Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 09:50 AM   #211  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Yesterday went even more cattywampus than I expected, but eating was fine (CREDIT!) and the car is ready for winter (only 4 days after making us housebound in our first winter storm). We had a nice evening with the nephew and bride -- taking photos at the preview of the holiday show at the Missouri Botanical Garden. CREDIT for enjoying the people and events that make life fun.

Busy days. Continuing in the Beck book is taking a backseat to other things (including NaNoWriMo -- I caught up yesterday!). That's okay. I have a food plan for today (CREDIT!) and I have reported to my coaches (CREDIT! and thank you!) and that's good enough for today. CREDIT for accepting the reality of this day.

WI: -0.2 kg, Exercise: +20 715/1200 minutes for November, Food: NA op, Read my Advantages and Responses: no

nationalparker: give yourself huge CREDIT for getting out of line when you were already in it. That's great Beck work, there!

onebyone: that's a lot going on! So glad that your mother is getting to a place that you think will work better for her. Take a deep breath. If this is better in the long run than you, and she, can handle it in the short run. It sounds like the new facility may have the expertise to be a real help with the transition.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:37 AM   #212  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Morning coaches!
well, I resisted the ice cream cake..but only because I had cheesecake right before! A co-worker brought a small one in to split with four of us, to celebrate the end of a bad situation, and I did indulge. I could have chosen not to, but that didn't feel right to me and that was okay.
I did manage to go to bed actually feeling hunger which I rarely do! And feel asleep without a problem, so there goes one of my irrational beliefs, that I won't be able to sleep if I'm hungry. Now that I've done it, I know I can do it again. Right now I am hungry again, but telling myself my plan is not to eat until 12:00 and I can wait.

Bill- my parents did indeed give me the huge favor of clearing out their house when they moved. It is a great gift for ones kids, but definitely something that can wait or be done in small spurts. Having a small house helps me keep decluttering at times, but there is still a lot to get rid of here.
Onebyone- Hope the move goes/went well. These transitions are hard on everyone but sounds like it will be well worth it in the long run.
love2garden- that's funny, I find wool too scratchy, restricting and hard to wash! I prefer polartech type material if I have the name right. Although I guess wool blankets are super warm.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:56 PM   #213  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

I think I’m more worried about our stressful areas than I let on. Today was another day when food was less than good. It went to pieces because I didn’t write out a food plan, nor did I make my lunch and snacks in advance. I did manage to get rid of half a dozen things on the list, though, and I’m preening myself about that. Credit! I also had a very nice lunch made by the DB (left-over salmon in an omelette with salad). Credit!

Avoiding computer torpor is also a good thing which I should do more.

WI: no change. Exercise: YES - Flexibility. Spontaneous exercise: NO. Written food plan: NO. Last night’s sleep: 7 marks out of 10.

Karen, I get very tired of workmen round the house, however nice they are. It's a very strange kind of existence.

love2garden, some good credits there! This pizza stuff seems to be a dangerous 'thing' in North America! Maybe it is here too. We sometimes make it but it's rare nowadays. Anyway, good to hear about your calories shock - if you see what I mean!

nationalparker, close shave at Rally's! Credit for getting yourself out of it in time.

Mountain Mamma, glad you checked in and it's always good to hear when someone is on plan with food. It encourages me!

onebyone, I'm so pleased that your mother is moving to a better establishment. They will have experience in helping new residents to settle in, I'm sure, and then your mother will start to benefit from it all. And so will you.

Bill, it could be seen as a sign of love if you went through all your stuff so your kids would benefit. And you might find something of great value which you'd stashed and forgotten!

gardenerjoy, I can't thank you enough for introducing me to the word 'cattywampus'. I see it means 'not aligned correctly' which is what I'd call 'skewiff', I think. Interesting. Glad your eating was fine, despite all the rest.

curlypudge, when I go to bed feeling slightly hungry then I'm usually losing weight. I think it might be maryann who finds the same thing.

