Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 05:22 PM   #91  

Height: 5' 2"

Strength exercise, serous strength work today, CREDIT!!! Also spontaneous exercise as we parked far from stores and walked the extra steps, CREDIT! Did not get cookie as I paid the cashier right beside the fresh baked ones. Credit! Great night's sleep, too. CREDIT! Birthday dinner is fish and green veggies with brown Basmati rice cooked by our daughter.

Thankful for being alive and having family here and nearby.

Debbie, having a renter isn't the easy job I thought it was. Your issues show that you earn every thing you get and hope it is not late, right?

Joy, sorry DH has high blood pressure, but the good news is Medication can do amazing things to help. My DH has done fantastic and stays in good health.

Thanks for the discussion here about Hospice and alternatives. I've had friends help a terminally ill person stay home and finish life in their own bed. Hospice has done amazing good.

Bill, SilverBirch, etc. Books. If I had discarded the books I planned to, I'd not have Beck and many others that I actually read again. It is the ones that I read then know I"ll never re-visit them that get donated. I have 2 boxes waiting for the book sale at our church soon.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:03 PM   #92  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Smile early to bed

Coaches

On my phone so this will be short.

I was painting in the library today with the painting group and I missed lunch. So came home, made dinner early, had a big piece and skipped eating again. So I go to bed on an almost empty stomach. Credit for not using a skipped meal as an excuse to "make up" for anything.

Very tired. Finally get to be home tomorrow. Yay.

Have a good night.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:03 AM   #93  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Sunday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walk, CREDIT moi, to see what ducks were migrating through encountered a Surf Scoter - rare for that fresh water pond since the bird guides show them found on the ocean. A passer-by asked why it was here. I told her that ducks sometimes just did their own thing. "Oh, like people," she chortled. Yay for a duck swimming outside the box.

For dinner to be dreamy white beans, I had to walk in the dark to our community garden to gather sage from the HUGE bush there using my Colorado River head lamp. Harvesting in the dark felt sneaky fun; I pretended I was stealing high value stuff and had to watch out for the cops so I wouldn't get caught. Each spring, DW cuts the bush down to zilch from which it grows and grows. I could have brought home a pound. A simple dinner was a good eating choice, CREDIT moi.

onebyone – Yep, Kudos for not trying to "make up" for anything - I've felt that urge to abandon all restraints because I was owed.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Kudos for planning in advance to only eat 3/4 what's served. May your DH find his path through the high blood pressure.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Yay for rent and Double Yay for the re-appearing tenant. It's easy to imagine a difficult time just after losing his wife. Kudos for the extra effort for exercise.

silverbirch – Yay for stressing those abs. And Kudos for choosing bed over cocoa.

nationalparker – Yay for fully bundled to allow a moon-lit walk. [I ordered Pork osso buco because I'm fond of over-cooked pork shank. Didn't register spices that seemed unique to Venezuela as differs from Mexico.]

Karen (karenrn) - Your hikes continue to fascinate; 6 1/2 miles is a goodly distance in the heat. Hope the Apple laptop resurrects with a little TLC.

love2garden - Kudos for raising a DD smart enough to serve brown Basmati rice - I love Basmati rice. Super Kudos for ignoring the cookie right at the cashier.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 26 Recognize Thinking Mistakes

Common Thinking Errors.
Here are nine common thinking mistakes people make when dieting.

Thinking Mistake #4: Emotional Reasoning
You think your ideas must be true even though objective evidence says not.
Examples:
  • Since I feel like a failure for having strayed, I really must be a failure.
  • I feel like I just have to have something sweet right now.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 196.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:59 AM   #94  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi coaches!

Two days without my smoothie and I feel it today, I got enough rest but I feel tired. It's a good thing I can change that-smoothie soon then off to work. I come home early then we will head to the next town for a 6pm meeting. Sis got off yesterday so now I can get back to focusing on my own food plan.

Yesterday's credits
Tracked food and stayed within calories, 40 minutes of exercise, used resistance techniques, got spontaneous exercise.

