Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 08:34 PM   #121  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

hi coaches-a quick wave, my back has been killing me all day, i must have strained it doing something (alas not exercise!) and i can't sit comfortably so its hard to type.

Ceejay- very sorry to hear about your DB brother.

more tomorrow and good night!
Old 11-11-2014, 09:43 PM   #122  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up chilled out

Coaches

Today's food was heavy but I had it early and in the afternoon opting to have grapes for a snack and call it a day. I have noticed I go to bed this side of hungry, which is good. I'm beginning to feel it is more normal to be hungry than full at bedtime. *credit*

I managed to meet my extended deadline this morning and tonight I have resumed the quest to complete all that stuff that I have made. I need to put hanging wires/threads onto my ornaments, finish placing cords, a bead and then hand knotting my pendants--they are now all done except for the exceptions that need a bit of something else-probably a bead-to complete them. DH is proud of me, that I made so many things, (125 ornaments and about 80 pendants, plus a handful of misc things) that I am trying to make some $. *credit moi for doing what is needed to keep our home harmonious* As a side benefit I now have a few items I can photograph and they will make it into upcoming submission packages for folk festivals I want to attend next year. I am planning a return to that kind of thing for the late spring/summer/early fall. It means major production during the winter, but that's ok. I am looking forward to traveling around next year a bit. I will bring my ukelele with me! Exciting! Actually, yes, I am excited. I am ready to have some fun, and here I have to make my fun cause it is a decidedly un-fun place to live!

Also a guild member gave me an alpaca coat she bought to use in a weaving project but it was in perfect condition and she couldn't bring herself to cut it up. She saw me in the parking lot at the guild and had me try it on. it fits. It's long and black. It's warm. Did I tell you I need a coat? Yep. The upper arms are a big tight (the usual) but other than that I can deal with it. Another guild member is giving me her pants that are too big for her now. They also fit better than anything I have tried on in ages. Mostly just stretchy leggings. Black again. Part of me thinks I should be insulted as in, are my clothes so bad people think they need to help me out? part of me says they probably are. LOL. Another part says they are just being practical and know I am not a fusspot. I'm not, not until I am about a size 14/16 when I have some choice in the matter. Right now at 18/20/22/24/26 whatever depending on the cut material style etc I'm not fussy. I hope to be a fusspot again though. For now I am grateful not to have to spend money on clothes.

*credit for checking in, no sugar, eating light at night, meeting deadlines.

Last edited by onebyone; 11-11-2014 at 09:49 PM.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:56 PM   #123  

S/C/G: 165/132/125 or 115? not sure

Height: 5'4" (on a good-hair day!)

Today I had McD's which was on my plan. NOT. Nor did I exercise. I am truly hanging my head but forced myself to come clean & confess here.

Curly, sorry about your back

Gosfordgirl - I have been wondering where you were! Great news on the new low, and good luck with the continued dietary changes.

1x1 - Good luck with your deadline!

Lexxis - Acceptance is good. Are those posts time stamped 5:20 am your actual CO time?

Maryann - didn't know keeping persimmons in a closed container would ripen them! The things one can learn here. Quite a job on the sleep front.

Nuxmaga - I LOVE "anxious procrastination"!! Great phrase!

BBE - Ha! frayed shirts! DH declares he is keeping his only for 'working around the house' - But of course appears in public with holes in his T shirt.

GJ - do hope those allergy shots help. What are you allergic to? (Certainly not tomatoes, green or otherwise!)

nationalparker Ikea terrifies me; I'm afraid I'll disappear into the void & never be heard from again.