Must go now to collect the SO from the station. See you tomorrow. I'm planning a better food day tomorrow.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:10 PM   #214  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

How I lose track of the days when I am at work. Students and teachers trip over each other racing toward the big week holiday. I got to start mine early today. But not sleep in - off to my yearly physical. Sigh for gratitude that all numbers look good except weight. I have officially gained 9 pounds since last year when I was at weight goal. As MountainMomma and Nationalparker have discussed, a "loosey goosey" maintenance program is slang for slow weight gain. I will soon be out of my new clothes if this continues.

Credit for asking the nurse to check the two numbers. I would rather live in the truth.

So I am putting in effort to try yet again to find a plan I can work with. I am reading my advantage cards morning and night and increasing exercise. For today I will do some more research matching what I know about myself and what I know about healthy living.I have to be easy with myself tomorrow however. We have our annual Pecan Picking ( I laugh at all you nut lovers My 25 pound box of chandler halves was just delivered from our coop along with pistachios and the soon to be cracked pecans. But I would trade them all for spoonfuls of sugar straight out of the bag. Drat!). 80+ people come to our ranch and pick the unharvested nuts. Then we have a huge potluck. Instead of making promises I won't keep, I will make an oath from this moment until I go to bed on Saturday evening. I will not eat standing up.

The important thing for me to focus on is that I look better today than I ever have in my life But. . . I have to keep focused. What is the analogy - swimming up stream etc. . .

Last edited by maryann; 11-21-2014 at 03:15 PM.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:58 PM   #215  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,

Only exercise today is housework. Staying home to manage the workers. Good thing too, one of the accent tiles was wrong and the painters painted the wrong color on something again. The electrician did a great job installing the new lighting though. I've done some mopping and cupboard cleaning and organizing and have decided I need a new strategy. I think I truly do need to keep a list. I used to do this all the time and somehow have gotten away from it. It seems like I'm not getting so much done these days. A lot of wasted time. Part of the problem is I have plenty of time, but I want to be a bit more organized and productive.

I'm beginning to worry about my Thanksgiving eating. We are going to some good friends where we will stay two nights. We are both pretty good cooks and the food will be great. We are not planning a diet dinner. Therefore my plan needs to be portion control. She is short and has lost 40 pounds or so over the last couple of years simply by really watching her portions. I need to follow her lead. My goal is to be very careful until Thanksgiving and then remember it is one day, not the beginning of the season of eating.

Well, I'm going to get my list started. More later,

Karen
Old 11-21-2014, 08:52 PM   #216  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Well, 40 days until 2015 ... and if I keep up the current trend, I'll be close to 170 - in the wrong direction. That said, I apparently have to do more than just worry about it.

Goal for tomorrow - no in-between meal eating. I tend to rummage around more on the weekends, and can easily boil water and make a cup of hot tea and quiet my mind with that.

DH is at work tonight. My evening has been full of basically nothing following an early dinner. Some financial stuff, some trip researching, and I know a hot bubble bath will be on the agenda. Was planning to do a fire, but I won't be staying up too late, so figured I'd start one early tomorrow if crummy out. I just found out that we're to have freezing rain and they're saying ice accumulation of quarter inch. Where did this come from? I heard 55 degrees. Apparently their forecast changed.

Staved off Donut Friday and apparently, Fudge Friday as well today. Brought my lunch and ate it before running an errand. Credit. Good breakfast as well, so credit there. Dinner, however, was a bit of the leftover chicken casserole and then was still "not full" and decided to boil up two small potatoes and mash 'em and ate that. I clearly didn't need that and have been beating myself up over it instead of just accepting what I chose to do and moving on. I would have been just as happy w/o the casserole and JUST with the potato and a side salad.

Still haven't cracked open the green Beck book, but plan to sit down with it in the morning and start in on it. I love weekend mornings when I can progress on relaxing things at my own speed. DH will be sleeping and I can be quiet with the pets and just "be" ... I clearly need a mental reset heading into the next five weeks. Proud of ignoring the donuts, though. Others walk by and snag one, and then another, and I feel a bit jealous that others can eat and enjoy without an inner battle (or at least one visible to me).
Old 11-21-2014, 10:17 PM   #217  

S/C/G: 165/132/125 or 115? not sure

Height: 5'4" (on a good-hair day!)

