Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 12:35 PM   #241  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

I almost typed morning coaches- oops, its the afternoon already!

Went off plan yesterday when I bought fudge at church, intending to give everyone a little treat later....then DS and I ate it all in a moment of bonding! Really not sure why I bought it- I think a sentimental thing, I associate it with church boutiques and fall fairs. well, its gone and done, move on.

Bad weather seems to be coming in the next few days so we may have to change our travel plans. Credit for thinking of flexible plans and gently urging DH to think about doing the same (instead of hitting him over the head with it in panic as I normally do. not literally).

Maryann- I just saw the Sugar Impact book yesterday in the bookstore! Haven't bought it yet but was intrigued, I will follow your journey with interest. your sugar issue is totally mine as well, it is my constant struggle.
Bill -it bugs me that its easier to skip it all than to have only one item- YES! I cannot do just one.
CeeJay- Sorry you're discouraged- hang in there and good for you for checking in! I identify with the ups and downs and re-starting.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:09 PM   #242  

Height: 5' 2"

Fantastic weather here today, very windy but sunny with 72 degrees!!!

I can't go out to walk or to take some more stuff down in the garden. I cut the tip of my toe OFF and shoes are so terribly uncomfortable!!! Blood everywhere and DH can't take seeing blood. Thank goodness DD lives with us and even offered the hiking experience solution. Raw potato has ability to help stop bleeding and was often carried with them when they hiked.

She made a shreaded patch of raw potato, warmed it a bit in the microwave, then molded it around my cut and bleeding toe. By the time she also put a bit of gauze and tape around this, I could put a sock over the whole mess and at least sit in the recliner. Next day, far better, but my calves are aching as I walk trying to keep my hurt toe from hitting the ground. Oh, well, the bleeding is stopped, healing begins, and I'm retired so I'm not missing work.

Yesterday we 3 went to Art Reception where DD has some of her beautiful oil paintings of flowers from the garden. Had such a fun day, met some great people, and ate the most fantastic Salmon with horseradish covering and fried green tomatoes, with broccoli for Dinner. Such a large serving of Salmon, I have enough for dinner tonight.

Thanks to each of you for sharing your lives here. I thoroughly enjoyed reading what I had missed.

Understand the problem with Church bake sales. Pumpkin bread was great at ours last week.

Good to hear the landscaping company is making much needed adjustments to the full remodeling job. May the new shrubs and adjustment to the watering have the garden and the house looking fantastic by the first of the year.

I envy the opportunities Bill has for plays, concerts, etc. We travel 25 miles for some, and it is limited even then.

Chocolate chips MUST stay at the store. I used to mix them with coconut and peanutbutter and zap in microwave a short time, then eat with a spoon. Satisfied a strong need for sweets now that we keep all such away from the house. Now, we keep nuts only, but no chips potato or chocolate chips.

I remember taking Mom to the nursing home for the last 6 months of her life. I was grateful for the help they would give and knowing the safety because the head nurse was a friend. Mom did fine there, but being so far gone with Alzheimers and Osteoporosis, she didn't understand what was going on around her and could only get around with a wheelchair. She did love the desserts that they lavished her with (and I tried to keep away from her here at home.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:21 PM   #243  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Two trips to sort out some decorating tool problems today (Bill and Debbie know what I mean). Looking at the list, I’ve done a lot. That’s helpful as it feels as though I’ve done nothing but run about all day. Food could have been better but it wasn’t off the scale.

WI: −1.5lb. Exercise: YES - Flexibility. Spontaneous exercise: NO. Written food plan: YES. Last night’s sleep: 7 marks out of 10.

See you tomorrow.

ETA love2garden - cut off the top of your toe? How on earth??

Mountain Mamma, I work between a number of languages. I sometimes do translations and the Italian translation tutor job at the university has just happened along recently. It's not what I think of as my 'real' work, though.

Last edited by silverbirch; 11-24-2014 at 03:27 PM.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:39 PM   #244  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Fly-by tonight - food OP until after dinner- two snacks totaling about 250 calories that I seriously didn't need. ARGH. Trying to think of some credits for today - good breakfast and lunch, even eating out with coworkers. Tomorrow is another day. (Thanks, Scarlett O'Hara) ... Super busy work day and reached in my drawer for snack after snack. Skipped them but went off plan tonight - most likely because I didn't write anything down and conveniently forgot where I was calorie-wise.

Work for me is super busy this week - with most of Thursday off, but right back with it on Friday and Saturday. Lots of detail work and checking and crosschecking. This weekend and one in May are the most stressful ones I have workwise and am vowing to not turn to food for calm.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:46 PM   #245  

S/C/G: 165/132/125 or 115? not sure

Height: 5'4" (on a good-hair day!)

Bah, spoke too soon about yesterday's successful potluck. It was held earlier than we usually eat. So of course DH has 'second dinner' after we returned home and after my post. And I joined him as we cleared various leftovers out of the fridge. Could have been worse I guess. More phone issues & time wasted with 'customer service' today, etc. No exercise. Lesson learned in posting successes too soon I guess.