Dash, are you still here? Up to your eye balls in PhD stuff?

love2garden - glad the knees are improving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeJay View Post

We attended our local Remembrance Day Service this morning- it is outdoors and really chilly at -8 C. We spent a quiet day at home thinking about DH's brother who was killed in Afghanistan. It was an emotional day for us.
So sorry CeeJay, didn't know about that.
Old 11-11-2014, 11:36 PM   #124  
Practicing Imperfection

Hi All,
Tracked food, credit. Left some of my lackluster lunch at my networking meeting, credit. Put back the chocolate bar while grocery shopping. This must be in the air - I did buy a bag of cocoa dusted almonds. My DH noticed them, so at least I won't be eating all of them.

BBE - congrats on a new shirt of whole cloth! My DH has a similar love of shirts made of frayed edges and holes.

Silver birch - our open studio is Thanksgiving weekend. It is great being able to set up at home, but does involve cleaning the house and doing promotion, and baking.

One by one - hope the making momentum continues! I am right there with you.
Old 11-11-2014, 11:48 PM   #125  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Super quick post to say that I was close to OP today - not perfect but we walked for nearly three hours through ikea, though did get a snack there, I counted it and literally moved on. Spent way too much but came out with many goodies and new bedspreads - a splurge. Talked DH into the new LED lights which SHOULD (ha) last 20 years. These barely light CFL things that are to last 13 last me a year if that on some ... so cheaper LEDs ($13 last year, $5 now) have my vote so far.

Wanted to post tonight, but felt guilty about no time for personals (which just reminded me of a favorite movie, No Time For Sargeants) - tangent thinking bigtime tonight.

CeeJay - just a line that as I fall asleep I'll be thinking of your DH's brother and am thankful for his service.

Received an email from a couple who are family friends and they went to the national cemetery at home to "visit" my parents today and took pics of the new headstone with both of their names now on it (dad facing one direction and mom on the other side, as they are in the military cemeteries). That meant more to me than I could express to them. The gifts of time and thoughtfulness are remembered long after.

GosfordGirl - So good to see you back!
2 Days on Track. Enough on track to call it that. off to sleep.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:27 AM   #126  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – I should have thought of this in advance since it's happened before: DW now, ever so subtly, expects me to throw away, ("You can't give a shirt that worn to Goodwill"), my beloved shirt with the frayed collar. I don't have to, of course. I'm a grownup and this house isn't a dictatorship. But I'm running out of hiding places. Oh, Well.

Walk, CREDIT moi, included stopping at the hardware store to buy a cover for our new-this-summer grill. We've been using a garbage bag because there are two sizes and I had to wait until our final configuration to choose. Surprise! - the area for grills in the store was now . . . Christmas stuff. Apparently, grills and their accessories are seasonal. Fortunately, the remaining grill stuff was still in a back corner and I grabbed one of the last two. As much as I love to shop local, Amazon doesn't do seasonal.

onebyone – Congrats on that stack of stuff to sell. Kudos for getting your head straight to accept manna from heaven without projecting demeaning motives to the gods.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – LOL at "Scarborough Fair pesto." Hope your new allergy regime works.

CeeJay - Spending a quiet moment thinking about your DH's brother. Kudos for completing your list.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Sending calming vibes as you face a high-stress day.

silverbirch – Congrats on that NEW LOW. Ouch for the barriers that other people can erect.

maryann - Super Kudos for making such dramatic changes to work your sleep program.

nationalparker – Yay for LED lights that'll last for 20 years. We get about six months out of our CFL's bought because they were to last ten years. I've never regretted purchases from Ikea. After a pricy repainting and minor remodeling, our new Powder Room is lit by a very inexpensive Ikea light because it better fit what we were looking for than did any at the expensive lighting stores. And Kudos for a rational food trip through the pot holes of that place.

Karen (karenrn) - Yep, I agree, "Sedona is a beautiful red rock area." We loved the area when visiting before our Grand Canyon rafting journey a few years ago.

Margaret (Nuxmaga) - Yay for a DH who'll help make the cocoa dusted almonds disappear. Kudos for leaving some lunch on the plate.

curlypudge - Ouch for a back out of kilter - may it resolve itself quickly.

