Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 06:57 AM   #121  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Monday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Such nice weather for walking! Did three walks, CREDIT moi. Everything is maximum summer lush. We picked our first HUGE tomato from our community garden. Hope it becomes lunch today.

Planned meals were right on target, CREDIT moi, but snacking remained higher than planned - Ouch. I've got a bunch of stuff to get done today; hope to work through the list rather than snack about not doing it.

onebyone – Now you've reminded me that it's been years since I've done a water park; I just love them. I need to remember that I can go even though I no longer have young kids as an excuse.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – If the kitchen scale is what it takes then Yay for the kitchen scale.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Can't think of anything less appealing than a 'wilty' salad - Kudos for digging in, anyway.

maryann - Happy Anniversary - a dozen years and still going. Love the thought, "All is well."

nationalparker – We have one item from Williams Sonoma - a large lasagna pan of sturdy aluminum that DW loves. Paid dearly for it.

VioletDolphin83 – Sounds like you're plugging away on that Green Book.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – That's a lot of food to have to work through. I'd love to have a friend who would help me clean my basement.

IBelieveInMe2 – Great to hear that you've got progress on the foot. Sending best supportive thoughts to getting back on track with exercise.

Tracey (Tracey on a journey) - Good luck buying that 5th wheel; is that for camping? [Yep, Salem has some beautifully restored properties. The Witch Trial stuff is over-the-top promoted; we've seen it once some decades ago so don't need to revisit. It's a frightening bit of American history.]

ForMyGirls - Monster Kudos for avoiding bacon while cooking it - yep, it just screams, "Eat me." Your home 'farming' sounds like fun.

3rdTimeLucky - Yay for busy and Yay for sore from working out.

Readers -
Quote:
day 5 Eat Slowly and Mindfully

How to Notice What You're Eating
Here are some tips to help you concentrate.

solve problems
It can be difficult to eat slowly and mindfully when you have a lot of responsibilities to fulfill. Here are some suggestions for some specific difficulties (ask a friend for help with other problems).
The Kids. There are lots of nice things about family life, but eating in a relaxing atmosphere is often not one of them. It's easy to lose track of what you're eating and how you're eating when you have to pay attention to small children. Some of the dieters I work with alternate supervision with their spouses or partners. You might want to try this strategy, too.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 81.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:41 AM   #122  

S/C/G: 106.4/ticker/?? (kg)

Height: 169cm

Aagh - feeling exhausted by it all tonight. Was a non-stop day that ended with a music concert for my kids which had a spread of munchies at the end. A really cold day and I was at my office, which has pretty inadequate heating and my back was quite sore so it just feels like it has been hard work all day. But if I stop for a moment and think about the isn't fairs - it isn't fair that some people are alone in the world and struggling to survive while I have children to adore who have the opportunity to play music. And it isn't fair for some people that they don't have a job or work long hard days and something they hate, while I get to spend my days doing things I love (even if it is in a cold office!) so - that has helped.

Some credits: said "no thanks" to a mid morning coffee despite the response in my head being "oh man that would be nice". 100% OP. worked out that I can alter my exercise plan for the morning to walk around the house for 15 mins instead of doing the exercise bike (which I think is aggravating my back) and then use the leftover time for some extra back stretches. I have really cemented this eating sitting down and mindfully thing. I am doing it absolutely every time.

Nationalparker - your stargazing backyard surprise sounds just gorgeous - what a lucky fella your DH is

One by one - I loved your delight in the water rides!

Gardener joy - nice work in thinking to get out the kitchen scales.

Maryann - happy anniversary!

3TL - yay to you for making time to post despite being busy

Beth - well done for noticing the difference between how you eat "off plan" now and what you would have done a year ago

I believe in me 2 - LOL on the "hope I want to exercise this much when I'm allowed to". Whole pile of will power dust on it's way to Ohio now. It's special red dust from Central Australia - hangs on like nobody's business so I reckon that trainer will be booked before you know it.

BBE - so jealous on the tomato! Even our fwrmer's markets here have run out of anything with flavour - my farmer boy has our seedlings started in a special frost protected temperature controlled kit so hopefully we'll get an early crop.

