Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 09:19 AM   #136  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Once again, I'm finally back at my "real" computer where I'm able to actually type vs hen peck with the iphone. Food choices have been great *credit* and it has been reflected on the scale. I have checked in everyday at SBD and with my Beck Diet buddy. Credit. I'm feeling confident about our trip on Wednesday and yesterday I completed my shopping with a trip to the store for undergarments for wedding day. I was pleased to again knock down another size w/brassiere. I purchased 2 new in the correct size although I certainly plan not to stay in that size, either. It's important to me to wear correct sized attire as I continue on my journey. Credit.
The water project continues and I hade to transfer 8K to the checking account, all from waitressing. I t is a great feeling to recognize the benefit to our financial situation which has been a result of my losing weight. This was not possible 90# ago. Credit.

ForMy Girls! I'm glad you found us. I also found BDS through 3FC and I've made great long term headway. My mindfulness of daily choices is greatly improved, especially as I have learned "I don't need to finish it." Awkward, still, at times when I'm leaving 3 spoonfuls of yogurt for tomorrow, but I'm learning it's ok. Dr. Beck says that many of us will lose some weight in the two weeks before we start our "diet" as we immediately become more mindful of our choices. Credit to you!

BBE, yay for OP eating! Take care in the heat! I couldn't miss your reference to your high potassium fruit. We are out of apples and have been using that high potassium fruit in our morning smoothies.

onebyone, kudos for continued mindfulness regarding your meat choices. You can get plenty of protein without it. Credit for reaching out to friends and getting everything lined out for your trip tomorrow.

Beth(fromDayton), thanks for sharing your pictures. What wonderful progress! Looking at your pics I can see why your family is so supportive of your process. They see your transformation every day and have become such a strong part of your support system. Credit to you all!

Gardenerjoy, yay for 100% op and a generous plan to beat back resistance. I wrote your 4 steps in my Beck journal. They have worked so well for you getting back on track. I am wising up and am anticipating the possibility that my resistance may be low as I return from this wedding trip. Credit to you and thanks for sharing your process. PS: love your insight on the benefits of having a food plan. How true!

Ann(newlifestyle), glad to hear from you any day! I've been missing you! Yay for exercising in the pool everyday. Question: Could you make a card which would help you with your resistance to posting here? When I hear your words, I am not worthy….I recognize that Dr. Beck has a CBT solution for sabotaging thoughts. Hope to see you soon….

nationalparker, yay for getting back on your bike! Credit credit credit! I love the experience of enjoying a beautiful morning on a bike. Even when I'm coasting I feel I'm making progress on another level.

IBelieveInMe2, glad to hear from you, too. I hope your foot surgery resolves your issues for good. It would be so nice for you to be pain free. Kudos for not completely abandoning your Beck principles. CBT is at work with you!

Maryann, kudos for weight at ticker and a successful $10 challenge. What personal growth as you recognized it's ok to make your own decisions about food choices when with others. Standing down the negativity of others is very powerful growth!

Tracey(on a journey), happy vacationing! I'm confident that even though you are new to Beck strategies that they will help you as you journey to Saskatchewan and Alberta. Have fun!

CeeJay and sparks!
Old 07-19-2013, 10:50 AM   #137  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Good Morning everyone,

Thank you Lexi and BBE for the kind words of encouragement.
I have been planning all my meals and that takes a bit of time with preparation. I find it easier to eat healthy if all the veggies are cut up and you just have to reach in the fridge and grab them.
I too enjoy the potassium rich fruit you have spoken of. My husband told me to stop buying so many as he can't stand to waste food so he bakes potassium rich bread with them once they start to ripen.
I went to farmboy and bought several different kinds of apples. I usually only by Gala apples but I am enjoying the honey crisp and Pink Lady apples.
I do wish I lived closer to Trader Joes, I enjoy their coffee as well as the other healthy items.
Beth, what a difference you are doing amazing.
Hello to everyone else.