Happy trails!
Old 11-09-2014, 08:22 AM   #95  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

A quick post this morning. Boy did I do a poor job of proofreading yesterday's post. Food was on plan and within calories yesterday, credit. I weighed this morning and I'm down two pounds. Yahoo!!! I finally got my weightlifting equipment and the video out yesterday and gave it a whirl. I think I have the water filled bags a little too heavy for now, so will take a little out and give it another go. I really dislike going to the gym when the weather is good, which it will be for about 7 months. So if I can add this to my hiking it should work just fine.

Good news on the laptop also. It was repaired and I will pick it up today for not much more than $50. I'm very happy about that.

I'm meeting a friend for lunch at a Chinese restaurant today(her choice). My plan is to order wisely and to keep the portion size reasonable. DH is not home, so I can minimize dinner to make up for it. So hard to estimate calories from Chinese food. I'll hope for something with lots of vegetables.

Gardenerjoy I was looking at the peanut sauce recipe you have on your blog. Sounds so good. I think I'll give it a try sometime this week.

Hello to all and enjoy your day!
Old 11-09-2014, 10:39 AM   #96  

S/C/G: 218.5/211.1/175

Height: 5' 4"

Default Joining this thread for accountability

I just unsubscribed from a specific diet thread because that diet didn't work particularly well for me, but I know Beck thinking does work, whatever I am eating (or not!). I want to just listen for awhile and get back into reality For now I have just given up most (but not all) of my food addictions, while deciding which eating plan to follow.
Old 11-09-2014, 01:01 PM   #97  
in development

Three hours in the garden has undone a lot of the tension from last week and set me up for the coming one. The DB and I have planted garlic which does better here if planted in November rather than February. The SO lifted most of the mombretia (Crocosmia now, I think) which has taken over a corner in the front. (More to be lifted in another corner too.) I’m going to split the bear’s breeches (Acanthus mollis) and plant some where the mombretia was, some time this week. And some tidying up of leaves, branches and the like. All very nice.

WI: down 1.25lb. Exercise: YES, flexibility. Spontaneous exercise: YES, three hours gardening. Planned food: YES but not written down. Last night’s sleep: 8 marks out of 10.

Lexxiss, very best wishes for those days which have a plan of their own. Other people can make things go in a completely different direction. It sounds as though the smoothie is a good anchor most days.

love2garden, so good to hear that you didn't buy the cookie and that you did have a good night's sleep. I love sleep!

onebyone, belated birthday wishes from me! You're so busy at the moment. Yesterday sounds pretty good, food-wise! Be creative and carry on.

Bill, very interesting your DW cuts down the sage in the spring. Does she cut it back at all in the autumn? Oh yes, delicious white beans and sage! I should put that on our menu this week.

Karen, good luck at the Chinese restaurant. They can be a minefield.

jicarilla, I hope you like it here.

See you all tomorrow. Monday! I wonder what this week will bring.
Old 11-09-2014, 02:35 PM   #98  

S/C/G: 165/132/125 or 115? not sure

Height: 5'4" (on a good-hair day!)

Determined not to let disruptions interfere with exercise.

(This week's excuse: company.) Thanks to Gardnerjoy's exercise challenges, focussed on getting back into routine in Aug & Sept but knew Oct would be harder & Nov & Dec no easier SO MUST BE FIRM!! Need buddy-coaches for accountability!

Karen - congrats on being down 2 lb!

Gardernerjoy - sorry about the DH's bp. The bane of many of us.

nationalparker - hope you are feeling better. As others said, grieving takes its time. So sorry for your loss.

Lexxis - Glad that tenant situation worked out. Sad. Sounds like you are back to your beloved smoothies!

BBE - duck sighting interesting. My birding-obsessed friend tells us birds don't read the birding books so they don't know where they're 'supposed' to be. Does your 'Colorado head lamp' have an LED light?

Love2garden -

Curly, how did the Cheesecake Factory work out?

1x1 - Is this your busy season? Are there more shows now?

