Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 05:39 AM   #31  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Friday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Exercise was weeding our community garden, CREDIT moi. As I harvested the last sugar snaps, DW pulled out the dying vines to allow more sun on the tomato plants. For weeding, DW showed me the narrow hoe from our very own basement; just the feature that drew me to the Korean ho-mi tool. It worked as I had hoped which, unfortunately, means that I don't get to buy an expensive new tool. But I still had to squat and sort out the weeds from the pulled up dirt. Our grass grows roots that are deep and can travel a foot laterally. DW snorted a bit because real gardeners kneel in the dirt to take each weed personally. Also did gym, welcoming the cool place. Saw last night's fireworks from a local high spot without having to join the crowds at the Charles River.

Eating was exactly as planned, CREDIT moi, with a calorie surprise. When set out on an emergency walk to fetch a green Bell Pepper, I discovered small containers of Italian Ice in the spontaneous purchase spot at the checkout. What could be better for a hot evening than ice? Dinner on the patio was our Fourth of July favorite pasta salad and deviled eggs (with Dill added this year, Yum). Then the cooling Italian Ice. Great idea! Until I read the label after dinner - those small suckers carry 250 calories of ice. That's some heavy ice, LOL. I'm really bummed; I thought I had found the secret of desserts. My advice of the day: read the label. <blush>

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Those are two big "baby steps" - Kudos.

silverbirch – Neat idea to use the larger plate to spread out the food instead of the usually recommended smaller plate to keep us from serving larger portions. [Thanks for the reminder that there're more beeps to discover.]

nationalparker – Sounds like a good Fourth - fireworks then stars. Hope your mother improves and gets released. Ouch for "SOLID ROCK HARD ice cream" - except as a deterrent to dipping in an unplanned spoon.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Hope you continue to do well at your extravaganza. Passing up carrot cake is Kudos worthy since our brains can get tricked by the goodness of 'carrot.'

sparks17 – Kudos for some serious planning for the Fourth of July celebration/nephew's birthday, especially the 7 Questions Technique. I love the visual, "I will not have ... anything small and snacky."

Readers -
Quote:
day 4 Give Yourself Credit

. . . Do you have a tendency to focus on the negative, berating yourself for everything you do wrong? To counteract this tendency, it's important for you to learn to give yourself credit for everything you do right.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 74.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:18 AM   #32  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

I've been busy...we brought mom with us after her fall and I need to be a bit more attentive to her over here. Her forehead is healing nicely and she enjoyed the pool, too.
Food wise, I've been very mindful. Op choices and another successful night at our fav Mexican restaurant where I was the only one who practiced any restraint. Credit. Our holiday treats were watermelon and fresh picked raspberries....I was reminded of so many changes from the "good ol days"

Take care everyone. We travel this afternoon.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:54 AM   #33  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

TGIF - thankful that I've taken the day off. I have needed to recharge mentally and think the time "alone" while DH is sleeping from working nights is key. Landscaping is sitting idle until late afternoon, I suspect. Plans include laundry, library and a matinee movie alone. Will stop at Trader Joe's for parmesan for a linguini dish in a few days. My mom should be released this afternoon, so I'd like to send flowers there tomorrow morning - make sure someone is home to receive delivery.

I was afraid that I'd give in and eat the "missing" meal yesterday, but realize that I didn't need it and had eaten enough calories anyway. Credit on that.

Bill - Thank you for the post today on Credit. I have not done that in weeks. Clearly being an imposter on the Becks site here. All I seem to see are the poor choices and inactivity, instead of the small steps forward. Ouch on the Italian Ice... I feel your pain.

Beth - Sounds like you're amassing the Credits left and right, and only one meal of too much among all of the temptations you're surrounded with, is amazing. Are you seeing people who haven't seen you in a while? If so, are you getting great feedback on your progress?

Lexxiss - Safe travels today! Your watermelon and berries sounds wonderful. I will pick up some watermelon today - it slipped my mind. Hoping for continued good progress for your mom.