Trying not to panic because Thanksgiving is LESS THAN A WEEK AWAY . . .

. . . and there's SO MUCH TO DO. It's such a nice holiday and deserves to be greeted with tranquility and thankfulness. Not stress and over-tiredness. Time to get organized!!

Thank you all for the Maintenance tips. Silverbirch, We do have a nut cracker and that probably would help! I buy shelled nuts 'for baking'. Of course, I could start a bakery with the amount of chocolate chips & nuts purchased; very few end up in finished goods.

Lexxis - I like how you extended the Beck practices into other areas; I need to do that as I have a problem with balance. (See above!)

Nationalparker - ha, have had my Beck books among the stack on my table & every night reach for . . . another book. After ignoring the donuts, don't worry about two small potatoes! You won the big battle!

Karen - sounds like you will have a great Thanksgiving and that sounds like a good plan, it IS one day.

maryann, congrats on the good numbers!

Quote:
Gardenerjoy - "I'll know if my allergy treatment is going well at the end of February when the maple and cedar trees get promiscuous."

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes View Post
Diet Coaches/Buddies – My clothes would last forever if they didn't go through the wash cycle. -
Yeah, BBE, but your friendships might not!
You, SilverBirch and Curley talk about decluttering for the sake of the kids, while I take perverse delight in telling them, when they see the basement, "Some day, this will ALL be yours!"

Last edited by Mountain Mamma; 11-22-2014 at 11:07 AM.
Old 11-22-2014, 08:07 AM   #218  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Saturday - National Adoption Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walk, CREDIT moi, included picking up a book at the library for DW. Seems that it's even easier for her to get a book by just asking me since I'll eventually get past one library or another. Fun exercise was folk dancing last night. There are some dedicated people keeping alive the old music of Eastern Europe; don't know if similar groups exist over there.

The city planted four trees on the street nearby - a hopeful sign. I mourn every tree cut down even when they are Norway Maples - an awful tree with surface roots that prevent anything else from growing under then. It's an act of faith to see an eight foot tree and visualize shade.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yep, Kudos for sanity despite the 'cattywampus ' - whose definition is in the link which includes a reference across the pond, second element perhaps related to Scottish wampish "to wriggle, twist, or swerve about." Perhaps your subconscious is still remembering your trip to Great Britain.

silverbirch – Indeed, "preening" over a declining to-do list is encouraged. I drool over the thought of left-over salmon.

maryann - Such a happy thought, "I look better today than I ever have in my life." I do know about this "loosey goosey" business.

nationalparker – Super Kudos for "Staved off Donut Friday and apparently, Fudge Friday as well" - the fudge would be hard for me.

Karen (karenrn) - Good Thanksgiving reminder for me, "one day, not the beginning of the season of eating." Congrats for catching those contractor errors early when they can be fixed easily.

curlypudge - Never heard of an ice cream cake in November "to celebrate the end of a bad situation." Kudos for resisting.

Mountain Mamma - LOL at "I could start a bakery with the amount of chocolate chips & nuts purchased" - wonder if research has ever been done on what percentage of chocolate chips made it into baking.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 27 Master the Seven Questions Technique

what are you thinking?
If you continue to feel resistant about creating Response Cards, be sure to apply the Seven Question Technique to the sabotaging thoughts that are getting in your way.

Sabotaging Thought: I've always thought this way. I don't think I can change my thinking.
Helpful Response: This is a skill that I can learn. It wasn't easy learning how to drive a car or to ride a bike, but I eventually got good at those things. If I practice, I can get good at responding to my sabotaging thinking.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 202.
Old 11-22-2014, 09:31 AM   #219  
Green Tomatoes

Another quick report. Tomorrow I hope to linger and move on the green book.

Yesterday's eating and exercise went well. CREDIT for resisting a craving that I fully intended to cave into. Channeling nationalparker, I made a better choice at the last minute.

WI: -0.1 (new low) kg, Exercise: +45 760/1200 minutes for November, Food: 90% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: no
Old 11-22-2014, 11:35 AM   #220  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

I apologize if this repeats itself, i am having trouble sending it!
Hi coaches!
Its definitely different trying to read this forum on the weekend, I have been interrupted about 5 times now!!