Silverbirch - glad bathing by candlelight is now an option, not a necessity! Sounds like a productive gardening day, but isn't it getting cold in your neck of the woods? Adding to the 'avoid the middle of the store' discussion (if you're not tired of it by now) - not only is that were the pre-packaged stuff is, anything healthy there, such as plain oatmeal or brown rice will be inconveniently WAY up on a high or low shelf. Special displays of cookies or whatever are apt to be everywhere, often positioned where one has to whirl one's cart to get around them. And the final struggle: every checkout has candy & the like. Sorry for the rant.

jicarilla

Welcome back, FutureFitChick!!
Old 11-09-2014, 07:58 PM   #99  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Another day of being on the run nearly the whole day, well, no - being away from home, since 2.5 hours were spent seeing Gone Girl and then had lunch/dinner at the little Thai place. Credit for one meal and not two today for dinner. Just not following through on cutting my portions down to what I need to. DH's suggestion of froyo last night was a treat - we go so infrequently - a couple of times/year - and though I was full, I still had some. A few late kicks to myself - why did I not just say, no, thanks? Because he would have said oh, okay - never mind, and I wanted him to enjoy it. Even though neither of us needed it. But I could have just served myself half of what I did for a little taste and been done with it.

Plans tonight include a trail walk that I'm so not into for some reason - will bundle and just do it in a while. DH will hold me to it, I'm sure.

I think i need to have a "come to Jesus" talk with myself here this week and recognize that just as the scale can and will go up now and then, it can and will come down when I commit myself to doing what I know I need to do. I do NOT want to enter the New Year with the same outlook of "THIS is the year I finally get to where I want to be." If I can focus and follow through, I can see forward progress and, while slowly, get to better fit into my clothes. Now I fear I'm edging back out of them. I cannot and will not (!) let this happen.

Goals this week - walk on trail three days with DH and walk at lunch one day ... cut back on eating out/prep our food myself...smaller portions or smaller dinners.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:45 PM   #100  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hi Coaches:

I am just up and down and all over the place. So frustrating.

Here is my plan for the week:

1. No sugar.
2. Eat a really healthy breakfast, lunch and afternoon snack.
3. Don't worry too much about what is for dinner- just try to eat a sensible, reasonable portion.
4. No eating after dinner until bedtime- snack will be one of the following- cottage cheese and fruit, yogurt and fruit or oatmeal and fruit. NO other options permitted.
5. Check in here every night (except Thurs when I am away).
6. Read response and advantage cards every day.
7. Some form of exercise every day.
8. Write in food journal every day.

Hopeful!!!

Old 11-10-2014, 06:50 AM   #101  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Welcome jicarilla

jicarilla

And, in case you didn't get one of these nearly five years ago,

How did you learn about the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you find our Beck Forum here on 3FC?
Old 11-10-2014, 06:57 AM   #102  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Ugh - I spent time at a meeting that went too long. CREDIT moi for not getting up to leave in the middle since people would have thought that rude (echoing the Thinking Error posted below, LOL). I did assemble lunch from the pot luck spread that was all vegetarian - CREDIT moi for a small step.

Walked past a yard sale with a stack of new travel guides for only $2 each: China, Morocco, India, New York, etc. My hands fondled and desired them all, but my head finally convinced me that buying travel guides is not the same as planning a trip. When I plan a trip, I can go buy the current edition of any travel guide that I need.

CeeJay - Neat to have a clear plan for the week.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Kudos for continuing to help your Sis when she needs you.

silverbirch – So much fun to google bear's breeches since it's not one of the few plant names I know. Three hours gardening is super exercise - hope your body feels OK today. [DW cuts back the sage in the Spring only - it just gets bigger all summer. She'll leave it that way to over-winter.]

nationalparker – Clear vision of going forward, "I cannot and will not (!) let this happen." Did you like the Gone Girl movie? I couldn't put the book down then became a snot about it because it seemed beyond belief in parts. I'm inclined to skip the movie.

Karen (karenrn) - LOL that it takes my head a few minutes to figure out that " the weather is good, which it will be for about 7 months" means not too hot to be outside. We, of course, think just the opposite way. Kudos for "on plan and within calories."