Night all - mood is much improved for checking in with you all.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:31 AM   #123  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Another brief check in (important) before I head to work. The bros are gone and I did quite well at brunch. Resisted lots...watched others eat mass quantities and left satisfied. I made a plan to get back on track right away and followed my plan last evening. I recognize the "after effect" of events so the sooner I get right back to a more strict plan the better. I accept that my body likes to gain. Off to do my morning exercises before work. credit.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:02 AM   #124  
Green Tomatoes

The scale turned around. I enjoyed using my kitchen scale and it did help me keep the serving sizes in check. I'll keep doing that today.

WI: -0.4 kg, Exercise: +30 495/1500 minutes for August, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 08-12-2013, 10:46 AM   #125  

S/C/G: 190/185/179

Height: 5'4"

Good morning! Here I am checking in to say that I've gone over my Advantages Response Card. With regards to Task 7: Arrange your environment, the main change I need to make is to keep cashews OUT of the house: for now, at least. (My son loves them, so at some point I'm going to need to figure out a way to bring them back in). Task 9 is an exercise plan. I knew this would be coming, so a couple of weeks back I joined a local fitness facility that focuses on group classes. My favorite is the body pump class and my current plan is to attend that class on Mon, Weds and Fri. Today's class is in 45 minutes, so I best get ready!
Old 08-12-2013, 11:16 AM   #126  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good morning, Coaches.

End of my summer vacation today. I am back to the office and it will be very busy. I have some anxiety. The school district in all its wisdom hired another "me" and assigned her to my school without telling my principal or asking me to apply for the position. This person will be carrying out the district agenda and not our programs. My boss is very supportive but in the end he can not pay for an extra position. I will either have to apply with the district and be their handmaiden or find another position. I know he will want me to stay at our school but maybe it is finally (after 17 years) time to move on.

This makes me very hungry and nothing is changing until June!!!!! Do I have to be hungry till June?

I read something yesterday. One of the ways my life will be measured is by how graciously I have let go of things no longer meant for me. I look back at my life and the scariest times were gateways to my greatest gifts: the psych ward for suicide attempts leading to getting sober; a teacher/parent conflict that drove me to a brand new school where I met my wonderful husband; the most challenging class in 24 years of teaching convincing me to get my MFA.

So why do I question my God's larger plan for me? Because I am a control freak who refuses to control one of the few things really under her power — what she puts in her mouth. The paradox reels the mind.

What will bring me peace is what always brings me peace. Binding myself to my best rules of conduct: refusing to allow myself excuses for bad behavior; making a food plan and sticking to it, forgiving myself and others; laughing at every opportunity; hugging my boys with wild abandon. By consenting to be bound, I will be free.

Long winded, but it made me feel better. Best to Reesuh. I love Tucson. I spent many days hiking in your beautiful mountains ranges.

Last edited by maryann; 08-12-2013 at 11:21 AM.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:18 PM   #127  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

I just wanted to pop in quickly to say thanks to everyone who writes such wonderful, long and short, posts in this thread. It makes me realize that, despite falling off the Beck buick or whatever, I can climb back on and be supported. In a PM on another topic, ForMyGirls addressed something to me that made me think. Was I following Beck's and was the program not working? No and who knows because I didn't give it enough of a shot. I'm following whatever suited me at the moment and clearly NOTHING was going to work with that method. So ... out came the Beck's book this morning and read a little and it's going to be more a part of my day as I deserve it, not that I'm punishing myself by redoing homework. Credit.

Lunch was a bit heavier than I had initially planned, so removing the bun with the turkey burger tonight will even that out. Wondering why I always need some cute number to go along with my goals? 30 days until my birthday, 101 until December starts, etc. I always am counting thru to something but never reaching that ending point of, "okay, I got HERE, and now to work toward THAT." Will work on that. Work is picking up heavy now and the stress is increasing incrementally.

Maryann - I feel for you with the newcomer at your work ... how insightful for you to realize the good things that come after things you think are really trying you.

Lexxiss - May I hold onto your phrase "resisted lots... left satisfied."

ForMyGirls - Great of you to think of your thankfulness when faced with situations that are less than ideal. I'm working on that, too.

GardenerJoy - I, too, need to bring my food scale down from the top of the fridge and use it - potatoes are a culprit, as is chicken. I count potato as less and meat as more a spudlover.