Deep cleansing sigh. Okay, onwards. I dealt with feeling hungry for parts of the day yesterday which was a good exercise. then i got tired of it and overate at dinner, but did resist the siren call of a poptart late in the evening. And snuck in a walk in the cold afternoon, I am getting back to exercising slowly, so credits for some of the day.

DD was pestering me to have choc. chips sitting around in case she wanted to make cookies sometime. Um, no. She claims she could hide them from me and not get into them until baking time. i have a hard time believing this based on prior experience It remains a tricky balance to provide desserts for some of the family and stay the course for myself. I suppose I could ask DH to hide the chips from both of us, he wouldn't eat them....

I have to start thinking about Thanksgiving too! We are going to see m-in-law who is still not doing well, so I will either cook or we will have a dinner prepared from a restaurant, which may be the easier thing to do as we have to travel there to another state etc.
Silverbirch- wishing you peace for your stressful areas.
Maryann- sorry to hear an increase from last year, that is frustrating. But you have a good attitude about it as usual. i am always impressed with your positive insightful ways of thinking. Pecan Picking Potluck sounds fun!
MountainMamma- "Someday all this will be yours" - Love it! you have a great sense of humor!
Old 11-22-2014, 01:03 PM   #221  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Good morning coaches,

Well I learned something new yesterday. A person can hike in the afternoon. I am used to getting out hiking in the morning and then being done for the day, come home, clean up and go on with the day. Yesterday afternoon, after I posted I figured I still had time for a hike. It was lovely. I just did the Gateway Loop which takes about 90 minutes, credit. The weather was in the high 60's and it looked so different just because the light was different than morning. I'm going to keep it in mind that I can switch things up. Food was planned and within calories, credit.

Today I might learn another new thing, we'll see. I did my volunteer greeting job at the trailhead this morning. I'm going to a Swedish Bazaar with a friend, so I figure I better not eat before cause I might want something there. I'm hoping they have something worth eating or that I find I can actually miss a meal and not die. I'll let you know how it goes.

More tomorrow,
Old 11-22-2014, 01:34 PM   #222  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Hi Coaches!

Didn't make it here yesterday but stayed within my calories and found success with many other Beck tasks. Credit.
Random thoughts:
Last night I offer ed to drive my mom to a meeting she couldn't have attended otherwise. As usual, I try to think ahead. My Plan: No eating at the meeting.
Sabotaging thought: But I don't even know what they might have.
Response: Don't eat, anyway.

Today I decided my "exercise" would be cleaning and crossing off items from the procrastinated list. I've done a lot and I think I'll find reward by finishing a book I'm reading and enjoy my planned lunch; a super yummy and healthy salad. Credit.

BBE, yay for folk dancing and new trees planted!

Mountain Mamma, I am finding through Beck, that I can plan ahead and enjoy tranquility and thankfulness during holidays. I try and accomplish all my household stuff first….shop early….do a little baking/prepping and let go of the stuff that just becomes "too much". Best wishes in your quest to get organized.

nationalparker, I'll share a cup of tea with you today! I'm having organic peppermint! Kudos for saying no to office treats-good practice we know it's the time of year it wil be getting worse.

karenrn, yay for progress forward on your project and great that you got out for an afternoon hike! Kudos for a healthy thought out response to Thanksgiving eating. I think it's great you have a friend who enjoys portion control!

maryann, kudos for working on your food/exercise plan!

silverbirch, sorry you are feeling some worry and stress. Good, though, that you can identify why your food day went to pieces. It gives you a thoughtful fix. You asked me about tracking food when it's more than usual. Sometimes I just have to guess and I try to be thoughtful and guess on the high side. I am using Livestrong on my phone. It's much simpler on phone and although there might be a better app….all my info is already there. I don't want to (and don't) always keep track but I find it useful information when the scale is creeping up.

curlypudge, I agree, there are a few instances when refusing something is not appropriate….make up for it elsewhere, which you did. credit.

gardenerjoy, yay for a plain ol' good food/exercise day acknowledging that planning helps! Kudos for resisting a "choice already made".

onebyone, I hope your mom is settling in.
Old 11-22-2014, 03:08 PM   #223  
in development

Almost a full day at work with food packed and a list to get through. I also did half a flexibility session there. Credit for just getting on with things. Thank you for your words of support about our stressful areas. They are much appreciated.

