Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 11:51 AM   #226  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

BethFromDayton: I love the San Diego Zoo. And there is no shortage of walking opportunities. I am sure food and exercise will balanace each other out.

Newlifetstyle: What is Wonderland. A few posters have mentioned it.

BBE: Yes. I am glad there is no nutritional censorship. (exept the brief banana moratorium.) I have been in programs where you can't say any specific food name. WAYYYY to restrictive.

violetdolphin: The Beck program is different from all other diets because it puts behavior first before food. As long as I focus changing behavior and thinking, my food always comes around.

Good Morning, Coaches.

Great day at the mall. I had a makeover by Bobbi Brown and then two hours later a makeover by MAC just to see the difference. I do not wear make up to speak of (only sunscreen and a little mascara). I came home to show DS and DH the results and both pleaded with me to go back to my "real" face (DS words.) Credit for not buying a bunch of product I apparently don't need. The impulse control I showed can transfer over to my food behavior.

Credit for 90% OP food including a planned See's candy raid. Credit for giving myself the day off and wandering around the stores with all the colors and shiny things. I did by another pair of the wonder jeans I bought in Boston — this time a size down. They were $25 dollars off and much more useful than the stuff I would put on my face.

I have a calendar to start charting OP days till Halloween.

Last edited by maryann; 08-24-2013 at 11:56 AM.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:34 PM   #227  

S/C/G: 225/225/145

Height: 5'6"

Good morning Becksters (is that the right term?).

Checking in for credits and some questions.

What the heck is a response card? I have my advantage cards, but the book keeps bringing up response cards, and I can't figure out what they mean. A little help please?

I have been dragging going through the days because I know that two weeks in means getting onto my diet. I keep justifying overeating by saying that I still have a week of prep! (which has now stretched into 4 weeks...). Also, is anyone doing this in combination with Weight Watchers as their food plan? Does that seem to fit well? I'm concerned with the unlimited veggies and fruit, I might not be in the spirit of the program for Beck.

Anyway credits:
-I've consistently remembered my advantages card reading (I do it during my work commute when I'm sitting in traffic)
-I've restocked my workout clothing with sizes that fit me right now (my major excuse for not working out is that I had no work out clothing)
-checking in here
-reading up on day 6 regarding a diet coach ( I guess this is what everyone uses this forum for?? Do you check in daily? Do you have one person you talk to or the whole group?)
-committing to getting off my butt and doing day 6,7, & 8 !
Old 08-24-2013, 04:11 PM   #228  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Super quick check in before leaving on trip ... will be MIA for a week. Hoping for good choices... no, planning for good choices Will bring a small notebook journal to work thru some of this but hate that it'll be intertwined in my trip memories, so think i'll put those thoughts at the back and rip-out-able.

Welcome, Khemistry! Response cards are things you'll think up in response to a tempting situation, etc. ... for me on this camping trip - one is "I will not starve to death if I don't pack extra treats..." "Hunger is fine and normal." I check in daily because when I don't, I slip-slide away from my plan and my progress.

Bill - you could not have selected a better daily Beck quote for me today. That is perfect thought for me heading out for vacation. I will picture this group commenting on my choices. Commending and critiquing, both. Thank you.

Last edited by nationalparker; 08-24-2013 at 04:12 PM.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:42 PM   #229  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Hello Coaches,
I had a great day, 90% on plan, completely on plan calorie wise but for some reason I had a small McDonalds ice coffee as my snack. I don't enjoy drinking my calories. I felt off plan because it wasn't what I was going to have for a snack.
MaryAnn - Wonderland is an amusement/waterpark North of Toronto Ontario.
http://https://www.canadaswonderland.com/
DS really enjoys the roller coasters at Universal Studios in Florida and we thought we would take him to wonderland as he has never been there, he loved going to the water safari in New York and really enjoyed it as it wasn't really crowded.

I got my walk in this morning for one hour. I also had a nap, it was very nice. I hope you all have a great weekend.