Mountain Mamma - Ouch for McD's with Kudos for acknowledging it to yourself so you can move forward. According to the papers, they need the business; they're losing their magic hold on the masses.

love2garden - Walking with someone is always more fun - Kudos. Don't worry about personals; reporting is the most important part. In addition, it takes time to sort us all apart.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 26 Recognize Thinking Mistakes

Common Thinking Errors.
Here are nine common thinking mistakes people make when dieting.

Thinking Mistake #7: Unhelpful Rules
You mandate actions without taking circumstances into consideration.
Examples:
  • I can't waste food.
  • I can't inconvenience my family by cooking healthier meals or getting the junk food out of my house.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 196.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:49 AM   #127  
Green Tomatoes

Hunger Experiment 6. This is the emotional eating one. I didn't do this last time. I suspect that I read it and said, "Okay, I'll do that next time I want to eat for emotions" and then promptly forgot it.

Now, I see this as the whole ball of wax. So, of course, it's completely overwhelming. Starting with this: Every time I eat, even when it's exactly what is planned, there's a huge emotional element to it. For me to ban emotional eating is the same as saying "don't eat at all." A thought that generates a big emotional response ("are you trying to kill me?").

So, obviously, I need to step back from the drama here. I need to apply this to the unplanned times I want to eat. That's actually the next success skill -- planning and monitoring my eating. So, I need to move on to that but, somehow, remember to keep coming back to this and to Hunger Experiment 5 about cravings. I'm going to make response cards to direct me to these.

Mountain_Mamma: the official word from my allergist is I'm allergic to "everything" -- trees, grasses, weeds, mold, and dust. We didn't test food allergies this time because I've tested allergic to a few things in the past but I've never had a reaction to food, thankfully.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:36 PM   #128  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

I seem to be travelling in the weight going down lift (elevator) which is very pleasant. Credit for sticking to my plan.

I had a full day at the office today. I packed a meal and two snacks and I was all set. No exercise but I cleared the work decks almost completely which goes a long way towards quietening my mind. Exercise will come tomorrow. I’ll do flexibility + weights, and add in the modifications which my trainer and I discussed.

WI: down 0.5lb NEW LOW. Exercise: NO. Spontaneous exercise: NO. Written food plan: YES. Last night’s sleep: 6 marks out of 10.

Karen, thank you for encouraging a google of Sedona. So very interesting and the red rock looks wonderful.

Ceejay, doing everything on your list two days in a row is practically a habit! I'm urging you on to make it a hat trick today.

curlypudge, ooh ooh ooh - back pain is just horrible. I hope it's easing off by the time you read this.

onebyone, you're doing so well with all the making, the alpaca coat and especially the no sugar and eating lightly at night. I wouldn't be insulted if someone gave me clothes (especially ones which fitted), in fact, I'd be delighted. Think of all the time you're saving, not having to trudge round trying to find something suitable.

Mountain Mamma, well done for confessing if you felt the need. Onward and upward. I mean downward - well, you know what I mean!

Nuxmaga, I recognise the lacklustre lunch you mentioned. Over the years, I've come to the conclustion that the best thing to do with them is eat whatever you can (if there is anything) and leave the rest. Credit!

nationalparker, close to OP is so good! Credit!

Bill, are you all right? I usually rely on a few hours here by myself in the morning (I never wreck the place, just poke about and read quietly). This morning you shot in between my getting up and arriving at work. What time on earth must it have been for you?

gardenerjoy, the emotional eating stuff sounds complicated. Credit for your idea to move on but to keep coming back to it. You might be able to look at things in small bits so that you're not overwhelmed by it. Sympathy about having so many allergies. I'm pretty bad myself and some foods have recently entered the mix. We are an atopic family, it seems.

So, good night, good night! See you tomorrow.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:47 PM   #129  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Evening, Coaches.