Have a great day.

Onebyone, I am thinking of you, safe travels to Ottawa.

Take Care
Ann
Old 07-19-2013, 10:54 AM   #138  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

100% on plan again yesterday and I have today's plan written as well.

I got into chiggers last weekend and exercise makes me itch! Yesterday, though, I figured out that I could do it in 10 minute spurts without ill effects and managed 70 minutes that way! I may meet my goal of 1500 minutes in July yet.

To everyone who is reading but not posting. I was doing that last month. This month I am posting and my life is getting better. Just sayin'

onebyone: I'm glad to see that you continue to listen to your body / spirit and respond accordingly. Within reason, and you're well within it, that's a good way to take care of your self at this time. I'll be thinking of you this weekend.

Love your before & after bethFromDayton! You look great!

BillBlueEyes: good for you for finding a way to cope in this heat.

ForMyGirls: yay for eating while seated! That's an amazingly powerful concept.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:33 PM   #139  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default a grey-green sky

Hi Coaches

My potters' guild friend now has my keys to my apt. She'll be checking in on Caesar. *credit* I don't think I even told you that our holidays were cut 4 days short by a cat emergency last week. He had blood drops falling from his eye the sitter said and she took him to the vet--> infected eyelids/no blood just goopy stuff. He got a shot and she brought him back but we came home. I missed the acts I really planned to see. Still, we felt we had a vacation. And then my brother died, so now back to Ottawa we go--but new cat sitter and 3 nights max. Caesar is improved btw.

Today food called very strongly to me. I wanted to EAT, A LOT. I just sort of dismissed the drive to do that as not rational, not good for me, not needed... It was a bit scary how very demanding that urge was. It passed. I have not had meat again so far, and I made more soup. *credit*

*credit* I weeded the first area of my garden: 2 hills of watermelon, discovering a few marble sized ones, like the size of big marbles--croakies we used to call them-- 1 hill of cucumbers and oe of canteloupe. Everything is vining and flowering. It took about an hour and was deeply satisfying. We have a major storm right now (yay) so the whole garden will benefit from the rain. Lots of mystery tomatoes appearing.

Official weigh-in day: 252.2.
I was 258.8 on Monday.
Good riddance weight and the stress to put on my body.

Will check in later/tomorrow. I am holding all of you close as I navigate what will be three days of "food as comfort". I just don't see it the same way.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:41 PM   #140  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Hi all!

It's been an OP day for me. My walking partner wasn't in today, but I did my two walks on my own, so credit for that. I ate exactly what I intended to, except I didn't finish my rice at dinner--credit for stopping when I was full.

This evening, I watched a friend win on Jeopardy--I don't know how he's kept how he did a secret for so long--they're not allowed to tell anyone until it airs. I guess I'll be watching again on Monday!

Then I sewed--I put tucks in the waistbands of 2 pairs of jeans and a pair of capris so that I could continue to wear them. I know I'll be buying more new clothes, but want to avoid buying new jeans for a while longer. I have some too-big dress pants that would be too difficult to take in, so I will be buying new dress pants for work. I also did BFF's mending--buttons on one dress, taking in another dress, and fixing her apron.

DD is improving daily--the swelling is starting to go down, but she still doesn't look like herself. She left a book on my desk today--she wants me to read The Things they Carried so I guess that's on my list to read now.

Take care, all!
Old 07-20-2013, 06:30 AM   #141  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Saturday - Anniversary of First Step onto the moon

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Did gym to get cool, CREDIT moi. The guys doing a minor fix to the gutter on our front porch quit for the day because of the heat. I don't blame them and am grateful that they left it sufficiently operational for the expected thundershowers today. I can smell rain in the air as I type. Also exercised by watering our vegetable garden. Once again, I spotted a cuke only after I had finished my thorough search and was watering. I continue to marvel that an 8 inch cuke can hang invisibly on a small vine.