Take Care
Ann

Last edited by Newlifestyle; 08-24-2013 at 09:43 PM.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:42 AM   #230  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Sunday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – The fridge spent the day without "peeing on the floor," as my DW says of it. Yay for the benefits of defrosting a fridge that had no visible signs of needing it. And Yay for the simple joys of waking up each morning to see that the fridge continues to do its thing.

Exercise was a six hour hike over some neat up an down terrain just north of Boston, CREDIT moi. (We don't have mountains locally, but the glacier left some rough surfaces.) That was the longest hike either DW or I have taken in a while. We felt pretty good about ourselves despite being passed by joggers doing the trail (or short section of it) with their awesome 20-something bodies. The real test was that both of us had correct wool socks and hiking boots so that the feet were happy and without blisters. I do love merino wool socks for hiking even in the summer. It took me years to learn that wool socks go with hiking boots no matter the season.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Congrats for meeting your August weight loss goal.

maryann - Yay for jeans rather than makeup. And Double Kudos for planning for See's candy and staying on plan.

Ann (Newlifestyle) - Ouch for the diversion from your plan even though just an iced coffee. Walks and naps are a great combination.

nationalparker – Have a super trip - our support goes with you.

ForMyGirls - It's always neat to have a new recipe. DW made a fig sauce over chicken last night because defrosting turned up the fig stuff from eons ago.

khemistry - Yep, 'Becksters' works. Beck's Pink book gives an example Response Card on page 27
Remember, the bread will be tempting, but I can
resist it. It's more important to me to lose weight.
If I eat the bread, I'll get momentary pleasure, but
afterwards, I'll feel worse.
Kudos for getting workout clothes that fit so you can use them.

We tend to use the whole group of us as our Diet Coach. It's neat; we're all different and you never know who will say just the word that reaches into our brain. We post daily - or as close as we can. Don't get stymied by trying to do too many personal responses - they're not the most important part. When first starting, daily is helpful for accountability and getting a few responses can be so encouraging. You're off to a roaring good start.

Readers -
Quote:
day 6 Find a Diet Coach
...Knowing that you have to report
on your progress to someone else
can
.motivate you to stick to your plan.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 85.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:12 AM   #231  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Back home and am off to my early shift at work. A brief check in is better than none. credit. Food was a little loose on my "mini vacation" but I'm back at it today. My new challenge....left the scale over there and am too cheap to buy another so I have a 10 day challenge to monitor my weight "intuitively". That's ok. When confronted with which pants to wear to work I picked the smaller ones. That's a good gauge for me.

Take care everyone.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:16 AM   #232  

S/C/G: 106.4/ticker/?? (kg)

Height: 169cm

Hello coaches,

I did good today. Spent the day doing the rest of the pre-inspetion cleaning and was in a completely foul mood by the end (I hate cleaning with a passion). Was quit convinced that the only thing that could possibly make me feel human again would be junk food, and lots of it, but somehow, miraculously, I ended up deciding not to and had an OP snack instead. Also somewhere in the midst of it found a way to tell my partner what I needed him to say and do to help me stop being so grumpy (and phrased it as what I need, not what should be happening). So now I have a clean house and a clean conscience.

Gardener joy - yay for meeting your August weight loss goal!

Maryann - loved the story of your son pleading for the return of your real face. Your "longest run of OP days" sounds like a great challenge. I am challenging myself to have "lights out" by 10.30pm every night from here to Thanksgiving. Getting enough sleep makes such a difference to my well being - and is so hard to make a oriority. Provided I stop typing in the next 36 minutes I'll have 5 days down.