Super credit for following my rule at work "NO Mass Manufactured Sweets Nutritionally Devoid stuff" I must have resisted over a dozen urges.

Credit for trying a new snack that replaced the Cr**. It was sweet but healthy: walnuts, dry cherries, organic dark chocolate no preservatives. Go figure my craving was actually satisfied ( as opposed to the the manufactured stuff which is designed to increase cravings.)

silverbirch: You accomplished a huge task by having "sat with uncomfortable feelings." If I could do that more on a daily basis I would not be overweight.

karenRn: Loved Sedona when I went for the first time this spring. I am jealous.

Ceejay: You remind me how grateful I am for California when you say "-8c." I could not do it. I suffer in the cold exceedingly.

MountainMomma: Super credit for posting when posting is a drag.

nuxmaga: Putting back the chocolate bar is a biggggg deal. Don't take it lightly.

BBE: Have your wife take a picture of you in your shirt then throw it away. You'll always have it in your mind.

gardenerjoy: Yes, there is a sense of sovereignty connected to the food I eat. I get to eat it no matter what and no one can stop me. Unfortunately, no one is telling me not to anymore. My independence (once an asset to survive as an individual in my family) is now a defect that needs to be removed.

Last edited by maryann; 11-12-2014 at 07:49 PM.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:10 PM   #130  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Off today and working through some things, which sounds all drama but I just kind of need to accept some stuff, I guess. Felt like I needed a day to just "be" and be alone. Aiming for three days on enough of a plan to count it today.

Late this afternoon I prepped a lasagna for a coworker of DH's who helped us out - we were debating gift card or not sure what as a thank you and DH mentioned a homemade lasagna dinner and the guy was excited about that - both he and his wife work, too, and they have kids. I'll send it in with DH tomorrow - took a couple of hours for the sauce, etc., but kitchen is completely cleaned up and we have a small loaf pan size lasagna here - made two recipes and have add'l sauce to freeze for another meal.

At times I enjoy my days at home, cooking, baking, gardening, even cleaning and organizing, spending time with the pets, and feel more fulfilled with that than I do my career, which I feel is, at this singular point in my life, helping solidify income for retirement.

GardenerJoy - I am completely realizing that I reach for food mainly in two areas - comfort and stress relief. I need to bring that hot cup of tea thought back a lot more.

Bill - Here's a tip: Hide the shirt, I mean, layer the shirt on a hangar under another, larger shirt. No one looks for doubles on hangars. Umm... I caved in at Trader Joe's and bought a half-gallon of the honeycrisp apple cider for the first time buying cider in my life! So of course, I will ration my portion. But have found a recipe for apple cider baked donut holes that will get tested out with this jug. Because I secretly am still vetting recipes for a future B&B that will never happen.

Silverbirch - Major kudos on your downward trend on the scale! Nice to see hard work pay off. Maybe that will click with me here soon!

Bought tickets to a wonderfully presented performance of A Christmas Story on Saturday at a good discount, but now DH is working, so suggested he extend the invite to his mom and I'll take her to lunch at the tearoom near the theatre...we'll see. Kick the season off early!

Karen - As always, I thoroughly enjoy your hikes! DH and I are longing to get to Sedona together ... I "sent" him there on a surprise trip on a weekend that I was locked in at work ... he camped and hiked and said we'll return!

OneByOne - Too COOL on the new to you coat/pants. The gift of a warm coat heading into winter is a bonus! Wishing you a successful sales session!
Old 11-12-2014, 09:23 PM   #131  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Default Day 3 yippee

Hello Coaches,

Credit today for:
-no sugar
-eating healthy breakfast, lunch and snacks and a moderate dinner portion
-riding exercise bike and doing stretches
-doing arm/shoulder exercises
-reading response and advantage cards
-packing lunch and dinner for tomorrow at the hotel
-checking in with my coaches
-resisting snacks at meeting- all full of sugar, salt and/or fat
-writing in health journal

curlypudge, Mountain Mamma, national parker and BillBlueEyes-- Thanks so much for mentioning DH's brother. I cannot tell you how hard it is to lose a family member in such a violent way in war. It is very reassuring to know that people care. Let us all hope that one day the world will practice peace.

curlypudge- hope your back is feeling better soon.

onebyone-way to go with all your credits! Wishing you....fun!