GardenerJoy - Great job for the incremental steps and for recognizing that it's guiding you back to your goals! Had you said you were reading Nourishing Traditions? I got the suggestion on this forum, and have checked it out, but struggle with accepting the thoughts as valid and not based in accurate science. I need to figure out how to "vet" some of the statements as fact or not. I have been trying to cut out "fake" foods like margarine and turning to olive oil instead, and choose to not eat beef/pork for other reasons than health. I need to check your blog out to see if you have reviewed it!
Old 07-05-2013, 04:11 PM   #34  
Fighting the Good Fight

Height: 5'1"

Greetings,

Really. Everyone seems to be doing well this week-it makes me happy to see!

Oddly, my wheat free stretch continues. I've found bean chips for dipping, and had already made a habit of using romaine leaves in place of bread for roll ups and sandwich wraps. It's truly nice to be free of the deep, frantic cravings for some of the stuff I'd felt helpless around in the past. HOPING this trend continues!

Our house was a major Stress Zone on the 4th. Only Mycroft the Puppy seemed unfazed by the fireworks. The three other dogs were wrapped in their Thunder Shirts and hiding in the bed with my husband. All the intense noise went on until after midnight--DH and DS both get anxious too. Wondering about Thunder Shirts for humans....just glad it's over for another year.

Painting in the beach trailer we're desperate to sell. Watching Mycroft take on a beach ball. Planning grilled chicken and veg-k-bobs for tonight.

Onward, spanks

Last edited by spanky; 07-05-2013 at 04:13 PM.
Old 07-06-2013, 01:17 AM   #35  
Green Tomatoes

Three credits for:
  • eating in my eating places
  • eating foods that work well for me
  • getting out of bed to write my report here when I realized I'd forgotten

Tomorrow will be a challenge with a family gathering that's part business meeting , part holiday party. This confuses my social skills and can lead to eating at odd moments, in odd places, and odd foods. But we're bringing stuff we can eat, so there should be plenty of food even if I ignore what doesn't work well for me, and I'll be careful about eating only while seated.

nationalparker: I was not the one who recommended Nourishing Traditions, but I have looked at it a couple of times and had the same response you did. I felt like I needed to verify everything. I don't have that response with other books, so I got frustrated and gave up on it. I wanted to like it more than I did.

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 07-06-2013 at 01:18 AM.
Old 07-06-2013, 02:52 AM   #36  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Hi all.

Successful walk. Successful lunch. Snacking and snacking and no dinner--not so successful. I'm still doing so much better than I've done at any other gathering like this, so I'm counting it as progress.

Late night, though, and I'm ready for bed!
Old 07-06-2013, 03:05 AM   #37  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Didn't manage to get here yesterday as I fell asleep after a stressful time. This meant I woke, woozy and hungry, and ate a few oatcakes at the counter. Couldn't trust myself to sit down again but needed food. (Shakiness means that in my body usually.)

I'm looking forward to a better day today with time in the garden. And the sun is out!

Have a good day, everyone!
Old 07-06-2013, 05:05 AM   #38  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Spent long hours updating the AntiVirus software on my computer. My subscription needed renewal so I took the opportunity to switch brands - sorta like a divorce with instant remarriage. Naturally, the new brand found some more marketing stuff hiding in the dark so now my computer runs like new again. Such a first world problem. CREDIT moi for taking care of those things that need attending.

Food was on plan, CREDIT moi, with blueberries and strawberries providing the sweets for the day. Dinner on the patio was delayed until it got cool enough to sit comfortably. I gave myself permission to have a FREE sample multi-grain chip with humus at Trader Joe's since I was delaying lunch and had several much worse options available.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Kudos for "we're bringing stuff we can eat" to solve the meeting/party problem.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Hope your mom continues to heal. "Watermelon and fresh picked raspberries" is perfect Fourth of July celebration food.

silverbirch – Yay for sunshine and "time in the garden."

spanky - LOL at "Thunder Shirts for humans" - perhaps Snacking Shirts and Second Helping Shirts as well.

nationalparker – Oh Yes, Kudos for recognizing that you weren't "missing" any meal that needed to be made up.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Continued Kudos for continued mindfulness at your event.