Bill - Not topic-related, but want to say a heartfelt thank you for ensuring the positivity and continuity of this thread that I enjoy checking in on, even on days that I have nothing positive to report. Muchas gracias.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:41 PM   #128  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Exclamation sanity

Hi Coaches

maryann wrote:
Quote:
What will bring me peace is what always brings me peace. Binding myself to my best rules of conduct: refusing to allow myself excuses for bad behavior; making a food plan and sticking to it, forgiving myself and others; laughing at every opportunity; hugging my boys with wild abandon. By consenting to be bound, I will be free.
This knocked me upside the head. It feel so sane and shows me how faulty my thinking is right now. Thanks for the reminder that contains within it a plan. All the truths I have ever found in life are indeed encased in paradox.

Food today is all wrong. DH is bringing really crap food into the house like he used to pre-Diabetes diagnosis. I don't know why. I wonder if it's a reaction to my brother's death, to just simply dropping dead? His boss told me at the company picnic that he knows f at least 3 other men who did just what my brother did: drop dead in an instant. It's not something I ever associate with women -- but I suspect that that is a total fallacy. It probably happens just as frequently. i remmebr reading that women's heart disease is more deadly than men's as it is often not diagnosed at all. hard to believe that in 2013 this disease can still be such a mystery.

Ok, I'm off to create a written foodplan. I can act on it by buying y supplies when DH gets paid on the 15th. I can do what I can with what I have starting at my next meal. *credit* and I did walk my walk yesterday at a new mall, plus opting to walk to check out another store across the street and around the corner and then walking back to the car. That was good. Today I have been completely inactive. I will change that with the wii walkout game.

Bye for now.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:00 PM   #129  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Hello everyone,
I too am drawn back to all the wonderful support of this site.
Thank you all for being here.
I realize I need so much help, I can find many things here and I just need to understand that it is okay to need help and ask for it. I will try to work on that. (very confusing to me) I think I sometimes practice avoidance, if I don't think about something I don't have to acknowledge it.

Today I walked for an hour and I have eaten well for today.

Have a great day

Ann
Old 08-12-2013, 09:32 PM   #130  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Hi all,

Today was OP food and exercise wise, so I feel good about that. I didn't plan this week's meals last night, but it turned out that I had time to go to the grocery store after all. So, I planned the week's meals while shopping. I feel pretty good about the week's plan.

I did have a surprise 'twinge of temptation' today when there were cookies on the receptionist's desk at work when I walked in and then cake on the table next to the printer. I was surprised to even have a faint "hmm...I could"--I haven't had that at work in a long time. I did not give in to it, however, although I admit to being relieved when the cookies were gone! I think giving in to temptation this weekend strengthened my giving in muscle--and now I have to work that resistance muscle back up to strength again.

I feel as if I follow Beck when it's easy--and Beck has helped me so much in the daily routine--but I ignore what I know I need to do when I travel or go to parties. That has to change--especially since I'm leaving Sunday for a week in California (can't wait to see DS, and my brother, and my nephew, and the many other family members who will be attending my nephew's bar mitzvah).

I have response cards for parties--but I don't re-read them over and over in the days leading up to a party or re-read them during the party when I need to. I can't get the results I want unless I improve that.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:30 AM   #131  
Piggies obsessed

S/C/G: 300/275/140

Hi coaches!
Today I'll be starting on stage 1. I'm a lot more determined than any of my previous efforts at weightloss. I've talked to my husband about my desire to lose weight and have gotten him to help out with motivating me to lose weight in general, to stop suggesting any junk food when going shopping and make sure I get my exercise done.
Hopefully this time I'll be successful at keeping my weight down.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:52 AM   #132  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Tuesday - Left Hander's Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Gym was gym, CREDIT moi. Another guy helped me get the dumbbells back into their rightful slots - bemoaned together that there used to be a staff guy who did this daily. Yay that I'm not the only compulsive member of my gym.

Food was OK, CREDIT moi - superb with the meals, not perfect in the snack area. Dinner was leftovers on the patio. I served myself from the three containers in the fridge leaving about a half serving in each. Super CREDIT moi for not just 'rounding up' to make my portion the remainder as I would have done in the past. What's left may make a lunch for one of us or it may get tossed. I can live with that.

onebyone – Ouch for such a brutal reminder of our mortality right after your brother's death. Kudos for walking.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yay for scale jitter in the right direction.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – So neat to "watched others eat mass quantities and left satisfied."

maryann - That unexpected change at work is a bummer. Super Kudos for your perspective, "by how graciously I have let go of things no longer meant for me."