Mountain Mamma - Kudos for recognizing that excuses for not exercising are . . . well . . . just excuses. [Yep, the head light is LED. For our rafting trip we were required to wear one that also contained a red LED mode so that we could wander about at night without disturbing the ambiance.]

jicarilla - Neat that you start out already knowing that Beck thinking does work - my take is that that's the biggest first hurdle. Kudos for working on those food addictions. Have you a list of plausible eating plans? Glad you've joined us.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 26 Recognize Thinking Mistakes

Common Thinking Errors.
Here are nine common thinking mistakes people make when dieting.

Thinking Mistake #5: Mind Reading
You're sure of what others are thinking, even in the absence of compelling data.
Examples:
  • People will think I'm strange if I don't drink alcohol at the party.
  • She'll think I'm rude if I don't try the brownies she baked.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 196.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:17 AM   #103  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

hi coaches!
well, I survived the Cheesecake factory! I actually didn't feel too stuffed, if you don't eat all the sauce that does save some calories, and they actually don't give you that much protein sometimes. I did indulge in dessert but I brought most of it home for another day. Sat okay, Sunday too much bread products and overate after dinner.

I've been having occasional episodes of pounding/racing heart for no reason which freaks me out a little, which has only been going on since I started this stomach med so I am going off it for awhile. I keep reading descriptions of various ailments for bloating, occasional stomach pain after eating but nothing fits quite right so maybe its simple indigestion after eating too much. I'll give it a few weeks then go back to doc. I can deal as long as it isn't anything serious.

Welcome Jicarilla! I lurked for awhile before I jumped in.
Waving to all, personals another day!
Old 11-10-2014, 01:54 PM   #104  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good morning, Coaches.

Finally a morning off. I have been OP in avoiding certain foods but have compensated with larger portions of everything else. So the weight is three pounds above ticker. I so hear nationalparker saying "If I focus and follow through I can make forward progress." And the progress will be before the new year. Taking my Beck book out of the drawer. Making time for exercise when DS goes to music practice. I have been at this weight before. I have lossed it before. A few simple steps will bring me back under 160.

Beautiful fall day. I feel lucky to still fit into my small clothes although three of my work pants have that "five pounds" too tight feeling. Purchased a pair of work pants that fit. They were on sale and I look at them as bridge to getting back under 154. I believe in making myself look and feel good about my appearance at every stage.

Wave to all.

Last edited by maryann; 11-10-2014 at 01:55 PM.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:32 PM   #105  
in development

A very full day, juggling errands, clients, friends and family. I saw my trainer at 9am and he massaged my foot and lower back. This should sort out the SI joint. Plus a few modifications to the exercise routine I’ve got. Now, for example, I’m going to do a dumbbell deadlift and then move into a lunge. I’ll do this for the set with two DBs and the sets with one. Functional fitness in case I slip when carrying a grip/holdall etc. Then I had my mid-morning snack overlooking the bay.

WI: down 1lb NEW LOW. Exercise: NO. Spontaneous exercise: YES, running errands. Planned food: YES but not written down. Last night’s sleep: 7 marks out of 10 + 30 minutes late afternoon.

Thanks for all your helpful remarks about food stores. Mountain Mamma, you rant away! Every checkout has candy?? How dreadful.

MM, it's about 10C/50F at the moment, colder in the morning of course. Unless it's raining or the wind is coming from the NE it's nice to be out and about. There's a lot to do in the garden always!

nationalparker, walking is so good. It can be soothing, it can be thrilling, it can be almost anything you want.

Ceejay, very good to see you. Just Thursday away this week? That's better than some weeks, I think.

Bill, glad to provide a little amusement with googling bear's breeches. All the more amusing here because we have no bears. Very impressed you left those travel guides behind. There are one or two here which are of areas I've never been to but I think might suit me. They remind me that I could go there.

curlypudge, pounding/racing heart would alarm me. I think I missed that you were taking a stomach med. Sympathy.

maryann, I'm very impressed with 'a few simple steps will take me back under 160.' It cuts through all the complicating nonsense. It's simple.

Thank you for being here, everyone. It's helping a lot. See you tomorrow.
Closed Thread