Readers -
Quote:

. . . Start now by telling yourself, Good Job, or the equivalent every time you sit down to eat, read a Response card, and complete every other weight-loss task in this program. By consciously giving yourself credit, you'll reinforce your self-confidence and build an awareness that you're strong and in control. When you overeat or eat in an unplanned way, you might begin to feel helpless, thinking, I just can't make myself do what I need to do. When you give yourself credit every time you do something right, though, you can more easily see such slips as momentary mistakes, not earthshaking events, and head off a sense of hopelessness.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:26 AM   #39  
Enjoying la bella vita

Drizzly, dreary morning here, which is kind of a funny sign to me since last night I was GUNG HO to get working early today on our landscaping project. I said I was just going to get back to work on it and the design would unfold as I worked. I think this is a sign that would not have worked out for the best/that it would have needed to be redone. Afternoon plans, if the rains continue, is to take a few hours and stroll through our museum of art alone. I have favorite paintings there that call me to come visit Also must get the marketing done.

Goal to be at 170.x by today and edge closer to my signature was a positive goal - was 170.6 today having dropped several pounds this week. I realize that I MUST have goals like that - that enabled me to not snack last night more than the thought that I didn't need it, etc.

GardenerJoy - Thanks for the validation on the book. I thought it was way too chemically based in some areas and too general in others. Back to the library with that one. Good luck resisting food you don't want at times that aren't the best for you with your gathering. Good planning!

BillBlueEyes - Good job tackling a project that I would put off until something happened (computer virus software) ... smart choice. I was a fellow Trader Joe's marketer yesterday, as well, and only zipped in for a few things, include the lattemiele biscuits I found there a few weeks ago - and bought a package to take home to my folks. Lightly sweet reminder of Italy. They're not low-calorie, but manageable.

Beth - Keep up the great work. Sounds like you're making SO MANY wiser choices this go-around. You're doing fantastic!

Spanky - Sounds like you're having a productive weekend! That feels wonderful, doesn't it? Credits for your ongoing wise choices!

I started (well, unofficially) the 100 days of weight loss reading and the first thing is to list the 10 reasons why ... so that got me rethinking and redoing my response cards for that. And I included the vain reasons that are more visible than "getting healthier", like getting back to my sexy lingerie, etc. This seems to go hand-in-hand with the same line of thinking with Beck's, just a bit different.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:47 AM   #40  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Exclamation checking in on my challenging "vacation"

Coaches

Please give me one of these --> next year if I plan a vacation in Ottawa. I should be relaxed by now. I am not. I am full of who do I see? who do I need to see? When can i fit them in? What about my mother? When do I see her? And it's too bad my siblings and I are estranged--should be easy to see them but can't. And does my SIL *really* not mind us staying this long at her house? Are we clean enough so she doesn't "get it" from her husband who's away but will be back on Thursday? (he's a clean freak-we are not). And then on top of this we are here for a 10 day music festival that requires much of us physically, basically endurance events: standing in place for 3-4 hrs as we wait, then watch the headlining muscial acts surrounded by, oh, tens of thousands of others doing the same, all trying to keep it together in the heat, humdiity and off and on rain. All reminding me that I am OLD-ish vs. the young folks getting high next to me, being drunk near me, hoisting themselves up above and surfing the crowd unless the crowd turns away, like we/they did the other night and the surfer just simply falls down. Then we leave, which takes quite a while to leave the crowd behind let alone negotiate getting the bus--with the thousands doing the same thing. Since we lived here, we know that if we walk about 30min to get to a bus stop 4-5 stops up the line from the mega crowd, we could get a seat. It was worth it for the seat.