Mountain Mamma-just have to say oh well about McD's.

Nuxmaga- credit for tracking food.

nationalparker-so nice of your family friends to send that picture to you and what you said about the gifts of time and thoughtfulness is so true.

BillBlueEyes-keep the shirt!! You could just wear it around the house, right?

gardenerjoy- agreed re the emotional aspect to all eating. This is a huge challenge for me.

silverbirch- you seem to be on a roll--

maryann- awesome that you resisted so many cravings in a day.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:55 PM   #132  

S/C/G: 165/132/125 or 115? not sure

Height: 5'4" (on a good-hair day!)

Thanks all for the support. Much better today, got in a decent workout despite company etc. (Food would have been great if I hadn't sampled nuts purchased for DH to make sure they were okay.) Appreciate the support, it's very easy for me to fall off completely once I stumble. More later!
Old 11-13-2014, 03:11 AM   #133  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Talking Another new low

Hi Coaches

Got so busy yesterday that I didn't get back to the computer. So what happened - both days were on plan. It is really nice at the moment to be in the zone and finding it relatively easy to take the time necessary. Yesterday I had to go into Sydney to get a new Sim card (for my new iPhone 6+!) and to get my old iPhone repaired. I passed so much temptation. I wanted chocolates, and cakes, and sandwiches, and rolls and more... But I just said no - "not about me". I even stopped at a couple of coffee shops to have a coffee and 'something' and there was nothing at all that I could eat - not a skerrick. So I decided to wait to have coffee. Today I had to go and wait while my car was serviced for 1.5 hours so I took lunch and ate it there or I would have been over hungry and who knows. Tomorrow there is a workshop all day at work with provided food - always total danger (this is where I went off the rails about 2 weeks ago). So I am taking food - will let you know if it works.

After I posted on Tuesday I went to the gym on the way home and joined 'TRX small group training' - there were 8 people, 6 of them under 30 and an old guy and me. I was very pleased he was there! Moral support (about my age) and the trainer was very solicitous and adapted exercises. It was strenuous but fun so I will try another one of those classes.

Weight yesterday stayed the same, and this morning A NEW LOW (seems to be going around). Down another 1.2 pounds and changed my ticker again.

BillBE - so good to avoid the chocolate almonds - they are very more-ish. Credit for a new shirt and LOL at not being able to part with the old even in the face of DWs subtle hints

Debbie (Lexxiss) - credit for staying your path and not letting the scale influence your mood. You are my busyness style guide - you fit it all in some how

Gardenerjoy - I hope the allergy shots do their work - you seem to be massively affected by so many things. It is interesting to read your experiences with the hunger experiments.

Maryann - Credit for persevering with improvements to your sleep. It seems like a major undertaking to achieve good sleep

Love2garden - every sympathy with bad knees. I found surgery a great fix! Hope you get it sorted because it really affects your life and mobility

Silverbirch - Students are ruthless with signs of weakness so I see where you are going with wanting to look smart. I always feel I should dye my very silver hair to survive, but I am so allergic I can't. Hope you get there.Yay for NEW LOWs for you!