Love2garden - how horrific about your toe but marvelous the potato worked. Poor potatoes, so maligned in today's low-carb world!

Silverbirch, quite impressed by the "number of languages" with which you work. Gotta admire that!

Hello to everyone, more later, it's late!
Old 11-25-2014, 04:57 AM   #246  
in development

gardenerjoy, sending you calming and fortifying thoughts as you move through whatever today brings.
Old 11-25-2014, 05:11 AM   #247  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – CREDIT moi for doing half of my to-do list. Seems that buying a turkey just a tad bigger than I had been asked overlooked that our roasting pan doesn't accommodate the larger size. So I had to go back to the store and buy a one-use aluminum pan - along with about a zillion other shoppers. The good news is that the brine is prepared and is cooling in the fridge waiting to join the turkey to do their thing together all day today.

Exercise was working to clear the last stuck downspout, CREDIT moi. It's next to the electrical service drop to the house making it an unattractive place to lean a ladder. Food was on plan, CREDIT moi, including only one snack for the day - raspberries for evening snack. I just savored them one at a time with no topping. Felt like the Garden of Eden.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Kudos for making choices with your time - and sticking to them. Hats off to all of you out there who supported democratic protests without violence.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Per the plan, "planned for a treat" - great to see Beck strategies demonstrated. I wince a bit at the thought of two 'setting' pies within my reach.

silverbirch – I recognize this, "nothing but run about all day." Kudos for keeping the tool search to only two trips.

maryann - 110 Kudos for keeping the log. Wishing I was there at Yosemite with you.

nationalparker – Thanks for quoting my second favorite Cognitive Behavior Therapist, Scarlett O'Hara, "Tomorrow is another day." Kudos for skipping those snacks during a super busy day at work.

Karen (karenrn) - Congrats for another pound gone. Good to hear that there will be satisfaction with your landscaping work.

curlypudge - Yep, 'fudge bonding' is a superb entry for Sabotaging Thought of the year, from a guy who bonded with his DW over a HUGE 'piece' of fudge in the Adirondacks this summer.

Mountain Mamma - Off-schedule meals are a challenge when the brain broadcasts the Sabotaging Thought that it's time to eat, NOW. "Customer service" is becoming an oxymoron.

love2garden - That toe sounds dramatic; do you plan to take it to a doctor today? I too enjoyed our unexpectedly warm East Coast day. Congrats to your DD for her exhibited art work.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 28 Get Ready to Weigh In

Don't even think about trying to skimp on food today in order to have a more favorable outcome tomorrow. You need to squarely face whatever number you see on the scale. And eating too little today might set you up for going overboard in the following day or two.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 204.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:19 AM   #248  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Yesterday OP and a little under calories. Exercise at work and short weight routine at home. Credit. A very busy day. I work then pick up my sis at the airport. Planned a longer post but was interrupted by phone call from DH. We talked for awhile since we've received confirmation that we can pick up our new rescue pup (Senior dog) in Kansas on Friday. 560m one way....seems I never do anything simple lol.

Gardenerjoy, sending my supportive thoughts today as you walk through this difficult time. I have to remind myself, sometimes when things are so out of my control that the best option I have is to take the very small part of my world and give that small space my very best. Take care.

Rushing a bit now. Take care everyone!
Old 11-25-2014, 10:56 AM   #249  
Green Tomatoes

Going through the motions today, which points out one of the strongest pieces of the Beck program. My motions include a food plan and posting here. That's all I need to have a good eating day. Thanks for being here, everyone!
Old 11-25-2014, 02:22 PM   #250  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

GardenerJoy - thinking of you and your circumstances. I can't imagine what living in the middle of the uncertainty and pain being acted out must feel like. Wishing you well and sending supportive thoughts

Waving to everyone. Will be back soon but just getting through at the moment
Old 11-25-2014, 04:11 PM   #251  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Good afternoon coaches,

I have veered off plan a bit last night and today. A bit over calories last night with an added ice cream and today I had an unplanned toast with jam snack. I think I can keep my calories within limits today. Credit for stopping now . . . at least I think I am stopping now.

No exercise today. Saw the Hunger Games Mockingjay movie this morning. I didn't think it was as good as the first two but of course I had to see it.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your area, Joy. I'm sure there is so much more to know than just what is shown on the news. I hope peace comes soon.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:51 PM   #252  
in development

Another day where I didn’t seem to be making headway but, looking back, I’ve edged things along in the right direction. Things = shopping, exercise, publications, caulking, Christmas plans (or non-plans as we have to remain flexible because of medical stuff in other parts of the country), making food and general troubleshooting. Once again, food could have been better but it wasn’t off the scale.

Tomorrow I hope to find time and space to write an advantage card and a response card. I’ve decided to use actual, physical ones this time round. I had them on the phone last time and although I refreshed them and rewrote them, after a while they seemed to lose any power. Is this something that any of you have found?