Ann (Newlifestyle) - Yep, needing people is OK, according to that great psychotherapist, Dr. Barbara Streisand.

nationalparker – Yay for pulling out the Beck book. Reminds me of the adage, When all else fails, follow instructions. [Thanks for the kind words.]

VioletDolphin83 – Stage 1 more determined than ever is a great start.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Ouch for there always being food at work. Kudos for leaving it alone.

ForMyGirls - Kudos for recognizing that 'not fair' cuts both ways.

reesuh - Cashews are just evil - I don't allow them in my house. They used to be my handful nuts.

Readers -
Quote:
day 5 Eat Slowly and Mindfully

How to Notice What You're Eating
Here are some tips to help you concentrate.

solve problems
It can be difficult to eat slowly and mindfully when you have a lot of responsibilities to fulfill. Here are some suggestions for some specific difficulties (ask a friend for help with other problems).
The Kids. . . .
For example, once everyone is seated at the table, you eat just part of your meal, as slowly and mindfully as you can. When the kids leave the table, you get up, too. Supervise the kids for 10 or 15 minutes while your spouse finishes eating and then switch so your spouse can do the supervision while you finish your meal. (Thank goodness for microwaves, so you can reheat your food.) The next night, do it the opposite way.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 81.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:27 AM   #133  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Hi Coaches!

I slept in and am now a bit behind. I WILL get my home exercise in before work. It doesn't happen if I think I'll wait until afterwards. Food was ok yesterday....I had an unplanned (bacon) snack at work so called it dinner and enjoyed fresh fruit and yogurt when I got home. I've found a new willingness to "balance things out" during my day and I'm grateful for that. I DID resist the giant burger my bosslady tried to talk me into sharing. She's supposed to be losing weight, too, and I've accepted that she feels better when she wants to go off plan if she has a partner in crime. As expected, she ordered and ate it herself. Sleeping in...I didn't write my plan for the day I will do that from work.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:29 AM   #134  
GlenwoodHotSprings

PS- I just noticed (Thx BBE) it is Left Handers Day. I'm a leftie. Any other lefties here??
Old 08-13-2013, 09:04 AM   #135  

S/C/G: 106.4/ticker/?? (kg)

Height: 169cm

Some credits for today - resisted temptation to "eat on the run" during a "not enough time" workday (and was rewarded with a leftover serve of dairy and fruit so got to have some dried figs and yoghurt tonight - which I enjoyed so much more thanI would have enjoyed eating an apple while typing); said "no thank you to another coffee offer from a colleague; read my response cards twice despite the "not enough time" factor; did a good job of explaining to my girls that we would be having Icecream treats from the gelato shop on Friday night but that we would only be having one scoop each!

A challenge today - my back has continued to be quite sore whic has gotten me into a big tangly space in my brain where I don't know if I am not exercising because that is sensible or because I am slack and using it for an excuse. I think I have worked my way through it OK - but just as I type I am thinking that maybe what I need to do is set myself a time limit for the "no exercise so it can heal". So here's my deal with myself. If it is not better enough to exercise by Monday then I organise a massage. If it doesn't need a massage by then, then I start exercising again. And I am in this for the long haul so one week without planned exercise does not mean I have failed or fallen off the wagon!

A totally cool thing from today - a workmate said "you're looking very fresh today" - which I'm choosing to interpret as "there's something different about you, not sure what it is, but I like it" :-)

Lexxis- what a right in phrase "the after effects of events". And wow for your insight into you co-worker's need for a partner in crime - and even more impressively you ability to not be sucked in to the vortex!

Gardener joy - woohoo for the turned around scale!!!

Reesuh - yay to you for getting your environment right And for choosing an exercise plan. Hope you enjoyed the class.

Maryann - "by consenting to be bound I will be free" - wow - that is so so true. Thank you for sharing your long winded ness - it was beautiful. And how awesome that you have taken such a forgiving approach to some tough news.

National Parker - yay for starting the re-read, for treating it as a reward and not homework and most of all for giving yourself credit for both these things :-)

One by one - yay for posting some clear immediate steps to get on track

New lifestyle - delighted to hear you ask for help! Well done!

Beth - well done for being so honest with yourself about needing to improve in how you approach parties and the like.

VioletDolphin - yay for telling your husband about your decision to lose weight and for talking to him about what you need him to do to support you.

BBE - LOL at the thought of two compulsive souls getting all the dumb bells lined up :-) such a beautiful thing to find a kindred soul in an unexpected place :-)
Closed Thread