Khemistry - I found the early references to response cards a bit confusing too - she includes reading them on the daily to do list without very clearly explaining what they are. A bit later on (maybe day 25 or so) there is a chapter about the 7 question technique which gives a lot more information about how to create a good response card. Basically though - like national Parker said - it is just a response to a sabotaging thought that you put onto a card so that next time you are having the thought you can whip out the card and counter it, rather than having to work out in the moment what you need to not cave to it. So for example today when I was faced with "I deserve a really big treat for all this hard work" I responded with "that's true, but you also deserve to go on pack walks in beautiful wilderness and to wear that divine blue velvet dress again - up to you to choose which you want more". In relation to your question about weight watchers - I think you can use whatever food plan or diet you want with Beck - really Beck is just about tools to help you overcome the mental hurdles to sticking to whatever plan you choose. My diet has unlimited vegies (actually it is a minimum amount!) and it works fine - each days eating plan just involves a plan to eat at least 2 1/2 serves vegies, and I am OP if I eat that amount, or any amount more. Sorry so long a reply. Yay to you for all those credits. I think credits are the most powerful part of the Beck approach.

National Parker - yay for planning (not just hoping) for good choices

New lifestyle - what a great reflection that your snack was not a bad choice, just not the best use of the opportunity. I think there has been quite a shift for me from "I better eat that because I might not get another chance" to "maybe don't eat that because there might be other things you'd rather have, and you can't have them all".

BBE - yay for a 6 hour hike and good boots and socks to keep your feet happy. Yum to fig sauce on chicken!

Lexxiss - yay for wearing the smaller pants!
Old 08-25-2013, 09:30 AM   #233  
Green Tomatoes

On plan! The salmon sandwich from Friday night's leftovers was delicious -- and there's enough for today, too!

WI: NC in kg, Exercise: +80 1100/1500 minutes for August, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

khemistry: I didn't do Beck with Weight Watchers but that was always my back up plan. I consider myself virtually unlimited on veggies, although I still write them on my plan in advance (BIG Salad). What I like about Beck is that it helps you see things experimentally. If you're not getting the results you want (either the scale numbers or the mental space of not feeling like an overeater), you'll look at what you're doing and say, "hmm, maybe eating a whole watermelon wasn't that great of an idea" and then you'll write "1/4 of a watermelon" on your plan for the next day. And, maybe, you'll write a response card that says "My largest serving size of watermelon is a quarter of one." And next summer, you might decide that a 2-inch slice is just right.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:12 AM   #234  

Good Morning, Coaches.

Yesterday was mostly OP except the old habit of snacking for dinner reared up and bit me in the behind. Credit for yoga and playing in the club's pool with DS. All in all a lovely day. DH has to work all weekend (nights as well) but he will slip up for lunch at a restaurant for a few hours. Looking forward to a buffet, I ate only 2 eggs and a pear this morning. I plan a huge plate full of greens. I also plan a garden smoothies. I MUST up my veggie intake.

Checked out the first season of Downton Abby from library. Watched it all in one night. I think I'll just read the summaries on line. I am not a soap opera kind of gal —too controlling. I want to know everyone is ok and not worry.

nationalparker: loved the advantage card" Hunger is fine and normal" A successful day is when I feel my stomach slightly concave when I lie in bed.

BBE: Your hike sounds wonderful.

ForMyGirls: Sleep is absolutely precious. I am a morning person and love to go to bed early. but hormonal changes often cause me to wake. I have found exercise during the day helps me stay asleep at night.

Last edited by maryann; 08-25-2013 at 11:13 AM.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:11 PM   #235  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Hello coaches,
I had a great day today. Went for an hour walk today, ate on plan so far today, I have a friend who wants to bring fried chicken over tonight and I told her that I didn't want any and that I could make supper. I made a salad with grilled chicken so I am not tempted by the friend chicken meal.
I am working through my clutter and now I want to move, I would like to downsize.
BBE you hike sounds wonderful. I find wool socks make my feet and legs itch so I wear other socks under them.
ForMyGirls, I too see the difference it I don't get enough sleep. I find I need a plan to keep my on track when I am tired.
MaryAnn, wow looking forward to a buffet, I envy you, I am nervous every time I think of buffets. I am scared I will overeat.
Gardenjoy, You mentioning salmon is making me want to have some. Great job rationing out your salmon.
Debbie, oood luck monitoring your eating intuitively.

Hello to everyone else.