Food was on plan, CREDIT moi, including gazpacho for dinner on the patio made from the cukes I'd just picked. Life doesn't get better.

onebyone – Have a safe trip to Ottawa with its three days of "food as comfort",

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yay for reducing exercise to small chunks to create a large total.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Kudos indeed for "It's important to me to wear correct sized attire as I continue on my journey" - life is now, not just when we reach the next station.

Ann (Newlifestyle) - One of the great disappointments in my life was learning that "potassium rich bread" wasn't healthy, LOL. (Nor was carrot cake.) Kudos for cutting up the veggies in advance to make incorporating them easier.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Yay for the reality of needing to alter the clothes to fit the new body.

ForMyGirls - The seemingly little things, like skipping cheese on the hamburger, are Kudos events just for their mindfulness as you point out. LOL at clearing out your kids bags - BTDT.

Readers -
Quote:
day 4 Give Yourself Credit

Here are some suggestions to help you get started: . . .
. . . Reflect on your eating behaviors whenever you finish a meal or snack. Ask yourself, Did I remember to eat slowly? Did I notice every bite? Did I stop when the food was gone and refrain from taking seconds?

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 76.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:46 AM   #142  

S/C/G: 106.4/ticker/?? (kg)

Height: 169cm

Day 4 so I learnt about giving myself credit :-) and here I was just thinking you were all remarkably good at giving yourselves positive feedback!

So - some things that deserve credit from today: did all my eating sitting down, had just a few peanuts that were on the table, noticed sabotaging "I'm not on the diet yet so I can raid the pantry" thoughts this evening and realised a way to address them would be to read my index cards. Took the time to make a really yummy lunch with stir-fry veg and eggs from our lovely chooks.

A couple of lovely side benefits: felt like I was "in the zone" at one point on my bike this morning. Been such a long time since it has felt like anything other than a drudge. Felt motivated to sort out my little ones desk for her today which I have been wanting to get done for weeks. Have had a very peaceful relaxing "hiding from the cold weather" day today. Relaxed is not a state I find it easy to achieve so that was nice.

Challenge for the day: today I pretty much ate what I will be eating when I am on the diet. And I was hungry! These last 4 days have all been excitement and feeling empowered but there was a little bit of hard reality in there - this is going to be hard work!

Bit jealous of all you northern hemisphere gardeners - home grown watermelons and tomatoes. YUM!
Old 07-20-2013, 08:22 AM   #143  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default trip looms

Hi Coaches

Well, it's time to travel today. In about an hour we should be on the road. I am taking care with my food as I have been all week. I am not about to backslide in what I know will be heaps of Italian delicacies and bottles of wine and everything else. I can't do that. I do not want to dishonour my body or my brother or try to mask this event in anyway. I need to feel this, to really get this.

I was overcome by just simply packing my suitcase last night. Today I woke up wondering about all my brother's things. All his projects, and about the globe cactus he germinated from the seeds I brought back from the very first plane ride I ever took, in 1999 to Arizona, seeds I bought to the botanical garden that I shared wth him and he grew. His globe cactus was the size of a softball. Mine is withering.

Gotta go. Will check back in. Will not overeat in the car.

Bye.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:34 PM   #144  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

I had the day off work yesterday with dr. appts and half vacation day ... DH and I changed plans and went south a bit for lunch, then split up to browse in different stores before getting together to watch a movie at a dollar theatre I just found. Then dinner at a bbq spot where I made [cough] less than stellar choices but split it into two meals. Frustrated that I loved the slice of garlic toast to the tune of 250 calories (!) ... Logged it and counted it and went over and now am in the whole dang well ... I just stink at this, don't make progress, so what does today matter. So need to get out of this mentality asap. In thinking of credits, I did get up early and bike ride yesterday morning, walking for several hours shopping around.

