to me and I can't wallow or indulge myself with it. There are so many good things with all these situations that frustrate me that I need to stay with those thoughts. Yesterday I didn't eat light. I didn't eat light the day before either. My weight goes up and down 0.7lbs. For a few months now +/- 0.7lbs. It's incredible that I am so stable. My body seems to love 276/277. My heart, however, does not.

Must go. Have to get out of here by 9am.

Will check back in later.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:21 AM   #145  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Oops, I promised I'd write last night. We went to dinner and a play with my brother -- I'm not sure what made me think I'd be up to posting after that. Fun night!

I really, really liked having a food plan yesterday. The day feels so much more relaxed when I'm not thinking about food because it's already planned. So, why am I resisting making a plan for today? Okay. It's done now.

The emotional eating bit on the Success Skills Sheet helped me. It says "I calmed down before I ate." That seems like something I could do with practice, and I practiced it twice yesterday. Feels a bit like saying a blessing before a meal.

I give myself about an 80% overall on the Success Skills Sheet. Today, I want to keep working on "calm down before I eat" and "give myself credit."

Credit for trying out the Success Skills sheet even when I knew I couldn't be perfect. Credit for pre-selecting the restaurant meal with a pledge to eat no more than 3/4 of what I was served -- and doing it! Credit for managing to get a walk in on a very busy day.

WI: -0.45 kg, Exercise: +30 480/1200 minutes for November, Food: 90% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 11-14-2014, 11:36 AM   #146  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

A blessed day off. Food in MFP yesterday and a whole week relief from Manufactured Chemical Sweets at work. This is a big deal. Future credit for step class in a half an hour.

Nice late morning with DH and DS. DH had bins of pecans parked in front of our house to take to the dryer this morning. Nary one was touched but some hoodlums stole sodas out of the cooler in the back of our truck a couple of weeks ago. We will know the world is getting healthier when the nuts are chosen by the youth over sodas.

Sushi tonight then a high school production of Into the Woods. Friend's daughter is playing violin in it.Very excited to have DS see all the possibilities you have when you play an instrument.

Wave to all. Off to step.

Last edited by maryann; 11-14-2014 at 11:37 AM.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:55 PM   #147  
in development

No new low today. The number went up, probably as a result of all the heavy exercise yesterday. The body will be hanging on to water to repair the tissues.

The wood has arrived. I shifted and roughly stacked the whole load out of the way of our neighbours’ cars in 20 mins. Cardio, flexibility, strength. Credit. The SO barrowed it up to the house. I banged out a quick proposal for some work with a cold pack on my back. Credit for being flexible about work. Then I began to stack the logs in our wood shelters. Collected the DB and decided against doing any more stacking. Credit for being sensible. I’ve suggested that the DB should stack the rest over the weekend and he seemed agreeable.

Ate a bit more than usual today, and the pea and ham soup was slightly too salty (credit for making something good for a wood delivery day lunch), and I’ve done a lot of exercise with weights today. All this to say that I expect my weight to be up tomorrow. Credit for being realistic.

WI: up 1lb. Exercise: YES - stacking logs quickly and stacking logs slowly. Spontaneous exercise: NO. Written food plan: YES. Last night’s sleep: 6 marks out of 10.

Once again, I've run out of time. See you tomorrow. Sleep well - when it's your bedtime. I am getting into my nightclothes as soon as I sign off.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:15 PM   #148  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Good afternoon coaches,

Food planned and within calories yesterday and it will be today, credit. No exercise to get credit for today, but I think it's time I get a few things done at home and I have. It's a cloudy day here today and feels very cozy. It is 71 degrees, so not at all cold. I'm making split pea with ham soup and cooking a chicken to make into an enchilada casserole in the morning.

I had lunch with my old co-workers which is always a treat and picked up the book, Being Mortal, from my friend who has finished it. I worked closely with these women for six years. We always call it Therapy Group.

The most difficult thing for me about no hike is that I don't have extra calories to play with. I'm not having a hungry day so I'm glad for that.

Have a great weekend!
Old 11-14-2014, 04:47 PM   #149  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Hi coaches!
my back is better, thanks for good wishes! a little tingly so i will watch it. between that and a minor foot pain, and generally feeling of bleagh, i haven't been exercising for awhile, so need to get back on the bandwagon!
haven't been too bad with eating but not stellar either- need to make a plan for the weekend, but at least no major temptations are coming up for the next week!

Sounds like many folks are doing well and/or getting back on track, which is awesome! always good to be inspired by others.

I have been thinking of trying apple cider vinegar for my occasional stomach issues now that i've discontinued my med. Has anyone ever used it? it seems to be the wonder drug used for all sorts of things. I like trying alternative ideas at times but not making things worse either.
happy friday!
Old 11-14-2014, 06:31 PM   #150  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Hello! Deciding to check in with a hot cup of tea now and hopefully avoid any temptation to snack - DH is just getting off work and expect him home in about an hour and a half. Figuring on burrito bowls for dinner since I've put that off for days for no valid reason. Chicken is already cooked! Have roasted a pan of carrots/onions to have as a side tonight and tomorrow, whether it meshes with the dinner or not, really.

Cat's surgery went fine today, thank goodness. She's still a bit loopy and I'm checking on her but leaving her to be quiet. $$$.

Food OP today - proud of stringing another day together. Scale slowly dropping - under 163 now, just barely. Was telling myself I needed to be at 155 to start 2015 ... and I think I need to just focus on one pound/week and work toward that. So next Saturday's goal is to be under 162 and I'll just work my way down instead of aiming grand and falling short. Slow progress is better than none...

Goal for tomorrow is to bundle up and walk the trail with our pooch. Temps will be cold but the 20s will be warmer than yours, Lexxiss!

No grand thoughts here - just wanted to stay accountable this evening!
Closed Thread