Have a great night.
Take Care
Ann

Last edited by Newlifestyle; 08-25-2013 at 06:13 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:12 AM   #236  

Evening coaches - OP today. Some credits - said 'not thanks' to cake (scary how often I get offered cake!), measured an allowed portion of chips with dinner and put the excess back, chose well at a lunch out, drank tea during a morning meeting at cafe.

Challenge - desperately behind with work but determined to get to bed on time tonight. Posting early tonight will help.

Random cool thing - the chips weren't nirvana. Maybe next time I won't even bother :-)

Gardener joy - yay for OP.

Maryann - LOL re the need to know all your TV characters are OK

New lifestyle - what a great strategy for coping with fried chicken in the house
Old 08-26-2013, 07:08 AM   #237  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Monday - National Dog Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – One more day of the fridge operating normally. Obviously, this thing had bugged me for me to be so happy for normal operations. Happy food event was observing that I'd let a coupon expire for a 12 pack of Coke for only 99 cents. I'd jumped through a hoop to get the coupon by turning in a Supermarket Card on the day they wanted it - I'd won the coupon as a reward. So it was a deal for me to recognize that I don't drink Coke and, oddly enough, don't know anyone that does that I could give them to. In the olden days, I'd have bought the Coke and consumed it just for the bargain.

It was an exercise day big time. Had two good walks in the morning, CREDIT moi. Then this was the day we go to a square dance with friends - a yearly event. It's a friendly social affair rather than serious dancing, but the activity level is still right up there.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Neat thoughts about figuring out what we can eat experimentally.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Yep, pants know. There's a Kustaka Myth Thread you might enjoy.

maryann - I've got to see the first season of Downton Abbey - DW and I are die-hard fans since the second season.

Ann (Newlifestyle) - Kudos for standing down friend fried chicken - that one would be hard for me.

ForMyGirls - Kudos for figuring out how to tell your partner what you need. That's got to be the secret of a long, healthy relationship.

Readers -
Quote:
day 6 Find a Diet Coach
tip!Whenever your diet
coach says something help-
ful, record it in your diet
notebook so you'll be able
to refer to it in the future
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 85.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 08-26-2013 at 07:14 AM.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:11 AM   #238  
Green Tomatoes

MiL should have gone to the rehab center yesterday or today but they're worried about some blood test results and other mysteries, so they're holding on to her. The hospital is about 10 minutes from our house (she lives closer to an hour away), so we're feeling kind of obligated to visit over every day. Glad to do it; glad we can do it. But I'm also observing how disruptive it is.

I made two reasonable substitutions to my written plan, so I'm happy with that. And I'm happy with having a plan written for today as well.

WI: -0.15kg, Exercise: +60 1160/1500 minutes for August, Food: 80%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 08-26-2013, 01:35 PM   #239  

Good Morning, Coaches.

Yesterday was a very blue day. I was down for no apparent reason. DH was incredibly kind as we sat at the buffet and I wept unconsolably. The waitress brought over paper napkins and said, "These are better for crying than cloth." And I thought I was being quiet and unobtrusive. I don't know what the answer is. In may ways, I am a product of my biochemistry. I do many, many things to be a good wife, mother, teacher, etc. . . I exercise, try to eat correctly, abstain from alcohol, help others in a twelve step program, etc. . . but there seems to be no solution for when I am truly down. Yesterday I told DH that he and DS were the only reason I keep "army crawling" through this life. It certainly feels true when I say it. Today seems a little better. I have a line on a new doctor. I am going to get a complete physical and bloodwrk. Maybe there is more I can be doing. As for today:

Credit for OP through my sadness.
Credit for step class.
Credit for checking in.
Credit for buying carpet tape, cutting up the honeydew melon, getting the piano tuned and the hundred other little things that seem to bind me to sanity.

Tonight we go to the Rivercats game (minor league team for the Oakland A's.) Grateful that I have DS' face to look at on a cool, Indian summer's evening when nothing else makes sense.

Last edited by maryann; 08-26-2013 at 01:37 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:11 PM   #240  

Busy morning so no time to exercise before work. So am posting to make a commitment to exercise this afternoon once the busyness is over! Will report it when it is done.
Closed Thread