Sorry there’s no time to speak to you all individually. It really helps me to do that but everything is running away with me and I must get into bed in good time. And lights out in good time too.

WI: no change. Exercise: YES - Flexibility. Spontaneous exercise: bending and stretching whilst decorating. Written food plan: YES. Last night’s sleep: 6.5 marks out of 10.

Wishing you all peace and tranquillity. See you tomorrow.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:53 PM   #253  

Height: 5' 2"

Joy: Prayers for peace and safety continue to be sent your way for all people.

Exercise still not possible, but at least I finally was able to put on shoes so I could get around outside while it is still warm. Mostly just looking, no gardening this time.

Tomorrow I'll go to gym for arm exercises and recumbent bike to at least get my heart rate up.

DD fixed veggie dinner and I still had a bit of delicious salmon from trip to restaurant on Sunday. Lunch was DH's delicious carrot/parsnip soup with yogurt stirred in to make it more creamy. Absolutely the most beautiful soup and best tasting ever!!! How easy to be eating healthy with those two cooking!
Old 11-26-2014, 06:41 AM   #254  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Hi Coaches!

Yesterday was under calories and plenty of exercise was had....a very busy day at work. The original plan was to pick up sis at the airport and stop for dinner. I had a plan for that. When I got home from work she texted me she was on the plane and suggested I just bring her sushi and we not stop on the way home. I needed to accommodate that. I had a chefs mistake, vegetarian burrito, which I had brought home. After not eating all day it would give me sustenance for the RT. I ate part of it, and it wasn't very good. I considered my options, AlaBeck, and pitched the rest in the compost. Credit. I'd had enough that I could make the RT but decided I'd rather enjoy my planned snack when I got home. It's amazing sometimes, but it's just not worth it to me anymore to ingest something I'm not enjoying. Credit moi!

I'm on the run this morning. We're headed over the passes in a snowstorm but will beat the traffic and be at the pool for opening at 9. We're going to cook our official meal today and I'll enjoy it : not in excess but with the knowledge that I took time to think it through and plan healthfully.

Friday morning we head to Kansas to meet our new pup. It's a very long drive and I'm excited for something new. Fortunately, we can pack our healthy turkey sandwiches, one of my old time favorites.

Take care everyone!
Old 11-26-2014, 06:54 AM   #255  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Did most of what I set out to do, CREDIT moi, especially since my walk, CREDIT moi, included stopping at five (5.0) stores! That's more multi-tasking shopping than is my want. By the time I got to Trader Joe's my brain was no longer working. The plan was no samples (I had just stood down some 8 offerings at Whole Foods) but it was Pecan Pie! I failed to note that it was "Miniature Pecan Pie" which means all crust with a touch of sweet syrup on it. I fell for it, Ouch. Then, feeling like a failure, I gobbled a sample of apple pie without pausing to think. Double Ouch. The only silver lining was that it was good apple pie. I was still within my food plan, with snacks, for the day - CREDIT moi.

Excitement was preparing the snow blower for winter. A light snow is predicted for today - not snow blower worthy, just enough to make Thanksgiving travelers miserable. Prep was oil change and a new spark plug. I was psyched that I still own a spark plug wrench and knew exactly where to find it even though it's been at least twenty years since I've tuned my own engine and replaced spark plugs. (Yes, I had the feeler gauges to properly set the gap.) CREDIT moi for a guy whose history would suggest he'd be changing the oil in freezing cold with snow on the ground.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Continuing to send supportive thoughts as you guys work to bring it under control. A plan and a post are Kudos worthy.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Good grief! Kansas is over there in another state. Hope you take time visit the sights. Congrats on your new adoption.

silverbirch – Love that 'caulking' is included with Christmas decorating. My Response Cards are in an Excel file; interesting to consider real index cards to help regain their impact.

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) – Waving back as you work the moments in front of you.

Karen (karenrn) - Yep, Kudos for both the action and the recognition, "Credit for stopping now." I read all three of the Hunger Games books in mesmerized non-stop reading marathons, yet feel no need to see the movies. They've drawn large crowds around here.

love2garden - Kudos for moving as you can without looking for excuses to just sit. Jealous of your attentive chefs.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 28 Get Ready to Weigh In

what are you thinking?
Sabotaging thoughts about weighting yourself might surface tomorrow if you're disappointed by the number you see on the scale. Prepare yourself today for these thoughts by making Response Cards.

Based on the experiences of the dieters I've counseled, I can guess that your thoughts might go in one of three directions, depending on the number that appears on the scale.

Scenario No. 1: You lost what you consider to be a lot of weight.
Sabotaging Thought: That's great! I'm going to keep losing weight fast!
Helpful Response: Yes, it's great that I've lost this much weight. I did a good job following my diet this week. But I probably won't continue to lose weight this quickly.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 204.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 11-26-2014 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Typo
Closed Thread