Other issues directly related to weight that have come up:
1) buying chairs for the festival. DH got cheap ones for $9, but my first concern/question was "will they hold us?" He wasn't sure.
2) trying to find capris! OMG what is up with the stylists? Am I truly OLD-ish? Really? Everything I tried on was way big in the waist yet tight in my CALVES? Calves? Really? Used to this issue with tall boots, which I haven't ever really worn due to my large calves, but capris? Why are they made to hug us all the way down our legs?? Ended up with 2 skirts from Value Village, used clothes, in good shape, because although I really wanted something new, after visits to 3 stores and trying many things on, nothing fit/fit right. I am grateful I did find 2 skirts.
3) my SIL is really curious about our food. I feel under the microscope in many ways here.

*credit for cooking here from scratch using real food
*credit for planning meals and planning what we will bring to the festival site
*credit for being willing to do this very physically challenging event (the music is worth it though plus the photo-ops and the general experience)
*credit for the desire to have a plan and to stay on that plan

In addition, right before we left, I had to get a prescription refill for my BP meds and had a bad visit. The Dr. was on me about why I am not on cholesterol meds. OMG. He was about to just prescribe something to me and I held him off by telling him I have that big annual medical assessment thing coming up. I haven't scheduled it but I will, for the end of September, giving me a good 2 months plus to get a grip on myself and my food and everything. I so LOATHE my bp meds that another med will just send me around the bend if I don't try to do what I need to do. My goal is to get off meds not add them. He was also supremely unimpressed that I have remained the same weight since January. 254.
Yeah, I know.
What was great last year (down 40+) is no longer cutting it. Just not good enough.
I know.
And to top it off, he tried THREE large size cuffs, none of them worked and so no BP was taken. By the time he was on cuff#3 my BP would have really been skyhigh so I can thank the gods for small mercies.

I do have a few fun things though during my time here, top of which is printing in the print room I belong to. That will be next week. And I may get my hair done by SIL hairdresser who did a fantasic job with her mop!

Must go. Sorry this was so very long.

Enjoy your day.

Last edited by onebyone; 07-06-2013 at 10:57 AM.
Old 07-06-2013, 01:49 PM   #41  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Back from the East. DH, DS and I had a terrific time. I officially graduated and officially got my life back. Vermont and New Hampshire were beautiful. It was fun meeting BBE and his DW for dinner. Wonderful to have natives lead us around the city our first night in Boston. Good company and good food was a great way to start our adventure. DS fell in love with the city. He says we should only go to cities with big red lines connecting all the major tourist attractions (The Freedom Trail). Every time we got lost we just looked for the line because our hotel was ON it.

Credit for food being extremely reasonable. Breakfast/ snacks in the hotel room everyday - fruit, cereal, nuts, coffee. Only one restaurant meal out a day —each was extraordinary - italian at Limoncellos near the North Church (best hazelnut gelato EVER), Legal Seafood cam chowder and high tea at the Parks hotel ( with Boston cream pie). Credit for a ton of walking. I will weighi in on Monday morning.

Credit this morning for getting back to the discipline of logging in my food even though my mind is telling me I am still on vacation time so I still have a "pass" to eat like vacation. Credit for food shopping this morning to get some real food back in the frig.

Wave to all.

Last edited by maryann; 07-06-2013 at 01:52 PM.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:11 PM   #42  
Green Tomatoes

I caught myself eating while standing several times today. I'll attribute it to stress and use it to remind myself why it's so good to make that a habit. When it's a habit, stressful days make no difference -- I wash stuff off without even thinking about it. And that's less stress!

I did stick to the habit I'm trying to re-establish -- eating only foods that serve me well. Extra credit for the moment when my choice was "white bread or no bread" and I chose no bread. If I hadn't just made a pledge here, things would have gone differently. The Beck group was the collective voice in my head that helped me choose that path. Thanks, y'all!
Old 07-07-2013, 07:59 AM   #43  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Heard fireworks at 4am this morning - the celebration continues. It was hot all day. When we walked, CREDIT moi, after dinner in the cooler evening we stopped at our community garden to water the scorched tomato plants. The ground sucked up the water big time; I felt like a savior. I did enjoy seeing the garden without weeds, thanks to our efforts from the previous several days.