WI: −0.75lb. Exercise: YES - ½ Flexibility. Spontaneous exercise: NO. Written food plan: YES. Last night’s sleep: 7 marks out of 10.

maryann, I will join you in not eating when standing up. Let's sit down together and be civilised. Hope the Pecan Picking Potluck goes well.

karen, I'm very keen on lists. In the past couple of days I've made a fantastic improvement to my usual paper list in handwriting or scrawl, depending on speed. Now, I write each task in capitals and then put a box around it. It's helping me to see the importance of each task, to ring-fence (that word again!) each one and to recognise that I may need to regroup between each one. I think that I'm becoming more productive which is good as it should release more time to do things I want to do! Good luck with portion control! And I like the sound of your afternoon walk.

nationalparker, hope you manage some quiet time just to 'be'. I can't operate without it.

Mountain Mamma, sending you virtual assistance!

Bill, good to hear about the folk dancing. Have you branched out to Eastern Europe now?

gardenerjoy, an impressive body swerve! Yes, nationalparker is a role model to us all in this!

curlypudge, 'deep cleansing sigh' - I'm going to practise those. Thanks for making me think about them.

Debbie, credit for staying within calories. And for rewarding yourself so well with reading and a salad.

See you tomorrow when I hope I can report that the DB and I have made further headway on painting the sitting room.
Old 11-22-2014, 08:44 PM   #224  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Exclamation just ticking off the boxes

Coaches

A bone-weary hello from here.

I completed the first of three craft shows today. This place I live is unfathomable to me. I cannot get a handle on what people want or like. I suspect that because my values, wants and desires are not those of the suburban culture I am missing the mark with my goods. The people seem, for the most part, humourless. I have refused to conclude this but I think it may be the case. Or, perhaps they are all just very *tired*. I am so in the wrong place. Oh well. We keep trying.

I moved my mom into the long term care place yesterday. I did not do the extras I thought I would. It was enough to get her there. I'll illustrate the difference between my perception and hers with this. We go through the front door and to the right is the nurses' station and on the left a gathering of folks all in black wheeled wheelchairs or seated with walkers. I see black, chrome and small bent figures en masse. I cringe immediately, unconsciously, when confronted by all these people who cannot move freely anymore. That's where I'm at, and I just want to shield my mum from it all. She sees the same thing and says with wonder and delight, "Look at all the people!" She's happy cause she's been very lonely and she likes to see people. She feels safe seeing others. Her needs and what I assume are her needs are very different. I need always step back and let her lead me on this.

I ate way too much for lunch. I am feeling very resistant to eating less. I have not picked up the sugar though. credit. Tonight though I'm not sure I have what it takes to lose weight. I'm very down about it, but you know, I am exhausted and need not decide my future just this minute. I will instead take credit for checking in here and not dwell any more tonight on what most certainly are sabotaging thoughts.

Have a good night.

Last edited by onebyone; 11-22-2014 at 08:44 PM.
Old 11-22-2014, 08:48 PM   #225  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Quick check in this evening but will enjoy a longer post tomorrow. Did most of the marketing that needed to get done and should be ready for Thanksgiving ... we're hosting DH's folks. I have too many desserts for four people, but know that they'll take a LOT of leftovers. One year she packed up all of the leftovers and we had none (I WANT leftovers of the meal!) and last year she packed up the dark meat before we even ATE. DH gets so aggravated and since he does, I just try to ignore things. If he didn't get irritated, I'd probably be more frustrated. Does that even make sense?

Made stuffed shells and ended up with more than I was planning ... they smell absolutely wonderful I put some chianti in when I made the sauce. I had two (and they're about two bites each - small) and a large salad. I ate the two shells earlier and then felt terrible since it wasn't truly my DINNER... then thought, "make it your dinner" and DID just that adding a salad a while later. Ended day OP ... well, actually a bit lower than plan.
Closed Thread