Wait - I CAN rescue today. Starting now. Off to at least do some yoga, which I want to add back into my weekly routine a few times.
Old 07-20-2013, 04:49 PM   #145  

S/C/G: 106.4/ticker/?? (kg)

Height: 169cm

Credit to you National Parker for turning your headspace around! Hope you enjoy the yoga.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:19 PM   #146  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Hi all,

Today has been a great day. I got up early enough to go for a walk before my 9:00 appt. I got the car washed by the local show choir, returned books to the library, cleaned out my paper and email inboxes, cleaned out drawers--just an amazingly productive day.

And even while doing all of that, all my meals were OP and I'd had that morning walk.

So, credit for the whole day!

nationalparker: Credit for logging--and for splitting your meal into two meals (which can make a less than stellar choice into an acceptable choice). Bread is hard to skip, isn't it?

onebyone: Warm caring thoughts.

ForMyGirls: I laughed out loud at the "remarkable good at giving yourselves positive feedback"--we are, and you will be, too! Credit for biking "in the zone"--that sounds delightful.

BillBE: Your graden sounds fantastic. Fresh cukes turned into fresh gazpacho...credit--and jealousy!

gardenerjoy: Credit for writing out your plan--it makes such a difference, even if it is hard to get into the habit.

Newlifestyle: Credit for all the fresh produce you're prepping and eating. A friend of mine calls pre-prep "butchering the salad"! It's almost impossible to eat healthy by accident.

Lexxiss: Great to hear the scale is showing the results of your hard work. Enjoy your new undergarments!

Take care, all.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:26 PM   #147  
Green Tomatoes

Yesterday went kind of haywire. I made a couple of substitutions for my plan, but they were equivalent -- that wouldn't have been possible if I hadn't had a plan in the first place. Today, I never wrote down a plan but I ate exactly what I would have written down--it was all planned in my head and I treated that plan the same as if I'd written it.

I just wrote a plan for tomorrow.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:55 AM   #148  

S/C/G: 256/256/175

Height: 5'10

I'd like to join you guys. I'm planning on getting the book tomorrow. I wish it were available on the Kindle.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:13 AM   #149  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Welcome hughs dad

hughs dad

And, in honor of your first post,

How did you learn about the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you discover our Beck forum here on the site 3 Fat Chicks?
Old 07-21-2013, 05:16 AM   #150  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – The thunderstorms threatened all day but never arrived, but the heat broke by late evening. I was busy all day preparing for dinner guests. We were celebrating a birthday with a "Birthday Watermelon" - candles included. Much good fun. Family at its best is just great.

I ate on plan, CREDIT moi, despite having access to extra steaks at dinner. Some are in the fridge and some got send home with guests. CREDIT moi for sending away desirable food. But I could already feel the desire to eat too much - as if a left over didn't have calories, particularly a left over that I'd already chosen not to eat to stay on plan.

onebyone – Such a poignant understand, "I need to feel this." Sending supportive thoughts for the process.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yay for the freedom that comes from planning.

nationalparker – I'm always encouraged by the insight, "Starting now." I wish there was a BBQ place that had kiddie plates along with a huge salad so that a trip on plan was possible.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – I hate cleaning out in-boxes - both paper and electronic. For example, I saved the ad for home delivery of the New York Times at a really good price until I could work up the realization that I don't have a space in my life to read the New York Times every day. Kudos for your productive day.

ForMyGirls - Such a demonic Sabotaging Thought, "I'm not on the diet yet so I can raid the pantry" - I just love how insidious they can be. Kudos for recognizing it and acting. And thanks for teaching me the word 'chooks.'

hughs dad - Yep, I'm delighted that you've joined us. Which of Beck's books did you order?

Readers -
Quote:
day 4 Give Yourself Credit

Here are some suggestions to help you get started: . . .
. . . Buy a small Counter - the kind that people use to keep track of how much their groceries cost while they're shopping or that golfers use to keep track of their score - and click it every time you deserve credit. At the end of the day, record the number of clicks in your diet notebook.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 77.
Closed Thread