Food was on plan, CREDIT moi, including raspberries eaten straight from the bushes, while standing, in the park where we walked. Had to compete with two young teenage girls for the berries - they were nimble and fast.

onebyone – Kudos for continuing to go to Ottawa despite the pains. Yay for making the effort to be at the concert. And Ouch for a doctor who seems to be a tad rough in his bedside manner.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Monster Kudos for "white bread or no bread" and I chose no bread - so good to be reminded that life is possible without bread.

maryann - Welcome home. Glad to hear that you and your DS enjoyed Boston. I love the idea that the Freedom Trail is the trail of bread crumbs to find your way back to your hotel. Kudos for finding your way to the North End for Italian gelato and to Legal Sea Foods to enjoy the world's best Clam Chowda' - you found some of our best.

nationalparker – Thanks for the demo, "I MUST have goals like that - that enabled me to not snack."

Readers -
Quote:
tip!Create a "credit account." For every positive behavior you acknowledge, drop a coin or dollar bill (whatever is handy) into a special container. After you follow your diet plan for a certain number of weeks (you decide how many), take the money out, add whatever extra amount is required, and buy something for yourself that you might normally pass up, such as tickets to a play or sporting event.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:25 AM   #44  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Default Sunday

Good Morning Coaches

Woke up feeling better. A new week lies ahead and then it's back home and so I am all good. No coincidence that checking in and getting stuff out helped.

I stayed on plan. Chose well. Said no several times to sugary candy-like things. Drank a giant water through the new Superman movie. Walked a lot again. It will be much easier to do his kind of trip as the weight falls off. I think just simply carrying this extra 80-100lbs is HARD and TAXING. How could it not be? every morning as my body creaks to life I am reminded of this.

Today we may be sight-seeing in Quebec with SIL and then the bluefest n the eveing. Tomorrow I will visit my mum. Tuesday not sure what--could be printmaking inthe print room. Could be swimming at Silver Lake. We did discover the local swim hole. Petrie Island. We shoudl eb there right now, swimming, but with SIL on her one day off from work we felt we shoudl maybe all do something together. Why, I don't know, but I guess it's called "being social".

Ok better go. I plan to be OP today and to drink plenty of water and to take care of myself.

Have a great Sunday Becksters.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:52 AM   #45  
Enjoying la bella vita

Good day, all! I'm proud to have finally gotten my rear in gear and took our dog out for the full three-mile trail. I feel good. Am sweating and feel like I have a more sunnier outlook to the day. I talked to DH about getting out on the trail with me ... (well, when he's not working the 14 hour days/nights) in preparation for our camping trip late summer to Colorado. The last few times I was there, I was in GOOD shape, strong, halfway muscular, and about 30 pounds lighter. Even then I struggled with hiking and was out of breath more than I was comfortable. Now with this extra weight and being out of shape, I worry. Our Colorado fitness plan went by the wayside months ago, so I'm trying to regroup in these last weeks. If only for me and my mental approach to the trip.

Bill - I'm going to use your posting of the "credit account" to trigger me to walk more for credit. I will put a $1 in a jar for every walk/hike and see where I get to before our trip ... and then use the money for something that I wouldn't have normally bought before the trip - I am motivated by things like this - stickers on the calendar, whatever You couldn't have chosen a better fit for me today.

OneByOne - good choice with the big honking water during the movie; sounds like you are making wise choices! May that continue today!

GardenerJoy - That's STRONG to skip bread! I will choose warm fresh bread over any dessert... kudos to you!

Maryann - Credits for pulling yourself out of vacation food mind mode. I respect that as I have so much trouble doing that.
Closed Thread