KarenRN - Sedona looks beautiful. Can't quite work out how steep the trails are so will look forward to hearing how it goes

CeeJay - Sorry for the loss of your BiL. A tragic loss for all. Our remembrance day is always so poignant and to hear of an example of loss makes it more so. Credit for 3 days on plan! Hat trick

Curlypudge - I do hope you get some relief for you back

Onebyone - amazingly productive and such a list of achievements over the last few days. And staying on plan. It must feel great to meet those deadlines

MountainMamma - Yay for coming clean. Hope it worked for you! Glad you got a good workout - it always helps

Nuxmaga - good to see you back too. Credit for putting back a chocolate bar - great resistance

Nationalparker - yep - 3 hours at Ikea sounds about right. You need to take supplies and a compass.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:44 AM   #134  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Thursday - Sadie Hawkins Day (R.I.P. Al Capp)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Why, yes, I did post at 2:27am ET yesterday. Confession: I'm hopelessly a morning person. When I wake, I jump out of bed delighted to be starting the day. Apparently, I don't look at the clock. It wasn't until I'd posted (and thoroughly enjoyed my coffee) that I realized the time. I did go back to bed for a 'nap' since so little sleep would have caught up with me by afternoon. In turn, I sometimes envy those who are still going strong at midnight.

Walk, CREDIT moi, was abbreviated due to a neighbor's roof being shingled by a crew of eight men, working hard and constantly. The whole job took only a day and a half including new fascia boards. He let me contribute some ancient lead-paint-covered balusters from my basement to his dumpster. I hated to part with them, but it would never be economically effective to remove the lead paint. (Besides the small issue that I didn't need them.) CREDIT moi for the Beck Strategy of clearing up my environment. For some of us, steps are small.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – LOL at "are you trying to kill me?" Thanks for laying out your thinking and for hitting me over the head with your awareness that all eating is emotional. I recall Beck's, "There's always a thought" before eating anything. How can there be an unemotional ice cream cone on a hot summer day?

CeeJay - Special Kudos for "resisting snacks at meeting- all full of sugar, salt and/or fat." I'm a specialist at the Sabotaging Thought that since I'm stuck in a meeting instead of out changing the world I deserve whatever garbage appears.

silverbirch – Congrats on that NEW LOW yet again. You seem to be on a roll. Clearing the work decks is just the best feeling.

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) – Yep, Congrats for A NEW LOW - I do hope that it's contagious as you suggest. Kudos for joining that gym and the training class.

maryann - Gonna steal this, "NO Mass Manufactured Sweets Nutritionally Devoid stuff" - by the time I get to the end of the phrase my mouth is apucker.

nationalparker – Kudos for "enough of a plan to count" - I'm a big fan of celebrating close enough since it butts against my If it's not perfect, it's not worth doing which, for me, is the easy path to not doing.

Mountain Mamma - This recognition deserves to be engraved in granite, "very easy for me to fall off completely once I stumble" - Kudos.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 26 Recognize Thinking Mistakes

Common Thinking Errors.
Here are nine common thinking mistakes people make when dieting.

Thinking Mistake #8: Justification
You link two unrelated concepts (to justify your eating).
Examples:
  • I deserve to eat this because I'm so stressed out.
  • It's okay to eat this because it's free.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 196.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:33 AM   #135  
Green Tomatoes

Credit for making a new response card after a bad day yesterday because cold is triggering for me: Food doesn't make me warm -- a sweater does!

Credit for scanning and printing the Stage 1 Success Skills Sheet last night from the back of the green book. I've been both drawn to it and resisting it, but I figured out the source of my resistance. She wants you to mark a check for "completed fully" and an X for anything less than that. To me, that's perfection or failure, and I need to encourage myself to partial success. So I'll assign percentages and aim for 80% or more until I feel more confident.

She suggests not moving on until I've been able to do all the skills for 7 days straight and I'll go along with that. But I'm giving myself permission to let that take awhile. I'm not ready to move on, anyway, so if it takes me a month to get there, that's fine.

Credit for reading Success Skill 7, Plan and Monitor Your Eating. I was originally going to use this to get back to MFP, but I'm not ready for that yet. I will get a benefit just by writing a plan on paper. Credit for doing that for today.

I'll be back tonight to report how I did on my Success Skills Sheet.
Closed Thread